HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 11, 2005, 9:28 PM
Me?!?

I really like the CorridorONE project and always have. No, it won't solve the traffic woes we have around here but it's a very good start IMO. I think this area REALLY needs rail service and by the time it gets really nasty around here a good rail service would be in place. HBG is very lucky in a sense because it has a clean slate, much like Charlotte, PHX, etc. Why not take advantage of that and do something at least? To have a new airport terminal and then add brand new rail service to many places on top of that, wow!!! IMO something that would be very attractive for the area...

Check this out. Living/working in the city everyday I can personally attest to the difference this has made. Keep up the good work HBG!!!

City speeds renovation with a war on blight

Monday, July 11, 2005
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

It used to be someone's home.

Now the windows are boarded up, the grass is overgrown and the porch is rotted and sagging.

For neighbors, it's more than an eyesore.

Abandoned properties such as the row of five homes on the 2400 block of Harrisburg's North Sixth Street can be a magnet for trash dumpers, rodents and even drug dealers.

At the very worst, these blighted homes can be the source of fires that threaten lives and property.

It's no wonder that residents such as Joe Petrovitz of the 500 block of Seneca Street want such buildings taken down immediately.

"It's an epidemic," he said. "These buildings are used as flophouses for two-legged creatures, four-legged creatures -- any slithering thing."

About a month ago, Petrovitz took his complaints about the properties on North Sixth Street to City Council. This month, the heavy machinery rolled in and reduced the buildings to a pile of bricks and debris.

"I'm going to give credit where credit is due," Petrovitz said.

City officials said the quick response had nothing to do with Petrovitz's complaint. The timing was a coincidence.

The 2400 block of North Sixth Street, along with other condemned properties at Sixth and Seneca streets, the 1400 block of North Sixth Street, as well as 2326 and 2328 Jefferson St., and 408, 410 and 412 Woodbine St. are all to come down this quarter, city spokesman Randy King said.

The city maintains a list of about 240 condemned properties awaiting demolition, and it has been attacking the problem in a systematic way for decades.

In 2000, Mayor Stephen R. Reed stepped up the pace by hiring a demolition expert and forming a city crew to bring down the blighted buildings faster and more economically than hired contractors could.

The crew has knocked down 30 to 70 structures a year for $300,000 to $500,000 annually. Most of the money comes from federal grants.

"We're the only municipality in Pennsylvania in the demolition business," Reed said. "It's cheaper and faster."

Last year, 32 properties came down, many of them party-walled structures next to inhabited homes.

This year, 30 condemned structures have been razed, with about 30 more to be done before the end of the year, King said.

For residents, the transformation can be jarring, as long-standing dilapidated homes are reduced to rubble in days.

The destruction can look like the site of an explosion or a disaster, especially with abandoned clothes, furniture and appliances strewn amid crumbled bricks, splintered wood and broken glass.

In time, these sites can become housing or businesses, just as other once-blighted areas have been reclaimed, city officials said.

In Allison Hill, the scene of numerous demolitions several summers ago, town houses have been built and occupied.

King cited midtown's Capitol Heights residential development as a prime example of rebuilding a neighborhood by razing and reclaiming abandoned properties.

But the city's demolition crew can't work fast enough, especially to those who live next to a crumbling structure.

When fire swept through four row houses in the 1300 block of South 12th Street in May, some of the 15 residents displaced by the blaze blamed it on the two abandoned properties next to their dwellings. Someone had set fire to garbage near the rear stairwell of one of the vacant homes.

Reed said the city's demolition program couldn't have prevented the tragedy. The vacant house, although abandoned, wasn't in bad enough shape to be legally condemned.

"Those buildings were structurally sound," Reed said. "The fact that a property is vacant is not illegal."

Reed estimated there are 75 to 150 abandoned properties that are otherwise structurally sound and can't be condemned and demolished.

Reed said some will be bought or taken over and restored, either privately or by the city. The rest likely will deteriorate until they meet the legal qualifications to be condemned.

Condemning property is a long process that involves the fire department, codes office and the courts.

Reed said he sympathizes with residents who feel the pace of demolition isn't fast enough. But he said the root of the problem lies with neglectful property owners and absentee landlords.

"Everyone likes to blame the city," he said. "The real culprits are the property owners who abandon these properties and let them go."

Still, Harrisburg's demolition list of 240 properties is a far cry from when Reed took office in 1982. Then, nearly 6,000 structures were on the list.

Since then, thousands of buildings have come down and more than 4,000 residential units have been built to take their place, according to figures provided by the city.

Once the condemned properties are demolished, the city places liens on the deeds to the land to try and recover its costs.

Most often, the properties go to tax sales or are taken over by the city. That way, once-problem properties can be bundled with other land and sold to developers intent on building homes or creating the centerpiece of a redevelopment project.

Then, from the rubble, the seeds of a new neighborhood are planted.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2005, 10:03 PM
joining the rail club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudmrg
As I've said before, I'm torn on the project, as it makes use of existing resources (the rail lines over the river), and allows a direct connection from DT Harrisburg to the airport. On the other hand, I admit to doubts on the success of the project, at least at removing daily commuting cartrips from PA-283 and the River bridges. The issue with the subsidy only worries me more. Any thoughts?
Not another dis-believer. so how are you torn over the project...that saves tax dollars by using existing resources, urges commuters to use alternative means of transit, and allows for a direct connect from the western suburbs to DT, airport, Lancaster, and eventually Hershey/Lebanon, etc. a direct connect that doesn’t rely on our current road/highway infrastructure that is plagued with congestion and mobility issues. CorridorOne is the only thing that makes sense to me. does widening I-83 for 1.5 billion or I-81 for nearly the same amount make as much sense? I’m torn over why my county commissioners have raised concerns over a project the public overwhelmingly supports. On top of that, they proposed a BRT system that would ultimately cost much more to construct and operate. People don’t want bus rapid transit, they are much more acceptable to using rail. If they would have done one simple google search they would realize that...lol. Quite frankly, they are idiots and should be voted out of office for trying to derail this project. My wife told me today how she sat in traffic for over an hour, just 2 miles from our apt on the west shore. Either we as the region’s populous get our act together and realize we need to invest in mass transit, like every other metro area or continue to pave over the countryside with asphalt.

The largest issue with the project is who will pay for it down the road. I feel that EVERYONE should pay for it. I’d much rather see my tax dollars go towards this or other infrastructure projects than raising them to give our legislatures another pay raise! Don’t laugh, it just happened again this past week. It should be mandated that any metro over a half million people should maintain some sort of legitimate and diversified mass transit system. And not just buses...that operate on the same congested highways as personal vehicles. Is it any wonder why we have bulit ourselves into these congestion problems? We did this to ourselves by listening to people like Bruce Barclay, Gary Eichelberger, and Rick Rovegno.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2005, 10:47 PM

Location: I find myself surrounded by highways, fast food, and warehouses
My view of CorridorOne as of 7/11/05.....I'd be thankful for the help if people could add on Pros or Cons (through I presume the Con side will be under-represented )

Pros:
1. Uses existing (and underused) rail line/bridge.

2. Provides a cheaper alternative for the marginal benefit in the PA-283 corridor (Cost to transport the next person.....It looks cheaper to subsidize CorridorOne than to expand PA-283).

3. Saves people time on the PA-283 corridor.

4. Allows direct access from HIA/Middletown to the Harrisburg CBD, or to north Lancaster City, excellent for tourist use (or for residents of those places flying out).

Cons:

1. Fixed Location-There is no way to move a train line to a new place without building a new track. For multiple locations (like new housing starts), Buses allow a system (such as CAT) to add new stops, reduce ones with less demand, add more buses, etc. With a train line, you're stuck to that one line.

2. Cost- CorridorOne is proposing a $3.50 one-way ticket from Harrisburg to Lancaster. That price includes a subsidy. Subsidies for one (relatively) small rail line may not be constant, see the current SEPTA and PAT problems. Even at that price, keeping your car(and all of the mobility it brings) for the same trip could equal the same amount, depending on your car and the gas prices.

3. Park and Ride- The Cumb. Co. Commisioners have a point when they point out that parking your car a few miles before you reach 'da burg to ride (and pay) the train may have few takers. Does anyone have stats on how many people use Park and Ride with CAT now?

4. Operating Cost- With a train, you pay the same for the fuel and labor costs if you have 100 passengers or just empty air. At least with Buses, you arn't hauling several hundred tons of metal around.

Conclusion:
I support CorridorOne, but these are the concerns I have with it. I am not a NIMBY, but these are the same questions that have already been used against CorridorOne. Comments anyone?

PS-edit-The proposed Bus Rapid Transit has the same drawbacks and fewer advantages, I am refering to normal Bus usage (as CAT does now) in my post.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2005, 12:03 AM
joining the rail club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudmrg
My view of CorridorOne as of 7/11/05.....I'd be thankful for the help if people could add on Pros or Cons (through I presume the Con side will be under-represented )

Pros:
1. Uses existing (and underused) rail line/bridge.
the cumberland valley railroad bridge cross directly over city island and is adjacent to the new 3 level parking garage, which is intended to support a platform for the new station. the city island station will most likely become one of the busiest being situated near commerce bank park, skyline sports complex, marinas, and other attractions. the PA sports hall of fame has been proposed for construction on city island as well, which will draw more tourists.

Quote:
2. Provides a cheaper alternative for the marginal benefit in the PA-283 corridor (Cost to transport the next person.....It looks cheaper to subsidize CorridorOne than to expand PA-283).
the real PRO here is that it will provide alternative transit and stimulate alternative commuting paterns not only between Lancaster and Harrisburg, but between Lancaster and Philly as well. SEPTA is proposing a link from its R5 Lansdale/Doylestown regional rail line to link with CorridorOne in Lancaster. in effect, the linking of these two regional rail lines (with further development) could create one of the largest and most comprehensive mass transit systems in the nation/world. it would allow commuters the option of picking up a train on the hour and ride it continuously between Harrisburg, Lancaster, Philly, NYC, delaware, NJ suburbs, etc. Amtrak can't compete with subsidised commuter and regional rail on this scale. Amtrak is in the long haul business...intercity rail.

Quote:
3. Saves people time on the PA-283 corridor.
commuter rail adjacent to 283 will reduce congestion marginally, but it's greatest impact will be economic development along the same corridor. rail will spur more infill development in Elizabethtown, Mt Joy, Lancaster, etc. economic development is the biggest PRO to building such a system.

Quote:
4. Allows direct access from HIA/Middletown to the Harrisburg CBD, or to north Lancaster City, excellent for tourist use (or for residents of those places flying out).
linking HIA to rest of the region via rail is one of the best aspects of this project. even airports much larger than HIA still do not suppliment terminals with rail access to adjacent CBD's. CorridorOne has this benefit...one that has the capability to attract more business to the airport.

[quote]Cons:

1. Fixed Location-There is no way to move a train line to a new place without building a new track. For multiple locations (like new housing starts), Buses allow a system (such as CAT) to add new stops, reduce ones with less demand, add more buses, etc. With a train line, you're stuck to that one line. [quote]

the fixed location is perfect for this project. the right-of-way is already established and much easier to construct than similarly proposed systems around the nation. NJ transit recently spent over 1 billion building a 35 mile line linking Camden and Trenton. the fact that rail only allows trains to move from point A to point B isn't a disavantage, it's only a disadvantage if you have to build it from the ground up. in the Harrisburg area, there are many abandoned lines, bridges, etc. left over from the regions historic coal, steel, manufacturing past. the infrastrcture is there for the taking...and much cheaper than starting from stratch. trains alone will not draw commuters. bus routes will need to be reconfigured to suppliment regional rail.

Quote:
2. Cost- CorridorOne is proposing a $3.50 one-way ticket from Harrisburg to Lancaster. That price includes a subsidy. Subsidies for one (relatively) small rail line may not be constant, see the current SEPTA and PAT problems. Even at that price, keeping your car(and all of the mobility it brings) for the same trip could equal the same amount, depending on your car and the gas prices.
the subsidies for this line are relatively in line with similar ones on SEPTA and PAT. the main advantage that people forget is that many commuters will be willing to pay the fee to avoid congestion, accidents, delays, and parking woes. not to mention the price of gas and mainting a vehicle. the line will draw it's regulars...and suppliment 283, which is what it is intended for.

Quote:
3. Park and Ride- The Cumb. Co. Commisioners have a point when they point out that parking your car a few miles before you reach 'da burg to ride (and pay) the train may have few takers. Does anyone have stats on how many people use Park and Ride with CAT now?
i disagree. they don't have a point. you can't compare park and ride stats with buses verses trains. people are discouraged from using buses, because it's unattractive and unreliable. buses use the same infrastructure as cars/trucks. why would i park my vehicle outside the city in the suburbs and ride a bus on the same congested highways i'm trying to avoid in the first place. trains are much more reliable and are percieved to be much more reliable by the public. plus, many of the park and ride lots at the far reaches of the region don't even maintain bus service, even though they did at one time. the've become car-pool lots. driving, even a few minutes to a station and riding a train has it's advantages...very different from tradtional busing. CAT know's this...it's been implimented by other mass transit agencies worldwide...and it works quite effectively.

Quote:
4. Operating Cost- With a train, you pay the same for the fuel and labor costs if you have 100 passengers or just empty air. At least with Buses, you arn't hauling several hundred tons of metal around.
not true. the cost of operating trains is much cheaper than operating BRT. granted it is more espesive to operate CorridorOne than by simply adding more buses but adding more traditional buses to the road network will not help things. the whole idea here is to reduce congestion by stimulating people to use alternative means of transit...ie: regional rail. buses will still be needed to suppliment trains, but the overall cost/benefit will be much more reasonable and the system will be capable of handling many more commuters. buses can't do that alone.

Quote:
Conclusion:
I support CorridorOne, but these are the concerns I have with it. I am not a NIMBY, but these are the same questions that have already been used against CorridorOne. Comments anyone?

PS-edit-The proposed Bus Rapid Transit has the same drawbacks and fewer advantages, I am refering to normal Bus usage (as CAT does now) in my post.
i'm glad your a supporter. the overall impact of this project goes far beyond what many people realize. the rail system will spur an incredible amount of economic development and infill development. it will entice people to use alternative means and hopefully improve our walkable towns and cities by building many others. South Central PA maintains nearly 1.6 million people. it's time we seriously consider doing something unique and progressive to preserve our conservative and historic heritage. this project is a blend of both worlds as i see it. i happen to be a fanatic though...the extreme of promoting it. i'm willing to pay for it, even if it means raising taxes to do so. i realize not everyone feels that way. once this project takes off and is up and running, i feel that regional rail will draw more supporters.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2005, 3:13 AM
Me?!?

City pool may take dive for planned courthouse

Wednesday, July 13, 2005
BY BILL SULON
Of The Patriot-News

If the Jackson-Lick Apartments are torn down to make room for a federal courthouse, the nearby city-owned public pool may have to be demolished as well, government officials said.

The apartment buildings at North Sixth Street in Harrisburg are on one of three sites the federal government has proposed for a courthouse. And while a decision is months away, the government is leaning toward the North Sixth Street property, city officials said.

If that site is chosen, "our assumption is that [the pool] would be demolished and relocated," city spokesman Randy King said. "We can't imagine they'd want a public swimming pool within a secure-zone area."

The pool may have to go if the Jackson-Lick site is selected, said Gina Blyther-Gilliam, spokeswoman for the U.S. General Services Administration, which is overseeing the court relocation process.

"We have not yet studied the impact of having a pool located outside of the minimum setback requirement of 50 feet," Blyther-Gilliam said.

If the pool is demolished, the city said it would build a replacement. And a replacement pool is the only viable remedy if the existing pool is removed, city residents and officials said yesterday.

"If they replaced it, it wouldn't bother me as long as the new pool is in the same vicinity," said Jacob Williams as he led 30 children from the Steel School's summer program bus to the pool yesterday.

Daniel Veney, director of the New Possibilities program for potentially delinquent boys and a lifelong city resident, said failure to replace the pool would result in one less constructive activity for city youths.

"This pool is very important," said Veney, 31. "It's been a mainstay for the community for as long as I've been here. It's a place where kids can go for four to five hours a day to stay out of trouble."

Removing the pool "wouldn't be a bad thing," King said. He said the annual maintenance costs of a replacement pool would be significantly less than the $50,000 the city spends each year to operate the existing pool.

The pool, one of two owned and operated by the city, was built in the 1960s and regularly needs repairs, King said.

If the government required demolition of the pool, the city would apply for federal grants to build a replacement pool at an estimated cost of $1 million to $1.5 million. The city also would need three to five acres for a replacement pool.

King said he has heard from several residents and officials who assumed the pool was at risk of being demolished if the apartment buildings are cleared for a new courthouse. The existing courthouse is at Third and Walnut streets.

Each summer the pool attracts 15,000 customers -- many of them repeat visitors. Another 5,000 people go to the pool each September when the city uses the site for a fishing derby.

Annual membership fees range from $10 to $25 for individuals and $150 for groups of 25 or more.

Federal officials said a new courthouse, which would cost an estimated $102 million, is needed because of security, space and maintenance concerns at the existing courthouse.

About 140 mostly low-income residents would be relocated, at the government's expense, if the apartments are torn down.

In addition to the Jackson-Lick site, the General Services Administration is considering two other tracts: one along North Third Street across from The State Museum, and the other at North Sixth Street, north of Forster Street.

PUBLIC HEARINGS The General Services Administration will hold public hearings on the three proposed federal courthouse sites at 1 and 6 p.m. on Thursday at the Hilton Harrisburg & Towers on Second Street in Harrisburg.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2005, 7:02 PM
Me?!?

HARRISBURG

COURT PROTEST
Residents rally against site selection
Thursday, July 14, 2005
BY JOHN-MICHAEL STERN
Of The Patriot-News

Steve Kowalski, 70, spent last night standing on the curb of North and Third Streets, waving a yellow sign: "A courthouse is not a home."

He said he is also considering draping a large white bed sheet over his home with the message: "The government takes my taxes. Now they want to steal my house."

"I love this neighborhood," Kowalski said. "I want to live here until I die."

Kowalski was taking part in a rally organized by Capitol Area Neighbors to protest the construction of a federal courthouse that could be built along North Third Street near The State Museum. It is one of three sites in the city that the U.S. General Services Administration is considering for the courthouse.

The Third Street location is the smallest of the three, but it contains several restored historic homes and restaurants, including Mangia Qui and Roxy's.

The other two sites are the Jackson-Lick apartment buildings on North Sixth Street and the Cumberland Apartments, also along North Sixth Street, north of Forster Street.

Harrisburg Mayor Stephen R. Reed has said the North Third Street site is the least likely to be picked. But Kowalski isn't so sure. He said this historic area could be the site of the courthouse.

"It's in the same location as the [state] Capitol and the [current] courthouse," he said.

Residents and other locals at a booth at the rally signed petitions against the proposal or pledged their attendance at any of three hearings today.

Bill Allis, another member of Capitol Area Neighbors, said that if the courthouse were placed in the neighborhood, it "would be devastating to the community."

The proposed courthouse would displace 46 houses and businesses within the federally protected National Historic District.

"I frankly don't understand why they would have selected this site," he said. "The two other sites have not been identified with those types of preservation protections."

"It's a disgrace that we're even considering this," said Joe Lucia, 60, of Harrisburg, another resident of the neighborhood. "The only people who would win here are the judges themselves."

Of the three options, Reed has said the Jackson-Lick complex would be the best, since the property is tax-exempt and would result in the loss of no tax dollars to the city or the school district.

Federal officials say the courthouse is needed because of security, space and maintenance concerns at the existing courthouse. The courthouse would cost about $102 million, federal officials have said.

PUBLIC MEETINGS

WHAT: The General Services Administration will hold hearings on the three proposed federal courthouse sites. WHEN: Today. WHERE: The first hearing begins at 8:30 a.m. at the Hamilton School Gymnasium, 1701 N. Sixth St., Harrisburg. The other two hearings take place at 1 and 6 p.m. at the Hilton Harrisburg & Towers on Second Street in Harrisburg.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2005, 2:57 AM
joining the rail club

i don't know what to think about the new federal building/courthouse project anymore. it just doesn't sound great...with the site selection process taking it out of DT. it would help if the GSA had some engineering/architecture renderings of what they are considering to build in the place of the buildings/neighborhoods they plan to knock down.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2005, 3:05 AM
joining the rail club

Parking change approved for facility
Wednesday, July 13, 2005
BY MEGAN WALDE
Of The Patriot-News
The Derry Twp. board building a $12 million transportation center in downtown Hershey has revised its plans.

Rather than build a multi-level parking facility on the site of the former Hershey Laundry building, the Derry Twp. Industrial and Commercial Development Authority now plans single-level parking on the foundation of the former laundry, with additional spaces to be built west and south of the site.

The board of supervisors approved the revised plan last night. Bid opening is set for tomorrow.

The interim phase, to begin after work on a two-level parking facility east of the former laundry is finished, is not expected to change the fall 2006 completion date for the overall project.

The timing of the interim work meets the requirements of a federal grant being used to help pay for the project. The Federal Transit Authority gave the development authority $3.2 million with the stipulation it be used for the portion of the project that includes a bus station along Park Boulevard and a pedestrian-bridge link to parking areas. That phase of the work had not been scheduled to begin until next year.

The work will provide needed utility and road access for the bus station, said township supervisor August "Skip" Memmi, who also is a member of the development authority.

"We couldn't wait until build-out on the parking because we have to put the FTA money toward the transit [bus station] portion," he said.

The transportation center eventually could serve as a hub for commuter rail lines, trolley lines or a monorail.

The project complements renovations to the former Poser's department store next door. Hershey Entertainment and Resorts Co. is doing that work in connection with the redevelopment of several blocks along Chocolate Avenue.

The company will move its corporate headquarters to the top two floors and rent the first floor to service and retail companies. The first phase of the authority's project includes 250 parking spaces that will be used primarily by Hershey Entertainment employees.

MEGAN WALDE: 255-8454 or mwalde@patriot-news.com

Old Posted Jul 15, 2005, 10:16 PM
Me?!?

Proposals for federal courthouse met with questions and skepticism

Friday, July 15, 2005
BY FORD TURNER
Of The Patriot-News

Open dialogue and sneaking suspicions existed side by side yesterday as citizens and government officials discussed plans for a new federal courthouse in Harrisburg.

Residents and business owners spoke with the feds at three sessions. Two were held at the Hilton Harrisburg & Towers, and one at Hamilton Elementary School.

"I think the big problem with everyone is that we don't trust the federal government," said Robert Deibler, co-owner of a business close to one of the three sites on the government's short list.

"We think that they have already chosen a site," he said, "and they are simply making you feel good by being here."

The three possible building sites are at Third and Forster streets, Sixth and Verbeke streets, and Sixth and Basin streets. They were the result of a process that winnowed down a list of more than 20 sites in the city, said Gina Gilliam, a spokeswoman for the federal General Services Administration.

She said the government probably will pick one of the three by the end of the year.

The 263,000-square-foot courthouse will have eight courtrooms and space for nonjudicial federal offices. It could be eight to 14 stories tall.

Yesterday's sessions, hosted by the GSA, were called "public scoping meetings." Members of the public watched a video on the site-selection process and circulated among stations where workers answered questions about topics such as environmental assessment, historic preservation and the project's schedule.

Some expected a public hearing similar to those schools boards often conduct when planning buildings.

"I was disappointed. I was looking to stand up and talk," said Marion Walker, 87. She has lived for more than 20 years in the Jackson-Lick Apartments, which would be torn down under one of the three scenarios.

Walker attended the session at Hamilton school. Maps and fact sheets were placed on easels scattered around the floor, and federal workers stood by, ready to answer questions.

Although there was no opportunity to speak publicly, residents could put opinions in a public comment box. Gilliam said the format meant people would not have to wait in line to ask questions.

She said a public meeting is scheduled for later in the process, but a format has not been chosen.

"I don't agree with their selections," said Joe Lucia, who has lives in a 130-year-old townhouse near Third and Forster street, "but at least they are giving the community a chance to comment on their sites."

A Quaker meetinghouse at Sixth and Herr streets and the Cumberland Court Apartments, with about 108 mostly subsidized housing units, would be torn down under the Sixth and Verbeke scenario.

"None of the sites are any good," said Carter Nash, a member of the Religious Society of Friends, which owns the meetinghouse. "I am distressed they are considering the meetinghouse."

Kim Pry, a midtown resident whose church runs a ministry at Cumberland Court, said, "They should pick a site where there is land and no displacement of people."

Wilmer Henninger, a retired state worker, lives on North Third Street, close to one of the short-list sites.

"What they haven't come out with is explaining the process by which they've come to these three alternates," Henninger said.

City engineer Joe Link said federal officials are being "noncommittal" at this point in the process, as he expected they would be. Link said parking would be an issue, no matter which site was chosen.

"There are going to be 40 spaces in the lot," he said, "and several hundred people working in the building."

Old Posted Jul 15, 2005, 10:17 PM
Me?!?

ARE THEY BITIN'?

Bass Pro Shops lures fewer shoppers than some mall retailers anticipated

Friday, July 15, 2005
BY ELLEN LYON
Of The Patriot-News

Some retailers at Harrisburg Mall say the new Bass Pro Shops store has increased mall traffic, but not as much as they had hoped.

Shopper traffic is up "somewhat," especially on weekends, but "not as much as we were led to believe," said Marty Stuckey, manager of Snowden's Hallmark, which is near Bass Pro Shops.

When Bass Pro Shops opened its 225,000-square- foot store last November, the outdoor outfitter boasted that its stores typically draw 3 million shoppers a year. Company spokesman Larry Whiteley said yesterday that he didn't have traffic numbers for the Harrisburg store.

However, he indicated that the numbers were below expectations but improving.

"We're not unhappy with the traffic. It's not where we thought it would be at this time," Whiteley said. "It's building to where we thought it would be."

Whiteley said the economy is affecting all retailers.

Larry Feldman of Feldman Mall Properties Inc., which owns the mall, said tenants weren't given specific forecasts of how much traffic and sales to expect from the Bass Pro Shops opening.

And, he noted, "there's always a ramp-up period" for new stores.

Since the arrival of Bass Pro Shops, Feldman said, there has been "a significant uptick in traffic," with some shoppers traveling up to two hours to visit the mall in Swatara Twp.

"We are seeing a lot more out-of-town people showing up at the mall," agreed Stuckey, of Snowden's Hallmark.

Waldenbooks, on the other end of the mall, has seen some traffic from Bass Pro Shops, "but not a terrible increase," said Patty Wachter, store manager.

Rob Heck, an employee at Novelties -- which sells swords, knives, flags, incense, body jewelry and other novelties -- said he thinks many Bass Pro Shops and Boscov's shoppers enter and leave through the doors at those stores without visiting the rest of the mall. Boscov's also opened a store in the mall last year.

In the first quarter of this year, which included an early Easter, sales at mall stores open for at least a year were 31 percent higher than in the same quarter last year, according to Feldman.

Sales are up year over year in excess of the inflation rate, and "that's a positive trend," he said. "We're pleased with the numbers."

Feldman said the mall owner always knew another phase of renovations and additions would be necessary to get the mall to where they want it.

Last month, the owner announced plans for a $20 million addition to include a few more stores, at least one restaurant and a 12- to 14-screen movie theater.

Stuckey isn't sure how much a cinema will boost sales at the mall. "It might help the evening traffic somewhat," she said. "What I hear is the theaters that are here are struggling to fill their seats."

But Wachter of Waldenbooks noted that none of the area's existing theaters are close to the mall, "so that might be a plus."

Old Posted Jul 15, 2005, 10:19 PM
Me?!?

HIA fights property war

Thursday, July 14, 2005
BY ELLEN LYON
Of The Patriot-News

Harrisburg International Airport has fired back in the public relations war being waged by Stanford Cramer to save his Cramer Airport Parking property from eminent domain proceedings initiated by HIA.

About 10 days ago, airport employees began handing out fliers to patrons of HIA's parking facilities, airport spokesman Scott Miller said.

The fliers say HIA began negotiating with Cramer last year and offered him the property's appraised value of $1.57 million, a short-term lease for adjacent property to continue his business and moving expenses.

But Cramer wanted between $6 million and $8 million for the property, so HIA moved forward with eminent domain proceedings "because the difference in price was too large to be negotiated," according to the flier.

The airport needs Cramer's land, which has railroad and runway access, to "upgrade the airport's air-freight and corporate aviation facilities," the flier says.

HIA paid about $800 to print 15,000 copies of the flier, Miller said.

In television and radio interviews and a newspaper ad, Cramer has accused HIA of trying to put a parking competitor out of business, a charge the airport denies.

Cramer also sent a direct mailing to about 18,000 people and encourages visitors to his Web site --www.cramerairportparking.com -- to send HIA e-mails opposing the taking.

Cramer claims the HIA flier is filled with "misinformation." For example, the $6 million to $8 million asking price attributed to him came from a property value estimate from his appraiser, he said.

The airport's $1.57 million appraisal doesn't include the value of Cramer's business, according to a "reaction" to the flier put out by The Bravo Group, a public relations firm representing Cramer.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2005, 12:17 AM
joining the rail club

CARROLL TWP.
Township delays decision on Wal-Mart

Friday, July 15, 2005
BY T.W. BURGER
Of Our Dillsburg Bureau

DILLSBURG - Carroll Twp.'s planning commission voted last night to table action on plans for a shopping center that could bring another Wal-Mart Supercenter to the Harrisburg area by this time next year.

The move was made at the request of Lobar Associates of Dillsburg, the company that plans to build South Mountain Commons on 250 acres at routes 74 and 15, just north of Dillsburg.

The company wants more time to deal with issues raised by the township regarding the preliminary plan.

Lobar's plans include a 179,000-square-foot Wal-Mart, a 94,000-square-foot Lowe's, several restaurants, a gas station and a traffic light on Route 15 to accommodate the rerouting of Route 74 through the complex.

Lobar's first plan was denied in April because of a long list of comments and questions from Mark Hilson, the township engineer.

A difference in the new plan is the alignment of Route 74, which would be routed north through roughly the center of the South Mountain Commons site, meeting Route 15 north of the present intersection. The new plan has the roadway missing most of 11 acres of wetlands.

The old Route 74 roadway would remain in use, but the existing intersection with Route 15 would become right-turn-only.

The township's deadline for a decision on the project is in October. Lobar hopes to break ground in March or April.

T.W. BURGER: 432-8374 or tburger@patriot-news.com

Old Posted Jul 16, 2005, 12:32 AM
joining the rail club

State building's openness to be modified for privacy

Wednesday, July 13, 2005
BY SHIRA R. TOEPLITZ
For The Patriot-News

The Commonwealth Keystone Building is only 4 years old, but it is about to get a small face-lift.

The state building, completed in 2001, will undergo $113,000 in renovations over the next two months to build private offices for six high-level officials. Currently, the state Department of Transportation's executive offices on the eighth floor are cubicles within earshot of the entire floor.

"[Executives] really have no chance to talk about things they need to talk about without other people hearing it," PennDOT spokesman Kirk Wilson said.

The new soundproof offices will be built up from cubicle partitions already in place, giving high-level officials more privacy to discuss sensitive topics, such as personnel issues. Administrators are using communal conference rooms for private meetings and phone calls.

The enclosed offices are intended for Transportation Secretary Allen Biehler, four deputy secretaries and the chief engineer. ECI Construction is scheduled to start work in early September, but employees can expect some minor work over the coming weeks.

Some of the building's personnel said they are disappointed the planners didn't get it right the first time and now the state must spend more money to remodel the offices.

The Keystone building, on the corner of Commonwealth Avenue and North Street, cost taxpayers more than $200 million to build. It also houses the Public Utility Commission, the Department of Community and Economic Development, and the Historical and Museum Commission, all of which already have private offices for their executives.

"It's a personal judgment thing I guess. For me, I like the openness because I felt like I was a little more in touch with people and what was going on," said former PennDOT Secretary Brad Mallory, who advocated for the open office space concept at the time it was constructed.

Mallory also said his two goals in the building's design concept were to move natural light throughout the floor and increase communication between coworkers.

"That may have worked for them," said Department of General Services spokesman Frank Kane. "But as our management has been in there now for a few years, they have identified that the open space concept doesn't work for them. And in assessing their needs, they have determined that this will work better for them."

State employees say office set-up isn't the only problem with the building. They say parking is inadequate and the atrium, which extends the height of the building and is often used for receptions, is an inefficient use of open space.

"Do you know how many cars you could park in there?" one employee said of the atrium.

Bohlin Cywinksi Jackson, based in Philadelphia, and Hayes Large Architects of Altoona designed the building under former Gov. Tom Ridge's administration after the former Transportation and Safety Building was destroyed by a fire in 1994.

Randy Reid, the project leader for Bohlin Cywinksi Jackson, said the state wanted a structure with a flexible floor design and lots of natural lighting to cut down on energy costs and improve the environment.

The building won three awards for its design, including the 2001 Merit Award from the Pennsylvania chapter of the American Institute of Architects.

"From a design point of view, they wanted a building that would fit into the fabric of the surrounding sites and the historical Capitol Complex, without upstaging the Capitol building," Reid said. "They wanted it to seem like it had always been there."

SHIRA R. TOEPLITZ: 783-5196 or plcaintern@patriot-news.com

Old Posted Jul 17, 2005, 2:40 PM
Me?!?

Revelers brave storms to attend BackYard Bash

Sunday, July 17, 2005
BY JOHN-MICHAEL STERN
Of The Patriot-News

Despite the menace of scattered thunderstorms throughout the day, droves of partygoers still hit downtown Harrisburg last night for the 18th BackYard Bash.

The 21-and-over crowd came to the bash to help raise money for charities, down some beer and grilled food and to soak up the feel of the tropics.

The "Blue Hawaii"-themed bash kicked off at 8 p.m. with the classic rock band, The Luv Gods, followed by the funk-driven Impact Band at 9 p.m.

Like many of those at the bash, Jake Miller of Bethlehem wore a flower lei over his shoulder.

The concept of the bash is simple in his eyes.

"Get some booze, get some food. It's just to have a good time," he said. "We'll be the life of the party. You got to make it fun. The party is the party. The people make it fun."

J.L. Cox, Impact Band drummer and business manager, believes the bash unites the community.

"I think it brings a lot of people downtown who don't necessarily" come otherwise, he said "It has a very unified effect."

Organized by the Allied Arts Fund and BackYard Benefits Inc., the bash has raised close to $250,000 over the years to help local children's organizations, said Jan Prosseda, bash co-founder.

The bash, once a private backyard party, has evolved into a street phenomenon with turnouts as large as 4,000 people.

Leslie Amoros, who works at Allied Arts Fund, predicted the night's count was likely less, given the muggy weather.

"I would be surprised if there's that many," she said.

Six downtown restaurants -- Fisaga, The Brick Haus, McGrath's Pub, Scott's Grille, Stock's on 2nd and Zia's Trattoria -- served up hot dogs, hamburgers, pasta and other food, which were included with the $30-at-the-door ticket price.

Lancaster area has some of the nation's worst summer traffic.

REAL ESTATE

Housing strong in Lebanon County
Sunday, July 17, 2005
BY ELLEN LYON
Of The Patriot-News

In Lebanon County, sales of new homes are doing "very well," but the market for existing houses is tough because of low inventory, according to Holly Krall, broker for Century 21 Krall in North Cornwall Twp.

New developments are cropping up in the Jonestown area, in South Lebanon Twp. and throughout the county, she said.

The county issued 390 building permits for single-family houses last year, compared to 465 in 2003.

Although the market in Lebanon city is always a bit slower, "it remains strong and steady," Krall said.

She estimates that the county has seen double-digit appreciation in housing prices over the last two years.

The average sale price in the first quarter has actually fluctuated somewhat over the last three years, according to figures provided by Keystone MLS Network Inc., which is a listing of houses for sale by Realtors in the county.

The average sale price in the first quarter of 2003 was $119,329, according to Keystone MLS. It rose to $138,929 in the first quarter of 2004, but dropped to $132,582 in the first quarter of this year.

Overall, migration into the county from Lancaster County, the Harrisburg area and even Philadelphia has helped push up prices, Krall said.

As for real estate taxes, residents in Lebanon city, West Lebanon Twp. and Mount Gretna pay the most, and residents of North Annville Twp., South Annville Twp. and Cleona pay the least.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2005, 11:37 PM
Me?!?

Squeezed by development, Charles Fleming staunchly defends his island of tranquility

Tuesday, July 19, 2005
BY FORD TURNER
Of The Patriot-News

No way is Charles Fleming going to allow his Lower Paxton Twp. island to be flooded by the sea around it.

His home of 45 years has a yard shaded by pear, apple and locust trees and sweetened by memories of family. It stands alone amid a sea of asphalt and capitalism.

His neighbors, once woods, farm fields and single-family homes, are Lowe's and Big Lots, McDonald's, Wendy's and Rita's, Fox's supermarket and the Comfort Inn.

Fleming has said "no," again and again to developers who have eyed his property of slightly less than an acre, near the Union Deposit Road exit of I-83.

"I plan to stay here until they plant me or put me in a nursing home. ... This is my little island. My little piece of the world," Fleming said.

But Fleming and people like him -- homeowners who have held on as commercial projects swallow land around them -- might be more threatened than ever.

A U.S. Supreme Court ruling last month is viewed by some as a victory for local governments that might seek to seize private land by eminent domain to benefit a commercial project.

"It's a disgrace," Fleming said of the ruling.

He fixed planes and helicopters for the federal government for 30-plus years. He earned his property, he said, and no eminent-domain decision for private gain should be able to take it away.

"They want to come in here and take this from me, just because somebody wants to sell it to somebody else?" Fleming said. "That isn't right."

The Supreme Court's 5-4 decision came in a case in which Connecticut homeowners were fighting a city's efforts to raze their homes to make way for private development. Justice Sandra Day O'Connor wrote in the dissenting opinion, "Any property may now be taken for the benefit of another private party."

Annadean Anderson, whose Susquehanna Twp. home is sandwiched amid businesses and offices, also knows of the ruling.

"I don't think it's a good thing," she said.

She lives with a roommate, Richard Reinard Jr., in a small house owned by Richard Reinard Sr., 81. The retired steel worker has Alzheimer's disease. His son and Anderson take care of him in the home on Linglestown Road near Oakhurst Boulevard.

"When he first moved out here, there was nothing. It was all woods," Anderson said.

Now, Associated Cardiologists is next door. Oakhurst Shopping Center is across the street, and Widener University School of Law is a short drive away on North Progress Avenue.

The elder Reinard, Anderson said, refused an offer from the developer of the cardiologists' office to buy his property.

In the wake of the Supreme Court decision, she isn't sure he would be able to say no anymore.

"He has worked all his life for this, and they can just come in and take it from him," Anderson said.

But some people familiar with the workings of eminent domain think the Supreme Court decision will have little impact in central Pennsylvania. The decision, they said, merely reaffirmed existing law. It did not create new opportunities.

"Townships typically don't do redevelopment," said Lower Paxton Twp. manager George Wolfe. "Our need to take land for redevelopment purposes is almost nonexistent."

Carlos A. Ball, who teaches property and land-use courses at The Dickinson School of Law, said, "I don't think this judicial opinion tells us very much more other than what governments already have been doing."

Christopher Houston, solicitor for the Cumberland County Redevelopment Authority, said the high court decision would make it easier for "responsible development" to occur.

But, he said, the authority is not in the business of trying to help developers. The rare occasions when it uses eminent domain, he said, typically involve blighted property.

"I don't think it is going to have much of an impact here," Houston said.

Nelson Berlin, a Silver Spring Twp. homeowner who retired from the state Department of Corrections, could not say if he thought that the Supreme Court decision would change things.

But Berlin, whose home is a short distance from the high-traffic intersection of the Carlisle Pike and Route 114, said he didn't like the sound of it.

"Just the basic idea that the government can take your land for private development is wrong," he said.

Sue Donson, a real estate specialist whose Silver Spring home is close to Route 114, thinks a road-widening project might require her to surrender a piece of her front yard. That, she said, would be a legitimate use of eminent domain.

"I'm not going to like it," she said. "But that's the way things happen."

Taking her land for a mall, though, would be a different matter.

"I really don't believe, that for private development, it should be allowed," Donson said. "Find another location."

Houston, the redevelopment authority solicitor, said government officials in the midstate would be leery of any eminent-domain proposal that would take someone's home.

"They are politicians, and it is not a politically attractive decision that they would make," he said.

Fleming, living on his self-described island in a sea of development, said he thinks politicians would sacrifice his house.

"Sure they would," he said. "If the law says they can do this under eminent domain, sure they would."

Old Posted Jul 19, 2005, 11:39 PM
Me?!?

Music will likely play on outside downtown bars

No complaints lodged at LCB hearing on noise restrictions

Tuesday, July 19, 2005
BY JACK SHERZER
Of The Patriot-News

It's a virtual lock that the beat will go on for at least two more years on Harrisburg's "Restaurant Row" on North Second Street.

No members of the public attended a hearing yesterday on the city's request to continue to exempt downtown bars and restaurants from state restrictions on outdoor music, at least for a two-year extension.

"[Outdoor music in] the sidewalk cafes that have been opened downtown in the last five years has been an integral part of the downtown revitalization as a place of entertainment," said Craig Dietz, the assistant city solicitor handing the request before state Liquor Control Board hearing examiner Thomas R. Miller.

The board should announce its decision on the request by early August, Miller said.

Establishments that have liquor licenses usually are not allowed to have music audible outside, but the state has granted Harrisburg's requests to relax the rule in the downtown entertainment area each of the past two years.

Instead, city police enforce a Harrisburg ordinance allowing music to be heard up to 50 feet from an establishment.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2005, 11:40 PM
Me?!?

And it's so funny, we see stories like this...:

Village to include 200 homes

Density too high for Carroll Twp. site, commission says
Tuesday, July 19, 2005
BY T.W. BURGER
Of Our Dillsburg Bureau

DILLSBURG - A Maryland development company is proposing to put more than 200 town houses on 30 acres of rolling hills and cornfields in Carroll Twp.

The Village at South Mountain is planned for a site along Logan Road in the township.

A sketch plan, the first step in the permitting process, was presented to the planning commission Thursday.

Craig Bachik of Kairos Design Group in Lemoyne told the planning commission that Powers Homes plans to put 230 town houses on the site in a type of traditional neighborhood development, or TND. TNDs typically involve several types of residences along with small retail businesses. Bachik said the site was too small to allow for the retail component.

Home prices are projected at $250,000 to $300,000, Bachik said.

Members of the commission told Bachik that the density of homes on the available space was too high.

"The commission told the developer that they needed a mix of homes, not just town homes," said Dianne Price, Carroll Twp. manager.

The Village at South Mountain is across Logan Road from the regional Logan Park recreational area and another residential development, Logan Meadows, which is owned by Altieri Homes, based in Columbia, Md. Logan Meadows will contain 165 single-family homes and town homes.

Altieri is putting in streets and other infrastructure construction, but actual home construction will have to wait until the Dillsburg Area Authority builds a wastewater pumping station in the area.

That project should be finished late this year or early next, DAA officials have said.

...yet still see crap like this too.

Chamber again says no to project

Tuesday, July 19, 2005
From staff reports

The board of directors of the West Shore Chamber of Commerce has reaffirmed its opposition to the Corridor One regional rail project.

The board, which took the action at a meeting last week on the recommendation of the chamber's transportation committee, said the project has been poorly planned and is not financially viable.

The board, which reviewed the most recent reports and studies from the Modern Transit Partnership and the Penn State Pennsylvania Transportation Institute, said it is concerned about the lack of funding, improbable ridership projections, and lack of coordinated local and regional planning.

"The committee's recommendation to the board was made after careful review and consideration of the transportation institute report," said Robert Lauriello, chairman of the Chamber's Transportation Committee.

Corridor One is a proposed 54-mile commuter rail line that would provide service from Lancaster through Harrisburg to Carlisle, with a rail station at Harrisburg International Airport.

"The West Shore Chamber of Commerce has an obligation to our members, the business community and area residents to continue to follow the progress of Corridor One and to consider its long-term impact upon all aspects of the community," said Edward Messner, the chamber's president and CEO.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2005, 11:46 PM
joining the rail club

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG
"The West Shore Chamber of Commerce has an obligation to our members, the business community and area residents to continue to follow the progress of Corridor One and to consider its long-term impact upon all aspects of the community," said Edward Messner, the chamber's president and CEO.
they make statements like this and they vote against supporting CorridorOne??? if they were seriously considering the future and long term impact, they would support this with open arms. what is wrong with Cumberland County?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2005, 2:03 AM
Me?!?

/\
Lots (and lots, and lots...). Somebody over there SERIOUSLY needs to get their act together, take a look around and realize what is happening right before their very eyes. When I come home from work during rush hour, the Front/2nd St. on-ramp to 83 is backed up for miles. Where are they all going? South/West to the WS. Same with the Harvey-Taylor, the Market St. Bridge... The construction on the WS is dizzying yet transportation is not even close to keeping up with it. Go ask Fairfax County, VA, and some counties in MD what happens when you do that sort of thing.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2005, 7:33 PM
Me?!?

Hershey Trust considers research park by Route 322

Project intended to stop 'brain drain'

Wednesday, July 20, 2005
BY MEGAN WALDE
Of The Patriot-News

The Hershey Trust Co. wants to develop a research park near the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center that would attract nontourism jobs to Derry Twp. and help stop the state's reputed "brain drain."

The trust company asked the township to amend its zoning ordinance to make 165 acres the company owns west of the medical center and south of Route 322 more conducive for a research park.

At a public hearing on the issue last night, Derry supervisors asked Community Development Director Jeffrey Keiser to draft the necessary ordinance.

Company representatives maintain there is no project on the books yet, but the pieces are coming together.

The company's land is in Hershey's part of the Harrisburg Market Keystone Innovation Zone, a program of the state Department of Community and Economic Development.

The program is designed to nurture business opportunities from research at colleges and universities, providing jobs to encourage college graduates to stay in Pennsylvania.

DCED has targeted biotechnology as a promising sector.

Proponents said a research park next to the medical center -- which brings in about $100 million a year in research and is poised to begin a $500 million expansion -- could help this area become a "hub" where biomedical devices and drugs are created and companies spring up, or relocate, to commercialize them.

In a letter, David Black, president and CEO of the Harrisburg Regional Chamber and the Capital Region Economic Development Corp., urged township supervisors to approve the request.

"This step will allow local officials to further enhance Hershey's reputation as a magnet for innovation and research in central Pennsylvania," Black wrote.

"We are confident that the area will expand into a 'knowledge neighborhood' where nontourism economic development will flourish."

Jay Moskowitz, the medical center's first full-time dean for research, also is pushing for a research park within five miles of the campus.

Among other things, it could provide facilities where scientists involved with private ventures could have access to lab animals.

The county and township planning commissions have recommended approving the company's request.

And elsewhere in the metro, the sprawl keeps spreading!!! :nuts:

SOUTH MIDDLETON TWP.

Home proposal to boost growth
Township feels growing pains

Wednesday, July 20, 2005
BY ANDREA CICCOCIOPPO
Of Our Carlisle Bureau

BOILING SPRINGS - Developers keep marching into South Middleton Twp., bringing plans for more houses -- and more traffic.

The latest proposal calls for 200 to 300 homes on 115 acres between East Springville and Ridge roads.

"We now have a sector 11/2 mile wide and 3 miles deep of at least 1,300 homes being planned or proposed," said Tom Faley, chairman of the board of supervisors.

"One thing that continues to amaze me is the huge market demands for homes in South Middleton Twp.," Faley said. "I keep saying to myself we should've reached the saturation point a year ago."

Faley said the latest development is being planned for the Dixon property, bordering Misty Meadows. The site has access to sewer and water and is zoned for moderate density.

The proposal, by Lexington Developers, will require a public hearing because the site is within the township's wellhead protection zone. No formal plan has been submitted, but Faley anticipates one will be ready by fall.

The proposed neighborhood could have access to Ridge Road and East Springville -- both narrow, two-lane roadways.

"Some of us supervisors have deep traffic concerns," Faley said. "We will strive to have appropriate road improvements made to Springville and Ridge Road."

Faley said the nearby intersection of Forge and Springville roads also concerns him. "I personally am going to fight to get a traffic signal at Forge and Springville," he said.

Several developments are in the works in the area:
--Traditions of America plans to build an age-restricted community on 80 acres at Ridge and Lindsey roads, abutting the Dixon tract.
--The McNaughton Co. last year won approval to build Wheatstone, 180 single-family homes at East Springville and Lindsey roads.
--Netherby, a 113-home community, is under construction on Lindsey Road. Carlisle Forge, a community of 581 homes, has been proposed off York Road and Fairview Street.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations