HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Someone is going to end up complaining about the noise, especially from the 360 Amphitheater. Not unheard of. Texas Motor Speedway has condos for sale by turn 2. Nice looking tallish and longish building with breathtaking views of mostly vacant track except for a few times a year. Less than 400K will get you a 2 bed 2 bath 1500 square foot home. I can see it happening at COTA, but at a much higher, snooty price. I just don't find it appealing personally. But I do see some excellent camera angles from the rooftops for televised races. As far as the last two pics, looks like Hanna - Barbera might be the architectual influence. Hey Jane, I'm home!!
I doubt anyone will be occupying these condos except during F-1 races. Probably just uber rich people buying nice condos to fly to once a year to show off to their friends and watch the race and then leave empty the rest of the year.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 1:45 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
I doubt anyone will be occupying these condos except during F-1 races. Probably just uber rich people buying nice condos to fly to once a year to show off to their friends and watch the race and then leave empty the rest of the year.
My guess is it's a combination of

1) F1 and MotoGP event attendance
2) Access to the track with your super car when there aren't races.
3) Store money in US real estate

These are all pretty low unit count developments, so it's definitely about offloading really expensive units to the ultra-wealthy for basically 2-3 time a year usage.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 8:26 PM

The City Council is being briefed about the COTA PUD (Item #58) at this week's meeting (08/23).

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 6:07 PM

Some quotes from the ABJ:

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...ck-hotels.html

Quote:
There is one hotel developer in particular Circuit of The Americas is focused on pursuing, but Epstein declined to provide a name. The hotel will likely have 275 to 400 rooms and be built near the lake on site. With a small waterpark, the family-oriented hotel would cater to youth sports team tournaments.
Quote:
COTA also is in talks with a condo developer, Forza COTA Ventures LLC, to build a $500 million mixed-use condo project. That developer wants to build five towers with 150 condominiums, three upscale restaurants and a unique luxury car club that would give members access to high-end sports cars to race around the track. That project alone would generate an estimated 200 jobs, according to Forza COTA Ventures.
Quote:
Circuit of The Americas is also meeting with three potential developers interested in building a sports complex with indoor volleyball, basketball and cheerleading facilities.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 7:37 PM
Meh

Ugh. How were you able to see that article? I tried and tried, but I couldn't.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Ugh. How were you able to see that article? I tried and tried, but I couldn't.
The old ESC key method. Freerover recently said he had trouble using that method. So far it always works for me on the ABJ and Statesman sites.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 7:43 AM
World Traveler

You know, the sports stuff, waterpark, etc., make perfect sense there. It's still a stretch for MLS, of course, but they could pull off a destination on the outskirts with a lot of the other stuff.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 12:55 AM

Austin, COTA in the running for IndyCar race

https://www.mystatesman.com/sports/m...4a93gRoSNgeDI/

An IndyCar race in Austin appears to be edging closer to reality. The U.S.-based open-wheel circuit, whose cars scream down straightaways at up to 230 mph, is considering Circuit of the Americas for a future race, possibly as early as next year, according to published reports.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 1:12 AM

Wow, I didn't know that Texas Motor Speedway dropped it's exclusivity radius. This would be a huge win for COTA and I hope it happens.

I don't think Indy and F1 have raced at the same track in a long time. I can't see them being happy with this - but we'll see.

However, the article mentions a course running through downtown San Antonio as another option. That would be pretty badass too. Would love to see either of these cities get it.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 1:26 AM

This is great news. I hope it happens.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 1:38 PM

Yeah, this is a great deal if it happens. Since Indycar is North America only, COTA would be the only track in the world hosting F1, MotoGP, and Indycar races.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 2:32 PM
Resident Moron

Dollars to donuts the San Antonio offer is most likely a barganing chip for COTA. There isn't a world in which Indy doesn't want a race that is a a ready-made world class facility.

COTA has been facilities and amenities + track condition than anything else they race on by a mile that isn't the Brickyard.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 4:57 PM

The majority of Indy Car racing is done on road courses. My Favorite being Sonoma where Nascar also races stock car. So the Indy Drivers are definitely used to rubbing tires and steering left and right. I would imagine they would love to race at COTA. Hopefully they and the owners have some input. I don't think they would generate the same crowds as F1, being F1 is international and people come from all over the world to follow their drivers / teams, but I would most likely attend an Indy Car event there. Its pretty much all American...they only race in the US. I saw plenty of empty seats at an Indy race at TMS, none at a Nascar event. The timeline for a decision is incredibly soon so this must have been in the works for a while. Next step would be to get a stock car race here if TMS doesn't block it. I'd attend if they came here. I grew tired of the traffic getting into TMS, and out, then the long drive home. I think parking will need to be expanded for Indy and Nascar where more people will be arriving in the own cars and RV's than the week long F1 events with those fans filling the hotels in and around downtown and bussing to the track. F1, Moto GP, Indy, Nascar, we get a Superfecta. Now how 'bout a drag strip??

Last edited by the Genral; Aug 27, 2018 at 5:11 PM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 5:01 PM

Quote:
F1, Moto GP, Indy, Nascar, we get a Superfecta, even if they race in any order. Now how 'bout a drag strip??
Now you're talking Genral!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 6:16 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
Dollars to donuts the San Antonio offer is most likely a barganing chip for COTA. There isn't a world in which Indy doesn't want a race that is a a ready-made world class facility.

COTA has been facilities and amenities + track condition than anything else they race on by a mile that isn't the Brickyard.
I was Googling around looking for another article to post in the San Antonio forum with that blurb, but I didn't really find one. I did, however, find an article from 2005 that talked about a possible IndyCar race in San Antonio. I don't remember it if actually happened or not, but anyway, they have proposed having it there before.

https://www.autosport.com/indycar/ne...io-street-race

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 7:36 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
The majority of Indy Car racing is done on road courses. My Favorite being Sonoma where Nascar also races stock car. So the Indy Drivers are definitely used to rubbing tires and steering left and right. I would imagine they would love to race at COTA. Hopefully they and the owners have some input. I don't think they would generate the same crowds as F1, being F1 is international and people come from all over the world to follow their drivers / teams, but I would most likely attend an Indy Car event there. Its pretty much all American...they only race in the US. I saw plenty of empty seats at an Indy race at TMS, none at a Nascar event. The timeline for a decision is incredibly soon so this must have been in the works for a while. Next step would be to get a stock car race here if TMS doesn't block it. I'd attend if they came here. I grew tired of the traffic getting into TMS, and out, then the long drive home. I think parking will need to be expanded for Indy and Nascar where more people will be arriving in the own cars and RV's than the week long F1 events with those fans filling the hotels in and around downtown and bussing to the track. F1, Moto GP, Indy, Nascar, we get a Superfecta. Now how 'bout a drag strip??

Indycar has been having a rough go of it lately. They have had some success and the 500 is obviously a major event... but honestly since their heyday in the early 90s (Fedipali, Mario Andretti, Mansel) they have had a string of bureaucratic issues including a split of the series into two competing bodies and an inability to develop star drivers that stuck with the support (Patrick).

Rumors that Alonso may make the jump next year could be a great time to build a resurgent open wheel racing series based solely in the US.

That said, they are not "event" races in the same way F1 is because there are so many all over the US.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post

That said, they are not "event" races in the same way F1 is because there are so many all over the US.
I'll rephrase... in the "event" that they come to COTA, I'll attend.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 9:18 PM
クラブトクヨ

I hope this happens, I love COTA and anything that brings more action at COTA is a good thing to me.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 8:36 AM
World Traveler

^ I feel the same way. Bring as much as you want to COTA, it will help it be sustainable and hopefully spur on growth elsewhere from the revenue that comes with everything. Just a horrible spot for MLS or any other pro sports team, in my opinion.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
^ I feel the same way. Bring as much as you want to COTA, it will help it be sustainable and hopefully spur on growth elsewhere from the revenue that comes with everything. Just a horrible spot for MLS or any other pro sports team, in my opinion.
I certainly hope it brings development to that area. Would like to see growth expand out in that slice of the Austin pie, as the whole area seems so undeveloped even though it is relatively close to the central core.

And for the record, I do own 25 acres of open farmland just a stone’s throw from the west side of the COTA property.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin