HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 2:25 PM

Halifax has great service to NYC airports this summer:

The American Airlines and Delta Airlines flights to LGA are only made possible due to U.S. preclearance as La Guardia is a domestic airport without customs.

As an example there are 454 seats available from Halifax to New York on June 22nd.

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 12:06 PM

I like that United is using A319s and A320s on that route now. Did they reduce the frequency by one per day or just up gauge the equipment on two frequencies?

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 2:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good Huddle article regarding the recent YQM annual general meeting:

https://huddle.today/it-was-a-year-o...ional-airport/

New Rouge flight at one of the loading bridges at YQM

Also:

https://huddle.today/moncton-airport...ts-to-toronto/

Quote:
Air Canada Rouge will provide direct service three times a day from Moncton to Toronto on its 136-seat A319 jet. That jet will be replaced with a larger 162-seat Airbus A320 to meet expected higher demand between June 20 and October 26.
Quote:
the new service not only will bring travelers from Greater Moncton to Toronto faster, but the planes are also “quite significantly bigger” than the current Bombardier Dash Q400, which has 78 seats.

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 1:05 PM

I flew Rouge yesterday YQM-YYZ. I actually enjoyed it and prefer it head and shoulders above the Q400s. Its quieter and about 40 minutes shorter. The seats are a little cramped for me being 6’0 tall but they arent much worse then the Q400 and with the flight being shorter it was definitely bearable.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 4:20 PM

Nostalgia!......I recently posted this on another site but thought there might be some interest here:

Back (way back!) when I was a kid I used to write to airlines for pictures and brochures…..and just days after I received a package from Eastern Provincial Airways in March 1965…they lost a “Dart Herald’ (similar to the one in the postcard view below). Shortly after departing Halifax it went down in the woods near Caribou Marsh Rd in Upper Musquodoboit, NS. (map of site (zoom in) and details here)

https://aviation-safety.net/database...?id=19650317-2

This was EPA Flight 102 (timetable here) and on its way from Moncton to St. John’s……. a real ‘Milk Run’ with seven intermediate stops. Flight 102 had also stopped at our small local airport in New Glasgow NS (Trenton YTN)

>>>>>>

Quebecair (and I include it here as they also served Wabush/Labrador City)……sent a nice set of postcards showing their fleet. The timetable they sent is long gone so here’s a link to one from that era on the ‘Timetable Images’ site:

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages/complete/qb63/

Last edited by ghYHZ; May 9, 2019 at 4:30 PM.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 4:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Link to the 2018 annual report for YQM

http://cyqm.ca/wp-content/uploads/20...Report2018.pdf

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 12:41 AM

Annual meeeting for Fredericton is tomorrow (15th). Hopefully we will see some numbers.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 3:19 PM

YSJ AGM was held this morning. Video of the meeting and Q&A was posted on their facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/saintjohnairport/

Couple notes from the meeting that were of interest to me:

2018 Numbers were confirmed - New record of 282,217. They also mentioned that Q1 2019 numbers are showing the fastest growth in Atlantic Canada (but they didn't attach a number to it). They also have some solid passenger number targets for the next 5-6 years, so it's great to finally see some ambition from the board on that front.

They confirmed that the proposed US flight was going to be to Boston (no surprise) but mentioned that they were trying to work with (or are trying to work with?) a non-major Canadian airline. I'm personally wondering if they have been trying to work with PAL out of Newfoundland. Both YSJ & YQM have mentioned them (on social media) over the past year or so, which always seemed odd as they don't currently serve either airport. They mentioned regulatory issues also as an issue getting the flight to Boston up and running, which would make sense if PAL is the partner, as I don't believe they currently have the approval to offer scheduled service to the USA.

The airfield modernization work (runway resurfacing, centreline lighting, new led lighting, taxiway/apron resurfacing) has been put on an expedited timeline and is expected to be completed by December this year, instead of 2020. Work has already started on this project.

Also in the video they mention something interesting about the YSJ tower, in that it provides overnight coverage for YFC and NAV Canada is using it to test new technology for remote airfield monitoring.

Link to the 2018 YSJ annual report
http://saintjohnairport.com/assets/U...EN-Digital.pdf

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 1:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Air Canada to purchase Air Transat
Proposed transaction valued at approximately $520M
CBC News · Posted: May 16, 2019 8:19 AM ET | Last Updated: an hour ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air...nsat-1.5138180

I wonder what this will mean for winter sun destination flights from the Maritimes, and the other outer Canadian colonies.........

Nothing good I'll wager. Air Canada is wedded to the "hub and spoke" model. We'll likely have to get used to the idea of flying to Toronto (or Montreal) in order to get to anywhere else........

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I wonder what this will mean for winter sun destination flights from the Maritimes, and the other outer Canadian colonies.........

Nothing good I'll wager. Air Canada is wedded to the "hub and spoke" model. We'll likely have to get used to the idea of flying to Toronto (or Montreal) in order to get to anywhere else........
Sunwing will still be flying out of Moncton, with direct flights to many southern destinations, Cuba, Mexico, Jamaica, Dominican and multiple others.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 9:09 PM

Quote:

I think its a little early to be doom and gloom. Everytime there has been a contraction in operators in Canada it has created immediate growth opportunities for new and existing operators. Think of westjet in the early 2000s after AC swallowed CP.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 12:19 PM

YFC Expansion

The long awaited expansion to the Fredericton airport gets underway today. Some slight changes to the pax flow through the airport. Construction of the terminal is expected to take 24 months. More details available on the YFC Expansion website

https://expansion.yfcfredericton.ca

Looking forward to a bit more room, finally!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 7:57 PM

YSJ Runway Modernization

Looks like things are in full swing at the Saint John Airport for the runway resurfacing and modernization work.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/saintjohnai...61732560870705

There also appears to be a significantly sized hangar being built on the southern (undeveloped) side of the airfield. Can't say I've heard anything about it. Looks like they have re-routed the airport service road to accommodate it.

There's been a fair bit of new private hangar development in the past few years

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 3:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

An insider has told me that since Air Canada Rouge has arrived at YQM with their Airbus jets, that this has impacted passenger load on the WestJet Q400s to Toronto.

It will be interesting to see how WestJet responds to this. Will they decrease flight frequency to Toronto, or will they decide to bring back jet service too in order to compete..........

I have no information if the Air Canada changes have impacted Porter, but the Porter flights service Ottawa as well as Toronto, and their Toronto terminus is Billy Bishop, which may appeal to a different demographic.

Has anyone else heard anything???

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 7:24 PM

Quote:
An insider has told me that since Air Canada Rouge has arrived at YQM with their Airbus jets, that this has impacted passenger load on the WestJet Q400s to Toronto.

It will be interesting to see how WestJet responds to this. Will they decrease flight frequency to Toronto, or will they decide to bring back jet service too in order to compete..........

I have no information if the Air Canada changes have impacted Porter, but the Porter flights service Ottawa as well as Toronto, and their Toronto terminus is Billy Bishop, which may appeal to a different demographic.

One thing that's nice about the Rouge flights is that you save about 30 minutes, making it possible to make a connection you couldn't before and for business travelers there is actually a business class. So someone going to Europe on business likely flies with rouge to make their entire itinerary business. When you arrive business via rouge to in toronto and are connecting internationally you actually get a private limo service over to the international terminal. A nice touch.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 1:43 PM

Quote:

I suspect it will have a limited effect.

The Moncton-Toronto direct flights don't affect Downtown Toronto-Ottawa travelers at all.

There are also a lot of people from NB who work or study in Ottawa. The federal civil service is a major employer of bilingual people and the University of Ottawa is probably the most popular university for NB Francophones after the Université de Moncton. Insofar as I can recall, every time I've been on that flight, most of the Moncton people are staying on in Toronto towards Ottawa.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 2:28 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Indeed.

If my terminal destination is downtown Toronto, I will preferentially fly Porter 100% of the time. Billy Bishop is convenient and easily manageable and the free shuttle to the Royal York Hotel is a definite bonus (as well as the free booze).

I have always been impressed at how many people on the flight out of Moncton actually disembark in Ottawa. It usually seems to be about half the passenger load. This is despite the fact that Air Canada also operates a direct daily flight from Moncton to Ottawa as well.

It should be remembered that the two Canadian non capital cities with the heaviest federal presence are Kingston and Moncton. There will be a lot of civil servants on these flights, as well as students.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 11:49 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
AC Schedule changes for this week for W19

New Route:
YYC - YXT (daily DH4)

Seasonal extension
YYC - YHZ (starts Mar 1)

Conversion to Rouge:
YYZ - YSJ (2x daily 319)

Frequency increase (~1x daily)
YHZ - YQX
According to this post in the Canada section, YSJ is about to be "rouged" as well, with a flight frequency of 2x daily. Upgrade to an Airbus 319.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 1:38 PM

Quote:
According to this post in the Canada section, YSJ is about to be "rouged" as well, with a flight frequency of 2x daily. Upgrade to an Airbus 319.
For the winter season, 2X daily instead of the usual winter 3x daily... hate to lose the frequency, but should appease the "I only fly jets" folks. Looks like they've tentatively scheduled them to be an early morning (5:50am) & an evening (6:05pm) flight.

Last edited by magee_b; Jul 2, 2019 at 1:51 PM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 12:53 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Darn, I was hoping we would be spared the Rouge treatment as I value having flight options at more times of the day. Hopefully this doesn't result in price increases on the lone midday flight to Montreal - I've found connecting through to Billy Bishop via this flight to be a convenient and relatively affordable itinerary for trips to Toronto.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces