HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 3:43 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
I like this photo. Those supertankers reminds me of the fleet of imperial star destroyers in ESB.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 3:55 AM
I am a typical

Yeah I love how the totally fucking up of the image made them appear to just be floating around in the sky. The unprocessed original makes it look like they're sitting on top of a barren tundra:

This was taken with my old D70 and the battery died just after I took these and I forgot the backup. I still joke about how I was able to climb up a 20 foot ladder to get these shots but I can't climb up a similar 10 foot ladder at work without getting scared. I care about photography more than I care about retrieving random rarely used materials from a loft.

Vancouver's port was interesting because the ships point in all different directions, in Thunder Bay they almost always point the same direction.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 8:29 PM

Depends on what the tide is doing. You must have taken the picture at slack tide or near otherwise they usually all point in generally the same direction on a strong flood or ebb.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post

I still joke about how I was able to climb up a 20 foot ladder to get these shots but I can't climb up a similar 10 foot ladder at work without getting scared. I care about photography more than I care about retrieving random rarely used materials from a loft.

Found the same thing when I went up Stantec tower and JW. Had no issue as long as the camera was in front of me. Take it away and I was pissing myself on the final climb up and down. (You have to use an exterior access) not the best 50 odd stories up.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 1:45 AM
So very tired...

I got some pictures of Holland America's MS Noordam and Evergreen's Ever Summit transiting First Narrows from and to the Port of Vancouver just last week...

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 2:01 PM
HVAC guru

Love watching the activity on Vancouver's waterfront. One of our favorite things to do on a sunny afternoon is sit on a patio & watch all the ships, seabus, seaplanes and numerous other craft coming & going.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 6:24 PM

Wow that is a very low tide.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Wow that is a very low tide.
Even at LLW there is still about 10 to 15 meters of water under the keel.
Once I get my hands on an electronic chart I'll be able to confirm.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 5:18 PM

New hope for Churchill?

https://www.manitobacooperator.ca/da...gtype=homepage

The federal government has announced an “agreement in principle” which will see a new partnership fix up northern Manitoba’s washed-out Hudson Bay Railway and take over the mothballed Port of Churchill.

Details of the agreement were slim at best in the government’s announcement Wednesday, except to say the buying group slated to take over the northern Manitoba assets includes Toronto-based investment firm Fairfax Financial Holdings; Regina pulse crop processor AGT Food and Ingredients; and Missinippi Rail Partners, a joint operation of Missinippi Rail Limited Partnership and OneNorth, a pair of groups representing northern communities in Manitoba and Nunavut.

The buying group’s agreement in principle with U.S. shortline operator OmniTrax, the previous owner of the rail and port assets, will “restore rail service to northern Manitoba and transfer ownership of the Port of Churchill,” the government said.

The new arrangement, the government said, has “active participation” from 30 First Nations and 11 non-First Nations communities in northern Manitoba, plus seven Kivalliq communities in western Nunavut.

“The people of northern Manitoba have long understood the value of the rail line,” federal Natural Resources Minister Jim Carr, a Winnipeg MP, said in the government’s release. “This agreement in principle allows those most affected to have a direct stake in the future and long-term interests of their communities.”

Wednesday’s announcement, the government said, “is a signal that negotiations are moving forward and a made-in-Canada solution is imminent.”

Missinippi and OneNorth “provide First Nation and community participation through their ownership stake and shortline rail experience,” the government said, while Fairfax and AGT offer “significant private sector leadership” as well as their own experience in shortline rail.

AGT — a supplier of lentils, peas, beans and chickpeas from the Prairies and other pulse-growing countries — and Fairfax are also “integral to the longer-term financial prospects of the Port of Churchill,” the government said.

Wednesday’s announcement appears to officially freeze out another prospective buying group, a consortium of Manitoba First Nations led by Chief Glenn Hudson of Peguis First Nation with a new operator, iChurchill Inc.

iChurchill said May 22 it had agreed to terms with OmniTrax in March for the port and railway, but last week halted any further negotiations, citing the federal government’s “unwillingness to engage in meaningful dialogue” on the buying group’s proposal.

OmniTrax in May last year closed down the Hudson Bay Railway, an asset the government described Wednesday as “one of the foundational pieces of transportation infrastructure” in northern Manitoba.

In the wake of flooding that spring, OmniTrax said the track bed was washed away in 19 spots, five bridges were “visibly damaged” and another 30 bridges and 600 culverts would need to be further assessed. It later said repairs would cost as much as US$60 million and it wasn’t prepared to pay without government assistance.

The federal government has said its 2008 agreement with OmniTrax calls for federal financial support to the railway, for which OmniTrax in return was to maintain and operate rail service through to Churchill until 2029. OmniTrax, Carr said in October, “has not met its obligations.”

Denver-based OmniTrax had bought the government-owned port and Canadian National Railway’s (CN) rail line from The Pas to Churchill in 1997. Both were built in the 1930s to serve northern communities and provide an alternate shipping route into and out of Western and central Canada.

From a grain export perspective, railing grain out of certain areas of Saskatchewan and Manitoba up and out through Churchill instead of east to Thunder Bay is believed to shave up to three days off voyages to some ports in Western Europe.

But the port’s grain handle declined in the five years after the deregulation of its main customer, the Canadian Wheat Board. OmniTrax shut down the port facility and laid off its staff before the 2016 grain shipping season.

The port’s ice-limited shipping season, typically July through October, has been a benefactor of global warming in recent years, but warmer weather also makes the rail line, much of which is built on permafrost, less stable. — AGCanada.com Network

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
I got some pictures of Holland America's MS Noordam and Evergreen's Ever Summit transiting First Narrows from and to the Port of Vancouver just last week...

At Lowest Low Water the depth at the First Narrows is 22.9 meters.
[IMG]First Narrows by Donald Mitchell, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 13, 2020, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Yesterday the Port of Halifax received the largest container vessel EVER to call a Canadian Port, AND the North American East Coast! We're proud to be the first to board and last to depart in welcoming the
CMA CGM BRAZIL. 366m x 51m x 15072 TEU
https://twitter.com/HalifaxPilots/st...03265955115015

Old Posted Sep 13, 2020, 3:18 PM

Can't believe they demolished that building

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 12:33 PM

CMA CGM Marco Polo just arrived in Halifax. It is the largest container ship to ever call on North America’s east coast and any Canadian port.

Source: AeroVision Canada
https://twitter.com/AeroVisionUAV/st...92968846331904

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 12:51 PM

^ That is quite a sight!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 11:19 PM
Ham-burgher

Western piers of the Port of Hamilton:

Source

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada