HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 22, 2005, 4:02 AM
founded 1819

nice sleek and glassy

Old Posted Dec 30, 2005, 8:56 AM

I do like the glass, as long as it's not a boring box with flat sides. I will have to check out the site the next time I'm in SF. Someone needs to go down there and take pictures.
Diagrams | SVMetro Blog | "Urban planning, whether based in projects, plans, or process, works only when the results are feasible simultaneously in physical, functional, financial, and political ways. Having merely one or two of these feasibilities just won't work" --Alexander Garvin

Old Posted Dec 31, 2005, 5:46 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cheat
I do like the glass, as long as it's not a boring box with flat sides. I will have to check out the site the next time I'm in SF. Someone needs to go down there and take pictures.
I'm on winter break and my camera is sitting right next to me. The thing is, it's been raining for a week--if there aren't a couple dry days I won't be able to do it.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2005, 1:02 PM

I'm just saying I'll be checking it out when I'm there. They're going to be digging a hole for a few months so I'm not sure if there will be much to see except for excavation equipment.
Diagrams | SVMetro Blog | "Urban planning, whether based in projects, plans, or process, works only when the results are feasible simultaneously in physical, functional, financial, and political ways. Having merely one or two of these feasibilities just won't work" --Alexander Garvin

Old Posted Jan 8, 2006, 6:58 PM

Enlarge
Sunday, January 8, 2006

Old Posted Jan 8, 2006, 7:55 PM

Great shot.. thanks for the update.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2006, 2:46 PM

I thought the site was smaller, considering how slender the building looks.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2006, 5:06 PM

^remember that there is a 58 story tower and an 11 story midrise tower for this project.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2006, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman_95046
^remember that there is a 58 story tower and an 11 story midrise tower for this project.
Right. It makes sense in that case.

I love the angular top of the tower. It'll have a nice silhouette.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2006, 5:38 PM
Go Pens!

I'd like to see San Fran w/ 1 or 2 more spired towers. i think it would change things up nicely. (not that there aren't great things already happening)

Old Posted Jan 27, 2006, 7:25 PM
Time/Space

Wow that is some building!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2006, 7:54 PM

Random Update on 301 Mish, two nights ago, while drilling, they hit a water pipe, flooded part of Mission Street, and closed it off between 1st and Beale until this morning. This is the second "water" incident in the past couple of months, as before, they hit another watermain (or something) and a fire hydrant exploded (with water) on Mission and Beale creating a huge plume of water into the street.

I've never had my camera at these moments, or else I would have taken pictures, but my office's water had to be turned off a couple times as a result.

Is this common?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2006, 8:30 PM

I hope that those incidents won't result in delays. I'd hate that.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2006, 8:35 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Awesome project. Can't wait to see it in the skyline.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2006, 8:41 PM

This is definitely a tall residential for California. The height definitely approaches the NYC/Chicago standards.

I like the building, but almost wish is was more daring or less looked like an office building.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2006, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr70
This is definitely a tall residential for California. The height definitely approaches the NYC/Chicago standards.

I like the building, but almost wish is was more daring or less looked like an office building.
Well, it was originally gonna be office/hotel/retail, if i'm not mistaken, so the look makes sense. I like it though, we're finally getting some shiny blue glass.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2006, 1:34 AM

Wink 301 Mission & 300 Spear Update

I can see the construction of both 301 Mission and 300 Spear from my office window. They are digging the foundation of 301 Mission now. I don't think there is a crane. The weather has been gross lately so I think things are slowing down. The cranes are up and running at 300 Spear-- that is a much much larger construction site, which makes sense given it will be two towers. They also finally gave the go-ahead to Rincon Hill.

I will try to get some pics soon (when the weather clears).

Old Posted Feb 1, 2006, 1:35 AM

I totally missed the Rincon Hill news, where'd you catch that? BTW, welcome and thanks for the updates. Lookin' forward to those pics.

Will Rogers once said, "children in San Francisco are taught two things: love the Lord and hate Los Angeles."

Old Posted Feb 1, 2006, 1:50 AM

Talking 301 Mission & 300 Spear Update

Thanks for the kind words. Here is an article from the Chron...

SAN FRANCISCO
High-rises pass city's seismic muster
Few hurdles remain for permit to build Rincon Hill condos

Charlie Goodyear, Chronicle Staff Writer

Monday, January 9, 2006

San Francisco is on the verge of giving final permission for two high-rise apartment towers on Rincon Hill after construction permits had been held up as building inspectors sought assurances about how well the development would ride out a major earthquake, The Chronicle has learned.

In an e-mail last month, chief building engineer Hanson Tom said that once the developer of One Rincon Hill satisfies nonseismic issues raised by the fire and planning departments -- such as building access for firefighters -- "the Site Permit will be issued" by the city Department of Building Inspection.

And on Friday, Tom and building inspection department chief Amy Lee said in a brief telephone interview that city building inspectors are satisfied that the unique design of the towers is structurally sound.

The One Rincon Hill towers at First and Harrison streets -- one rising 55 stories and the other 45 stories -- would be the first in the city to use a construction technique that provides most of the buildings' strength from a central concrete core.

Although a panel of engineering experts convened to advise the city had signed off on the engineering, city building inspectors sought additional assurances that the buildings wouldn't only weather a large temblor without collapsing but also could remain habitable after the shaking stops.

The city Planning Commission approved the project Aug. 8, three days after the Board of Supervisors passed an overall development plan for Rincon Hill that embraces such towers. The board vote followed an agreement brokered by Supervisor Chris Daly that boosted the fees Rincon Hill developers would pay the city from $14 to $25 per square foot.

One Rincon Hill developer Michael Kriozere agreed to pay $20 million into a city affordable-housing fund and $18 million toward community improvements and other programs that are supposed to address negative economic impacts that the project could have on low- and moderate-income South of Market residents.

One Rincon Hill's taller tower would contain 376 condominiums, and the other tower would contain 319 luxury condos. Both would be built on a platform containing a parking garage and ringed by townhouses. Units in the complex could sell for $1 million.

In November, Mayor Gavin Newsom and Daly, whose district includes the project, joined the developer for a ceremonial groundbreaking at the site -- heralding One Rincon Hill as an example of forward-thinking architecture expected to revitalize a downtown neighborhood while providing more housing.

But a week later, on Nov. 17, Tom, the chief engineer at the building inspection department, ordered that no construction permit be issued without his authorization, after he raised questions about whether the city was requiring sufficient seismic safety standards to guard against both injury and property damage.

"We are establishing precedent in the way high-rise condominiums are being built in California and need to adhere to a standard of care that considers public safety first," Tom said of the One Rincon Hill project in an e-mail before issuing the do-not-issue order.

After The Chronicle reported building inspectors' concerns early last month, Supervisor Sophie Maxwell, chairwoman of the Board of Supervisors committee with jurisdiction over land use and development, said she wanted to hold a public hearing on the issues being raised by building inspectors.

But on Dec. 19, after seeking additional assurances from the engineering firm Kriozere hired for the One Rincon Hill project, Tom advised a representative for the developer by e-mail that the final construction site permit would be issued once some final nonseismic related questions raised by the fire and planning departments were resolved.

Maxwell was scheduled to receive a briefing from building inspectors today and it was unclear whether she would go forward with a public hearing on the matter.

Julie Chase, a spokeswoman for the developer, said news stories about building inspector inquiries were unfairly creating an incorrect impression that the engineering behind One Rincon Hill -- which has been used elsewhere in the country and will be used by other developers in the city -- might not be suited to earthquake-prone San Francisco.

"Pioneers get the arrows," Chase said.

Late last month, the city also received from the developer the first installment of the affordable housing fees for One Rincon Hill -- a payment of $11,260,146.

Steven Vettel, a lawyer for the developer, and Matt Franklin, director of the Mayor's Office of Housing, said the timing of the payment -- before issuing a final construction permit -- was not meant to influence and would have no bearing on the decision-making at the Department of Building Inspection.

Vettel said the timing of the payment saved the developer money on interest costs under its agreement with San Francisco.

"We're certainly not creating any expectations," Franklin said. "We have confidence that (the Department of Building Inspections) is doing a very thorough job of reviewing the project and that the most important thing in their mind and our mind is that it be done right. We're not at all concerned about the timeline."

Old Posted Feb 1, 2006, 10:46 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

What is the total sq. footage of this tower?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive