HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 6, 2006, 1:51 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

That's crazy. I haven't seen cars parked like that since a game at Wrigley.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2006, 1:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBayHardCore
That's surface parking South of Market. Of the surface lots in the area, most are crammed with cars in a similar fashion.
I've never seen parking like that in my life... Not in Boston, Philly, TO, CHI, DC... Nowhere that I can recall... Of course, maybe the aerial view helps...

I assume this is a managed lot where they park the car for you?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2006, 1:57 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse
I've never seen parking like that in my life... Not in Boston, Philly, TO, CHI, DC... Nowhere that I can recall... Of course, maybe the aerial view helps...

I assume this is a managed lot where they park the car for you?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2006, 1:03 AM

301 Mission

There are many places like that in San Francisco. Because space is so limited, and parking so expensive, many people put up with the chafe of having to wait to get their car to save a few. This lot is very popular-- it fills up early. Self park is very expensive... it cost $35 a day to park in my building, about a block from this picture.

They have been digging for a very long time. The problem is that it rained 25 days in March-- a record. Jan/Feb/March is the rainy season. They are now only pile diriving-- you can hear the noise all through the district. I think they are trying to make up for lost time, b/c they are driving at random times-- usually when the weather clears up, sometimes for only a few hours here and there.

The other big San Francisco Project, on Spear, is proceeding very nicely. Sorry I do not have a pic.

Old Posted May 8, 2006, 9:31 PM

J-House, yes, all parking lots are like that in this area. You have to tell the people who park their cars when you're leaving, because thats how they order the cars. If you plan on leaving at 6pm, but instead decide to leave at 3:30, you'll have to wait an hour for them to get your car out. And it costs $35.00 to park your car for a day in my building.

Of course, they could all be there for the Beale Street Bar & Grill happy hour (the bar with the green awning for the roof and one of very few dive/blue collar bars in the FiDi) but I'm pretty sure that's *not* the case. =)

Here's a pic taken today - they have the, uh, bearings (I'm sorry I have no idea about architectural or structural terms) up but it's been roughly three months since the last time I posted a pic from the same angle so its nice to see some progress, especially through the rainy months that we had.

Old Posted May 9, 2006, 6:05 AM

Wow it looks like they are done with pounding the pilings. Well at least for the tower portion.

This is really an interesting pic… thanks for the update.

Old Posted May 9, 2006, 1:42 PM

awesome pic! hopefully soon, we'll see 301 mission rising from the ground like 300 spear!

(i need to get a job at 50 fremont too...)

Old Posted May 9, 2006, 8:49 PM

Here's another pic from a different angle - Beale Street, on the pedestrian walkway above the street:

I personally like the background in the pic of the 4 munis at the Transbay roaring to go - it looks like they're about to race (and what a disaster that would be )

Last edited by sf_eddo; May 9, 2006 at 10:37 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2006, 10:12 PM

Thanks for the updates ed!

Will Rogers once said, "children in San Francisco are taught two things: love the Lord and hate Los Angeles."

Old Posted May 10, 2006, 6:18 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Please forgive my lack of knowledge about this project, but can somebody explain the site at 301 Mission??

The lot itself looks large enough for two towers. Is that lot adjacent to the piles, going to be a plaza for 301 Mission or a site for a second tower; (or are there still more piles yet to be placed???)

BTW, great pictures Eddo....

Old Posted May 10, 2006, 6:20 AM

^ There's actually two towers in the project.

Will Rogers once said, "children in San Francisco are taught two things: love the Lord and hate Los Angeles."

Old Posted May 10, 2006, 6:34 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Thanks

That (larger) tower is going to look stunning on the SF skyline...

Old Posted May 10, 2006, 7:44 AM

Handel Architects updated their page... and some of there renderings

his project consists of a 58-story residential tower, a nine-story mid-rise portion with apartments, an amenity level, retail space, and a public glass atrium. The design creates a significant architectural landmark for the transformation of the Transbay Terminal district in San Francisco.

In total the project includes 400 condominium units, 18,900 square feet of amenity space, 8,000 square feet of retail space, and underground parking for 350 cars. At 645 feet, the tower will be the fourth-tallest structure on the city's skyline.

The tower's exterior design creates the impression of a translucent crystal. Delicately detailed and taut in character, the exterior incorporates a variety of glass and metal fins to craft a sense of lightness and transparency. The exterior profile of the tower has been sculpted with chamfered corners and faceted planes creating a perception that the tower's silhouette shifts as the light changes throughout the day.

Old Posted May 10, 2006, 7:48 AM

Interesting roof. I hope it will be lit up nicely like the St. Regis'.

Old Posted May 10, 2006, 8:00 AM

Are they keeping the Fremont Street exit to the Financial District off the Bay Bridge? With One Rincon Hill, 300 Spear, 301 Mission and (hopefully) and Transbay Terminal Tower, along with the highrise development along the 500 block of Mission and Folsom, I'd imagine the exit off the Bridge and into the "new" Financial District south of Market should be quite impressive.

Old Posted May 31, 2006, 6:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_eddo
Are they keeping the Fremont Street exit to the Financial District off the Bay Bridge? With One Rincon Hill, 300 Spear, 301 Mission and (hopefully) and Transbay Terminal Tower, along with the highrise development along the 500 block of Mission and Folsom, I'd imagine the exit off the Bridge and into the "new" Financial District south of Market should be quite impressive.
they are keeping the fremont street exit open after the transbay terminal is rebuilt. and i agree, it should be an amazing view coming off that exit!

(someone should bring in those update pics of 301 mission from the california forum.)

Old Posted May 31, 2006, 6:36 AM

Not only are they keeping the Fremont ramp open, but Caltrans added that godd*amned Folsom fork, claiming an entire parcel that could've been another highrise, not to mention dumping a bunch of cars onto what the city has long envisioned as a pedestrian and transit spine. No, I'm not bitter about this. Anyway.

Old Posted May 31, 2006, 11:35 AM

Some of the windows will be very narrow. I'm not sure I like that.

Old Posted May 31, 2006, 4:29 PM

the windows are narrow, but i think i read that the architect really wanted to use the narrow vertical lines of the tower to emphasize its height. i'm curious to see how the windows will affect views for the tenants within the building.

here's another picture taken by fellow forumer pacifican:

it's nice to see that the crane is up! hopefully, we'll see the tower rise soon!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2006, 3:34 AM

not much info but 301 Mission now has a designated website.

http://millenniumtowersf.com/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive