HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
Aside from Bell Centre, this will be the nicest arena in Canada by a mile. Way better then the ACC, which aside from Long Island and Boston the worst rink in the NHL.

No other Arena has such ample room and footplate. Supposedly the lockerooms in the new QC rink would be already the biggest in the NHL without a team.

Lots of pork and sprinkles into this arena but it is foolish to think the end goal won't be a team. These smaller markets have to do things like this to lure in the players, I am sure the new Edmonton rink will have similar perks built in.
Bell centre the best rink in Canada? ACC the worst rink in Canada? Never heard that before. All i've ever heard about the Bell Centre is ugly exterior, cramped concourses, and an upper bowl miles away from the field of play.

Maybe the media prefer the Bell centre because their media facilities are great, but rinks aren't built solely for the media. 20 000 fans attend games, 200 media personnel attend games. New arenas are built to gauge the pocket book of the 20 000 fans in attendance, not the media who are being paid to be there. Let me guess, Bell Centre provides a better media buffet as well? haha

Last edited by king10; Apr 3, 2015 at 5:02 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Bell Centre is good, but not spectacular. It appears that Quebec's rink will be roughly on par with Edmonton's... they'll set the new standard for arenas in Canada.

I would think Quebec is a given to get a NHL team... there must have been some sort of deal made. You certainly don't build a rink like that for the Q. And just look at the anemic response to the season ticket drive in Las Vegas... you can't tell me that Quebec wouldn't blow them away if they had a crack at a similar season ticket drive. I'm sure that a Quebec team's revenues would impressively high.
Hamilton has a lot to say about building a rink for nothing and a 15 000 pre sale season ticket drive selling out in less than a week. Both times no NHL team arrived.

Not saying Quebec won't get a team. Just saying crazier things have happened in the past.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
I've heard a couple of people at comment that it should be out in boonies. One lady I work with suggested it should be down by the new South hospital Another guy at work wants it out by Crossiron Mills.....he said Ottawa did it right, and then I mentioned to him that they are looking to put their next arena downtown.
Some of those Albertans sure love their suburbs, vehicles and the oil they run on.

Last edited by king10; Apr 3, 2015 at 5:20 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 5:18 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
Some of those Albertans sure love their, suburbs, vehicles and the oil they run on.
Indeed and many folk here wanted it beside our ring road, but the impact on our downtown now is undeniable and over the next 35yrs will be city changing.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 5:36 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
Hamilton has a lot to say about building a rink for nothing and a 15 000 pre sale season ticket drive selling out in less than a week. Both times no NHL team arrived.

Not saying Quebec won't get a team. Just saying crazier things have happened in the past.
Fair enough, there are certainly examples of arenas built to attract NHL or NBA teams that never arrived, and most of them were/are really quite nice by the standards of their era... Copps Coliseum, Saskatchewan Place, Sprint Center, BOK Center.

It just seems as though the Quebec rink is being built really quickly and with purpose, which leads me to think that there may be a lot going on behind the scenes.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 9:01 PM

lolwut x2

I guess it's just a coincidence that players in both the ACC and NBA rave about how amazing the facilities in the ACC are. And the ACC's concourses are cramped, but the Bell Centre is one of the best in the league? Wow. Whatever osmo is on, I'd like some.

The ACC is 16 years old and is still one of the top 5 in the league. The only thing that takes away from it is that it's too small for hockey.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
Way better then the ACC, which aside from Long Island and Boston the worst rink in the NHL.
If the ACC and TD Gardens are the worst arenas in the NHL, then the NHL is full of amazing arenas. I've never been to the TD Gardens, but everything I've seen and heard about it tells me it's very good. I've been to the ACC numerous times and it's definitely a quality arena. The concourse may be a little tight, but for an 18,000+ seat arena - it's very intimate. Also, it may have the best location in the league as well.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 9:37 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It just seems as though the Quebec rink is being built really quickly and with purpose, which leads me to think that there may be a lot going on behind the scenes.
...Federal/vote buying/Transfer money have deadlines you know. C'est vrais!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 9:45 PM
Look at me!

The new Colisée's costs were split 50/50 between the province and the City of Quebec.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 9:59 PM
Community Guy

Exactly...

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 10:12 PM

Looking at pictures of the jays pregame at olympic stadium. It appears they have installed a new larger video board in place of the old one.

New

Old

Notice how the new video board is one continuous HD screen vs the old one being divided into two parts. A video board and a pixelated image board.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 12:15 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I still think if BC Place can be rejuvenated, then Olympic Stadium can be too. Building a new baseball stadium is stupid.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
I still think if BC Place can be rejuvenated, then Olympic Stadium can be too. Building a new baseball stadium is stupid.
Unless its built with private $$$$.

Also bc place is in a good location. Olympic is outside of the downtown. Not sure what theyre going to do but renovating olympic would cost just as much as a new baseball stadium. A lot will probably depend on canadas world cup bid.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 12:54 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I understand, but abandoning it and demolishing it would have to be paid by the government, and the loss of revenue and cost to do that would be enormous, I heard 1 billion through to redevelopment.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 1:04 AM

Quote:
I understand, but abandoning it and demolishing it would have to be paid by the government, and the loss of revenue and cost to do that would be enormous, I heard 1 billion through to redevelopment.

I hear ya. Ideally a new baseball owner would build a private stadium and have the private sector pay the costs. Saputo stadium is owned by saputo. Molson stadium by mcgill. Bell centre by the molson family. That leaves the city/ province with only olympic stadium to renovate on their own dime. Quebec seems to not mind contributing to stadia as recently theyve provided a significant amount to the new quebec city arena as well as the 10 000 seat arena in laval.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 1:08 AM

46,314 in the Big O tonight

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 1:22 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
spending money to renew olympic stadium to attract baseball would be a waste of money. MLB will never move to a dome. They will never move to a plastic field. They will never move to a multi-purpose facility.

Even the half billion they spent on BC place left them with an inadequate soccer stadium and something that would never attract baseball. It is a convention facility that can host football. The world has moved past the 1980's multi-purpose stadium idea. Vancouver needs a real soccer stadium, Montreal needs a real baseball stadium (if they want baseball back).

The Blue Jays are one of only two teams left with plastic grass and they are spending millions to change that. Florida will likely move from their dome to another city. Cities like Minneapolis are spending billions constructing sport specific facilities and demolishing their multi-purpose domes.

Olympic Stadium is a white elephant. It is too big. It is a relic of a different era. It is time to bite the bullet and implode it. Stop throwing good money after bad.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 1:31 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Building a soccer specific stadium in Vancouver would be a giant waste of money. I'm sure the team is going to move out of town eventually. I would oppose any more government / city money/land/zoning favours wasted on soccer. Having them in BC place as a #2 tenant was the only way to support them while the fad lasts without burning money. Even if private money was spent on a soccer stadium, it would end up useless when the soccer team fails, and a waste of prime property as they wanted to build it on the waterfront or some other downtown location.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 1:33 AM
gettin' rich!

The ACC was initially built for the Raptors, but the Maple Leafs bought the team and the then under-construction stadium so the Leafs could play there. This might explain why its an awesome place to watch basketball, maybe not so great for Hockey.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 1:33 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
You can't (or wouldn't want to) build a baseball stadium in Montreal without a retractable roof. I mean, unless you don't want to play any home games in April
The Expos played outdoors for 20 years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada