HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 8:00 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Whereas I didn't know any of those names before I got into cycling. Save for Armstrong, but I wasn't paying attention back then, so it probably went in one ear and out the other.
That's interesting and also quite surprising.

For some reason individual sports (cycling, tennis, F1, boxing, UFC but not golf) seem more popular in Quebec.

I was in restaurant having breakfast on the weekend and all of the TVs had the Italian Grand Prix on.

As with cycling I am only a casual follower of Formula 1. As I glanced at the screen it dawned upon me that I instantly knew most of the drivers' names just from three letters used to identify them in the ranking: HAM (Hamilton), VER (Verstappen), STR (Stroll), RAI (Raikkonen), MAS (Massa), ALO (Alonso), VET (Vettel), etc.

Societal osmosis again I guess.

I am going to look up the top players in the NBA, MLB and NFL to see how many I know.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 8:03 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

So all of the NFL MVPs from the past 5-10 years are names I am familiar with.

But I only know two or three names on this list of NFL award winners from last season:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6th_Annual_NFL_Honors

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 8:05 PM

^ Yeah wow, there has clearly been a generational change. I only recognized two or three of those names myself, apart from the Hall of Fame inductees.

It's not that I don't like the NFL, it's just that I don't have a rooting interest in any of the teams so I tend not to pay attention. It's kind of like the years when the NHL was out of Winnipeg, I never really watched the NHL. So when the NHL came back in 2011 I had a hell of a lot of players to find out about... basically anyone who didn't play for Team Canada or a team in the Manitoba Moose's division of the AHL.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Speaking of LDT, I don't remember if I posted about his new contract signing earlier this year that makes him one of the higher paid OL in the NFL. He also seems to have won the title of most interesting man in the NFL as almost every writer makes that quote about him.

Laurent Duvernay-Tardif signs 5-year Chiefs extension
Chris Wesseling Around the NFL Writer Feb. 28, 2017

The Chiefs have rewarded one of the key cogs in their ground attack with a lucrative long-term contract.

Kansas City finalized a five-year contract extension with right guard Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, his agent announced Tuesday. A source with knowledge of the situation told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport the new deal is worth $41.25 million.

A sixth-round pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, Duvernay-Tardif has started 30 games over the past two years after essentially redshirting as a rookie. With Duvernay-Tardif and center Mitch Morse emerging as effective run blockers, the Chiefs' running game has remained effective even with Spencer Ware replacing Jamaal Charles as the featured back.

Duvernay-Tardif is one of the most interesting players in today's NFL. In addition to playing football, he is also a medical student at Montreal's prestigious McGill University. He has taken two yearlong sailing trips with his family.

"If they ever want to do a '30 for 30' on an offensive lineman, it would have to be Larry," Morse said of his teammate last summer. "The guy is multi-talented."

The man with divided passions has quickly become one of coach Andy Reid's favorite players.

"The way he's wired is just different," Reid explained, via ESPN.com. "He's brilliant, but he can just get down and just be dirty tough. He's able to separate that. But that dirty tough part, I don't want him if he's an orthopedic surgeon to do my knee replacement with that attitude. You understand what I'm saying?"

Duvernay-Tardif has a bright future as a surgeon. In the meantime, he's building a rather comfortable nest egg with football.
I've always found it fascinating how the biggest guys on the field also consistently rank as some of the smartest. Offensive linemen post an average Wonderlic score that trails only the Quarterbacks. They then go and squat 500 pounds and rep 225 on the bench 40 times. One of the least flashy and thankless positions in the game, but incredibly important and requiring just as much hard work as any.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 8:08 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I know maybe 2-3 names from the 2017 NBA all-star team. Maybe 4 but I think one is due to current player Isaiah Thomas have a "homonym" player from 25 years ago.

I hardly know anyone on the MLB all-star teams. I am actually quite surprised at this. Neither the AL nor NL MVPs from last season are names that I know.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
I've always found it fascinating how the biggest guys on the field also consistently rank as some of the smartest. Offensive linemen post an average Wonderlic score that trails only the Quarterbacks. They then go and squat 500 pounds and rep 225 on the bench 40 times. One of the least flashy and thankless positions in the game, but incredibly important and requiring just as much hard work as any.
Probably the most extreme case in point is John Urschel... he just retired as an O-lineman for the Baltimore Ravens in his prime at the age of 26 so that he could pursue a Ph.D. in math at MIT. He already has a master's and numerous published articles to his credit.

Fun fact: He's from Winnipeg

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 8:13 PM

Also in the category of brainy O-linemen is Pete Dyakowski, who memorably won the first "Canada's Smartest Person" that the CBC ran a few years ago

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 8:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Yeah wow, there has clearly been a generational change. I only recognized two or three of those names myself, apart from the Hall of Fame inductees.

It's not that I don't like the NFL, it's just that I don't have a rooting interest in any of the teams so I tend not to pay attention. It's kind of like the years when the NHL was out of Winnipeg, I never really watched the NHL. So when the NHL came back in 2011 I had a hell of a lot of players to find out about... basically anyone who didn't play for Team Canada or a team in the Manitoba Moose's division of the AHL.
Yeah, and I actually do watch NFL games from time to time. (It's probably the 4th or 5th sports league I watch the most.)

But if you asked me to name recent NFL players, I'd name the Manning brothers, Tom Brady, Tony Romo, Cam Newton, that Marshawn (Johnson?) guy on Seattle, and the ones that have been controversial like Kaepernick and Vick.

But many of the top players on that awards list are totally faceless to me.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 8:16 PM

And let's not forget Winnipeg's Geoff Gray, who went straight from the U. Manitoba Bisons to the NFL this season. He was just released by Green Bay and immediately picked up by the New York Jets. He has an engineering degree.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 8:16 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am going to look up the top players in the NBA, MLB and NFL to see how many I know.
I can't name a single NFL player from the past thirty years off the top of my head, but I'd probably recognize some of the more popular names. I'm more familiar with Jays players by osmosis, but as I sit here I'm trying to remember any names at all, and they're not coming to me. I know there's a Josh on the team.

Same with hockey. PK Subban comes to mind because of the unique name and because he's black, but no others. You'd think I'd know some Leafs players, being here in "Leafs Nation" and all, but I don't. The NBA is a different story because I'm a fan and avidly watch pretty much every Raptors' game.

I think some people are catholic sports fans who take an interest in almost anything of note. You seem to be a bit that way, Acajack.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 8:27 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
I can't name a single NFL player from the past thirty years off the top of my head, but I'd probably recognize some of the more popular names. I'm more familiar with Jays players by osmosis, but as I sit here I'm trying to remember any names at all, and they're not coming to me. I know there's a Josh on the team.

Same with hockey. PK Subban comes to mind because of the unique name and because he's black, but no others. You'd think I'd know some Leafs players, being here in "Leafs Nation" and all, but I don't. The NBA is a different story because I'm a fan and avidly watch pretty much every Raptors' game.

I think some people are catholic sports fans who take an interest in almost anything of note. You seem to be a bit that way, Acajack.
I am like that about a lot of things in society.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 8:34 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Oddly enough I pay about as much attention to the CFL as the NHL, but only about 20% of the names on the CFL all-star team are familiar to me, whereas a good two thirds of all-star NHLers I know of.

It shows just how bombarded we are with NHL coverage and marketing here.

Osmosis again.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Oddly enough I pay about as much attention to the CFL as the NHL, but only about 20% of the names on the CFL all-star team are familiar to me, whereas a good two thirds of all-star NHLers I know of.

It shows just how bombarded we are with NHL coverage and marketing here.

Osmosis again.
It's not terribly surprising... I watch a good amount of CFL and each season I am always thrown off by a couple of all-stars or NFL signees. It quite often happens with relatively low-profile players in the "other division" (depending on whether you live in the east or the west).

For instance, if Montreal has some amazing second year import DB or O-lineman it might pass under my radar until an all-star team or NFL signing is announced.

I think it's partly because CFL rosters are big with a lot of turnover so it's tougher to keep track of players, especially those who don't play super high profile positions like QB, WR, RB, LB. By contrast, NHL rosters are smaller, more stable, and yes, more highly visible in Canada.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 8:52 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It's not terribly surprising... I watch a good amount of CFL and each season I am always thrown off by a couple of all-stars or NFL signees. It quite often happens with relatively low-profile players in the "other division" (depending on whether you live in the east or the west).

For instance, if Montreal has some amazing second year import DB or O-lineman it might pass under my radar until an all-star team or NFL signing is announced.

I think it's partly because CFL rosters are big with a lot of turnover so it's tougher to keep track of players, especially those who don't play super high profile positions like QB, WR, RB, LB. By contrast, NHL rosters are smaller, more stable, and yes, more highly visible in Canada.
Star NHLers also get more exposure due to Olympics, World Cup of Hockey, WJCs, etc.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 8:59 PM

I see Edmonton are getting their first UFC event this weekend

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 2:41 AM

Interesting bit of trivia, the next time one of the brainwashed wannabees tells you how crappy the CFL or Canadian university football is, you can tell them that almost half (6) of the 14 Canadian players in the NFL came from a Canadian school. And there's two more (one on a practice squad and one as a free agent).

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 4:03 AM
Registered Drug User

Just watched the Grand Prix Cycliste de Québec. Peter Sagan is turning into a true legend of the sport, and Quebec City looked absolutely fantastic as a site for a bike race.

As a fervent fan of cycling I'm accustomed to European cities, towns and villages forming the backdrop to the racing (when they aren't in the mountains), and Quebec City totally fits the bill on that score. The peleton climbing up Côte de la Montagne looked dreamy and magical. The two British presenters on Eurosport were lavish in their praise of the stunning beauty of the city during the helicopter shots of the Plains of Abraham and the old city.

I'm an unabashed fan of the cycling culture in the province of Quebec. The amazing network of cycling paths of La Route Verte and the two major pro races in Quebec City and Montreal are proof positive that something special is going on there.

Chapeau.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 9:51 PM

Adam has climbed a lot of big hills – Interview with LB Adam Bighill
Tyler Raymon whodatdish.com September 6 2017

This week I had the pleasure, and honor of getting to talk to New Orleans Saints linebacker, and preseason standout, Adam Bighill.

Adam Bighill, 28, is currently a part of the New Orleans Saints practice squad. After spending some time in the Canadian Football League honing his craft, he has quickly grown to be one of Saints fans’ favorite players.

Before joining the New Orleans Saints, Adam spent his time playing for the BC Lions. In his six seasons with the BC Lions, Bighill most definitely accomplished a lot. Not only did he earn the CFL’s Most Outstanding Defensive Player in 2015, but was also named a CFL All-Star four times throughout his career. During those outstanding six seasons, Bighill played a total of just under 100 games, and contributed nearly 500 tackles with 489, 33 sacks, eight interceptions, and eight forced fumbles.

His journey to the NFL wasn’t easy, but it was certainly worth the time and effort. Starting off at Montesano Washington High School, to Central Washington University, then to the CFL with the BC Lions, and now in the National Football League. One of the New Orleans Saints most popular players is starting to live his life long dream, and he couldn’t be happier.

Talking with Adam Bighill

Tyler: What would you say personally is the biggest difference between the NFL and the CFL?

Adam: The NFL game is more physical. However coming from the CFL, the NFL Game to me is slower. I can play extremely fast since my eyes and reactions have been trained to see more and quicker in the CFL.

Tyler: How have you been preparing physically during the off-season?

Adam: I played in the CFL anywhere from 222-230. I have made sure that I’m 235-240 down here. I’ve done that over 6 months, so my speed, conditioning, and explosiveness is all still on point. I train with Rob Williams (@SportcorePro ) Of SPORTCORE PERFORMANCE. He is a movement coach, and he has handled the majority of my training, focusing on being able to be maximally efficient as an athlete. I love the training process for the season, it’s something I enjoy.

Tyler: What’s it like to be apart of Who Dat Nation, and the love you’ve received so far?

Adam: It’s amazing being part of Who Dat Nation. From the moment I signed, I had fans giving me a warm welcome. It’s great to play for a team that has a city so passionate about football. Not only that, there are so many amazing Who Dat fans across the country! I play with 110% effort and heart every play, I fly around, and will always be around the ball. Throughout my career I’ve gained earned respect from my coaches teammates and fans just from the way I play. I’m very thankful for all the fans that support me and my career, much love!

Tyler: The Saints are always looking for players with dynamic abilities or something special about them. What do you consider your greatest strengths in regards to playing the linebacker position?

Adam: My football IQ, and my explosiveness. I’m able to diagnose quickly, then use my speed to get there fast. My Explosiveness allows me to take on and shed offensive linemen, as well as close in on and cover TEs or RBs.

Tyler: How have you grown as an athlete from the seasons of experience playing in the CFL?

Adam: In the CFL, you HAVE to play special teams, starters included. I played at least 2 1/2 special teams up there while being a starter. The special teams game up there is very dynamic, there is always a return. No fair catches (give a 5 yd halo) and kickoffs are always returned. So from that, I’ve had a lot of experience dominating the special teams game.

Also, with the field being wider, there’s more space to cover. You have to really excel as an athlete to cover man to man up there, as well as just running sideline to sideline to make plays.

Tyler: What kind of impact would you like to make in the National Football League?

Adam: I’ve always set high goals and expectations for myself. First off, I want to help this team win. With that being said, I play this game to be considered one of the best to do it. I don’t line up every week just happy to be here and blend in. I want to be THE BEST. I want teams to have me circled on their scouting reports, and I want to make an impact every game. Whatever my role is this season, you can assure that I’ll be doing it with idea and effort of being the best.

Tyler: Saints fans right now are in awe over the numerous plays, and tackles you’ve made so far in the preseason. What are you looking to build off of from those positive experiences on the field?

Adam: I’m looking forward to continuing to show I can consistently make plays in this league. That’s was great players do, they are consistent. They make that same play 98/100 times. My preparation week in and week out gives me the confidence and the ability to play fast and be great.

Tyler: Tell me about LB coach Mike Nolan, and how he’s helped you since joining the New Orleans Saints?

Adam: Mike Nolan is a football mastermind. He has all the answers for all your questions. He keeps it pretty simple with our techniques and what we need to accomplish. With that being said we work daily on perfecting those little things that make us better LBs. He makes sure we are prepared and does a great job of creating standards of excellence in our room.

Tyler: Who do you think will be the next big CFL star to come to the NFL?

Adam: That’s a good question. There are plenty of great players up there that somehow slid through the cracks.
There were handful of guys who made it down to teams this year, although only a couple have stuck so far. Not sure who will be next as of right now.

Tyler: I’m sure you know by now, but in case you don’t, you’ve quickly become a fan favorite for Saints fans. Is there anything you’d like to say to get everyone excited about the season, or what’s to come from you personally?

Adam: Yes of course. Thank you to everyone out there who has shown me love. My passion for this game is immense, and I’m willing to work harder then anyone to be the best. I think some of that has shown over the preseason. I’m stoked to be a part of a team that’s fan base is country wide and so passionate. WHO DAT!

From the bottom of my heart, I just wanted to personally wish Adam Bighill the best of luck as he continues his quest with the New Orleans Saints. Adam was a pleasure to interview, and I expect only phenomenal things from the linebacker going forward. From the crew at Who Dat Dish, and most definitely myself, good luck Mr. Bighill, we’ll be rooting for you.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 9:53 PM

Update:
Farhan Lalji TSN September 11 2017

Former BC Lions linebacker Adam Bighill will be in the New Orleans Saints' lineup for their season opener against the Minnesota Vikings Monday night, according to TSN's Farhan Lalji.

Bighill was signed to the Saints' practice roster after spending training camp with the team, but will be promoted to the 53-man roster ahead of their Week 1 game, according to Lalji.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 2:14 AM
Go Chiefs!

Felix Auger-Aliassime won another Challenger this weekend and his ranking has skyrocketed to #168. He has now won the exact same number of Challengers (2) as Shapovalov.

He becomes the 3rd player to win multiple Challenger titles by the age of 17 (after Gasquet and Nadal).

He's also the youngest player in the top 200 since Nadal in 2002.
Quote:
Felix Auger-Aliassime's victory in a Challenger tournament in Seville, Spain last week moved the 17-year-old into the world's top 200 at No. 168 on Monday, only a month after the 18-year-old Shapovalov cracked the top 100 with his run to the semifinals of the Rogers Cup in Montreal.

Auger-Aliassime, from Montreal, became the youngest player to reach the top 200 since Rafael Nadal in 2002. And his progress is well ahead of the No. 245 ranking that Shapovalov held as a 17-year-old last September.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/tennis/feli...king-1.4284896

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada