HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Ping An International Finance Centre in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Shenzhen Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
Is it at ground level already?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 7:05 AM

Oh then this might be completed before WTC.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 11:03 PM
SWFC and ICC R Best

Quote:
could use some of your pics over at ssc as well, you get good pics, and know your stuff, is there some reason you don't post at ssc? I know a lot of ppl complain about there moderators, you'd be an asset, instead of just ppl guessing what's going on.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2012, 12:56 AM

Maybe they could someday build an even better tower with a similar design in NYC. But unfortunately with our economy the way it is, it won't be anytime soon. We barely even have enough tenants for the current WTC towers. BTW no offense to anyone but why does China suddenly need so many supertalls?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2012, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy24 View Post
Maybe they could someday build an even better tower with a similar design in NYC. But unfortunately with our economy the way it is, it won't be anytime soon. We barely even have enough tenants for the current WTC towers. BTW no offense to anyone but why does China suddenly need so many supertalls?
They're going through massive industrialization and are have all the money in the world to do whatever they want basically right now. It's industrial America all over again, except the huge population is already there and there's no democracy. I can't explain the need for supertalls, but my guess is that they look awesome. I believe this is pretty much the same reason for the rise of supertalls in 20s and 30s America. That's just me though, it's probably for other reasons that I haven't heard of. They have to use that extra money some way though.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2012, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salakast View Post
They're going through massive industrialization and are have all the money in the world to do whatever they want basically right now. It's industrial America all over again, except the huge population is already there and there's no democracy. I can't explain the need for supertalls, but my guess is that they look awesome. I believe this is pretty much the same reason for the rise of supertalls in 20s and 30s America. That's just me though, it's probably for other reasons that I haven't heard of. They have to use that extra money some way though.
Nothing about this post is accurate.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2012, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newstl2020 View Post
Nothing about this post is accurate.
Sorry

Old Posted Aug 25, 2012, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salakast View Post
Not at all. Read this article from the NYTimes. It's almost entirely government funded speculative real estate. In a city like Shanghai, or Beijing, some of these massive real estate developments can be justified, but does Shenzen really need 115 floors of commercial real estate, to say nothing about the millions of square feet that are already under construction in the city in other buildings? I'm very skeptical. In fairness, China's population is shifting to a more urban population, but the residential properties are being priced out of reach of ordinary Chinese citizens as far as I can tell, and again I just don't see any way a city like Shenzen or Gangzhou absorbs millions of square feet worth of office space in the coming years.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2012, 9:14 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2012, 3:31 AM
Hopeful Graduate

Is there any reason this building has a round foundation when it is not really a round building?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2012, 1:40 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
Why do many Chinese supertalls have a circular foundation, regardless of the actual building shape?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymant View Post
Is there any reason this building has a round foundation when it is not really a round building?
Quote:
The circle is acting like two arches put together so the excavation walls remain supported while keeping the area where the tower is going in clear.
Quite a popular question, it seems.

gjhhose

Old Posted Sep 10, 2012, 9:11 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 9:42 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 1:53 AM

Dammit! we should be watching this rise in NYC

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 2:46 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
A brother from another mother better rise in East Midtown on account of the rezoning. NYC needs a tower similar to this.
Such a novel ideal. I wouldn't put it in the WTC's hole though, let that complex shine. I'd put it on the whole block between Beaver Street,Wall Street, Nassau Street and Williams Street. I say tear down the whole space, build the tower centered with open park space filling the rest of the space. Imagine opening up in front of The NY Stock Exchange, The Bankers Trust Building (14 Wall St), Federal Hall, Trump Tower (40 Wall St), The Museum of American Finance, 20 Exchange Pl,

What we'd loose we'd definitely make up for with the SuperTall (2,000ft +). It could feasibly work too. Imagine if the developer told all the companies being displaced, that if they signed an agreement now, they could move into similar floor space in the new tower for a very competitive lease (but long contract) AND would have the space custom tailored to their exact needs. By securing tenants before work even began funding would flow in. Thanks to the buget, they would be able to raise all existing structures, prep the site, and build and complete the new tower in 5 years time. During those 5 years, evicted tenants would provide a boom to dormant office space that is currently very high. The existing property owners win as well. A Trust would be formed between the owners of the original properties (as well as a share to the investors and visionaries) which would operate the tower and collect rent revenue which would exceed current income (from newly created lease-able space)

The spot is already well serviced by the 2,3 (Penn Commuters),4,5(Grand Central Commuters),J and Z(Brooklyn Commuters) trains with the 1,N, and R within easy reach.

Now that would be awesome to see.

Last edited by drumz0rz; Oct 9, 2012 at 4:39 AM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 4:15 AM

Too bad it's not going to happen. There are too many utilities and subway lines in or under that vicinity to ever get development going on a supertall without bankrupting the developer, not to mention those pin needle streets that wind through the financial district. No bueno for grade level traffic or any new business, any way you look at it.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 8:50 PM
SWFC and ICC R Best

Quote:
Great photos Scalziand,,

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 8:58 PM
SWFC and ICC R Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
Dammit! we should be watching this rise in NYC
It looks like it would fit in great, Chrysler, ESB, then This Beast,, All in Mid-town,,,Unfortunately we here in America have this stupid FAA rule,, nothing over 2000ft,, but why is there a telecommunication tower in the dakotas at 2200?? can't cry to much Hong Kong's is worse they'll never have anything taller than ICC, they can't go higher than the surrounding mountains, or ICC would have been 2000ft, instead of 3/4 size it stands now.

Last edited by bigreach; Oct 20, 2012 at 8:58 PM. Reason: misinfo

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreach View Post
It looks like it would fit in great, Chrysler, ESB, then This Beast,, All in Mid-town,,,Unfortunately we here in America have this stupid FAA rule,, nothing over 2000ft,, but why is there a telecommunication tower in the dakotas at 2200?? can't cry to much Hong Kong's is worse they'll never have anything taller than ICC, they can't go higher than the surrounding mountains, or ICC would have been 2000ft, instead of 3/4 size it stands now.
You can build anything taller than 2000' feet in the United States if it's in the public's interest. Radio towers would definitely qualify. It would take approvals from the FAA, but it's not impossible. You'll definitely be under more stringent guidelines for identifying your building as an aviation hazard.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive