HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 8:07 PM
~Hook'em~

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Hold on, gentlemen. Several of these buildings are mixed-use towers. Is there a listing of single-use (hotel) towers?
Are they? I wasn't sure and didn't take the time to look. I just looked for Trump's Chicago Hotel and not seeing it assumed they were only listing just Hotels.

Edit: from the wiki page:

Quote:
This is a list of the 100 tallest buildings in the world whose occupied height is devoted at least 90% to hotel use.[1]
So not all pure hotel, but mostly hotels. It is probably still a fairly good list to go by. The best I saw with a very very quick google search.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 8:18 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
Depending on the height of the spire, it could be the 4th tallest in the U.S.
I assume you're talking about 4th tallest hotel in the US? I'm thinking there's a chance it'll at least be the 2nd or 3rd, and there's even a good chance it could be the tallest hotel in the US. I'm thinking it'll be around 600 to the roof and probably 725 to 750 to the spire. If it's 725 that would make it the 2nd tallest, putting it between Atlanta's Westin Peachtree and Detroit's Renaissance Center. But if it's a foot over 727 feet it'll be the tallest hotel in North America. So then the only taller hotels would be ones in Asia and the Middle East.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 10:02 PM

The title of "Tallest Hotel in the Western Hemisphere" is also a nice title... Just saying...

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 2:49 AM
Meh

The Downtown Austin Commission approved this today. Basically it's an endorsement of the project.

They interviewed Gensler and got some more information about it. They said the building will function as two hotels and will have a skywalk connecting the building to the Austin Convention Center across the street.

And they just barely showed some more renderings of it. They said they wanted the building to be an architectural landmark in Austin. They said construction is supposed to start next year.

I still haven't gotten an email back, yet, about the building heights. I'll try for these guys tomorrow:

http://www.gensler.com/#aboutus/offices/32

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 3:08 AM

Maybe Gensler will need some local architects for input on this project..isn't tovo's husband an architect...Wouldn't it be ironic if Gensler retained tovo's husband for a ton of $$$$$. The conflict of interest in that household would make me want to be a fly on the wall..

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 4:45 AM
Meh

Screen shots from the Fox7 News cast.

This would be the view from the southwest. The podium levels at the base which would contain convention/meeting space face Cesar Chavez with the tower portion being on the north side of the block. From this image, it looks like they're planning green roofs for the whole building, even the very top of the tower.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 4:41 PM
Austinite

Is it just me, or does the building look wider in the 2nd pic than the 1st? Also, the main tower section does bare a resemblance to the Ritz-Carlton convention hotel in Los Angeles. Which is not surprising, given it was also designed by Gensler.

http://www.gensler.com/#projects/73

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Screen shots from the Fox7 News cast.

This would be the view from the southwest. The podium levels at the base which would contain convention/meeting space face Cesar Chavez with the tower portion being on the north side of the block. From this image, it looks like they're planning green roofs for the whole building, even the very top of the tower.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 5:29 PM
Meh

I noticed that, too. I assumed it was just the rendering. But the most recent Statesman article you posted also says it will have 1,100 rooms, that's up from the 1,035 they originally mentioned.

Anyway, I've emailed Gensler. I'll try and get all the details. They're also designing the Block 51 office building, so I'll try to get that height, too.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I noticed that, too. I assumed it was just the rendering. But the most recent Statesman article you posted also says it will have 1,100 rooms, that's up from the 1,035 they originally mentioned.

Anyway, I've emailed Gensler. I'll try and get all the details. They're also designing the Block 51 office building, so I'll try to get that height, too.
I also think these are more about "massing". I would assume they will not invest in the "real" design or details until they feel certain this will go forward.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 6:38 PM

Austins Second 5 star hotel. What type of hotel does that sound like.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 7:39 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

hmm, I really hope that the first rendering we saw will be the actual design. It looks sleek and thin overall compared to the new renderings, Im all about adding more rooms but please don't make it bulky. Also I know that these new pics are likely not the final design but I just counted the floors in the new pic and it is not 51 floors. They better not shorten the height on this thing. thats probably why it looks so bulky.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2011, 10:25 PM

Don't know if anyone saw this article in today's statesman online...

http://letters.statesman.com/198c86c...msoi5tyqyaaaaa

"Developer of 2nd proposed convention hotel: ‘We’re doing it’
By Shonda Novak | Thursday, July 21, 2011, 09:31 AM

The San Diego developer planning to build a $350 million convention high-rise hotel at Cesar Chavez and Red River downtown said his company will build the project even if a competing downtown convention hotel planned by White Lodging Services Corp. moves forward simultaneously. "

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 1:38 AM
CIA since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
Maybe Gensler will need some local architects for input on this project..isn't tovo's husband an architect...Wouldn't it be ironic if Gensler retained tovo's husband for a ton of $$$$$. The conflict of interest in that household would make me want to be a fly on the wall..
Gensler has an Austin office that is working on the hotel project. Their office is in the W.

Last edited by SecretAgentMan; Jul 22, 2011 at 12:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRockstead View Post
Don't know if anyone saw this article in today's statesman online...

http://letters.statesman.com/198c86c...msoi5tyqyaaaaa

"Developer of 2nd proposed convention hotel: ‘We’re doing it’
By Shonda Novak | Thursday, July 21, 2011, 09:31 AM

The San Diego developer planning to build a $350 million convention high-rise hotel at Cesar Chavez and Red River downtown said his company will build the project even if a competing downtown convention hotel planned by White Lodging Services Corp. moves forward simultaneously. "
That is something. I wish I knew about cities that have gone through something comparable to what Austin is going through now. Is this part of the biggest hotel expansion period Austin will ever see or will this be the first of many phases of varying magnitudes? And how does it correlate with office and residential building? After the current boom will areas surrounding downtown be under pressure to rezone? How much will spread south across the river?

I'm from the D.C area and the growth there happened for different reasons in much different ways. You can't even build high rises downtown b/c no building can be higher than 110 feet or 20 feet taller than the adjacent street is wide.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 3:10 AM

I really, really hope the building sports the blue-ish hue depicted in the rendering. The rendering seems to show lots and lots of glass, but it's difficult to tell what's holding that glass in. I will be pissed if this potentially great building turns out to be dominantly brown or beige. Just as I will be pissed if they skimp on the design of cap of the building - that should be as grand as can be.

This design... i'm ambivalent. Sure, the drama of the rendering's perspective had me at hello. As did the alignment with Waller Creek. As did its height.

But, I'm not completely sold on the design. From the few images we have, something about the design just doesn't seem timeless. Maybe it's the slightly trapezoidal floorplate. Maybe it's the slab between each floor, louvered, ribbed, and non-functional... similar to futuristic designs from the '50s. It's got a slightly retro-Jetson's thing going on.

I'm definitely optimistic, but I'm eager to see more renderings and models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post

Last edited by Downtown_Austin; Jul 22, 2011 at 3:29 AM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 3:20 AM
~Hook'em~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown_Austin View Post
It's got a slightly retro-Jetson's thing going on.
Nailed it.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 6:19 AM

I'm hoping this and White Lodging along with the Airport expansion will spur the need for more office highrise construction. All the pieces are coming together for outside businesses to move to Austin who need 4 and 5 star accomodations for their clients and a big enough airport to get them here directly.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown_Austin View Post
I really, really hope the building sports the blue-ish hue depicted in the rendering. The rendering seems to show lots and lots of glass, but it's difficult to tell what's holding that glass in. I will be pissed if this potentially great building turns out to be dominantly brown or beige. Just as I will be pissed if they skimp on the design of cap of the building - that should be as grand as can be.

This design... i'm ambivalent. Sure, the drama of the rendering's perspective had me at hello. As did the alignment with Waller Creek. As did its height.

But, I'm not completely sold on the design. From the few images we have, something about the design just doesn't seem timeless. Maybe it's the slightly trapezoidal floorplate. Maybe it's the slab between each floor, louvered, ribbed, and non-functional... similar to futuristic designs from the '50s. It's got a slightly retro-Jetson's thing going on.

I'm definitely optimistic, but I'm eager to see more renderings and models.
I have always assumed this was a very prelim/fundraising rendering. Designed to excite but not necessarily inform. The Blue....most likely a silver with the blue from the sky reflected in it. Natures dramatic lighting! LOL! The next massing images we have seen have already lost the angle in the middle of the building. As you well know, odd angles and curves=$.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 7:35 PM
Meh

This article says the hotel will be 45 to 50 floors. This article mentions it'll have 1,100 rooms and have at least 950,000 square feet.

http://www.statesman.com/business/re...inglePage=true
Quote:
Austin's second convention hotel is a go, developer says

By Shonda Novak

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Updated: 11:19 p.m. Thursday, July 21, 2011
Published: 9:13 p.m. Thursday, July 21, 2011

The architect for Manchester Texas Financial Group's proposed 45- to 50-story hotel said the project has attracted serious interest from four potential operators: Hilton, Hyatt and Starwood , plus a fourth undisclosed operator.

"We're doing it," Douglas Manchester, founder and chairman of San Diego-based Manchester Financial Group, said after a city commission unanimously endorsed the 1,100-room hotel that his firm plans to build on land just east of the Convention Center along Waller Creek. "We're not here to paint."

Manchester executives said construction on the project could start in a year and take 25 to 30 months. It would have two hotels, with a single operator, under one roof — one of them a four-star hotel of about 30 stories, and above that a smaller, luxury hotel .

The project wouldn't require a zoning change. However, Manchester Texas will ask the city for 300,000 more square feet of building area than the 650,000 square feet currently allowed.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 7:51 PM
Resident Moron

This is a positively huge building. It's roughly 400K more SQ feet than Frost or the Austionian. A bit shy of double their square footage. Needless to say, in additon to being close to 600 to the roof and probably 750 to the spire it will by far be the largest highrise in Austin.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin