HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
There have been fare machines at all the SE Transitway stations for 2 years but they still haven't been activated.
What is up with that? So frustrating. It messed up my wife (an infrequent transit user) who was planning to buy a fair at Walkley Station and assumed those machines would have been activated since the last time she used transit. I've asked why they haven't been activated yet and never any response.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 5:59 PM

Another incident today reported first on twitter, not by OCTranspo or RTM/RTG. Given the news yesterday that the debris that knocked out part of the system earlier this week or last week was a piece of the train that fell loose, this seems to be more of the same sort of problem. There was also a similar issue of what looked like an electrical panel falling open right in front of a doorway the other week.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 6:03 PM

According to CTV News, there was a small electrical fire at the Confederation Line maintenance facility. Nobody injured.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/fire-at-lr...lays-1.4819843

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-modal View Post
For Phase 1, Tunney's and Blair I can live with as temporary. Hurdman has always made me mad/sad. There are so many ways they could have improved the design given the space they had to work with. The percentage of time during the peaks that the layover spaces are full also has me worried. Will the number of layover spaces limit service on the SE Transitway in the future?

A lot of the upcoming transfer stations are being over-designed, but also terribly designed (Baseline especially, Lincoln Fields).
We all know that the very expensive Baseline underground station was designed long before we knew what we were going to do with Phase 2. How could we possibly expect to have this really work well? Time will tell.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 8:03 PM

Looking at the roughed-in entrances, it looks like they built the tunnel still thinking platforms would be 180 meters. I better understand why they shifted the platform south.

Ideally, they would build the main entrance where the largest rough-in is situated. This would make it possible to build the pedestrian bridge from the College to the station aligned with the existing one crossing Woodroffe. The second entrance (fare paid zone) could be south of College Avenue, with the bus loop going around the station entrance.

Instead, they came up with the worst possible design, with a sprawling single story entrance in the plaza behind the college and a pedestrian bridge going to the bus loop entrance, forcing college students to walk as far as possible. I guess they think the majority of Algonquin students live in Barrhaven.

https://www.otrainfans.ca/confederat...hwest/baseline

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
We all know that the very expensive Baseline underground station was designed long before we knew what we were going to do with Phase 2. How could we possibly expect to have this really work well? Time will tell.
The problems with Baseline have nothing to do with the tunnel... but I've talked about my issues with it previously... no need to go into it again when it won't change anything.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
My response on the Stage 2 West thread.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=2006

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Instead, they came up with the worst possible design, with a sprawling single story entrance in the plaza behind the college and a pedestrian bridge going to the bus loop entrance, forcing college students to walk as far as possible. I guess they think the majority of Algonquin students live in Barrhaven.
Also forcing the 88 to deviate as far as possible from Baseline to service the station... a long term problem created to satisfy some designer's unnecessary requirements for a semi-temporary transfer station (with some creativity, transfers could have been handled using the existing Transitway)

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-modal View Post
Also forcing the 88 to deviate as far as possible from Baseline to service the station... a long term problem created to satisfy some designer's unnecessary requirements for a semi-temporary transfer station.
Yes, this is going to be an issue. How will, if it's ever built, the Baseline Transitway bus routes loop around Algonquin Station, I don't know. With the current design, there is no way it can ever be done efficiently.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwordisnt123 View Post
Another incident today reported first on twitter, not by OCTranspo or RTM/RTG. Given the news yesterday that the debris that knocked out part of the system earlier this week or last week was a piece of the train that fell loose, this seems to be more of the same sort of problem. There was also a similar issue of what looked like an electrical panel falling open right in front of a doorway the other week.

At this point Alstom techs simply need to do a once over (maybe even a twice over) of every single nut, bolt, and latch. My GF was on a train yesterday where she saw another one of the flaps, which cover the overhead electrical housing, come down at hit a passenger on the head. Luckily it didn't come down with much force or it could've done some damage.

We're already experiencing so much downtime due to problems with complex fixes (e.g. doors, switches, VOBC) that we really can't afford more delays due to carelessness or poor worksmanship

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannwagon View Post
At this point Alstom techs simply need to do a once over (maybe even a twice over) of every single nut, bolt, and latch. My GF was on a train yesterday where she saw another one of the flaps, which cover the overhead electrical housing, come down at hit a passenger on the head. Luckily it didn't come down with much force or it could've done some damage.

We're already experiencing so much downtime due to problems with complex fixes (e.g. doors, switches, VOBC) that we really can't afford more delays due to carelessness or poor worksmanship
That flap covers the port that is used to fill the sand reservoirs. You can check all of the latches on every train, but when they open them all up again tonight, there's always a chance that one won't get closed properly. In the end, it doesn't matter very much.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 11:31 PM

(moved to West LRT thread)

Last edited by TransitZilla; Feb 21, 2020 at 2:25 PM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 2:52 AM

Delays of approx 1hr this evening. People stuck on trains tonight. Commuters are starting to seriously lose it.

https://twitter.com/smwgilbert/statu...155922945?s=21

I can’t believe I am saying this but I think this line needs to be shut down until it’s working.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 4:48 AM

I'm so glad I worked at home today.

Ottawa needs a major protest and some high profile resignations. Who's in?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 1:26 PM

I see others are feeling really defeated, not just myself. It's not like we cheaped on this project given the investment made so it's really frustrating the number and types of problems we are seeing. Unfortunately, I see the same thing everytime I try to hire anyone to DO ANYTHING! Everyone wants to do the minimum effort and cash a cheque and no one seems to be taking any personal responsibility for the success or failure of this system. Maybe I'm just angry today since my very expensive fridge and inverter microwave just broke in the same week

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykl View Post

Sign me up. This whole thing is absolutely bananas. I feel like the saga and all the missteps and bad decisions and dysfunctional contracts and lack of transparency and mismanagement could fill an entire medium-length in-depth podcast. If I wasn't so busy at work, I'd do it myself.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykl View Post

I get it, but this is an engineering problem. I'm not sure software and mechanical issues respond to protests.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 5:41 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

LRT riders suffered 'unacceptable' delays in Thursday breakdowns, transit boss says
"We experienced three events that caused us to roll out multiple responses at different locations," Manconi wrote in a message.

Norman Provencher, Ottawa Citizen
Updated: February 21, 2020

Some passengers on Ottawa’s $2.1-billion LRT system suffered “unacceptable” delays of more than an hour in Thursday’s afternoon commute due to a series of train breakdowns, Ottawa transportation general manager John Manconi said in a message Friday.

“We experienced three events that caused us to roll out multiple responses at different locations,” Manconi wrote in a message to councillors, transit commission members and others.

“Three disruptions at different locations is frustrating for our customers and impacted their commute … to varying degrees,” he wrote. “Operationally, the demand on resources was intense and communicating all the impacts, service responses etc. in a short period of time with changing situations was a challenge.

“The delays to affected customers were extensive and not acceptable.”

According to Manconi’s note, the problems began at about 4:20 p.m. with an unexplained “fault” on an eastbound train at Rideau Station. The operator was able to get the train running, resulting in delays of about 10 minutes. The train following the stricken train was also delayed.

Thirty minutes later, the stricken train “experienced another fault” just outside Blair station. This time, the operator could not clear the issue and technicians from the RTG consortium were dispatched.

Just after 5 p.m., OC Transpo implemented R1 replacement bus service between St. Laurent and Blair stations.

It took almost 30 minutes to slowly move the stricken train into Blair Station.

Quote:
Nathalie Boivin @MrsBoivs

Stuck on this train like sardines. Then they tell us we won't be moving for a while. Now we have to take a rescue bus to Blair to to take another bus home! Way to go #Ottlrt way to go!! Makes commuting to work a nightmare!!!
“We recognize that this would have been frustrating delay for customers on the train, especially after experiencing a delay earlier in their trip at Rideau Station.

“Combined, this resulted in these customers having a trip time of one hour on compared to a total end-to-end trip time of 24 minutes,” Manconi wrote.

Full service resumed shortly afterwards, with a spare train dispatched. The broken train remained at Blair until after the end of rush hour when it was returned to the maintenance yards.

While all this was going on, “a separate train experienced a door fault at a downtown station,” Manconi said. “This resulted in an additional delay for some customers of approximately five minutes.”

Manconi’s Friday message was much more complete than a release he issued Thursday afternoon: “We had 13 trains out this afternoon. Unfortunately we experienced two delays impacting customer. The first was a train issue at Rideau that caused some delays as that was cleared up, the second issue occurred which is a brake issue at Blair that just cleared up. We had to ask some customers to offload and use buses until full service has been restored.”

Citizen transit commissioner Sarah Wright-Gilbert said Friday she doubts the Friday message would have been sent had she and Coun. Carol Anne Meehan and others not “held Transpo’s feet to the fire” for more details on the breakdown.

Wright-Gilbert issued an exasperated nine-tweet thread Thursday evening.

“It is time to hold RTM/RTG accountable for the system they built and maintain, not just through financial penalties, but through public pressure and leadership at City Hall, Transit Commission, and OC Transpo,” she notes in one of the tweets.

“I was hoping this thread would be a call to action,” Wright-Gilbert said Friday. “It’s not just about the failures and breakdowns. It’s the lack of information, even at the very basic levels. There is next to no communication.”

Meanwhile, city council’s outgoing transportation committee chairman Allan Hubley said his “patience is gone” as the LRT breakdowns continue.

“It’s time to get in there ahead of time, do the preventive maintenance that’s been prescribed for these trains,” he told CTV news.

Quote:
Sarah Wright-Gilbert @smwgilbert

*THREAD*
I have had enough. Brakes, doors, onboard computers, power connectors, flat wheels, odours, transponders, freezing stations, pieces coming off of the trains. 1/9

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...nsit-boss-says

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 6:48 PM

Quote:
I get it, but this is an engineering problem. I'm not sure software and mechanical issues respond to protests.
The mechanical systems didn't come into this world through immaculate conception. The systems were built (poorly it seems) by people and managed (poorly it seems) by other people.

Where protests fail to work on mechanical and software systems, they do work quite well on people, particularly people who are sensitive to public opinion. This can be because they're a vendor who depends on good public sentiment or because they're a political leader who depends on good public sentiment or because they're a senior bureaucrat whose political leader has told them their job depends on good public sentiment.

Now admittedly so far we've had the exact opposite happen. We've had Manconi basically continue his MO with impunity and his boss refusing to fire him and his boss's boss (Watson) refusing to fire him either. But if people get angry enough and if they keep up the pressure, they can if they choose send a clear message to Watson and anybody that comes after him.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 8:47 PM

Quote:
On the surface yes, but it'd be naive to think there aren't deep seeded governance issues playing a role here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation