HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
Anyone else considering the homeless and mentally ill camped outside of this new Apple space?
i live next door, there arent any homeless tents here.. There are a couple homeless who sleep under the cover of the blue jeans building, but they leave by 6 am. Since they are starting a conversion there as well, they wont be back

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post

Brigham yen last yr mentioned about hearing rumors to that effect, which I thought were too fanciful to be plausible. Prior to that there had also been talk about apple getting involved with the large renovation proj of the former may co bldg further south on broadway.

I'm getting so spoiled by all the good news....by all the new devlpt.....that now if a day goes by without hearing something new & exciting taking place in dtla, it seems like a big lull in the pace of change.

But there has been talk for quite awhile about groundbreaking finally occurring in April on the apt proj at 5th & olive....one of the biggest gaps in dt that has long bothered me....& start of work on the apt tower at the corner of 4th & hill st. That's very important if only cuz it means that the tatty little taco house bldg on Hill st will have to be torn down & that grand central mkt will finally have a nice neighbor to its south.

then there's the apt tower proposed for 4th & broadway. Of course, waiting in the wings...& long overdue...is the grand ave proj controlled by the related cos up on bunker hill. Disney Hall has long deserved something nice across the major street from it.
I truly hope the 5th and olive project doesnt get built. Its such a monumental waste that id be willing to wait for the right project there. I hope Macfarlane comes to their senses and sells the damn thing to someone with vision and money

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 11:14 PM

^^^ I second that, I truly hope that project gets sold to someone else.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 2:05 AM
BikeMike

Chicken Little has been saying everything is going to fall apart tomorrow for about 9 strait months now. After being proven wrong soooooo many times you would think he would have learned by now.

I know some of the building owners right next to the future Apple store. They are getting multiple offers for their stores. By the time Broadway Trade Center opens that street will be a whole different world.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 3:49 AM

Today

Video Link

4th & broadway was being painted too

Video Link

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 6:17 AM

New renderings for the Mack Urban 38 story. Pulled from DTLA dev page on FB.

Looks like the roof deck is at 392' but it does go a bit higher. I clock it at roughly 425' but it seems the spire is no more.

In other news...

According to Simon Ha, Suffolk has been hired to finish the garage and the tower of 888 Hope. Construction should be resuming this summer.

Electrical permits were issued a few weeks ago.

The front page has been updated with all the new renderings.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 2:23 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Really forgettable design, to be perfectly honest. Love the fact that it's 400+ feet and will complement the USC Tower and help connect that building to the South Park skyline, but the design is just meh. Hopefully the materials end up being good ones, but the value engineering of the top of the building doesn't give me much hope.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 3:08 PM

^^^ I agree but I'll take it. We need some basic towers to make the sexy ones stand out more.

Woke up this morning to KTLA confirming that Apple is in fact coming to the Tower Theater .

I like how rumors and speculation can sometimes turn into facts

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 3:53 PM

Whoa Apple!! Man, just thinking about where downtown was 11 years ago and how many abandoned buildings and parking lots there were. 3 more years it's completely transformed and it will be recognizable.

Okay streetcar, it's time to get your life together. Don't let the light rail subway beat you

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 4:21 PM

If the Apple thing pans out I wonder if that'll be enough to attract somebody like Nordstrom to the Broadway Trade Center.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 4:38 PM

Happy to say that Agence TER won the Pershing Squarenew competition

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...nap-story.html

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMP View Post
Happy to say that Agence TER won the Pershing Squarenew competition

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...nap-story.html
It wasn't my pick to win but I'm okay with the amount of open greenspace it provides.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally West View Post
It wasn't my pick to win but I'm okay with the amount of open greenspace it provides.

What happens to the garage in this proposal? I would love it if they demolished the damned thing but there is too much money to be made in parking.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 5:20 PM

From Hawthorne's take: "It also calls for slicing off the top of the parking garage below the square, allowing the park to be flush with the sidewalks around it for the first time in more than a half-century."

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post
It's going to be a party!

http://www.labusinessjournal.com/new...n-los-angeles/

The more I investigate this silly story the more I admire the one who planted it. Retail has been slow to lease in the area (though there are a few tenants still looking for space on Broadway south of 7th - Foot Locker, Nike Outlet, Guess Outlet), so what do you do?

Plant a story with the biggest click-bait you can find. Historic Theatre, Apple, DTLA. Tenants will be calling the downtown brokers within 24 hours asking if its happening - and what their options are for nearby spaces.

Make sure the article primes potential tenants by saying things like 'Part of the splash would be to push up the surrounding rents, which currently range from $1.50 to $4.50 a square foot, depending on the block.

“When it becomes fully known, the pricing is going to skyrocket,” said Kadosh.'

I love it. If I were an agent tasked with leasing on Broadway this is exactly the kind of game I'd be playing.

Tower Theater disrepair (East Clock) by Hunter, on Flickr
But Hunter concerning Apple's pending signing of a lease, you question the validity of the article in the Los Angeles Business Journal--which by the way, In my opinion is a very credible publication (and I might add an earlier inkling about Apple by Brigham Yen). So now it is fair that we question the validity or your "mystery Broker conspiracy" accusation. Where is your proof? As my Graduate professor would have said, "you'd better be prepared to document--or no one will believe you."

Last edited by Wilcal; May 12, 2016 at 7:36 PM.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcal View Post
But Hunter concerning Apple's pending signing of a lease, you question the validity of the article in the Los Angeles Business Journal--which by the way, In my opinion is a very credible publication (and I might add an earlier inkling about Apple by Brigham Yen). So now, we question the validity or your "mystery Broker conspiracy" accusation. Where is your proof? As my Graduate professor would have said "you'd better be prepared to document--or no one will believe you."
As always, and predictably so, it's crickets now from Hunter.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcal View Post
But Hunter concerning Apple's pending signing of a lease, you question the validity of the article in the Los Angeles Business Journal--which by the way, In my opinion is a very credible publication (and I might add an earlier inkling about Apple by Brigham Yen). So now, we question the validity or your "mystery Broker conspiracy" accusation. Where is your proof? As my Graduate professor would have said, "you'd better be prepared to document--or no one will believe you."
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomJames View Post
As always, and predictably so, it's crickets now from Hunter.
My post was educated speculation. I'll bring it back up in 6 months when we've heard nothing from Apple or The Tower.

...I mean really, has nobody paid attention to Apples retail strategy the last decade? They've never pioneered even 1/2 this hard. You think Apple is going across the street from check cashing & jewelry joints and next door to an unfinished project with unsightly scaffolding!? The gullibility of some people is amazing.

And now the thread steers into new fictitious territory by focusing on a Pershing Square redesign that has no path to funding. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I would love to see this happen.

Last edited by ConstructDTLA; May 12, 2016 at 6:56 PM.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 6:55 PM

^^^
I don't see it happening either. Apple prefers new build, very modern (glassy and full of natural light) spaces in prime locations. This theater offers none of those things. Also, bricks and mortar retail is in free fall right now. There's going to be an enormous amount of space coming back on the market in the next several years. Consider Sports Chalet and Sports Authority as the tip of the iceberg.

Also regarding Pershing Square, great news! But as usual there's no point in getting excited as the city doesn't have a a single penny allocated to make this project a reality. Not sure why they are even bothering with this competition.

The only hope is Quimby funds right?

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 7:33 PM

We've heard a gazillion rumors around various stores for years from realtors. Until there's a statement from Apple I'm going to be skeptical as well. Why would a realtor endanger a deal by giving early press? There's nothing in it for them, only bad stuff could come of that.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally West View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
What happens to the garage in this proposal? I would love it if they demolished the damned thing but there is too much money to be made in parking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMP View Post
From Hawthorne's take: "It also calls for slicing off the top of the parking garage below the square, allowing the park to be flush with the sidewalks around it for the first time in more than a half-century."
Not to throw cold water on the plans, but for all of you who made comments remember that to shave off a level of the parking structure and redesign the square will probably cost easily over the $50 million which they budgeted for. Perhaps much more if not at least a $100 million. Where is that money going to come from?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations