HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 5:02 AM

Rendering of the proposed hotel on Chestnut street:

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 2:09 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
Gas prices will surely help drive investment in the city, but I wonder how many people will consider moving into the city after all the negative press Midtown has gotten lately. There are a LOT of homes for sale in Midtown, at least 2-3 on each block! I wonder if these are people cashing out on the market right now or moving out because they are tired of the city....some of the homes have been sitting on the market since last winter.

For example, a few months ago there was one listing on Reily street....now after walking down the street yesterday there are five homes for sale just between 2nd and Third.
I think it is a lot of cashing out. They are seeing prices that the new places are getting and wanting that for their places. I looked at a place in Midtown about a year ago, and they were asking about 20k over the property value and didn't budge on the price at all. They finally found a sucker to buy it full price. Many of the properties for sale on Reily and other streets are part of the Green Street Properties and the WCI houses for sale. They bought a large number of houses revamped them and are reselling them to gentrify the area.

I think they caught most involved in the Midtown incidents, and don't worry; the Patriot News doesn't have that large of a readership. The incidents will quickly fade from memory.

I think they should put a unified facade on the building.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 4:02 PM
Man on a mission

ran across this on my trolling of the internet

from this Page. I thought I should share. I didn't know there used to be a Lord and Taylor in the Harrisburg Mall. Such a shame. I've heard it quoted here more than once that people would like to see one come into the area.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 5:24 PM

Upscale retail is exactly what the Harrisburg Mall needs. The new owners (they purchased the mall in 2003 I believe) have been trying to change the perception of the mall as a ghetto mall ever since. Unfortunately for them, our society has moved away from malls and towards lifestyle centers...not to mention the Harrisburg metro is overmalled as it is. It's kind of a shame because its really the nicest and largest mall in the area.

Some more information on the mall.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 7:03 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Upscale retail is exactly what the Harrisburg Mall needs. The new owners (they purchased the mall in 2003 I believe) have been trying to change the perception of the mall as a ghetto mall ever since. Unfortunately for them, our society has moved away from malls and towards lifestyle centers...not to mention the Harrisburg metro is overmalled as it is. It's kind of a shame because its really the nicest and largest mall in the area.

Some more information on the mall.
I wasn't sure what you mean by lifestyle centers so I looked it up. Reminds me a little of the Lehigh Valley Mall. I think that is a little of what the "Streetwalk" or whatever it is that they Mall is calling it is trying for with the new additions. hmm... I've been to a few of the larger malls east of us in Jersey. They weren't built all in one phase. I hope that the steetwalk is not the last addition to the mall. If they keep expanding, (hopefully putting colonial park out of business) Then I can see that we'll be able to develop a much nicer retail potential. I think the only hope of getting higher end retail into the Harrisburg region is to have a single larger shopping center that can draw the foot traffic it will require. Then the mall can be a destination for the region rather than a neccessary place to go. There isn't any "good" shopping in all of central region of PA

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 9:22 PM
Me?!?

RE: the gas prices and urban development, yes, I think this will have an effect on urban America in general but maybe only a slight effect on HBG. The urbanized part of the metro is pretty small and compact already and there are really no advantages to living in the city vs. other areas (in fact sadly, the scales are tipped against the city in many cases). This could change, but only when public transit was increased, there needs to be some real shopping choices, etc.

Young Gun, the Colonial Park Mall isn't going anywhere and is one of the top performers in the area believe it or not (I have close friends who work for the company that owns it). I think it's low ceilings are quite horrible (lol) but when you think about its location and the stores they have, it really is a sure thing.

Yes, L&T was indeed at the HBG Mall for a very brief time.

I agree, danwxman, and the HBG area is TERRIBLY over-malled. HBG Mall has a lot of potential but...I dunno, I just never see it happening...there's too much too close.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 12:22 PM
Keeping the dream alive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
I think they caught most involved in the Midtown incidents, and don't worry; the Patriot News doesn't have that large of a readership. The incidents will quickly fade from memory.

About 250,000 people a day...

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 1:29 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidtownMike View Post
About 250,000 people a day...
You're telling me that 30% of the area covered by the PN are readers? Where did this number come from

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 3:51 PM
Keeping the dream alive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
You're telling me that 30% of the area covered by the PN are readers? Where did this number come from

Yes I am...and it comes from a sample of 1,000 adults in the market...

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 9:04 PM
Me?!?

Yeah, Young Gun, I'd have to agree with MidtownMike and TPN serves a pretty large area and it would be easier for me to tell you the people I knew who didn't read it than did, as that # is so much smaller.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 9:45 PM

If anyone hasn't seen the latest Census estimates....take a look....Harrisburg actually registered an increase in population from 2006-2007! I want to believe it (I wish it was more) but I guess we won't know for sure until the official census is taken in 2010.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 11:15 AM
Man on a mission

Quote:
If anyone hasn't seen the latest Census estimates....take a look....Harrisburg actually registered an increase in population from 2006-2007! I want to believe it (I wish it was more) but I guess we won't know for sure until the official census is taken in 2010.

If that is true that would be a first in 30yrs?

Ok, I had to come back and edit my post. I looked at Harrisburg City, (increase of ~20 from last year) and the surrounding boroughs and townships. they all increased. Unfortunately I in the first half of this decade we lost a significant amount that I don't think we will recover by 2010. Therefore while the trend might be heading upwards it will look like a decrease. If this is true it will be unfortunate.

Last edited by Young Gun; Jul 11, 2008 at 11:28 AM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 12:56 AM
Eurosceptic

PNC Bank's July 2008 economic forecast for Harrisburg:

https://www.pnc.com/webapp/unsec/Req...Harrisburg.pdf

The Harrisburg metro area economy is increasingly dynamic and has improved its position relative to state and national economic indicators.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 1:14 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
PNC Bank's July 2008 economic forecast for Harrisburg:

https://www.pnc.com/webapp/unsec/Req...Harrisburg.pdf

The Harrisburg metro area economy is increasingly dynamic and has improved its position relative to state and national economic indicators.
Just got done reading it. WOOT!!! Not all good news, but way better than what others are seeing.... Now people move here!!!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 10:47 PM
Me?!?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Harrisburg is a great place...if you are looking for that sort of thing. The mentality of the area definitely caters to a certain demographic and if it wants to attract/keep certain types of people, it needs to change a little more.

Still, good news nonetheless!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 6:18 PM
Man on a mission

Has anyone heard of this before? It has somehow flown under the radar. Found it while cruising commercial realty sites

Midtown Harrisburg's newest development in years includes 34,400 SF of office and retail space adjacent to the Harrisburg's expanding urban campus. This three-story development is the first phase of two mirrored buildings yielding a total of 68,000+ SF on Harrisburg's northern gateway, which may include the new Federal Court House. The widening of N. 7th street will be completed by the second quarter of 2008, making this the primary route in/out of Harrisburg from the north.

details in listing Here

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 11:18 PM
Me?!?

/\
What the hell is that?!? It's awful IMO!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 11:47 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
/\
I know, but it is what it is. It was listed under commercial properties to lease. I guess it is on its way to be constructed, but I never heard anything about it

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 12:09 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
/\
But it has turrets!!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 1:50 AM
Man on a mission

I applaud the investment in the city, but we will have to live with the looks of a building such as this for years to come should it be built. And It is going to be in in the gateway to our city!!! << ok that part is straight up poking fun.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations