HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 6:50 PM
Closed account

The Rocky View County Council has begun trying to have a "non-vehicular, multi-use regional pathway" built along Highway 8

Quote:
Rocky View County Council recently supported the development of a regional pathway within the Highway 8 right-of-way as the proposed twinning project proceeds. Council agreed to submit a letter to the Minister of Transportation, Ray Danyluk, requesting that a future non-vehicular, multi-use regional pathway be permitted and any additional land required for the pathway be acquired during the Highway 8 twinning land acquisition process.
From a county newsletter

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 12:27 AM
Construction Enthusiast

Hwy 540 between Hwy 2 and Hwy 22 (by Bar U Ranch) is now completely paved.

It seems that a new interchange is being built just north of High River on Hwy 2.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
It seems that a new interchange is being built just north of High River on Hwy 2.
Only a few years behind schedule. Originally the highway 543 interchange was supposed to be built in 2010 when 543 was extended from highway 2a to highway 2 (which still hasn't been completed to my knowledge but probably is part of the interchange project)

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 8:15 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
The Rocky View County Council has begun trying to have a "non-vehicular, multi-use regional pathway" built along Highway 8
As bicycles are considered "vehicles" (it's why they're on the streets), I have a hard time thinking how this could be "multi-use". Horses and pedestrians?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 8:53 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
As bicycles are considered "vehicles" (it's why they're on the streets), I have a hard time thinking how this could be "multi-use". Horses and pedestrians?
Yea, I think they meant 'non-motorised'. I can't imagine anyone but cyclists using it.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Only a few years behind schedule. Originally the highway 543 interchange was supposed to be built in 2010 when 543 was extended from highway 2a to highway 2 (which still hasn't been completed to my knowledge but probably is part of the interchange project)
I'm not sure that's what he's talking about. When I went through there about 3 weeks ago, it did not appear that any interchange construction was about to begin. Rather, I would say they are just adjusting the at-grade intersection. The orange sign that said the road to the west was closed did not refer to it as Hwy 543 but xxx Ave and that access to High River was at the next 2 exits. The road was under construction.

I returned north on 2A out of High River. The intersection upgrade at 543 is nearly completed. The could-be extension of 543 eastward is closed and under construction.

The old east-west road between these two intersections did not cross the Highwood River. I could not tell (although I wasn't specifically looking for it) whether a new bridge is under construction or not.

None of the above are mentioned on Alberta Transportation's 3 year construction plan (2011-2014) for Hwys 2, 2A or 543 except >>>>

2A High River, High Country Drive, Intersection
Improvement

I think High Country Drive is 543.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 9:14 PM

Here is a western wheel article

http://www.westernwheel.com/article/...on-open-friday

Highway from 2A, across a new bridge over the river, then close to the 2. Interchange being constructed.

SSP y u no let me have image here

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 9:36 PM

I guess that shows how accurate their 3 year plan is

All that was at the intersection 3 weeks ago was New Jersey Barriers blocking access to the west and across the median along with a couple of pieces of equipment in the median crossing (figured they were just there to make some left turn lanes )

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 9:36 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookermorgan View Post
Here is a western wheel article

http://www.westernwheel.com/article/...on-open-friday

Highway from 2A, across a new bridge over the river, then close to the 2. Interchange being constructed.
Yup, looking at google maps, the interchange is being built right in line with HWY 543, so what I saw would be it. A whole bunch of piles are already driven into the ground, and the grade has been filled up to where the abutments get built on them. It hadn't been that long since the last time I'd driven through, and I didn't any anything until yesterday.

Definitely a HWY 543 interchange with HWY 2.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2011, 9:08 PM

Looks like if the weather continues to cooperate they might have Highway 1A done this fall afterall. They've got at least the base asphalt done the entire length, and a few of the new service roads area also open. Sounds like the 50 zone at the top of the hill in Cochrane though might be staying around even after its open, as they aren't putting in traffic lights yet from what I heard.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 1:53 AM

Lights at Gleaneagles Drive?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
Lights at Gleaneagles Drive?
From what I've heard they are on the long term plans but won't be included yet. Though this might be wrong.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 3:27 PM

Couple changes happening to area highways again. AB Transportation decided to drop all the work they were going to do to Highway 1A through Cochrane the week before the election was called, which seems to have peeved the mayor of Cochrane quite a bit. So no twinning of the highway through town and up the hill, no new bridge over the CPR mainline on Hwy 22. They will be opening the newly twinned section of 1A between Gleneagles and the existing twinned highway probably late this summer at least.

And heres a shot of the new interchange being constructed at Hwy 543 and Hwy 2 just north of High River:

Highway 2 @ 543 interchange by Jason R. Reid, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 3:59 PM

Final paving of the twinned 1A from Cochrane to the existing twinned section begins next week, with a target of July 1 opening from what I'm hearing.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Final paving of the twinned 1A from Cochrane to the existing twinned section begins next week, with a target of July 1 opening from what I'm hearing.
This was opened this past week (drove it on the weekend). However, the twinned section has a speed limit of 80 km/h! Is this temporary or have they decided on a lower limit?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmjr View Post
This was opened this past week (drove it on the weekend). However, the twinned section has a speed limit of 80 km/h! Is this temporary or have they decided on a lower limit?
I'd hope its temporary while they are doing the finishing construction work. Did they have the lights in at Gleneagles yet?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 5:18 AM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
I'd hope its temporary while they are doing the finishing construction work. Did they have the lights in at Gleneagles yet?
It seems like there is a habit of temporarily posting a speed limit 20kmh lower than what will be the final speed limit on newly opened roads. Metis Trail still has a posted 60 limit for what will eventually be an 80 kmh road.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Drove it on Saturday as well. No lights at Gleneagles yet.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
It seems like there is a habit of temporarily posting a speed limit 20kmh lower than what will be the final speed limit on newly opened roads. Metis Trail still has a posted 60 limit for what will eventually be an 80 kmh road.
First post - please be gentle

Metis Trail is a joke. It's supposed to take over for Barlow, yet it is still 1 lane each way for the first part, then only 60km/h to Country Hills (travelling North). I remember reading that they are not going to fully twin it until a resident out that way dies. This guy has been annoying City Hall for a number of years. He believes that there is a huge stockpile of Gold under City Hall.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 8:08 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc72 View Post
First post - please be gentle

Metis Trail is a joke. It's supposed to take over for Barlow, yet it is still 1 lane each way for the first part, then only 60km/h to Country Hills (travelling North). I remember reading that they are not going to fully twin it until a resident out that way dies. This guy has been annoying City Hall for a number of years. He believes that there is a huge stockpile of Gold under City Hall.
Well, they don't necessarily have to wait until he dies, but expropriation is a hassle. The speed limit will be raised in a bit for the whole stretch.

I think the city would like to expropriate all the land they need in one shot, and I think that they have been in the process of figuring out exactly how much and what land they require. The 96th ave functional plan that is going to council this month or next has that requirement. Land is required for Metis, 96th Ave and 60th Street from that one parcel of land.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure