HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 8:31 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

I really hope all 3 cities get to host, Western Canada needs some representation and Edmonton would be a passionate host.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 8:32 PM
ハルウララ

There's zero reason to believe that any Canadian or Mexican cities are cut from here on out. The proposed schedule takes into account all Canadian and Mexican cities proposed as of today. The US number of host cities still has to be cut down to 10 from the current 16.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I think people highly overrate the quality of some of the European stadiums at higher levels. Some of them are not great stadiums.
Amen, and underrate what we have.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
They are building 5 40,000 people stadiums, a 60,000, and an 85,000 person stadium. Most of Canada's venues would require their maxed out capacities with temporary seating. Most of us probably don't care, but FIFA would probably look down on that. Of course the biggest issue is we lack that massive signature venue to host the finals that can be plastered over all of the marketing material.
From what I recall, maybe it changed, but many of the Qatar stadiums had temporary upper decks that were to be dismantled and distributed in Africa.

FIFA doesn't care about temporary seats, that was an old myth. There's a wicked temporary stand in one of the Russian stadiums.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
BMO is obviously in Toronto, but it reflects a very Winnipeggy mentality when it comes to infrastructure... build the absolute rock bottom minimum you can get away with and then awkwardly add on more as required. So on that level I appreciate it.
I think the Winnipeggy mentality has been pretty damn good for sports structures lately.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
At that level of renovations for Olympic Stadium you're probably starting to wonder why you don't jut tear it down and start from scratch.
Because tearing it down is next to impossible without spending huge dollars and polls show most Montreal think it is an iconic part of the skyline.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 8:53 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Amen, and underrate what we have.
There is truth in that but it does not make BMO a *great* stadium for a city of Toronto's size and stature.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Watching soccer in Rogers Centre would be dreadful. Similar to watching soccer in any baseball-oriented stadium. It would look ridiculous to have the largest soccer tournament in the world hosted in a baseball stadium in our largest city.
It's not a baseball stadium, despite the work of the last few years to make it more baseball friendly, it is not a baseball stadium. Capacity would be too small for a final anyway.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 8:57 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There is truth in that but it does not make BMO a *great* stadium for a city of Toronto's size and stature.
Whether or not BMO is suitable for a city of Toronto's size doesn't reflect on its ability to host World Cup games, which it is capable of doing.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 8:58 PM

Quote:
But if they were looking for 40,000 capacity (as opposed to 50,000) they probably could make it work.
All the new/reno'ed CFL stadiums were meant to be expandable to 40k.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 9:03 PM

Quote:
It's not a baseball stadium, despite the work of the last few years to make it more baseball friendly, it is not a baseball stadium. Capacity would be too small for a final anyway.
To me, playing soccer in a baseball stadium conjures up images of a soccer field jammed awkwardly into Yankee Stadium or some such.

Soccer at Skydome would be far from that scenario. The field would fit nicely in there and it would feel like a soccer stadium with the stands wrapping neatly around the field. Skydome is perfectly capable of hosting soccer.

I get the "BMO is soccer's home" mindset but in terms of image and as something to show off to the rest of the world, Skydome absolutely dominates BMO. It looks far more polished and professional as compared to BMO.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Totally agree.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 9:05 PM

Quote:

Edmonton has the fewest hotel rooms by quite a margin. Assuming some of the smaller US cities are cut out (Baltimore, etc.) the gap will be even larger. Toronto is listed at 33K hotel rooms, Montreal 14K, and Edmonton 6K.
33K rooms for Toronto and 14K for Montreal only include the downtown area of both cities. There are an additional 10K-20K rooms for both cities across the metropolitan area. 6K for Edmonton appears to be for the entire metro area.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 9:06 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
"The Blue Jays have hired a design firm and at this point, “what we do have is themes that through focus groups and through research and through industry trends and analysis provided clear ideas of what we would be looking to achieve in a re-envisioning – and I call it a re-envisioning rather than a renovation – of the stadium.”

“No. 1,” Shapiro continued, “would be to turn the stadium into a ballpark. Very simply that would be a top priority for us, which means (providing) a modern ballpark experience for our fans. What I would hope is that by mid-summer we have those concepts fully flushed out, a potential set of loose designs, not plans but loose designs along with some costs so I can begin to have those conversations with ownership.”"

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/ml...ions-progress/

Quote:
I get the "BMO is soccer's home" mindset but in terms of image and as something to show off to the rest of the world, Skydome absolutely dominates BMO. It looks far more polished and professional as compared to BMO.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this point.

All of this talk is moot since Rogers was removed from the bidding process anyway.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 9:06 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

MLSE is already on record about expanding BMO to about 35,000 in around 2 years time, with a goal to expand it to 45,000 seats eventually. The 2026 WC will allow them to get to that size with classier architecture, a better waterfront LRT connection and removal of choke points at the CNE GO station. It should be a sexier venue than Skydome by that point, though not as iconic giver RC's central location.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 9:08 PM
Closed account

Quote:
No, but a great stadium in Toronto would likely be underused relative to its cost.

A once in a generation event hardly merits an investment of that magnitude, especially since there's already a venue of that nature that competes (Skydome).

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcaliburKid View Post
Very exciting news!

Anyone think Vancouver will try to crawl back into this after declaring they wanted no part of the initial bid? I would think should that happen, it would put a nail into Edmonton's chances

Would be great to see Canada qualify and perhaps Davies will get to play in his prime in his home town (Edmonton)
they better not, comments coming from BC'ers on an article I read are glad Vancouver is out of it, they don't want to give the corrupt FIFA organization a blank cheque. BC dodged a bullet here.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 9:16 PM

Quote:
We'll have to agree to disagree on this point.

All of this talk is moot since Rogers was removed from the bidding process anyway.
Yeah, fair enough, it's moot. But I am a bit surprised by how literally you are taking Mark Shapiro's comments.

What has fundamentally changed with Rogers Centre since Rogers set out to turn it into 'a ballpark'? They've added a few amenities common to MLB parks, a few upgrades, that sort of thing. But have there been any changes that would actually inhibit the playing of soccer?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 9:16 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
they better not, comments coming from BC'ers on an article I read are glad Vancouver is out of it, they don't want to give the corrupt FIFA organization a blank cheque. BC dodged a bullet here.
I sort of understand their logic. Vancouver already received a nice stadium and infrastructure upgrade from the Olympics, a WC wouldn't add much except a nice party.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Yeah, fair enough, it's moot. But I am a bit surprised by how literally you are taking Mark Shapiro's comments.

What has fundamentally changed with Rogers Centre since Rogers set out to turn it into 'a ballpark'? They've added a few amenities common to MLB parks, a few upgrades, that sort of thing. But have there been any changes that would actually inhibit the playing of soccer?
Not yet, but that will hopefully change by 2026.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada