HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 12:49 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
This is very, very, very far from being centred on New Brunswick, it's happening all over North America.
Yes. But I live in Fredericton lol

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 5:25 PM
New Brunswick booster!

There are now two cranes on the skyline and Robbie Burns sits at Fredericton Parks and Trees at Two Nations Crossing :

60470405_1177388349110899_864456129319534592_n by James McGrath, on Flickr

60540705_363700054251906_5274590211697803264_n by James McGrath, on Flickr

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 7:32 PM

New Lebanese restaurant opening downtown on June 1st.

It's at 214 Queen street, near the Legion building (or rather near where the Legion building was).

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 2:26 PM

They're getting ready to start construction on the Smythe/Woodstock/King/Brunswick roundabout.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
They're getting ready to start construction on the Smythe/Woodstock/King/Brunswick roundabout.
I've noticed they've got a lot of survey and other ground markers in the area. And there's a lot of equipment dropped off between Queen and Brunswick.

I don't think work on the road is supposed to start until June (the website even says end of June) but they can probably start working on the pipework that is off-road until then.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 6:16 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
I've noticed they've got a lot of survey and other ground markers in the area. And there's a lot of equipment dropped off between Queen and Brunswick.

I don't think work on the road is supposed to start until June (the website even says end of June) but they can probably start working on the pipework that is off-road until then.
Would be nice if they started that now and it could be opened by September

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 9:38 PM

Phase I of the YFC airport terminal expansion begins Friday. For details re temporary access to various amenities while the construction takes place see here: https://yfcfredericton.ca/Latest-New...ll-soon-begin/

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 6:04 PM

Got a couple pictures downtown this afternoon

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 5:46 PM

The road crews are busy working; the line painters are out now too (thank goodness ), and they added an addition to Westmoreland Bridge. Coming into the city, the north end of the bridge has a solid-dash line, meaning you can move to the centre lane but you can't move back to the outside lane until after the ramps have merged in. Not sure how much of a difference it'll make, but I can certainly understand the intent to make it obvious you shouldn't turn into the outside lane when people are trying to merge in.

Lots of activity around the Victoria Circle area. Roads are still flowing as normal, but they are digging up the plumbing in all the non-road areas to get ready for that work.

And I noticed over the weekend, the Legion has moved over to the racetrack (including the memorial, now nestled right in front of the building; not really a nice spot, but it is only temporary). I wouldn't be surprised to see them tearing the old legion building down soonish so they can start compacting the land.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 1:20 PM

Hearing that there will be a gas station build across from Silverwood Inn & Suites on Woodstock road.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 5:59 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
I believe it is an Optometrist clinic. "FYI" ("For Your Eyes") would match that as well.

So assuming McDs does want a downtown location for an express store, where could they put it?

I would have suggested the Reads location, but that's taken now.

The King Street Ale House is too big I think.

McGinnis is too far away from the core.

Maybe the Westminster Books spot would work? It's across the street from the buses so it could serve transit, and have its own non-mall hours.

Or maybe they will look to set up shop in the ground floor of the new Carleton Street building or the new one on Regent.
Geez, I sure hope there won't be another downtown chain fast food place opening up - especially not Mickey D's - it's the worst of 'em all. The downtown core should be reserved for places like Chess Piece, Creamery, Happy Baker, Rocket Burger, ... local, unique food businesses. Not billions serving junk food. </rant>

Last edited by Matzel_27; May 31, 2019 at 6:12 PM.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 6:11 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth506 View Post
Relish didn't go bankrupt because of Fredericton, they went bankrupt because the owners sold a bunch of shares to a overseas company and that company bailed on them.
I think their Freddy location was their flagship property, but I am not so sure about the overseas investors being the reason for the franchise going bust. I think they grew way too aggressively without a proven concept and the infrastructure necessary to support new franchisees. The concept was very promising and could have worked. But as an organization these guys tried to run before they had learned how to walk.

Glad that Rocket Burger is coming to the tannery!

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 6:20 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Interesting - they were supposed to go into the old Quizno's.

https://www.facebook.com/downtownbrewco/
Sketchy. If renovations/construction was already going on at the old Quiznos, switching locations to Reeds seems really odd. It must have been one great offer to alter plans/drawings/orders/delay trades/postpone openings, etc.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzel_27 View Post
Sketchy. If renovations/construction was already going on at the old Quiznos, switching locations to Reeds seems really odd. It must have been one great offer to alter plans/drawings/orders/delay trades/postpone openings, etc.
The brewery is fake.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 7:14 PM

Wink

Quote:
The brewery is fake.
Thanks, it certainly looks that way. Starting with the logo and carried on with all content of the FB page.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzel_27 View Post
I think their Freddy location was their flagship property, but I am not so sure about the overseas investors being the reason for the franchise going bust. I think they grew way too aggressively without a proven concept and the infrastructure necessary to support new franchisees. The concept was very promising and could have worked. But as an organization these guys tried to run before they had learned how to walk.

Glad that Rocket Burger is coming to the tannery!
I would say there are numerous reasons why Relish failed. It was honestly my favourite restaurant in Fredericton when I had first moved here in 2013, but with time I stayed away from the place.
  • Sold franchises elsewhere without ongoing supervision of those franchises.
  • Could not keep up with product quality as demand grew. Portions went down to the point where the sizes of patties where almost half what they were when they first opened up in Oromocto. I even remember getting a Honey Boo--Boo (breaded chicken breast served between two waffles and coleslaw) and I had to return my meal as my chicken was dangerously uncooked on the inside.
  • The greetings, what made Relish special in a way, disappeared with time.
  • Products which were once free became ridiculously high. I even remember me and my ex going there and getting two combos (one with a side poutine and another with a side of onion rings) PLUS getting side of sweet potatoes and the girl wanted us to pay for aioli as she said if we would have gotten it with our meal it would have been free but as we got it as an extra side we had to pay for it).
  • The overseas investors did bail on them (I remember meeting one of them while I was asked to come in at one point to review some new and old burgers) but I'm guessing there were already financial problems before the investors bailed.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 12:15 PM

Rumour has it that the new restaurant owned by Noralyn’s in the former McDonald’s location in Kings Place is called “Enrique’s”.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3nZ View Post
I would say there are numerous reasons why Relish failed. It was honestly my favourite restaurant in Fredericton when I had first moved here in 2013, but with time I stayed away from the place.
  • Sold franchises elsewhere without ongoing supervision of those franchises.
This was the biggest one, I think. Expanding locally made sense, as you can get word of mouth and still keep physical tabs on the locations while you build the corporate infrastructure to be a chain.

But just going "hey, lets open in Vancouver and Edmonton!" was silly. Vancouver is a hugely expensive market to operate in, you're effectively starting from scratch, and the owner can't exactly drop in from Fredericton on a regular basis to ensure things are going correctly.

All the other stuff sounds like a company under financial pressure having difficulty. Smaller portions are cheaper. Standards get lax when ownership is focused elsewhere and employees know they place is likely to close. Towards the end, the debit machine didn't even work.

It was a shame. But we got Stuft uptown that is a similar style of higher end burger, and Rocket Burger should do well downtown too. So at least we're being well served by other people.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 5:30 PM
The Sheriff

I just heard that the new franks finer diner has closed that lasted long

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 5:39 PM

That's sad to hear. It looked pretty busy most nights I've been by.

On the Retail FB page, apparently Starbux is going into the new gas station at 2NC. That should make it a busy spot in the mornings (and busier in general).

*Edit* On the FB thread, sounds like they (Franks Diner) shut down suddenly this morning, sending out the closing message by FB post to the employees. Doesn't really bode well for their chances running the old McD's place in Kings Place.

Last edited by Taeolas; Jun 3, 2019 at 6:31 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces