HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Wow. I just love it all. Your pics are fantastic. The Warner Theater Bldg is absolutely beautiful. I love the uniqueness of Los Angeles, yet I love the traditional feeling of downtown but with its own architectural gems.
Thanks Pwright, I really appreciate that.

Let me know if you guys have any requests for specific buildings or streets and I'll take it for you.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTLAdenizen View Post
Thanks Pwright, I really appreciate that.

Let me know if you guys have any requests for specific buildings or streets and I'll take it for you.
Could you grab some of the Wilshire Grand. Close ones of the core, Thanks

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 2:40 PM

So one thing I'd like to ask is...would downtown LA be affordable for someone like myself - blue collar, single, no kids, no car and not looking for any frills? I want to live downtown but I don't need all the luxurious amenities, and so many big cities' downtowns today have two kinds of housing: $2000 studios for the ultra rich, or a cot at the Salvation Army. I'd like to see more of 'the basics' for those of us who enjoy urban living but aren't rich enough to afford the outrageous rents with these new McHighrises.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
Could you grab some of the Wilshire Grand. Close ones of the core, Thanks
See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuluthJon View Post
So one thing I'd like to ask is...would downtown LA be affordable for someone like myself - blue collar, single, no kids, no car and not looking for any frills? I want to live downtown but I don't need all the luxurious amenities, and so many big cities' downtowns today have two kinds of housing: $2000 studios for the ultra rich, or a cot at the Salvation Army. I'd like to see more of 'the basics' for those of us who enjoy urban living but aren't rich enough to afford the outrageous rents with these new McHighrises.
On Spring Street there are a handful of buildings with studios in the $1400 - $1700 range. Then there are the affordable housing buildings for much less.

------------------------------

IMAGES FROM JULY 10TH, 2014

Wilshire Grand by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Its gaining altitude quickly.

Downtown Skyline from Olympic & Main by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Onni 9th & Olive by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Onni 9th & Olive 2 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Onni 9th & Olive 3 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Onni 9th & Olive by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

7th & Spring CVS Buildout by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

8th & Francisco Parking Structure by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

8th & Grand by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Some images of this area before it completely transforms.
8th & Olive 2 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

8th & Olive by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Commercial Exchange ground floor 2 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Commercial Exchange ground floor by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

9th & Olive by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Big Gay Ice Cream Buildout 9th & Broadway by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Broadway Streetscape 2 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Broadway Streetscape 3 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Broadway Streetscape by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Olympic & Olive 7 Story by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

South Park (Down Olympic) by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Verve Coffee Buildout at 9th & Main by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Southwestern Edge Of Downtown by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Fig @ 7th Parking Structure & Marriots by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Wilshire Grand Core by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Wilshire Grand - Wilshire & Fig by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Last edited by ConstructDTLA; Jul 12, 2014 at 2:39 AM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 10:20 PM

Some Metropolis views:

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 10:43 PM

This is a great thread... thank you so much for taking and sharing all these photos! Those last two you posted really hit home how different that stretch is going to look in the not to distant future. Exciting times in DTLA

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
8th & Hope demonstrating how well a parking podium can look. Incredible that 1 block away is the worst podium in Downtown LA (WATERMARKE @ 9th/Flower).

8th & Hope by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Notice the (once large) parking lot in the middle-left of frame. Currently under construction is a parking structure (with retail). Likely this month a 33-story will break ground in the space fronting 9th.
Yup. The photo of the 4 story annex[? not sure what to call it] which you posted earlier looks very classic despite the fact that its a parking garage. Wood Partners, the developer, is out of Atlanta but with west coast offices in Irvine and Seattle. Their work is oddly hit or miss.........some projects are pretty good and some stink up the joint:

http://woodpartners.com/gallery

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcal View Post
Based upon the most current renderings 8th and Grand, as monolithic it is, may prove to be a very interesting centerpiece for neighborhood activity. On that note Hunter, you show photos of various developments with still (after many years on the market ) vacancies. It makes me wonder if the planning department's philosophy of ground floor retail is not creating a saturated retail environment. I agree that it diminishes what is considered "dead space" which creates an unpleasant experience for the pedestrian, but much can be done to design the lower floor of a development that is pleasant for the pedestrian and doesn't necessarily have to have retail. I don't object to convenience retail in strategic nodes in South Park, but when I see retail planned for the ground floor of every development I think that is retail that could be located on Broadway, 7th, or Hill, streets that have so much underutilized (read "swapmeet") or vacant space. Its seems as if there is potential retail energy which is being diverted from these critical thoroughfares. With new development, I say let the developers decide what is best for the ground floor of their developments. Otherwise, if the city demands (as it does) it, it will more than likely stay vacant for a long time and end up costing the developer money. By the way, I think that any pedestrian walking past a chronically vacant retail space, would find that to be an unpleasant experience. Group, what are your thoughts?
A couple of reactions to your comments.........first there was a lot of retail overhang from the recession that is just now getting leased. And you have to remember that LA was late to the party.......employment growth didn't really start to pick up in LA until late last year. Now that the LA economy is starting to fire on all cylinders or at least most of them, you will start to see the retail fill.

Most of these retail spaces are smaller and are intended for service retail like dry cleaners or fedex. They will fill as the apts fill. Plus, the more retail there is the more it will draw out the office worker who probably didn't bother to go out for lunch when his choices were a trashy Macy's and a 7/11.

What will make DT really interesting is the retail spaces in the older bldgs. The more creative retail will not be able to afford the new retail so it will migrate or start up in the older bldgs. Eventually, you will be walking along a street in DTLA passing by stuff like CVS Drugs and running into a funky shop selling pre WW I watches.......not really but you know what I mean.

Quote:
I do find it very unpleasant walking by vacant retail, but I'm an exception - I doubt most people even notice honestly.
And yeah, I walk a lot and need to be entertained. Vacant spaces don't entertain.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
I didn't realize the planters were starting to be delivered! Apparently I have not gotten out enough lately. Honestly these planters make the whole thing look a million times better. Doesn't hurt that this stretch has trees, though -- the rest of the street is surprisingly barren in spots.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMojo View Post
I didn't realize the planters were starting to be delivered! Apparently I have not gotten out enough lately. Honestly these planters make the whole thing look a million times better. Doesn't hurt that this stretch has trees, though -- the rest of the street is surprisingly barren in spots.
Yes they look very nice right now. The entire project is about to backfire once furniture is put out. Plus the homeless like to use the planters as toilets.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 7:34 PM

Nice work, as always!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 6:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrighamYen View Post

btw, your pics of the site of the metropolis proj shows how it always helps to have additional views of a location.

The proj's webcam makes the graded area, viewed from the south looking north, seem larger than it actually is, while your pics of the property as seen from francisco street indicates there remains plenty of uncleared parking lot from 8th st southward.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 8:56 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Wonderful thread, Hunter!

Enough with the freaking Broadway dress rehearsal. They need to get started on the real thing already.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 12:53 PM

Thanks for all the photos there great you were very timely with 8th and Olive images another pocket of change coming. I was happy to hear the Commercial Ex. bldg. was purchased the wonderful building was always on the list of top eye soars. With the influx of new residents in this area and if the business conditions remain as they are what do you see happening along 8th between Olive and Hill? property values for the Olive and Bristol Hotels Garland and Vault corner have to increasing rapidly. It's going to be interesting to watch. Thanks again,your photos make it possible.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldor120la View Post
Thanks for all the photos there great you were very timely with 8th and Olive images another pocket of change coming. I was happy to hear the Commercial Ex. bldg. was purchased the wonderful building was always on the list of top eye soars. With the influx of new residents in this area and if the business conditions remain as they are what do you see happening along 8th between Olive and Hill? property values for the Olive and Bristol Hotels Garland and Vault corner have to increasing rapidly. It's going to be interesting to watch. Thanks again,your photos make it possible.
Now we need the Garfield building on 8th brought back to life! Probably my favorite building that sits empty. It was designed by Claud Beelman, the same architect who designed the Eastern Columbia.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Wonderful thread, Hunter!

Enough with the freaking Broadway dress rehearsal. They need to get started on the real thing already.
Thanks! I agree a real deal would be nicer - or even better a sidewalk extension on Spring Street where there is already lots of foot traffic and not enough sidewalk space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldor120la View Post
Thank you! I think 8th between Olive & Hill will be a nice stretch of little restaurants (Pelicola, Golden Golpher, Colori, and more), specially once the big corner space at Union Lofts (8th/Hill) is picked up by a high-end restaurant. I believe I heard The Vault was going to upgrade their buildings appearance... That would be sad, tear the piece of shit down (that replaced a real masterpiece - the RKO Hill Street Theatre) and send the club away.

Commercial Exchange Building 1935 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

You can see down Hill to the RKO Hill Street & Garfield on the right.
7th & Hill 1931 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA/OCman View Post
Now we need the Garfield building on 8th brought back to life! Probably my favorite building that sits empty. It was designed by Claud Beelman, the same architect who designed the Eastern Columbia.
Beelman designed so many iconic buildings throughout Central LA. Garfield is definitely my #1 (or 2 behind Merrit at 8th/Broadway) vacant building Downtown. I've tried many times to get in contact with the owners to no avail. There was a plan back in 2008 or so to turn it into condos, but that completely fell apart - no news since then.

Garfield Building 1931 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

8th & Broadway Merrit Building 1916 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

(Notice the RKO on the left)
8th & Hill 1930s & 2012 by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 7:12 PM

I can't believe how beautiful the Merrit Building used to be. I hope some day we will see the lower floors brought back to what they used to be. Can you imagine it looking like that again with decent ground floor retail? Hopefully the May Co renovation will inspire others to get their act together.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA/OCman View Post
I can't believe how beautiful the Merrit Building used to be. I hope some day we will see the lower floors brought back to what they used to be. Can you imagine it looking like that again with decent ground floor retail? Hopefully the May Co renovation will inspire others to get their act together.
It will DEFINITELY look excellent again.

In my mind there are 2 big questions with every Broadway building:

Will we get an idiot tenant who leaves the building filthy and rundown (ACE HOTEL) to keep the 'cool, hip, grunge' look or will we get an excellent tenant interested in actually Bringing Back Broadway?

It's just a matter of time. When I moved Downtown I mistakenly thought the critical mass / restoration madness time would be 2014/2015, I now believe its 2017/2020.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 3:58 PM

I forgot when talking of changes to expect along 8th between Olive/Hill that the Vault sits on the RKO Hill St. site and downtown movie palaces were one of my main interests to begin with, along with the LA's early streetcars. It seems you lose some, and win a few along the way It's funny what bothers me, with so many things going on are little thing like the neon damage at UO the slowness of cleaning up and repairing at least the theater buildings along Broadway and how the new streetscape will work out. Your right about the big push is sill a few years away.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 4:22 PM

Quote:
It will DEFINITELY look excellent again.

In my mind there are 2 big questions with every Broadway building:

Will we get an idiot tenant who leaves the building filthy and rundown (ACE HOTEL) to keep the 'cool, hip, grunge' look or will we get an excellent tenant interested in actually Bringing Back Broadway?

It's just a matter of time. When I moved Downtown I mistakenly thought the critical mass / restoration madness time would be 2014/2015, I now believe its 2017/2020.
Hang in there Hunter, I don't know the exact time frame but I believe your vision (the same as shared by many others) will happen. I think I am like you when I look at a building which is truly incredible lie mortally wounded by time and neglect, I can't help but think about its past, and how the people of that time interacted with the structure as it was an integral part of the city. You mention recently the RKO Hillstreet theatre, well I have books which show the theatre just before demolition and fronted with a sign which proclaims a new 40 story building to take its place (which of course never happened). I think of that theater, the Atlantic Richfield tower, the Victorian Windsor Hotel (all demolished in the early to late sixties) and of course many others, and think what in the Hell where they thinking? Oh and by the way, as far as the 'cool, hip, grunge' look taken on by Ace Hotel (and hopefully not others), it should more accurately be called the "cheap-out" look.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos