HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Royal Connaught Phase III in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Hamilton Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
It is pre cast.
Touché. But I meant all that crappy brick. I think this will look a little better

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 6:01 PM

The black isn't precast. It's spandrel glass

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
The black isn't precast. It's spandrel glass
that's what I thought, then he said it was precast and I got confused lol

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 4:42 AM
Ham-burgher

This article -- http://www.thespec.com/news-story/66...eady-progress/ -- quoted in other threads mentions this:

Construction of the 122-unit first phase of the long derelict King Street hotel's rebirth as condos is underway and expected to wrap up in March 2017.

Presales for the second phase will be launched in two weeks, developer Rudi Spallacci said in an email.

Is phase 2 still the older portion of the original hotel? (east half)

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
This article -- http://www.thespec.com/news-story/66...eady-progress/ -- quoted in other threads mentions this:

Construction of the 122-unit first phase of the long derelict King Street hotel's rebirth as condos is underway and expected to wrap up in March 2017.

Presales for the second phase will be launched in two weeks, developer Rudi Spallacci said in an email.

Is phase 2 still the older portion of the original hotel? (east half)
Phase 2 is the hideous penthouses they're tacking onto the original building.

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 1:38 PM
Hammer'd

I really hope they reconsider on that once phase I is wrapped up. It's terrible and seems pointless if phase III includes brand new buildings on the empty lot in the back anyway. Why not just tack a few more floors onto that?
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
I really hope they reconsider on that once phase I is wrapped up. It's terrible and seems pointless if phase III includes brand new buildings on the empty lot in the back anyway. Why not just tack a few more floors onto that?
Some people were speculating demand may not be there for a new tower so they tacked on a couple more floors to phase II

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 3:40 PM

Phase two is the entire red brick portion of the building including the rooftop addition.

There is definitely not the demand for a tower. It would be cool, but let's be real. It won't sell fast. People aren't looking for glass boxes in Hamilton.

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 4:30 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

There should be one. Hamilton gets thousands of new people each year, at least a few hundred should be moving into towers...

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
There should be one. Hamilton gets thousands of new people each year, at least a few hundred should be moving into towers...
And they are. Regency, Connaught Phase 1 and 2. City square phase 1,2,3. 150 Main, Acclamation, The Connolly, 467 Charlton.

I wouldn't be surprised if Connaught developers are getting cold feet building a new 30 story tower, let alone 3. Would be tough to fill.

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 5:42 PM

4 of those projects are mid rise though. I think there will be a market for high rise rental, but I just don't think buyers looking at Hamilton will want a Toronto style box, at a nearly Toronto price in Hamilton. Many coworkers I've spoken to in Toronto say a big appeal is the LACK of Big mundane condos with small expensive units.

I think mid rise "boutique" style condos & stacked town homes are guaranteed hits when it comes to developments. Towers are risky, especially new ones.

Edit: on topic, the back of the building currently getting glazed. You can see it from hunter, but it won't really be visible until they get a few floors higher.

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
4 of those projects are mid rise though. I think there will be a market for high rise rental, but I just don't think buyers looking at Hamilton will want a Toronto style box, at a nearly Toronto price in Hamilton. Many coworkers I've spoken to in Toronto say a big appeal is the LACK of Big mundane condos with small expensive units.

I think mid rise "boutique" style condos & stacked town homes are guaranteed hits when it comes to developments. Towers are risky, especially new ones.

Edit: on topic, the back of the building currently getting glazed. You can see it from hunter, but it won't really be visible until they get a few floors higher.
good point. mid rises and towns are far more attractive than large towers.

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
good point. mid rises and towns are far more attractive than large towers.
I'd love to live in the top of the Connaughts new tower. Only thing is I'd like an open floor plan condo and not one with a little kitchen and room for 1 couch off of it, which it seem's like most condo's are. I want some room baby!!

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 9:57 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
And they are. Regency, Connaught Phase 1 and 2. City square phase 1,2,3. 150 Main, Acclamation, The Connolly, 467 Charlton.

I wouldn't be surprised if Connaught developers are getting cold feet building a new 30 story tower, let alone 3. Would be tough to fill.
Most of City square is finished, and a few of the others are midrises. So that's what, 4-6 towers for the next five years? Winnipeg has 4 towers going up right now (assuming the diagrams section covers everything) with a number in the works. Ottawa has like 8-9 condo towers going up (with loads of midrises, lowrises, and rowhousing infill). Hamilton with it's size and growth rate it should have at least 2-3 condo towers going up at any one time along with numerous midrises and infill projects.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Most of City square is finished, and a few of the others are midrises. So that's what, 4-6 towers for the next five years? Winnipeg has 4 towers going up right now (assuming the diagrams section covers everything) with a number in the works. Ottawa has like 8-9 condo towers going up (with loads of midrises, lowrises, and rowhousing infill). Hamilton with it's size and growth rate it should have at least 2-3 condo towers going up at any one time along with numerous midrises and infill projects.
But Winnipeg and ottawa dont have toronto and the gta to compete with in building and attracting condo residents, hamilton does. A lot of the condo market goes to burlington, missisauga, toronto. I dont think you can directly compare winnipeg to hamilton.

Its a big reason why downtown hamilton didnt have any significant skyline additions in 30 years.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Its a big reason why downtown hamilton didnt have any significant skyline additions in 30 years.
And also a big reason a lot of the more successful projects have been smaller ones. No major skyline changes, but massive changes to the city views from the streets.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 2:27 PM

Also downtown Hamilton was considered awful for the longest time, no one wanted anything to do with it until a couple years ago and a lot of old school Hamiltonians still consider it to be a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatboots View Post
also downtown hamilton was considered awful for the longest time, no one wanted anything to do with it until a couple years ago and a lot of old school hamiltonians still consider it to be a wretched hive of scum and villainy.
qft

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 8:04 PM

Also, in the late 1990's with the loss of industry and the reconfiguring of a lot of firms back to Toronto or onto new suburban office complexes, investment in high-rises was going directly towards retrofitting old office towers into condos (Chateau Royale, Pigott Building, The Residences on Augusta, etc.) Why build new when the city is giving you millions to convert already existing units?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 8:57 PM

Windows now being installed on the John street side of the addition.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton