HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 5:42 PM

Riverwalk Development

The Riverwalk expansion finally seems to be back on again after months of virtually no activity. I was shocked to see this much progress since there was pretty much nothing said about it in the media here. (not too surprising...)

This part of the project is particularly important because it crosses the Cypress Creek inlet and connects the rest of the Riverwalk to the East bank of the river where it will eventually connect to the Montgomery Marina near North Blvd.

...Years ago this area of land had lots of development proposals.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander1 View Post
The Riverwalk expansion finally seems to be back on again after months of virtually no activity. I was shocked to see this much progress since there was pretty much nothing said about it in the media here. (not too surprising...)

This part of the project is particularly important because it crosses the Cypress Creek inlet and connects the rest of the Riverwalk to the East bank of the river where it will eventually connect to the Montgomery Marina near North Blvd.

...Years ago this area of land had lots of development proposals.
About time. I hope they get started on the section west to Maxwell this year.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 8:16 PM

Much of the Air Force personnel working and living there are looking forward to it too. In fact I think Maxwell AFB and the city were going work together to get funding to start work on that portion last year; including the possibility of a pedestrian bridge alongside the Maxwell Blvd. bridge over I-65.

...don't quite know what happened with that.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 9:04 PM

Beer bar and whiskey room to open in downtown's Alley

Quote:
Two new bars are on the way to downtown Montgomery’s Alley development.

Commerce Beerworks is setting up inside a converted parking garage at the heart of the Alley, next to Escapology. It doesn’t have an opening date yet, but the cavernous, brick-lined space will feature 75 beers on tap. There’s a stage for live music.

Meanwhile, a small space next door is being turned into a whiskey bar. It’s called Hiram, which was the birth name of Montgomery music legend Hank Williams, and it’s lined with photos and other Hank memorabilia. It will host private events later this month ahead of a June 1 public soft opening.
Full story from the Montgomery Advertiser.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 4:50 PM

Residential Development Update:

This is the historic Bell Building. It is undergoing a $25M renovation to convert it into 88 luxury loft apartments along with retail and restaurants. Here is some of the progress so far...

You can see the new window replacement going from the top down.

...the area for future retail and restaurant space on the ground floor.

This is the old Jefferson Davis Hotel. It is also currently going through a major renovation of its residential units. It was used for elderly residents years ago but I'm not sure what the particular plans are for it now...more on this later.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander1 View Post
This is the historic Bell Building. It is undergoing a $25M renovation to convert it into 88 luxury loft apartments along with retail and restaurants. Here is some of the progress so far...

You can see the new window replacement going from the top down.

...the area for future retail and restaurant space on the ground floor.

This is the old Jefferson Davis Hotel. It is also currently going through a major renovation of its residential units. It was used for elderly residents years ago but I'm not sure what the particular plans are for it now...more on this later.

I love these tall old buildings with great outside architecture.
All they need is a total redevelopment with the outdated insides.

BTW, are there any design specs on the riverwalkway that someone mentioned is now continuing on its construction? I wanted to see what the planned design was looking like.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terlingo View Post
I love these tall old buildings with great outside architecture.
All they need is a total redevelopment with the outdated insides.

BTW, are there any design specs on the riverwalkway that someone mentioned is now continuing on its construction? I wanted to see what the planned design was looking like.
I haven't seen any, except for an old drawing that was created back when Bobby Bright was mayor.

Its hard to get any updated information from the planning department under the city's current administration...

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 5:29 AM

Finally a news report on the Riverwalk expansion from WAKA 8...

Riverfront Greenway Trail Expected to Open this Summer

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 8:36 PM

I sure wish Montgomery had more highrise/skyscrapers. The RSA Tower looks lonely! I wonder, what would our skyline would look like? Has anyone out there seen any digital 3D models of the city that show this?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 8:43 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMayn334 View Post
I sure wish Montgomery had more highrise/skyscrapers. The RSA Tower looks lonely! I wonder, what would our skyline would look like? Has anyone out there seen any digital 3D models of the city that show this?
Montgomery has a height limit. Building's can't be taller than the Capitol. The RSA can get away with their heights because they're a state government organization.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 9:34 PM

Really? Multiple buildings downtown are taller than the capital that aren't government buildings. Still, restrictions/ ordinances change. A skyline with a few more highrise buildings something I'd like to see. Probably won't happen though. Thanks for the info.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 10:25 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Really? Multiple buildings downtown are taller than the capital that aren't government buildings. Still, restrictions/ ordinances change. A skyline with a few more highrise buildings something I'd like to see. Probably won't happen though. Thanks for the info.
A Montgomery forumer that is more knowledgeable might know for sure, but the height restrictions may have been passed after those buildings were already constructed. Maybe the city or state saw all the buildings going up and decided that they wanted to put a stop to it before too much of the view was obstructed.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 2:29 PM

Quote:
I don't know for sure if there is a written definitive height restriction but I heard the former Development Director Chad Emerson (now at Huntsville) and the assistant guy, don't remember his name, years ago verbally say there was one when they were doing public charettes to create the downtown masterplan. Their idea was lots of 5 or 6 story max mix use buildings rather than skysrappers. They said the issue of the RSA tower is the sucked up a lot of office space that could be in other buildings. That will change in the future but I do see older buildings still out for lease or sale for office space. So the demand must not be there to go tall yet.

Yes the current tall buildings must have been approved before any restriction was in place if there really was one. It seems like that may only be reserved for Dexter Avenue so when you look up the hill from the fountain then the capital will always be the focus. I maybe wrong but seems like it's something I've heard.

Yes there needs to be more high rise residential buildings.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 2:33 PM

Did anyone go to the July 24 Tuesday night Envision 2040?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 9:14 PM

Foshee is offering tours of the renovation of the Bell Lofts on Monday Oct. 22 from 5-7.

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...ay/1659393002/

Also gourmet burger shop, BurgerIM is about to open at the Commerce Street lofts next to the Strayer University office.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 4:05 PM

New Montgomery Aldi coming soon
It'll be built next to Best Buy on Eastern Blvd.

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...ry/2202602002/

Prattville Aldi opened ThursdayDec 6

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 3:32 PM

New luxury apartments and retail coming to Old Cloverdale business district.

Midtown Row under construction next to the 48 Midtown apartments.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 8:50 PM

New coffee shop coming to historic Centennial Hill neighborhood offering tours of the city's historic places and a gift shop.

"With an opening date set for March 1, beyond the souvenirs, Smedley plans to play documentaries so visitors can learn as they shop. She has also paired with local tour guide, Michelle Browder, to ensure visitors the opportunity to see several of the city’s historical sites."

Maybe the start of rebirth for the neighborhood.

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...ma/2638755002/

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 5:45 PM

Hotel update

The Staybridge Suites at the former skatepark is nearly complete. It's been behind schedule by a few months.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 8:09 PM

More lofts downtown

Demolition started more than a year ago on a three-story stretch of buildings from 100 to 116 Dexter Ave., near the corner of Dexter and South Perry Street.

Plans call for 18 apartments with a central courtyard, a fitness area and more amenities. Two spaces on the bottom floor are being reserved for retail.

Arguelles said most of the apartments would be one-bedroom units. A few will have “duplexy” floor plans that separate the living and bedroom areas over two floors because of the layout of the buildings.

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...es/1865795001/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast