HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 10:17 PM

Top 10 Cities to be a Moviemaker: 2012 (US)

Quote:
Top 10 Cities to be a Moviemaker: 2012

by by Julie Jacobs

http://www.moviemaker.com/ locations/article/2012_top_10_cities_indie_moviemakers_new_orleans_austin_albuquerque_new_yor/

Indie moviemakers are discovering New Orleans
It’s been more than 10 years since MovieMaker began citing the best cities to be an independent moviemaker—those places that go the extra mile in welcoming lower-budget productions just as much as they do the “big guns.” Whether through production support and assistance, tax incentives and waivers, local and experienced crew bases or all of the above, certain cities are becoming go-to locales for indie film production, offering moviemakers the biggest bang for their limited bucks. With more and more moviemakers opting to shoot in their own backyards, a city’s ability to offer a sustainable, creative community has never been more important to the indie industry. Read on to discover which cities topped our list for 2012.

1. New Orleans, LA
According to Pollina Corporate Real Estate’s annual ranking of the top pro-business states, Louisiana has risen to 18th place—which is no surprise to the moviemakers who are flocking there for its film-friendly milieu. Incentives-wise, Louisiana offers a generous 30 percent investor tax credit based on the total in-state expenditures of productions of least $300,000, as well as an additional five percent labor tax credit for hiring Louisiana residents, and both credits are fully transferable. In New Orleans in particular, where a substantial crew base complements the easy availability of camera, grip and electrical equipment, moviemaking is experiencing a heat wave that matches the area’s warm-weather temperatures.
Film New Orleans: 
www.filmneworleans.org

2. Austin, TX
With its strong incentives, substantial crew base and infrastructure and overall warm embrace of film production—not to mention its diverse topography and year-round mild and sunny climate—Austin has attracted countless moviemakers over the years, many of whom have made the city their permanent home, including Robert Rodriguez, whose Troublemaker Studios is based here. “Independent filmmakers have a wealth of resources in Austin,” says Gary Bond, director of film marketing for the Austin Convention & Visitors Bureau. “Aside from our office, the Texas Film Commission and a film-friendly government, Austin is home to the Austin Film Society [founded by Richard Linklater], which has awarded more than $100,000 to new filmmakers, local film support organizations, filmmaker newsgroups, networking communities and film festivals, notably the Austin Film Festival and SXSW.”
Austin Film Commission: 
www.austintexas.org/filmmakers

3. Albuquerque, NM
Albuquerque has played host to such acclaimed films as No Country for Old Men and Little Miss Sunshine as well as Arnold Schwarzenegger’s soon-to-be-released comeback The Last Stand, with The Lone Ranger saddling up there this spring. With nearly year-round sunshine, an aggressive slate of incentives and a diverse landscape of urban, suburban, prairie and forest settings, it’s easy to understand why Albuquerque continues to attract movie productions, small- and big-budget alike. “New Mexico is a fantastic state to shoot in,” says Craig Butler, who made the micro-budgeted The Righteous and the Wicked in New Mexico. “It has great incentives and numerous production resources, such as a prop/costume warehouse filled with things left behind by past productions, and entire Old West towns that have been preserved as film locations. The Albuquerque Film Office is amazing and local businesses are film-friendly. The independent filmmaker couldn’t ask for a better place to work.” 

Albuquerque Film Office: www.cabq.gov/film/

4. Seattle, WA
For writer-director Lynn Shelton (Humpday), shooting in her hometown of Seattle is a given. “The Seattle filmmaking community is a nurturing, inclusive and vibrant one, filled with folks who have a genuine passion for making movies,” she says. “Whether it’s a local director or an out-of-town company, our local crews bring so much talent, good spirit and artistry to everything shot here.” The Emerald City offers a 30 percent cash-back film incentive to productions that shoot there in addition to sales tax exemptions on rental equipment, vehicles used in production and 30 consecutive days of lodging, as well as discounts on below-the-line costs from participating vendors. The one-stop Seattle Film Office provides permits for use of all city-owned property and the former naval airbase at Sand Point by “low-impact feature and short indie films” for just $25 per project for up to 14 days (with some restrictions).
Seattle Film Office: www.seattle.gov/filmoffice/

5. New York, NY
“I don’t think there’s anything quite like New York City, in terms of creative energy and production value, that inspires great filmmaking,” says writer-director-producer David Spaltro, who shot his second indie, Things I Don’t Understand, in New York. “Hollywood may be the film capital of the world, but independent cinema and the arts have always thrived here in the Big Apple.” Judging by 2010 data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Spaltro is far from alone in his sentiments. The motion picture and television industry turned to New York that year for a variety of projects that ultimately created more than 141,000 jobs, both directly and indirectly related to production. Production incentives have played a major role in the momentum. New York State offers a 30 percent refundable tax credit applied against qualified expenditures, and $420 million has been allocated through 2014 for tax credits, with no per-project caps.
New York City Mayor’s Office of Film, Theatre & Broadcasting
: www.nyc.gov/html/film
continue:
http://www.moviemaker.com/articles/p...erque_new_yor/

The list:

1. New Orleans, LA
2. Austin, TX
3. Albuquerque, NM
4. Seattle, WA
5. New York, NY
6. Boston, MA
7. Atlanta, GA
8. Chicago, IL
9. Richmond, VA
10. Wichita, KS

Bonus: San Antonio

Last edited by Xing; May 8, 2012 at 10:53 PM.

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 11:08 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Why isn't Los Angeles in the top ten?

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 11:16 PM

Probably because it was a given.^

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 11:38 PM
Baltimore

NOLA beating NYC?? That cannot be right.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 2:01 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Another oddball list for marketing purposes. Oh well.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Why isn't Los Angeles in the top ten?
This essentially is a rundown of states that offer aggressive incentive programs in tandem with reasonably serviceable production locales. If you're an "indie" filmmaker with a $20 million-plus budget (à la Robert Rodriguez or the Coen brothers) and/or need that particular geography, the list makes sense. Otherwise you're better off in Los Angeles, where the critical mass of talent, resources and infrastructure is far more beneficial and cost-friendly.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 2:26 AM
Paramoderator

Uhhh.... Los Angeles? I know I live there and am biased but seriously. Good luck making it concerning film in New Orleans.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 2:54 AM
Eurosceptic

What a clueless list.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 3:30 AM

LOL.

Anyway, bed time. Nite Nite, y'all!

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 4:06 AM

I'm not defending the list (I hate these stupid lists), but the ranking is regarding the making of independent films. I imagine that is a whole different ballgame from the studio films, in which LA is obviously the overwhelming top city.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelJ View Post
I'm not defending the list (I hate these stupid lists), but the ranking is regarding the making of independent films. I imagine that is a whole different ballgame from the studio films, in which LA is obviously the overwhelming top city.
Really? My impression is kind of the opposite. I'm fairly certain places like Albuquerque, Vancouver, and New Orleans have passed (or are close to) LA in terms of production of large studio films, mainly for the expense of producing films in LA and the incentives offered elsewhere, as others have mentioned. I think though that independent film production is very strong in places like LA and New York.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 4:51 AM

Most large studio films are currently produced outside of California, using incentives and cheaper labor to help offset the (immense) costs of marketing, distribution and A-list casting. Small indie productions (<$10m) are more concerned with such basic costs as equipment rentals, location fees, catering, etc., and L.A.'s preponderance of resources affords them greater options and flexibility.

Right now the bulk of L.A. production is commercials, episodic television and indie fare. Studio features will remain largely out-of-state as long as states continue to subsidize them.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Uhhh.... Los Angeles? I know I live there and am biased but seriously. Good luck making it concerning film in New Orleans.
Films shot in New Orleans.

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?loc...uisiana,%20USA

Considering the size of New Orleans, and it's film community, you actually have a pretty good shot of making it, because you're competing with less people. This doesn't include productions outside of New Orleans, like True Blood, and and the Twilight Saga.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 5:55 AM
Paramoderator

Well, yeah, obviously films are actually, physically shot outside of L.A. nowadays, but this list pertains specifically to where you want to be if you want to be a filmmaker, not where movies are shot, or at least that is how I interpreted it. If you want to be a fillmmaker, L.A. is the place to be. It's all about networking, and outside of maybe, N.Y., you can't really get that 'networking' done in any city besides L.A. Moreover, any meetings, or pitches, or things of the like you might want to do are done in L.A. Sure, there are exceptions to this rule, but that is why there are multiple spots on the list. But L.A. should most definitely be first.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaharocks View Post
Really? My impression is kind of the opposite. I'm fairly certain places like Albuquerque, Vancouver, and New Orleans have passed (or are close to) LA in terms of production of large studio films, mainly for the expense of producing films in LA and the incentives offered elsewhere, as others have mentioned. I think though that independent film production is very strong in places like LA and New York.
LA still has the most feature film production. But if you are going to combine all those cities obviously its not in LA's favor.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 6:21 AM

And Baltimore isn't on this list? Ridiculous.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 10:27 AM

Pfff, the REAL top 10:
Pittsburgh (Batman!)
Marfa TX (There Will Be Daniel Day Lewis and No Country)
Boise, ID (Frozen River)
Santa Fe (Val Kimer has a shack there)
Minneapolis (Juno)
Denver (Things to do there when you're dead)
Boston (so many movies have that accent now it's probably a good idea to relocate there)
Vancouver (Hollywood North people!)

Last edited by CyberEric; May 9, 2012 at 10:38 AM.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 2:05 PM

Paramount is currently building the largest studio east of LA in Pittsburgh. Not quite sure what effect that will have in the profile of the city and actual production volume – but it's something to note.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 2:21 PM
BANNED

^ I think that is going to be a major, major computer-generated animation and digital film-making studio... considering that the studios responsible for Avatar are involved with Paramount and CMU.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 2:42 PM

And Paramount is expanding their own studio within LA. So did 20th Century Fox Studios in Century City. Universal has a big expansion planned. Disney is planning to build a huge new studio just north of LA. All the big studios and production companies are always going to be in LA.

If you’re an actor, writer or director LA is leaps and bounds over anything else. I’m trying to get in the industry myself, and I’ve never heard of anyone going to Toronto, Detroit, or even NYC to start their careers. They all want to be in LA.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions