HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 11:44 AM
It's Hammer Time

Notice the Mayor was absent during the tour?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 3:49 PM
Hammer'd

It looks absolutely amazing.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 9:27 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

If the mayor was there, he'd be accused of posing for a cheap publicity photo op. It seems there is a certain segment of the population that he will never please regardless, the same people that still blame him for Fred coming in third. Fred lost the election on his own, he didn't need any help. He only won one Ward.

Bratina was the only councilor who had guts and called-out the Lister deal that made us pay triple the going rent cost for 30 years. I'm glad the Lister is saved and it looks great. LiUNA did a great job.

Unfortunately the retail will be non-existent, and perhaps it's because of the super-high rent. And I fear what will happen to the Right House.

And it now looks like not only is Phase 2 is quietly going away, but we'll have another gigantic hole in the streetwall where Thomas bldg was, in addition to the other side where the Balfour bldg was. The holes won't be filled until 2017 and even then I seriously doubt that whatever is planned to be built there won't materialize.

So we lost two buildings forever and potentially an empty third bldg. to save the Lister, and it has two ugly blank walls.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 9:31 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Tourism Hamilton: photo

I really like that back tower. But that's proof the two residential towers will never be built, because where they were planned to go.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2011, 2:01 AM
It's Hammer Time

Listening to the Lister on CBC

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...-lister-on-cbc

Two city councillors are still hoping that Canada’s premier broadcaster will set up shop in Hamilton.

Judi Partridge and Brian McHattie met with city staff this week to get an update on the city’s push to bring CBC to Hamilton.

“The biggest challenge is the bandwidth availability for an FM station,” Partridge said. “We’ve got lots of ideas about potential partnerships on that. This city is just so ready for a CBC radio station.”

CBC execs have said Hamilton is top priority for a new five-year plan announced in February to expand to roughly eight new markets.

After touring the newly renovated Lister Block last week, Partridge said the downtown icon would be a great location for a ground-level CBC studio.

“I think it just fits so well with the whole arts culture downtown,” she said. “It would really be such a perfect fit.”

Old Posted Aug 6, 2011, 8:15 PM
Concerned Citizen

Does anybody actually listen to CBC radio. Don't get me wrong, it would be nice to have but would it actually be viable. I can't see them getting many more listeners than CFMU especially if they play the elevator music I remember them playing whenever I've stumbled across the station while channel surfing.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2011, 8:31 PM

If I'm not mistaken, a local CBC Radio affiliate would cannibalize the prime listening hours of one of the campus stations, presumably CFMU. That proposition comes with numerous hitches.

But at least it would solve one problem: It would spare the City the trouble of having to find private sector tenants for the ground floor.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 3:05 PM

Questions Surround Fate Of Downtown Heritage Building [Paul Legall, OpenFile Hamilton, Aug 8, 2011]

One of Hamilton’s architectural treasures has been reduced to a pile of rubble by the same organization that spearheaded the restoration of the historic Lister Building on James Street North.

But heritage conservancy advocates are hopeful the William Thomas Building – one of the oldest commercial structures in the city – will get a new life of sorts through a popular restoration process known as “façadism.”

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
Questions Surround Fate Of Downtown Heritage Building [Paul Legall, OpenFile Hamilton, Aug 8, 2011]

“façadism”

If they "disneyficate" any part of the street wall, like they did across the street, they defeat the achievements of lister

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 7:03 PM

A few weeks old but apparently little-viewed: EcDev's Lister Block reel.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 4:09 PM

is there any news regarding the fresh hole beside the lister block. I have a feeling it's going to become parking. Just what hamilton needs...more parking.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2012, 7:15 PM

Where's this fresh hole? Where the Thomas Bldg was?

EDIT - The Thomas Building was the one that was just north of the Lister, right? Or am I getting my names confused?

Last edited by mattgrande; Jan 10, 2012 at 1:48 PM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 4:08 PM
It's Hammer Time

Tourism Hamilton will open it's Information Centre on April 13th, same day as Art Crawl.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 9:47 PM
It's Hammer Time

TourismHamilton: The floor!  #ListerBlock #HamOnt http://t.co/EYNEgddR

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 9:49 PM
It's Hammer Time

TourismHamilton: Large, rentable event space at the back for events, training & art exhibits.  #ListerBlock #HamOnt http://t.co/c0kBi4sr

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 9:50 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 10:04 PM
Hammer'd

I have to say that despite my disappointment with the use of the building, the tourism hamilton space is really looking great. I think we're gonna see some nice spinoff effects and an extension of the gallery district North towards King finally.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 4:39 PM
It's Hammer Time

Tourism Hamilton open house at Lister

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...ouse-at-lister

Residents can check out the new visitor information centre in the recently renovated Lister Block this Friday.

A $25 million renovation of the iconic-but-crumbling building was largely completed last year. City employees are gradually moving in to the top floors, with Tourism Hamilton and other retail operators expected on the first floor.

Interested city residents can check out Tourism Hamilton’s ground-floor centre at 28 James Street North between 9 a.m. and 11 p.m.

Food trucks, a mobile coffee bar, fruit and flower carts from the Hamilton Farmers’ Market and local athletes will all make appearances throughout the open house, which will be open late for the James Street North ArtCrawl.

For more information, visit www.tourismhamilton.com.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 3:43 AM

Showing off the restored Lister Block

Ken Mann 900CHML.com 4/10/2012

It's a first chance for most Hamiltonians to see inside of the restored Lister Block.
Tourism Hamilton will celebrate the opening of its new visitor information centre inside of the James Street North building ---- with a day-long open house on Friday.
CHML will be part of the celebrations, with Bill Kelly and Scott Thompson broadcasting live from 9-until-noon and noon-until-3.
The iconic downtown building has been restored by LIUNA and High-Rise Group at a cost of 25 million dollars using the original marble and terrazzo flooring.
The city's community services department will be housed on the upper floors with Tourism Hamilton on the ground level. There are also a number of retail spaces available.

http://www.900chml.com/Channels/Reg/...spx?ID=1684175

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton