HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

View Poll Results: Which of the designs would you like to see become the new Lansdowne 'Front Lawn'?
Option A: "One Park, Four Landscapes" 12 11.88%
Option B: "Win Place Show" 23 22.77%
Option C: "A Force of Nature" 14 13.86%
Option D: "All Roads Lead to Aberdeen" 16 15.84%
Option E: "The Canal Park in Ottawa" 18 17.82%
None of the above. Please keep my ashphalt. 18 17.82%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 8:08 PM

Quote:
A "FOBRDAGNSOHB"? didn't I buy one of those from IKEA?

Too bad the Sun didn't run with the headline 'FOL is SOL' following the verdict.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 8:17 PM

My apologies if I may of touched on something that was already expressed on here.. I didn't read all the posts.. I just wanted to say that i'm personally for the Landsdowne over- haul....I'm against all the retail proposed though, especially if it's boxed stores like the "Source" and movie cinemas..I'm for re-doing the stadium, and I would be in favour of adding something more specialized like a world class Aquarium for example...Not another Jack Astor's..They really should develop the grounds, bring foot-ball back, but please don't make it into another "South Keys" or "Centrum"..Make it more unique, and symbiotic to the neighbourhood.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 4:59 AM

"Unique" costs more money, and it doesn't look like too many in that neighbourhood are much interested in any symbiosis with anything but a manicured lawn and some trees. But yes, it would be nice to aim a little higher than Jack Astor's.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
Something tells me this will only serve to further incense the FOL crowd.
Their cries of outrage have become a sweet, soothing melody to my ears now.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 2:11 PM

According to this article at salon.com, Whole Foods coming to a neighborhood mean that area is about to take off.

Whole Foods is coming? Time to buy

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 1:34 PM

Tenders due Wed May 09, 2012 15:00

From DCN:

Quote:
STADIUM, BERMS, PARKING GARAGE, SITE WORKS

Proj: 9091636-23

Ottawa, Ottawa-Carleton Reg ON

TENDERS DUE

Lansdowne Park, Frank Clair Stadium and Civic Centre, 1015 Bank St, K1S 3W7

Wed May 09, 2012 15:00

$129,300,000 est

extn

Start: March, 2012

Note:

INVITED TENDERS will be received by Coordinator.
Check documents regarding tender submission place. MANDATORY SITE VISIT: Jan 23 at 9:00 (Stadium, Berms and Site Works); Feb 6 at 9:00 (Parking Garage). For tender inq contact Stelios Hiotakis at 613 216-4345 ext 237, email: Stelios.hiotakis@mhpm.com
OWNER: Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group (OSEG), 180 Kent St, Suite 300, Ottawa ON.
INVITED TENDERS due time and date has been extended from Wed May 02, 2012 15:00. Addendum(a) no 19 issued.
Plans and specs on display at: Ottawa Const Assn, OCA-12-0077; Toronto & Mississauga Const Assn, TCA-12-0498

Project:

cast-in-place concrete structural frame, structural steel frame, renovations and additions to the existing Frank Clair Stadium and Civic Centre (North Stands) and the general construction of the Frank Clair Stadium South Stand stadium facilities (South Stands) including athletic field, perimeter stadium fencing, scoreboard, landscape grading, hardscape transitions and circulation features required for the functional operation of the stadium (ie northeast pedestrian bridge, south service road, east and west pedestrian pathways). The Lansdowne Park parking garage project consists of an underground parking garage servicing a total of 1370 vehicles as well as bicycle storage. The garage is primarily 1 level below grade with a small portion with a second level below grade at the south west corner adjacent to the new south side stands. The underground parking garage supports various multi storey retail building above (constructed by Others), in addition to three high rise buildings (constructed by Others) and the relocated horticulture building (relocated by Others). Three individual entrance/exit ramps are provided. The garage structure consists of a reinforced concrete structure including a suspended slab supported by concrete columns, drop panels, capitals, bearing on reinforced concrete pad footings. The high rise buildings (A, I and K) are bearing on mat foundations. West, East and South landscape berms will be formed to keep existing contaminated material onsite. These berms can be utilized for some of the remaining excavated material from excavation for the Parking Garage. Work of this contract includes the demolition of existing structures, including the Eddie Friel Building and the Coliseum. The services currently supplying Lansdowne Park predominantly pass through the area designated for the new parking garage. New site servicing must be installed prior to the removal of existing services. The project also includes site services for all new buildings in the Lansdowne Park Redevelopment Project and some elements of the Urban Park. This project will meet LEED Silver Certification.

Scope:
206,199 square feet; 5 storeys; parking for 1370 cars

Development:
Addition/alterations

Category:
Recreational bldgs; Public bldgs; Parking bldgs; Roads

Bidders:

PCL Constructors Canada Inc, 49 Auriga Dr, Nepean ON K2E 8A1
Broccolini Construction Inc, 130 Slater St Ste 1300, Ottawa ON K1P 6E2
Pomerleau Inc, 220-343 Preston St, Ottawa ON K1S 1N4
EllisDon Corporation, 2680 Queensview Drive, Ottawa ON K2B 8J9
source

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 4:41 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Looks like work is finally going to proceed. About damn time.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nredding View Post
According to this article at salon.com, Whole Foods coming to a neighborhood mean that area is about to take off.

Whole Foods is coming? Time to buy
EcoCite maybe?

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
EcoCite maybe?

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
EcoCite maybe?
Chapeau, monsieur.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 8:30 PM

Release from the city.

Quote:
City Council today approved a plan to proceed with preliminary construction work for the new Lansdowne Park.

Council voted to authorize work that is essential to the redevelopment of Lansdowne. Contaminated soil will be relocated, the Horticulture Building will be moved, the Coliseum Building will be demolished, utilities will be relocated and several pieces of artwork and memorials will be removed and stored for the construction period. The work required advancing $12.6 million of budget authority-for a total of approximately $14 million in construction projects previously approved by Council.

These works will allow an orderly progress of the construction program. The plan for the new Lansdowne includes a renovated stadium and Civic Centre, a major new City park next to the Rideau Canal and a lively urban village linked to Bank Street with a mixture of stores, restaurants, residences and public spaces.

Going ahead with these preliminary construction works does not constitute the legal close of the Lansdowne Partnership Plan with the Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group, the group of Ottawa business leaders who are working with the City to redevelop Lansdowne. The Finance and Economic Development Committee and City Council will receive the final legal agreements with a report in the next few months.

Through public tender, three major construction companies, PCL Constructors, Ellis Don and Pomerleau, have been shortlisted for construction of the stadium, an underground garage and site servicing. The estimated total cost of the stadium, the public portion of the garage and site-servicing work remains $129.3 million.

Construction of the urban park and retail-residential area of Lansdowne will follow.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 1:09 PM

I heard on the radio that John Martin has successfully arranged a hearing for an appeal on the Conservancy case. The hearing is sometime in the summer. Will this not end?

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 1:56 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
I heard on the radio that John Martin has successfully arranged a hearing for an appeal on the Conservancy case. The hearing is sometime in the summer. Will this not end?
How in the hell did he manage to swing that?! His proposal was tossed out as an abuse of process.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 2:31 PM
Citizen-at-large

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
How in the hell did he manage to swing that?! His proposal was tossed out as an abuse of process.
This is just speculation as I haven't seen any of the documents filed by Martin, but I'm fairly certain that this is an appeal of the finding that his case was an abuse of process. If the Court of Appeal agrees with him that it was not an abuse of process, then the matter will go back to a trial judge, who will be forced to consider Martin's actual arguments.

I don't believe the odds are in Martin's favour of winning the appeal.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 3:41 PM

Here is how his motion for appeal starts.If you want to read the whole thing google the file number.

Quote:
Court of Appeal File No.M41291
Divisional Court File No.55/12
Date of Order: 20120403
COURT OF APPEAL FOR ONTARIO

BETWEEN:
LANSDOWNE PARK CONSERVANCY
Applicant
(Moving Party)
- and -
THE CITY OF OTTAWA
Respondent
(Responding Party)

NOTICE OF MOTION FOR LEAVE TO APPEAL
The Moving Party/Applicant, LANSDOWNE PARK CONSERVANCY, will make a motion in writing to the court pursuant to Rule 61.03.1 of the Rules of Civil Procedure.
The court will hear the motion in writing 36 days after service of the moving party's motion record, factum and transcripts, if any, or on the filing of the moving party's reply factum, if any, whichever is earlier.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 6:16 PM

Of course he's appealing the decision. The last time I heard, it would seem he didn't want to pay the City for the case he lost, and was stalling in response to requests to forward what he owed.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadingEdgeBoomer View Post
Here is how his motion for appeal starts.If you want to read the whole thing google the file number.
His impulsiveness will cost him dearly.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migo View Post
His impulsiveness will cost him dearly.
A letter to one's local councillor stressing that no one but "The Conservancy" should be footing the bill for this frivolous obstructionism would be in order right about now.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 10:50 AM

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 11:49 AM

That's a great piece. I like that the anchor opens with "something residents say, they know nothing about"...followed by idiotic comments...followed by extremely professional answers to how it will go down.

Another story about nothing.

What is with people who think everything is a new experimental project in this city? A tunnel? How will that work!? Tearing down a building with Asbestos? It's never been done!? etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa