HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOIguy View Post
Surprised no one posted anything about the new Allegiant Air service to Honolulu which began yesterday..seemed that was a big deal for BOI when it was announced. Hope it does well!

http://www.ktvb.com/home/Airport-off...190610611.html

BOIguy
I think this has a little bit better chance than the last Hawaii service to Boise. I was at BOI a couple weeks ago and it is so quiet. Horizon used to have a nice little operation there. Not so much now.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 5:51 AM

Delta is adding LAX to Spokane service. Fingers crossed Boise is next...or Alaska brings back a non-stop (doubtful). I need a non-stop back that isn't United!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 3:01 PM
Dare Mighty Things

It seems wild to think that Boise has nonstop flights to Honolulu again. Everything I've heard indicates that Allegiant's Las Vegas flights have been a winner for them, and I really hope Hawaii does well enough to bump it up a few more times per week, maybe even daily in the long run.

Also, American and US Airways are merging. Huge, huge news in the airline industry. How will this affect Boise? Well, I think fares top to bottom are going to be quite a lot higher than they have been in the past. Make no mistake about it, the merger is a big loss for consumers. However, as American does not currently serve Boise, we may be less affected than other cities particularly those in the Eastern US. But I'm afraid that the higher fares may result in a continued dip in passenger numbers.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 3:04 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
Delta is adding LAX to Spokane service. Fingers crossed Boise is next...or Alaska brings back a non-stop (doubtful). I need a non-stop back that isn't United!
LOL, completely agreed. But then again look at Spokane... before the Delta announcement, they had ZERO nonstop service to Los Angeles, and only very minimal nonstop service to California in general.

It's a great shame American Eagle's nonstop Boise-LAX service didn't pan out. I think Spokane was attractive to Delta mainly because of the lack of nonstop competition.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post
LOL, completely agreed. But then again look at Spokane... before the Delta announcement, they had ZERO nonstop service to Los Angeles, and only very minimal nonstop service to California in general.

It's a great shame American Eagle's nonstop Boise-LAX service didn't pan out. I think Spokane was attractive to Delta mainly because of the lack of nonstop competition.
I would have avoided Eagle service anyways. You are shuttled to a very remote terminal at LAX. It is not very convenient...especially, if you are running late. Delta keeps all flights within Terminal 5.

As far as the merger. I doubt it will have much impact on Boise fares. I hope not at least. Since they will have an operation at Boise again perhaps they will add service to Dallas or move a Phoenix flight to Dallas.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
I would have avoided Eagle service anyways. You are shuttled to a very remote terminal at LAX. It is not very convenient...especially, if you are running late. Delta keeps all flights within Terminal 5.

As far as the merger. I doubt it will have much impact on Boise fares. I hope not at least. Since they will have an operation at Boise again perhaps they will add service to Dallas or move a Phoenix flight to Dallas.
I'm curious how the merger will affect the PHX hub... It's positioned right in the middle of American's LAX and DFW hubs. Can't imagine the merger will be good news for Phoenix.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 4:12 PM

When did DL announce it was going to fly GEG-LAX? And when does it start? There's nothing loaded onto DL's website, at least not through the end of May's flight schedules. I totally missed that. GEG has been practically begging airlines to initiate that service for years. The Airport was awarded an approximate $1,000,000 Federal Grant to use as an enticement and that was almost 1 1/2 years ago. I guess DL finally bit the bullet. But, I haven't seen it announced anywhere.

Also, BOI has UA to LAX because UA operates a true hub there, and also has a pretty significant presence @ BOI. So, with a strength at both ends of the route, plus all of the connecting options on UA or other Star Alliance partners, the service works, and that is with service which doesn't operate at optimal times for the Boise originating traveler (if flying on business, anyway). I'm not sure how well DL will do on GEG-LAX, as it still does not have the type of hub in place that UA does there, and the local demand is respectable but not through the roof with passengers. Also, it will depend upon what the schedule is, both for flight times and frequency, as to how well it will perform.

Time will tell, I suppose.

As for BOI, the AA service didn't work partially because it was up against too strong of a competitor in UA. That service was more established, connected to a true hub @ LAX, and UA has served BOI for decades so there are more loyal fliers to UA. I wouldn't put it past AS/QX to one day resurrect nonstop LAX service. Not sure if this is still the routing, but the BOI-SJC flight used to continue to LAX and return to SJC before heading back to BOI. That could be used to see how much traffic was flowing on the 1-stop same plane service and whether it warrants consideration of reintroducing nonstop BOI-LAX service.

With the AA/US merger, DFW service may finally happen next year sometime. AA was already interested in the route, but was awaiting 1 of 2 things to happen: an agreement with an operator to fly larger regional jets in the 76-seat category with 2-class cabins and/or the arrival of the A319s. Well, both are coming this year, so perhaps 2014 will see the addition of BOI-DFW.

Lastly, with G4 flying to both HNL & LAS, that is a great combination. I, too, hope the airline does well. The demand on the HNL route will support no more than a couple of flights a week, so it ain't goin' daily anytime soon..haha..but, if G4 begins flying to Maui in the next year, as is rumored, then perhaps it can do weekly to Kahului and twice-weekly to HNL. 3x weekly B757 service to the Hawaiian Islands sounds great to me!

BOIguy

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOIguy View Post
When did DL announce it was going to fly GEG-LAX? And when does it start? There's nothing loaded onto DL's website, at least not through the end of May's flight schedules. I totally missed that. GEG has been practically begging airlines to initiate that service for years. The Airport was awarded an approximate $1,000,000 Federal Grant to use as an enticement and that was almost 1 1/2 years ago. I guess DL finally bit the bullet. But, I haven't seen it announced anywhere.

Also, BOI has UA to LAX because UA operates a true hub there, and also has a pretty significant presence @ BOI. So, with a strength at both ends of the route, plus all of the connecting options on UA or other Star Alliance partners, the service works, and that is with service which doesn't operate at optimal times for the Boise originating traveler (if flying on business, anyway). I'm not sure how well DL will do on GEG-LAX, as it still does not have the type of hub in place that UA does there, and the local demand is respectable but not through the roof with passengers. Also, it will depend upon what the schedule is, both for flight times and frequency, as to how well it will perform.

Time will tell, I suppose.

As for BOI, the AA service didn't work partially because it was up against too strong of a competitor in UA. That service was more established, connected to a true hub @ LAX, and UA has served BOI for decades so there are more loyal fliers to UA. I wouldn't put it past AS/QX to one day resurrect nonstop LAX service. Not sure if this is still the routing, but the BOI-SJC flight used to continue to LAX and return to SJC before heading back to BOI. That could be used to see how much traffic was flowing on the 1-stop same plane service and whether it warrants consideration of reintroducing nonstop BOI-LAX service.

With the AA/US merger, DFW service may finally happen next year sometime. AA was already interested in the route, but was awaiting 1 of 2 things to happen: an agreement with an operator to fly larger regional jets in the 76-seat category with 2-class cabins and/or the arrival of the A319s. Well, both are coming this year, so perhaps 2014 will see the addition of BOI-DFW.

Lastly, with G4 flying to both HNL & LAS, that is a great combination. I, too, hope the airline does well. The demand on the HNL route will support no more than a couple of flights a week, so it ain't goin' daily anytime soon..haha..but, if G4 begins flying to Maui in the next year, as is rumored, then perhaps it can do weekly to Kahului and twice-weekly to HNL. 3x weekly B757 service to the Hawaiian Islands sounds great to me!

BOIguy
LAX-GEG begins June 10. I don't think United does too well on BOI-LAX as they have cut it to one flight a day at times. I think people familiar with the LA Area avoid LAX. There were a handful of people on my flight from Ontario to Seattle continuing onto my Boise flight, same thing on the way back via Portland. Just on Alaska people can make easy connections to any SoCal Airport...then add Delta, Southwest, United and even US. I think that really things out the non-stop demand.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 4:11 PM

That is a major problem with the LA market from smaller markets like BOI, that there are too many airports in the LA Basin for which the demand is spread across. But, LAX will always win, because it is by far the largest, it has a plethora of international connections, and it is the only one that has a large enough operation by several different carriers to qualify as a hub. Whether people "like or avoid" it really doesn't hold water, because it is busier than all those other airports combined (even adding San Diego). I think UA does just fine on BOI-LAX. Yes, it has been cut to once a day here and there, but that doesn't signify it as a failure. A failure would mean it is discontinued entirely. There are many reasons capacity and/or frequency may fluctuate. That route was on UA's critical "Watch List" a few years ago but rolled off after becoming pretty consistent in its financial performance. That doesn't mean it can't wind up on that list again, however.

boi2socal, one thing you mentioned is very true, that there are many ways for BOI originating or destined passengers to access SoCal, and on a handful of carriers, either with a single connection or, in some instances, 1-stop same plane service (QX & WN). That puts pressure on the nonstop LAX service, especially with WN having so much capacity in SoCal that it can oftentimes play a large role in controlling published fares. But the fares UA commands seem to be more than enough to make that route profitable.

Also, looks like GEG made some changes to its SCASD Grant to land that DL service. Initially, there was a ridiculous requirement that aircraft be at least 100-seats to qualify for the LAX $$$. No one was going to put such a large aircraft into a market that didn't have sufficient demand to fill 100-seats, for the same reason BOI doesn't have 100-seat planes flying to LAX. That was a flaw in the original application, requiring too much capacity, but still it received the grant. This 1x daily service on a 76-seat CR9 is much better matched with the demand in the market. I hope it does well!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 8:06 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Great discussion! I've been sick and have been wanting to respond to this for a while.

I don't understand what Spokane was thinking with their 99+ seat requirement in their SCASD grant. There's nothing about a 100-seater that's going to make that route do any better than a 76-seater. I'm not sure they ever changed it - I don't know if they have the ability to once they've been awarded the grant.

It'll be interesting to see what American does in Boise now that they'll be connected with the Phoenix hub. The problem with Phoenix for American is that because of competition with Southwest and other factors, PHX is not a high-yielding hub. Also, considering its role in the American route network, I'm not convinced Phoenix isn't made redundant by Dallas/Ft. Worth, so I wouldn't be absolutely shocked to see a major draw-down in Phoenix. But that being said, if we do see Boise to Phoenix cut, I have to imagine it would be replaced by Boise to Dallas/Ft. Worth, especially with the 76-seaters American Eagle will be getting. And if I had to choose between a nonstop connection to Arizona or a nonstop connection to Texas, I'll take Texas as being better for the Boise economy.

It surely must have helped United that Horizon exited the route a couple years ago. In the "good times" of 2006 when oil prices were lower that route was able to sustain two carriers, but not so anymore with today's fuel costs. I could maybe see a once daily Boise to San Diego on Alaska/SkyWest if they continue to build up San Diego, but only time will tell.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 8:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post
It surely must have helped United that Horizon exited the route a couple years ago. In the "good times" of 2006 when oil prices were lower that route was able to sustain two carriers, but not so anymore with today's fuel costs. I could maybe see a once daily Boise to San Diego on Alaska/SkyWest if they continue to build up San Diego, but only time will tell.
For awhile BOI-LAX had three carriers. United (SkyWest), Horizon and for a short time Delta (ExpressJet). Also, there was ExpressJet to Ontario. This all mirrored the housing boom and bust. Not surprisingly, BOI-SoCal probably took the biggest hit capacity wise. I doubt Alaska will do the route again, but maybe Delta or American again. Either could codeshare with Alaska.

San Diego could be a possibility now that they have connections there they did not have before, such as Hawaii and a few more Mexico flights. I just don't know if SkyWest has any planes to add anything other than what they're doing now.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 10:27 PM

http://blogs.idahostatesman.com/bois...feb-28#wgt=rss

Boise: Learn more about Broadway bridge project Feb. 28

Posted on February 26, 2013 by Cynthia Sewell — No Comments ↓

The Idaho Transportation Department will hold a public workshop on the Broadway bridge replacement project from 3 to 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 28, at Washington Group Plaza, 720 Park Blvd., in the Central Plaza Training Room.

Broadway Avenue is part of U.S. 20/26, which is under ITD’s jurisdiction. The bridge, originally built in 1892 and replaced in 1956, is deteriorated and is too narrow for the high volume of cars, pedestrians and bicyclists that travel over it each day, particularly during events at Boise State University. An average of about 24,500 cars travel across the bridge daily, according to ITD.
ITD will hold two additional public workshops March and April.

The transportation department will use comments gathered at the workshops to develop a range of design options for the project. Design options will be presented during a public open house this summer.

“The goal is to design a safe structure that will accommodate future traffic conditions, as well as serve pedestrians and bicyclists,” said Wade Christiansen, ITD’s project manager.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 4:30 PM
Let's Go Brandon!

Meridian Road Interchange

Looks like ITD has decided to rebuild the Meridian Road Interchange as a SPUI.

Read more about it here:

http://itd.idaho.gov/Projects/garvee...dian_fsweb.pdf

Also, I-84 from Broadway to Gowen Road will be widened to three lanes in each direction starting in December:

http://itd.idaho.gov/Projects/garvee...n_Mainline.asp

The Broadway and Gowen Road Interchanges are also scheduled to be rebuilt but are still in the design stages.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 7:05 PM

I don't get why on earth they're abandoning the southwest cloverleaf loop. Even with a SPUI all that left turning traffic would make things slower. I bet Roaring Springs has to be happy about the extra land they could get from narrowing the interchange.

Likewise, on Broadway they should do a southeast cloverleaf instead of a SPUI or diamond--plenty of eastbound traffic turning left to go north on Broadway or to get to Federal Way.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 8:50 PM

Good to hear. Especially the Gowen Road interchange. That thing is atrocious.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 10:57 PM

Also, it would be ideal if ACHD built the Linder overpass before ITD gets started on Meridian. That way, you have an additional way for traffic to get across the interstate and cut down on some construction traffic delays.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 3:59 PM

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/0...ike-pride.html

Boise, ACHD envision the Shamrock Bikeway as a model for future corridors

At the city's urging, Ada County Highway District is preparing to install a continuous bike route along Shamrock Avenue between Executive Drive and the neighborhoods north of McMillan Road.

By SVEN BERG — sberg@idahostatesman.com

Lots of Boise streets have bike lanes. Some have "sharrows": markings indicating that cyclists are likely on the road.

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/0...#storylink=cpy

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
http://blogs.idahostatesman.com/bois...feb-28#wgt=rss

Boise: Learn more about Broadway bridge project Feb. 28

Posted on February 26, 2013 by Cynthia Sewell — No Comments ↓

The Idaho Transportation Department will hold a public workshop on the Broadway bridge replacement project from 3 to 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 28, at Washington Group Plaza, 720 Park Blvd., in the Central Plaza Training Room.

Broadway Avenue is part of U.S. 20/26, which is under ITD’s jurisdiction. The bridge, originally built in 1892 and replaced in 1956, is deteriorated and is too narrow for the high volume of cars, pedestrians and bicyclists that travel over it each day, particularly during events at Boise State University. An average of about 24,500 cars travel across the bridge daily, according to ITD.
ITD will hold two additional public workshops March and April.

The transportation department will use comments gathered at the workshops to develop a range of design options for the project. Design options will be presented during a public open house this summer.

“The goal is to design a safe structure that will accommodate future traffic conditions, as well as serve pedestrians and bicyclists,” said Wade Christiansen, ITD’s project manager.
I attended a good chunk of this workshop yesterday and here were some of the highlights I picked up:
--There was a lot of talk about whether to build a two-span or four-span bridge. I think there are some that want the two-span so that Boise River floaters don't get caught up in the piers, but that the four span would be preferred structurally.
--There was the possibility of either closing Broadway entirely and getting the bridge done in eight months, or leave two lanes open and have take longer, about 15 months. Given the presence of the West ParkCenter bridge I think I'd prefer to just shut down Broadway entirely.
--The bridge will be six lanes wide, but the third lane on the northbound side won't start until well north of University. The reason for this is that they'd have to condemn the Chili's and Baja Fresh buildings to do it.
--There was talk of adding bike lanes on Broadway, but the bridge would have to be wider as a result. Honestly, I don't see the need for bike lanes, because thanks to the grid format of the South Boise neighborhood, it's easy enough for bikes to avoid Broadway entirely. Leadville in particular is a nice straight shot down on the side east of Broadway.
--The new Greenbelt connections to the bridge may be more awkward for bikes to use, but ADA regulations may mandate that awkwardness.
--There was also talk of making the bridge look nice aesthetically, though I didn't stick around for the details on that. Clearly, the ugliness of the West ParkCenter bridge is a sore subject for some.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 5:08 PM
Let's Go Brandon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Of Trees View Post
I attended a good chunk of this workshop yesterday and here were some of the highlights I picked up:
--There was a lot of talk about whether to build a two-span or four-span bridge. I think there are some that want the two-span so that Boise River floaters don't get caught up in the piers, but that the four span would be preferred structurally.
--There was the possibility of either closing Broadway entirely and getting the bridge done in eight months, or leave two lanes open and have take longer, about 15 months. Given the presence of the West ParkCenter bridge I think I'd prefer to just shut down Broadway entirely.
--The bridge will be six lanes wide, but the third lane on the northbound side won't start until well north of University. The reason for this is that they'd have to condemn the Chili's and Baja Fresh buildings to do it.
--There was talk of adding bike lanes on Broadway, but the bridge would have to be wider as a result. Honestly, I don't see the need for bike lanes, because thanks to the grid format of the South Boise neighborhood, it's easy enough for bikes to avoid Broadway entirely. Leadville in particular is a nice straight shot down on the side east of Broadway.
--The new Greenbelt connections to the bridge may be more awkward for bikes to use, but ADA regulations may mandate that awkwardness.
--There was also talk of making the bridge look nice aesthetically, though I didn't stick around for the details on that. Clearly, the ugliness of the West ParkCenter bridge is a sore subject for some.
Perhaps they should concentrate on making the Broadway bridge a vehicle-only bridge, with an "adequate" sidewalk on the east side.

They could then build a nice, wide stand-alone pedestrian bridge on the west side that is capable of handling high volumes of foot traffic, such as occurs before and after football games.

It might be cheaper that way too, because pedestrian bridges don't have to be built to handle heavy trucks.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 2:23 PM

Maybe pedestrian bridge like this one, but on a smaller scale to fit our river

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West