HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Feb 12, 2007, 6:33 AM

Agree with Brandon, California Pizza Kitchen is a coup for that area. Their restaurants always pack 'em in and their food is really good IMO. I was a regular visitor at the Arden Fair CPK when I lived near Cal Expo and also to the one near my place on Van Ness blvd in SF when I lived in the city. While Sacramento is a played out chain town, there's still chain restaurants that people looked forward to opening in town before they came. E.g McCormick & Schmick's, Ruth Chris Steak house, and even Cheesecake Factory and PF Changs. As long as it's not Sizzler, IHOP, Lyon, Denny's types and fast food types (except maybe In 'n Out burgers), it's a little palatable. It would be good though if downtown and midtown continues to open up more independent type restaurants and leave the chains to the 'burbs.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2007, 11:47 PM

Twisted 88's at 16th and J is no more, in comes another "Miami Beach-inspired Decor Restaurant and Lounge "

Didn't Cabanna at 12th and K JUST open with the same motif?

________

http://www.myspace.com/azukardowntown
Located on 1616 J Street ..

Azukar Cocina & Bar will be Sacramento's Newest Miami Beach-inspired Decor Restaurant and Lounge with over 12,000 square feet on two levels featuring 10 Bars, Ultra Lounge, Open Air Lobby Bar, Restaurant and Dance Floor
with a capacity of over 1,000 guests.

Serving High End Mexican Cuisine in Sacramento's finest Location. Mikuni's, PF Chang's, Bistro 33 and Lucca's all in walking distance!! Azukar's ultra-chic design concept couples LED lighting with cutting edge décor. Jet-setters and Hollywood’s A-list flock to this modern space featuring Zen glass fixtures, natural hide sofas, dramatic columns, and a dramatic water wall.

Add us for updates, VIP Specials and most importantly :
OUR GRAND OPENING : Early Spring 2007 ..

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 12:18 AM
my posse's on broadway

seems like cuban food would've been a more logical and intriguing choice of cuisine. :/

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 2:37 AM

^that's what my wife just said. There's hardly any Mexican influence in Miami, of course it's all Cuban. Plus there's tons of Mexican places already. They should really think about this.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 2:43 AM

And this quote really made me laugh my ass off: "Jet-setters and Hollywood’s A-list flock to this modern space"
what a joke.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 4:22 AM

Wow, so Twisted 88 is really closing. Is that a Sacramento record for the quickest a club has opened and closed without being shut down by the police? Didn't they just open up in late Dec?

And the new place certainly should be bold enough to try a cuban/carribean/spanish themed cuisine. Geez, I miss Cha Cha Cha restaurant in San Francisco with their awesome sangrias served to boot.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 9:22 PM
my posse's on broadway

Weak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormick & Schmick’s Seafood Restaurant
Thank you for your interest in McCormick & Schmick's Pre-Opening Event on Thursday, February 15th. Unfortunately, we are at capacity and are no longer accepting RSVPs. Please feel free to come to the restaurant once it opens to the public at 4:00 p.m. on Monday, February 19th. Once again, we apologize for being unable to accommodate you at this time. Thanks!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 10:27 PM
Got Good Grub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDistrict View Post
Weak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by McCormick & Schmick’s Seafood Restaurant
Thank you for your interest in McCormick & Schmick's Pre-Opening Event on Thursday, February 15th. Unfortunately, we are at capacity and are no longer accepting RSVPs. Please feel free to come to the restaurant once it opens to the public at 4:00 p.m. on Monday, February 19th. Once again, we apologize for being unable to accommodate you at this time. Thanks!
The flyer I have says the event is the 17th. I guess there are two different ones going on? I'm dropping off a flyer to Brandon today so I'll double check but I'm 99% sure the event I know of is the 17th.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 6:03 AM

^ got it Grimnebulin, thanks for swinging by.

The flyer does say it's for the 17th.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 7:30 PM

From today's Bee:

Feeling crabby: We don't usually write about media events -- gatherings staged for no other purpose than to capture TV or newspaper attention.

But we're making an exception for the festivities planned in advance of Thursday's VIP party celebrating the upcoming opening on Monday of the McCormick & Schmick's seafood eatery in the Elks Building at 11th and J streets.

Early Thursday morning, a "giant crab" will make an appearance on the Capitol's east lawn. How big a crab? "Really big," says Jana Sanders Perry of Merlot Marketing. She won't provide more details.

Sometime later in the day, a big salmon -- a real one, unlike the crustacean -- will arrive at the restaurant via limo, be "tossed" from one exec to another, then perhaps cooked and eaten following a ceremonial cutting of ... a fishing net.

"We don't do the traditional, stale ribbon cutting," says Perry, who also promises a Sacramento River Cats connection to the festivities.

Definitely a media event. But maybe a rarity among such happenings: one worth covering.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 7:50 PM
my posse's on broadway

too bad they didn't bother to save enough room for the people they invited.

turds!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 3:56 AM
Got Good Grub?

I just found out I get to go to both M&S events.

Someone got me a reservation for the Thursday event too without me knowing. Confirmed too.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 4:16 PM
Kodachrome

There is a giant blow-up crab on the north side of the Capitol today that
probably measures 20x20 feet. There's also lots of media and talking heads
promoting the McCormick & Schmick's restaurant.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 5:53 PM
my posse's on broadway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimnebulin View Post
I just found out I get to go to both M&S events.

Someone got me a reservation for the Thursday event too without me knowing. Confirmed too.

whatever... i hope you get crabs.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 9:45 PM

Chomp Chomp

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 9:55 PM
Got Good Grub?

Quote:
whatever... i hope you get crabs.
Me too!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 11:10 PM
my posse's on broadway

Hot spot: Speaking of the Elks Building, Steve Ayers reports the historic tower is nearly leased up. It was half empty when he and several partners bought the place three and a half years ago.

They've fixed it up and recruited what he calls "the right mix of tenants" -- mostly associations and lobbyists that do business at the Capitol along with McCormick & Schmick's.

With the likely signing this week of "a large statewide association" to occupy the third floor, 93 percent of the building's 118,000 square feet will be occupied, he says.

That doesn't count the basement, where there's a swimming pool -- a remnant of the building's days as an Elks hangout. We hear there's a proposal to put water in the pool, cover it with a translucent dance floor and turn the space into a club.

Ayers isn't commenting on that. But he does say he's had more serious talks with folks interested in opening a wine bar there, with sales, tastings and storage.

Aren't we saturated with those, with 58 Degrees and The Grand already open downtown and The L Urban Wine Lounge opening soon? Not yet, Ayers says.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon12 View Post
I know I'll get shot down in this forum for saying so, but I think CPK is a coup of sorts. Those places really pack them in and might attract young families to come downtown for dinner that haven't yet.
I agree. I like that these big names are coming to DT! They can't all be one-off, locally owned restaurants. CPK will bring people in.

I love all these restaurants opening up, but I'd really like to see some new retail (not just the big-sticker boutiques sprinkled along J & K)

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugit View Post
Twisted 88's at 16th and J is no more, in comes another "Miami Beach-inspired Decor Restaurant and Lounge "

Didn't Cabanna at 12th and K JUST open with the same motif?

Notice that the flyers say "Twisted88s presents Azukar". I'm guessing it's the same owners, but a different theme.

I remember the night I first learned of Twisted88s. I was standing outside of some salon/art gallery/fashion show on a particular Second Saturday night and some dude comes through the crowd handing out "free pizza" cards. I never went and haven't thought of the place until I read the above post. The thought of "dualing pianos" doesn't excite me much. That being said, I probably won't be going to Azukar either. It's my opinion that all theme nights/clubs are pretty lame.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Hot spot: Speaking of the Elks Ayers isn't commenting on that. But he does say he's had more serious talks with folks interested in opening a wine bar there, with sales, tastings and storage.

Aren't we saturated with those, with 58 Degrees and The Grand already open downtown and The L Urban Wine Lounge opening soon? Not yet, Ayers says.
Saturated? In a metro size like Sacramento's? Bob Shallit... puhleeeeze. Oh so Sacramento like thinking. Not even 15 to 20 wine bars or lounges around town would constitute saturation IMO.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area