HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 10, 2011, 11:33 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

Personally I think Main Street should stay Main Street. But I would like to offer a couple alternatives to "East Temple". How about "Olympic Boulevard", "Crossroads Street", "Industry Avenue", or "Gravitas Avenue"?

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 5:41 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANGELD_SLC View Post
Personally I think Main Street should stay Main Street. But I would like to offer a couple alternatives to "East Temple". How about "Olympic Boulevard", "Crossroads Street", "Industry Avenue", or "Gravitas Avenue"?

I vote a big no on "Olympics Boulevard" . We spent years of work trying to get the SLC Metro up to snuff for the Olympics and then years until the opening of City Creek Center in trying to fully rebuild Salt Lake City to our vision of it for the Olympics.

I like to think that by 2012 with the opening of City Creek Center and the later TRAX Airport line in 2013 that Salt Lake City can firmly move beyond the vision it set for itself during the Olympic period and that we can see a new period of stability within the city where we aren't trying to necessitate our retail or infrastructure. I'm officially calling the period of time that will follow the completion of I-15 CORE in Utah County and the Opening of City Creek Center as the "The New Stability."

This isn't to say that I don't want improved infrastructure or developments downtown, but that I'm excited for more of these developments to represent a vision for ourselves after the Olympics and that many of the new infrastructural improvements will be located outside of the areas where we would like to start seeing the city recover (areas that we thought had recovered during the 70's and 80's).

We've moved beyond the challenge we set for ourselves before the Olympics and dwelling on some kind of nostalgia doesn't keep our vision looking forward nor is it profitable for a city with a vision for greater things. "Olympics Boulevard" might as well be called "Has Been Boulevard."

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 7:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANGELD_SLC View Post

I like Olympic boulevard! Ive often thought that 4th south should have been renamed Olympic, especially since it leads to the Olympic cauldron at Rice Eccles stadium. Too bad they named it University Blvd instead...I don't See having an Olympic boulevard as a "has been" thing but more as a commemoration of the games in SLC. Los Angeles renamed 10th Street Olympic Boulevard after they hosted their first Summer Olympics. I think we should at least name a street in SLC Olympic Blvd!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 12:22 PM

^^^
Agreed, I'm kind of surprised they haven't already.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reachforthesky View Post
I like Olympic boulevard! Ive often thought that 4th south should have been renamed Olympic, especially since it leads to the Olympic cauldron at Rice Eccles stadium. Too bad they named it University Blvd instead...I don't See having an Olympic boulevard as a "has been" thing but more as a commemoration of the games in SLC. Los Angeles renamed 10th Street Olympic Boulevard after they hosted their first Summer Olympics. I think we should at least name a street in SLC Olympic Blvd!
I think it's more appropriate that 4th South be University Blvd than Olympic Blvd. The University has been there for 111 years. The Olympics were only 16 days, nine years ago and the events at the stadium (Opening and Closing Ceremonies) were only 2 of those days.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 12:44 AM

Olympic has a ring to it....

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 3:36 AM

It doesn't have to be 400 So., but I think there should be a street with the Olympic designation.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
It doesn't have to be 400 So., but I think there should be a street with the Olympic designation.
3rd West could be Olympic Blvd.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 5:28 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
3rd West could be Olympic Blvd.
300 west is John Stockton blvd.

200 west is the only street that goes by the medal plaza block that doesn't really have special meaning.... Why not give it some?

Giving that name to main street wouldn't even make sence. I don't think that I could get behind renaming Main street..... Although I probably would be ok with east temple

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post

200 west is the only street that goes by the medal plaza block that doesn't really have special meaning.... Why not give it some?

Giving that name to main street wouldn't even make sence.

I agree! I tried to think of some other roads besides 400 south and immediately i thought...3rd west!! perfect location next to Olympic sites, a main throughfare of SLC....then I remembered that its John stockton drive. but yeah 2nd West makes sense! Maybe even 4th west? (not too sure though..Its not a very grand street, becomes ugly once you get pass the gateway lol) Are there any other roads anyone can think of? What do you think it would take to get the city to change the street name? I think they maybe pretty open to the idea.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 6:24 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reachforthesky View Post
It was the Lyman System being adopted as state law that changed the streets names. I found an Interesting article that explains why the changes took place. http://www.utahrails.net/articles/sl-county-streets.php

Check it out! Its pretty interesting! I had no idea they had changed the street numbers till ajiuo brought it up on the forum! Thanks for the info ajiuo!
Great article. I had no idea! Thanks!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
Great article. I had no idea! Thanks!
No problem! I thought it would help!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 2:19 PM

We already have too many streets with names in addition to their numbered names:

John Stockton, MLK Jr., Cesar Chavez, Rosa Parks, University, Broadway,....

Nobody uses these street names anyway, so why add another to the list?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2011, 5:58 AM

Quote:
I know. It shouldn't be. They could rename 100 South between 3rd and 4th West John Stockton Blvd.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2011, 2:14 AM
Let It Rise!

Street names

Street names are stupid and make no sense for directions, especially when we have a numbered system that works just fine. I would say most locals don't even know the street names that exist now, I don't and don't care to.

Have you ever been approached by a visitor from out of town and was asked, can you tell me how to get to MLK Jr. or Cesar Chavez street? I'm like, what the fuck are you talking about, I have no clue.

I think they should stay as they are, we don't need to be like every other city in the U.S. with street names

My Mini City-Population http://saint-anthony.myminicity.com

Old Posted Jul 14, 2011, 3:12 AM
Lurker

Official Mid-Jordan Station Names:

Bingham Junction
Historic Gardner (formerly Gardner Village)
West Jordan City Center (formerly Redwood)
Sugar Factory Road (formerly 2700 West)
Jordan Valley (formerly Bangerter)
4800 W
5600 W
South Jordan Parkway (formerly Daybreak North)
Daybreak Parkway (formerly Daybreak South)

Old Posted Jul 14, 2011, 4:01 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctobsl View Post
Street names are stupid and make no sense for directions, especially when we have a numbered system that works just fine. I would say most locals don't even know the street names that exist now, I don't and don't care to.

Have you ever been approached by a visitor from out of town and was asked, can you tell me how to get to MLK Jr. or Cesar Chavez street? I'm like, what the fuck are you talking about, I have no clue.

I think they should stay as they are, we don't need to be like every other city in the U.S. with street names
it is not as common here but not unheard of. California Av is used frequently, Broadway is used semi-frequently, and there are more the further south you get.... and let us not forget west temple, south temple, north temple, state street, Main street, Highland Drive, and Redwood Rd... Even the out of towners use those names!

im not even sure why 300 S is called Broadway... it is not that wide of a street in comparison to a lot of other SLC streets.... maybe it was at one time?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2011, 4:30 AM
Let It Rise!

Quote:
it is not as common here but not unheard of. California Av is used frequently, Broadway is used semi-frequently, and there are more the further south you get.... and let us not forget west temple, south temple, north temple, state street, Main street, Highland Drive, and Redwood Rd... Even the out of towners use those names!

im not even sure why 300 S is called Broadway... it is not that wide of a street in comparison to a lot of other SLC streets.... maybe it was at one time?
hahaha You're right...!

I am 51 years old and I grew up with all those street names so I didn't take them into account. They're imbedded in my mind from when I was a teen roaming the streets of this valley.

I was mostly talking about the newer street names like from the past 5 years or so...

My Mini City-Population http://saint-anthony.myminicity.com

Old Posted Jul 14, 2011, 7:40 PM

They're installing the rails on the curve from 4th West to North Temple. It won't be long before cars will be able use the viaduct again. The rails across Redwood Road have been there for a while. They're hardly noticeable as you drive down North Temple.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2011, 12:59 PM

Salt Lake City rolls dice on funding N. Temple lights

Grand Boulevard » Council votes to start streetlight upgrades even with a lawsuit pending

By Derek P. Jensen
The Salt Lake Tribune

Salt Lake City is plowing ahead on its North Temple “Grand Boulevard” even though area property owners — who will be billed to fund the new, decorative streetlights — have sued to protest the fee...

...Overall, the goal is to finish the Grand Boulevard next year — complete with widened sidewalks and new landscaping — in time to greet the Utah Transit Authority’s TRAX train, which will bisect North Temple between downtown and the international airport...

(STEVE GRIFFIN | The Salt Lake Tribune) Construction continues on the North Temple overpass in downtown Salt Lake City, but the bridge is expected to open next month.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West