HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 1:57 AM

Mooseheads go directly to the Memorial Cup Final on Sunday!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 2:41 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Mooseheads go directly to the Memorial Cup Final on Sunday!!!!!!!!!!
But they still lost their final round robin game to Rouyn-Noranda by a score of 4-3.

Kind of a Pyrrhic victory I think, but q12 would never admit that.........

Last edited by MonctonRad; May 23, 2019 at 2:03 PM.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 2:22 PM

Memorial Cup? So you lose your league championship and get injected into a consolation tournament? lmao.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 2:34 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Memorial Cup? So you lose your league championship and get injected into a consolation tournament? lmao.
Not precisely.

You lose the league championship to the Huskies, but get into the Memorial Cup tournament anyway because you're the host team.

Then you lose your round robin game to the same league champion (Huskies), but you get a ticket straight to the Memorial Cup final, while the league champion who has just beaten you again has to compete in a sudden death semi final game to advance.

And if Halifax and Rouyn-Noranda end up playing each other in the final, I can virtually guarantee you that even with these multiple previous defeats, the Mooseheads will end up beating the Huskies anyway and become the CHL champions.

I can see it now..........

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Unfortanutely its always been this way. Although its not a consolation tournament at all. If you want to make it an event that has interactive fan exhibits, dinners, past players, concerts etc you need to have a host team so you guarantee large crowds and have time to plan properly. The host team needs time to sell packages to fans.

From a pure hockey standpoint you'd rather some type of round robin between the 3 winners in the CHL and then a final game, but logistically that's a lot of travel and no time to plan any events so you lose a large part of the memorial cup experience.

There's no real easy solution. A 16 team NCAA Style elimination tournament would be quite exciting, but difficult to determine who gets in and still loses the host element of it.

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 2:49 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

So the die is cast.

The Memorial Cup Final will be an all Q League affair.

The Rouyn-Norande Huskies beat Guelph in the semi final game 6-4 this evening.

We'll see if my prediction of a Mooseheads win in the cup final holds true.

I imagine every time a Maritime team (other than Moncton) wins the Memorial Cup, Robert Irving's blood pressure must elevate just a little bit more.

List of Maritime Memorial Cup Champions:

- Saint John Sea Dogs (2011)
- Halifax Mooseheads (2013)
- Acadie Bathurst Titan (2018)

Moncton Wildcats were runners up in 2006.

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
So the die is cast.

The Memorial Cup Final will be an all Q League affair.

The Rouyn-Norande Huskies beat Guelph in the semi final game 6-4 this evening.

We'll see if my prediction of a Mooseheads win in the cup final holds true.

I imagine every time a Maritime team (other than Moncton) wins the Memorial Cup, Robert Irving's blood pressure must elevate just a little bit more.

List of Maritime Memorial Cup Champions:

- Saint John Sea Dogs (2011)
- Halifax Mooseheads (2013)
- Acadie Bathurst Titan (2018)

Moncton Wildcats were runners up in 2006.
Correct me if I am wrong in 2006, Didn't Moncton beat Patrick Roy's Remperts in 7 games in the league final. Quebec went to the Nationals
because Moncton hosted the Cup, and Roy's team beat the Wildcats in the Final game?

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 10:38 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
Correct me if I am wrong in 2006, Didn't Moncton beat Patrick Roy's Remperts in 7 games in the league final. Quebec went to the Nationals
because Moncton hosted the Cup, and Roy's team beat the Wildcats in the Final game?
Indeed

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 1:46 AM

Rouyn!!!!!!!!

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 2:13 AM

Congrats to the Huskies, they were simply the better team. I'm very proud of the effort Halifax put in this season.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 3:45 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I'm surprised!

My expectations were subverted as I had been expecting a Mooseheads victory to make up for the President's Cupp loss, and the other loss to Rouyn-Noranda in the round robin.

Disappointing for the Mooseheads, but a well deserved victory for the Huskies. This is their first Memorial Cup championship.

BTW, where's q12???

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 11:43 AM

They were absolutely a powerhouse. A joy to watch even though I was rooting for the other guys.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 11:53 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting to note that the last two Memorial Cup champions were both from small market QMJHL teams (Acadie-Bathurst & Rouyn-Noranda). This is actually refreshing.........

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 12:16 PM

Congrats to Rouyn-Noranda on their win! Unfortunately, our Q team (Fog Devils) only lasted 4 season. Unrelated to the Q, but I'll post it here as it's probably the most appropriate place to put it. Newfoundland Growlers are up 2-0 against the Toledo Walleye in the ECHL finals.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 2:27 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
Unfortanutely its always been this way. Although its not a consolation tournament at all. If you want to make it an event that has interactive fan exhibits, dinners, past players, concerts etc you need to have a host team so you guarantee large crowds and have time to plan properly. The host team needs time to sell packages to fans.

From a pure hockey standpoint you'd rather some type of round robin between the 3 winners in the CHL and then a final game, but logistically that's a lot of travel and no time to plan any events so you lose a large part of the memorial cup experience.

There's no real easy solution. A 16 team NCAA Style elimination tournament would be quite exciting, but difficult to determine who gets in and still loses the host element of it.
It's also worth mentioning that at least some thought is given to the home team's strength going forward when the decision is made on who gets to host the Memorial Cup. Either that or when you get to host the Cup it gives you extra motivation to put a good team on the ice.

In any event, the host team is almost always one of the top teams in their league in the year they host, and even fairly often (as was the case this year) they were the losing finalist in the championship series of their league.

I can't honestly remember a crappy Memorial Cup host team being a total embarrassment at the tournament.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 1:49 PM

a 1w-2L Host is fairly common in the tournament.

Ever since the "host" formula was implemented in 83, it only happened three times that the host team went 0-3...twice Quebec(2003 & 2015), and London in 2014.

Of the 3, the London one was the most "embarrassing" one scoring only 4 goals in 3 games.

There was also 3 times where the host didnt participate in the tournament due to poor performance.

1988: Chicoutimi Saguenéens (eliminated in the first round)
1990: Dukes of Hamilton (Only won 11 games during the season)
1991: Beauport Harfangs (Didnt make the playoff, expansion team that only won 26 games)

Coincidentally enough, both time the Q host didnt participate in the tournament, it was the Drummondville Voltigeurs who end up going there "by default" (Final runner-up)

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 1:57 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by felip_ars View Post
a 1w-2L Host is fairly common in the tournament.

Ever since the "host" formula was implemented in 83, it only happened three times that the host team went 0-3...twice Quebec(2003 & 2015), and London in 2014.

Of the 3, the London one was the most "embarrassing" one scoring only 4 goals in 3 games.
Thanks for looking all of that up. London in 2014 did post 49 wins and 14 losses in the regular season, and won their first round playoff series. They weren't a super strong host but weren't a bogus one either.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 1:58 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by felip_ars View Post

There was also 3 times where the host didnt participate in the tournament due to poor performance.

1988: Chicoutimi Saguenéens (eliminated in the first round)
1990: Dukes of Hamilton (Only won 11 games during the season)
1991: Beauport Harfangs (Didnt make the playoff, expansion team that only won 26 games)

Coincidentally enough, both time the Q host didnt participate in the tournament, it was the Drummondville Voltigeurs who end up going there "by default" (Final runner-up)
Is this "presence conditional on performance" formalized in any way or is it just an unwritten rule of sorts?

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 2:03 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Is this "presence conditional on performance" formalized in any way or is it just an unwritten rule of sorts?
It's not really a formal rule. In today's CHL if you're bidding for the tournament your team is going to be there. The CHL has changed the hosting requirements enough that smaller towns can't really host anymore, so you're always going to get stronger teams in bigger markets hosting.

Saskatoon hosted in 2013 and they're one of the worst Memorial Cup teams fielded in the past 20 years. They lost in the Eastern Quarterfinals in the WHL and, IIRC, went like a month and a half between losing in the playoffs and then playing in the Memorial Cup. They weren't pushed aside by the WHL runner-up that year and still hosted.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 11:58 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Holy crap!

Saint John city council had to adjust the lease agreement between the City and the Sea Dogs to come up with $112k to keep the team from leaving the city.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...-cup-1.5161155

Apparently another city that the team could leave to was named. I wonder which city this was?

Also, I wonder if this threat was serious or simply a well played case of brinksmanship..............

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces