HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 7:38 PM

Car Share

I couldn't see any recent threads that were the right place to post this news, and it seemed important enough to create a new thread.

Car2Go/Share Now closing down in North America.

"It’s with a heavy heart that we must share that our last day of SHARE NOW service in North America will be 2/29/20. We are grateful to everyone who has supported us over the years and we regret the inconvenience caused when service ends."

Presumably Modo, Evo and Zipcar will have an opportunity to pick up the slack; other cities will face greater impacts.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 7:47 PM

That's an unfortunate loss for Vancouver, not only for mobility choice but also a regional office (Car2Go North America was headquartered here).

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 8:11 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Evo is probably breathing a sign of relief today, they were struggling and their were rumours they might pull the plug, this news will certainly help their bottom line.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Evo is probably breathing a sign of relief today, they were struggling and their were rumours they might pull the plug, this news will certainly help their bottom line.
I'm not surprised, given the amount of Evo accidents I've personally witnessed. I'd love to see the ICBC accident claims against them.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 8:39 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Presumably Modo, Evo and Zipcar will have an opportunity to pick up the slack; other cities will face greater impacts.
I recently had a flawless rental using Enterprise CarShare here in Toronto. AFAIK TO and Vancouver are the only available markets for the service right now.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 9:06 PM

Wow, I'm pretty shocked. All this time it looked like car share ownership was what most of the major manufacturers were getting into, in order to preserve their brands in some sort of future "mobility as a service" world.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I recently had a flawless rental using Enterprise CarShare here in Toronto. AFAIK TO and Vancouver are the only available markets for the service right now.
It's not available in Vancouver. Toronto, Mississauga, Oshawa and Waterloo so far.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Wow, I'm pretty shocked. All this time it looked like car share ownership was what most of the major manufacturers were getting into, in order to preserve their brands in some sort of future "mobility as a service" world.
Looks like it was just another "fad of the month".

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 9:25 PM

Quote:
I dont think the money is there. Uber lost millions when it tried to roll out a carshare ride hailing program.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Looks like it was just another "fad of the month".
Car2go has been around a lot longer than that. I'm sure certain markets (like Vancouver) were better than others.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairnstone View Post
I dont think the money is there. Uber lost millions when it tried to roll out a carshare ride hailing program.
The money isn't there for Uber yet either, they lose Billions a year.

Autonomous cars will change all that, eventually.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 10:48 PM

I was surprised when I saw the email

I've always thought that car2go and drivenow did pretty well in markets like Vancouver and Seattle

However, I wasn't surprised when drivenow pulled out of the New York market a few years back prior to the merger to become sharenow given how little care people took of the vehicles; I'd imagine their repair costs were quite high for such a market

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Car2go has been around a lot longer than that. I'm sure certain markets (like Vancouver) were better than others.
Meh, maybe Vancouver just did well because there was no Uber etc. If jlousa is right and Evo is also marginal it might just be the economics of car share doesn't work.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 11:45 PM

Love it how when Car2Go was some kind of partnership with municipalities but ride sharing it's always some negative spin on them having to change parking signs:

https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/12...lings-arrival/

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 11:53 PM

Interesting to note that Car2go is pulling out of all of North America, and apparently, are even shrinking in Europe; they only intend on servicing 18 cities in Europe, dropping London, Florence, and Brussels.

I would imagine that since Car2go relied very heavily on the Smart cars, and since Smart pulled out of North America, they were struggling to find a suitable replacement vehicle from their Daimler parent company.

The other car share companies don't seem to have this problem; Evo relies on Toyota Prius C's, and Modo and Zip use a variety of vehicle brands in their fleets.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 11:59 PM

Damn. I think Vancouver was one of the few profitable markets in NA, so maybe someone will take over those vehicles and software. The Car2Go app works better than Evo.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 12:06 AM

im surprised about this. they seemed to be the biggest in Vancouver. will be interesting who, if anyone, will fill the void.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 12:16 AM

I can see a scenario where another company like Lime would take on the profitable markets in NA. I know Lime doesn't do cars, but it would be an easy transition.

Also, if Vancouver is profitable (which I think it is), it would be easy for Evo to get investors so they can expand.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 2:07 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Given Evo was not to far from making a similar announcement I don't profitablity was there at all. Now that they have the market pretty well to themselves I expect their prices will rise to the point where they can at least keep operating.
Hopefully city council doesn't get the bright idea to start their own lol.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 2:33 AM

I guess they need to figure out their pricing compared to Uber/Lyft.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure