HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 5:55 PM
Man on a mission

Just thought I would give a quick post of something exciting in my neighborhood.

I am not sure of what the name of the place will be, but 608 2nd is being renovated and will have an art gallery going into the space when it is complete. Good news as the building has been vacant for almost 2 years since a tanning salon closed up shop.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2010, 4:03 PM
Me?!?

/\
Good to hear!

I was in the metro for all of last weekend for the holiday (Hershey/Hummelstown and then Middletown) but didn't get a chance to swing by the city at all. I have to say that the vibe out in Hershey/Hummelstown surprised me quite a bit, and it seemed a little less "stuffy" than in years past. Hummelstown is in pretty darn good shape these days and there seems to be some new things popping up to draw in a younger crowd. With me living in the Philly metro now I definitely noticed the lack of diversity in that area right away, though...there were many places we went to where the entire crowd was white. That really stood out to me because being in the Philly area for years now, you experience the exact opposite in almost everywhere you go. Interesting how the HBG metro is still a little divided in spots.

But overall, yeah, happy to see that the general vibe has changed there and things seem to be heading in a really good direction people and mentality-wise!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 5:03 PM
Man on a mission

The following below was sent to me by the CAN neighborhood association.
origianlly came from oldeuptownhbg@gmail.com To those that would like to air their opinion at the meeting. Unfortunately I'll be in Sweden. Otherwise I'd attend myself.

Olde Uptown invites all of its residents and its friends to attend an extremely important Harrisburg City Council meeting on Tuesday 4/20/10 at 5:45 p.m.

The City of Harrisburg Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. City Government Center - 10 North 2nd street, Harrisburg

Councilwoman Patty Kim is holding an informational hearing on the city’s 10-year tax abatement program. The legislation is up for renewal, denial, or (hopefully) expansion this year. It is critical that this legislation be renewed and expanded to include a 100% abatement for 10 years in order for the City to continue to grow. It is not an overstatement to say that without this policy in place, the Olde Uptown project and many other projects in the city could not occur.

Just as a refresher, the current abatement policy allows the assessment on property improvements to be abated over ten years at a 10% incremental phase-in. However, while it’s been effective, Harrisburg 2020, a committee of CREDC, is asking for the policy to be expanded to 100% for ten years based on the success that Philadelphia had with doing the same. Since 1997, when Philly implemented the policy, they created 10,000 new housing units in their downtown. Recent travelers to Philadelphia have probably noticed that it is much different now than 13 years ago and city leaders credit the full abatement as a primary reason. One of the key arguments to persuade our elected officials on this issue is that it is not a “tax give-away,” because the development would not have occurred without the abatement in the first place. Please help in carrying this message!

It’s vitally important that City Council hear public comments from as many residents as possible next Tuesday night. Please join us in attending the meeting and helping to spread the word to friends and colleagues in the City!

Thank you for your support of Harrisburg!

Olde Uptown Neighborhood Association

Old Posted Apr 22, 2010, 5:11 PM
Man on a mission

In case anyone missed this. It is a shame they are moving out of the city, I call dibs on the old building for redevelopment.

Quote:
Bishop McDevitt High School officials have launched a capital campaign to help fund the planned $45 million Catholic school in Lower Paxton Township.

Funds from the campaign, called “Fulfilling the Promise,” will go toward the 175,000-square-foot high school, which will include a 1,200-seat auditorium, a 1,000-seat gym, a library, a performing arts center and an athletic complex with a football stadium.

McDevitt, which has been in the Allison Hill section of Harrisburg since 1930, will move four miles away to an 87-acre campus on Spring Creek Road.

The new McDevitt has been designed to accommodate 950 students. Current enrollment is slightly over 700.

Ground breaking will take place when capital campaign pledges reach $16 million, officials have said.

They expect the building to be completed by May 2012 so students can attend the new school that September.

“Bishop McDevitt High School has played a vital role in setting us on a path of excellence,” said Angela Ortenzio, capital campaign co-chairwoman. “This is a place we can call home. Many of us are passionate about the experiences we’ve shared here.”

Bishop McDevitt High School was founded in 1918 on North Street in Harrisburg, then moved to its current location on Market Street in 1930.

That building remains one of the oldest midstate high school buildings still in use.

How you can help: Donations may be sent to Bishop McDevitt High School, 2200 Market St., Harrisburg, PA 17103-2499.
For more information, call Sister Mary Anne Bednar, McDevitt principal, or Cheri Comasco, McDevitt director of advancement, at 717-236-7973 or visit

Story can be found here

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 12:09 PM
Man on a mission

GSA finally selected the new Federal Courthouse to got at 6th and Reilly.

Hizzah!

more at Penn Live

Link

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 1:51 PM

Great news!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 10:45 PM
Me?!?

THANK GOD! That site really made the most sense, and I am certain that it will spur some much needed development in that area.

And that battle has been going on for 6 years?!? Whoa, time is really flying! Sad too, though, because that's a lot of wasted time. Oh well, the important part is that things can finally get moving.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 6:05 PM
Man on a mission

[QUOTE]Rep. Thomas Caltagirone is calling for a state constitutional amendment to have Pennsylvania's 67 county governments absorb all of the municipalities within their borders and operate under a single countywide structure. QUOTE]

This is something that we on this board have suggested and longed for from time to time. It would certainly assist da Burg in their current situation.

full story and comments at Penn Live

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 6:39 PM

[QUOTE=Young Gun;4818126]
Quote:
Rep. Thomas Caltagirone is calling for a state constitutional amendment to have Pennsylvania's 67 county governments absorb all of the municipalities within their borders and operate under a single countywide structure. QUOTE]

This is something that we on this board have suggested and longed for from time to time. It would certainly assist da Burg in their current situation.

full story and comments at Penn Live
This is exactly what needs to happen statewide. Unfortunately, it will take many years for this to come to fruition. Our politicians just don't have the courage to do what even they probably know needs to be done.

In others news, COLT (County of Lebanon Transit) has changed their name to LT (Lebanon Transit) and will start a new commuter service to Harrisburg in May. Check out the website: http://www.commuteking.org/ I like their new logo!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 2:35 PM
Man on a mission

I'd be interested in the Commute King Express along 81. wonder if it runs through Shippensburg. I travel from DT to Ship each day.

Old Posted May 16, 2010, 3:45 PM

My only question about the county consolidation is what do you do in a place like Harrisburg where the metro population lives in 4 different counties (Dauphin, Cummberland, Perry and York)? You end up with policy being made on either side of the river that affects the other but no interconnection despite the interdependance. Lancaster, York and Lebanon look much more like Philadelphia and Allegheny counties where the seat city is in the middle of the land borders (Philadelphia is its own county). If county lines cannot be redrawn then the legislature should give Harrisburg a special designation as the capital city where county like powers would be awarded within a certain radius around either the capitol building or the geographic center of population density (Market and Cameron?).

Old Posted May 17, 2010, 3:21 AM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxbyrd View Post
My only question about the county consolidation is what do you do in a place like Harrisburg where the metro population lives in 4 different counties (Dauphin, Cummberland, Perry and York)? You end up with policy being made on either side of the river that affects the other but no interconnection despite the interdependance. Lancaster, York and Lebanon look much more like Philadelphia and Allegheny counties where the seat city is in the middle of the land borders (Philadelphia is its own county). If county lines cannot be redrawn then the legislature should give Harrisburg a special designation as the capital city where county like powers would be awarded within a certain radius around either the capitol building or the geographic center of population density (Market and Cameron?).
you have a very valid question, but at the same time the even smaller administrative divisions of today have an even greater problem.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 4:43 PM
Man on a mission

I haven't posted in a long time,but this one is worth mentioning. Anyone watching local news will likely be beat over the head with this story in the next several days.

Quote:
Harrisburg City Controller Dan Miller released a debt recovery plan today that would, with the right buy-in by all stakeholders, allow the city to skirt municipal bankruptcy and avoid the long-term lease of public assets.
link to the story

link to the plan

sounds like a good plan. The best action that has been suggested yet by anyone I have heard about. As for the budget cuts with the city? I think a good look at all of the services provided by the city could really help to illuminate inefficiences. Just like in a down economy a bad budget year can be a good impetus to trim the fat that has grown over the years.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 5:39 PM
Keeping the dream alive!

Project adjacent to the new federal courthouse along North 6th Street:

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...y_for_mid.html

http://www.1500project.com

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 11:22 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidtownMike View Post

Wow, this project couldn't be coming at a worse time and should have happened YEARS ago when the city was riding on a successful wave. With the city's current situation, I'm not so sure how much buy in it will receive...

But here's to hoping for the best, and the design is quite interesting...curious to see what the finished project will look like.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2010, 4:40 PM
Man on a mission

I disagree. I wouldn't say that anyone wouldn't consider moving to the city now as compared to 5 years ago. The city has always been a breath away from financial straights.

A project like this is exactly what the city needs to turn around. Get the thing built and it should begin to bring in tax dollars. If there is one thing that is certain is that the city needs more money. regardless of how the whole act 47 chapter 9 debacle plays out it will need money.

Harrisburg's mantra should be to build them and build them tall. get as many people living in the city as possible. I feel the capital region has gotten out pretty light in this recession. If an entrepreneur wants to take advantage of the upswing in the economy he needs to start building now.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2010, 5:19 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidtownMike View Post

Here's the drawing from that link.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2010, 5:21 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Anyone know what's going on with this large Capitol View Commerce Center development?

Credit: Dan Gleiter, The Patriot-News

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind..._the_mone.html

Old Posted Oct 12, 2010, 5:30 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
GSA finally selected the new Federal Courthouse to got at 6th and Reilly.

Hizzah!

more at Penn Live

Link
So they are tearing down this building to construct the new $135 million dollar federal courthouse right?

http://www.usmarshals.gov/district/p...ons/index.html

Is there no rendering yet because I can't find one?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2010, 8:17 PM
Keeping the dream alive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Pride View Post
So they are tearing down this building to construct the new $135 million dollar federal courthouse right?

http://www.usmarshals.gov/district/p...ons/index.html

Is there no rendering yet because I can't find one?
I don't think they're tearing down the old building...at least not that I've heard. My guess is that they'll "repurpose" it into (hopefully!) private, taxpaying office space.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations