February 3
PARTNERSHIP WITH LIVE NATION
http://www.quebecor.com/en/comm/new-...n-entertainmen

April 2,
STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIP WITH AEG
http://www.quebecor.com/en/comm/spor...bec-city-arena

now AEG is hiring for Qc :
http://aegworldwide.m.teamworkonline...aspx?c=122&l=6

Tomorrow we will know who will buy the name of the new building (Pepsi, Labatt, Canadian Tire, Desjardins, other ?????) :
http://www.marketwired.com/press-rel....a-2006770.htm

Everything's in place for the NHL !
Come on Gary, make it happen

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 1:51 PM
613er

The Colisée Pepsi looks like a giant barn. Will it be of any use after they open the new arena?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
The Colisée Pepsi looks like a giant barn. Will it be of any use after they open the new arena?
it will probably be demolished, the final decision is coming very soon.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 2:21 PM

I'd say the new arena sparks some new development. Bars / restaurants / hotels / shopping some denser residential development. I would say it'll come down. Especially if the NHL comes back to town. Which IMO I hope it does. More Canadian teams the better

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 2:39 PM

I don't mean to be a troll here but I cant even hold it back anymore. That arena is the ugliest thing ive ever seen. I cannot believe somebody designed this and someone else said...yep! That's our arena! It doesn't help that it's just a big round sphere in the middle of nothing. I cant believe Quebec would squander this opportunity. WHY IN GODS NAME would they put a white finish on it? Even a chrome would have made a world of difference.it already looks 30 years old and its not even finished yet.

I know I'm gonna get alot of hate for this comment I just find myself in awe that that's the best design they could come up with. And the location? are you serious with that? I'm sure theirs a better option than where it sits. just a disaster. Why wouldn't you put it where it could help some businesses or give your fans a place to eat after. It's the new business of hockey. This whole thing just seems so silly to me.
who builds round arenas anymore? I've kept pretty quite because any resistance on anything Quebec usually gets pretty fired up. But this is just my opinion

Look at the difference in the 2. I know glass isn't the best choice in Quebec climate but it gives you an idea of what could have been with a shiny chrome look

Last edited by Oilkountry; Apr 6, 2015 at 3:39 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 3:35 PM

I love the exterior of the Sprint Center. One of the prettiest modern ones I've seen.

I don't hate the Quebec arena as much as you, but I agree I wish they used more glass/modern looking materials. It will age similar to Copps Coliseum IMO.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post
I don't mean to be a troll here but I cant even hold it back anymore. That arena is the ugliest thing ive ever seen. I cannot believe somebody designed this and someone else said...yep! That's our arena! It doesn't help that it's just a big round sphere in the middle of nothing. I cant believe Quebec would squander this opportunity. WHY IN GODS NAME would they put a white finish on it? Even a chrome would have made a world of difference.it already looks 30 years old and its not even finished yet.

I know im gonna get alot of hate for this comment I just find myself in awe that thats the best design they could come up with.

Nah, you're not the only who thinks that. I've mentioned it a few times.
The panels/sidiing makes it look cheap and very dated. The original renders made me think it would look much better than it currently does.
And yes, the Sprint Center is what I compare it to most - because of the similar shape. A world of difference in quality between the 2 exteriors.

I don't know much about the location, so my comments on it are from an un-informed outside perspective... but wasn't there a better location closer to the downtown area? Something that would be very convenient for people to get there by foot? Not a fan of plopping an arena in the middle of nowhere.

From the picture shown earlier in the thread, the inside does look very nice. It looks like it's lighter and airier than other arenas I've seen. Feels fresh as opposed to other arenas that give a darker cave-like feel.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
It will age similar to Copps Coliseum IMO.
The problem is at least with Copps at the time it was built (1984) it looked good and then looked dated by the early/mid-90s. You don't have to wait for time to pass for the Quebec arena to look dated (exterior-wise) - because they gave it a dated look right off the bat. It would be like someone constructing a new building today using brutalist architecture.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
The problem is at least with Copps at the time it was built (1984) it looked good and then looked dated by the early/mid-90s. You don't have to wait for time to pass for the Quebec arena to look dated (exterior-wise) - because they gave it a dated look right off the bat. It would be like someone constructing a new building today using brutalist architecture.
Neo-Brutalism sounds intriguing... Brutalism Revival! Any aspiring architect on here has some work to do, make it your revolutionary idea!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix19 View Post
it will probably be demolished, the final decision is coming very soon.
Think they're gunna hold off on demolishing it until after the 2026 winter olympic bid.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post
I don't mean to be a troll here but I cant even hold it back anymore
I think you said it many times........ so many times that some may think you are trolling.

Quote:
who builds round arenas anymore?
Hmmm.. Vegas ?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 4:14 PM

I wasn't sure when I saw this image the first time , but now, after seeing for real, I love it.

source : http://www.journaldequebec.com/2015/...itheatre-mardi

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 5:01 PM
Starring as himself

It's fine. An arena would detract from Quebec's downtown, not add to it. Unless you're trying to achieve a downtown revitalization objective, which Quebec has no need of, it makes sense to have a big sports facility in a place with easy highway access and lots of parking. I hope that the Nordiques are back again soon and that maybe the CFL won't be too far in the future for Quebec as well.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
It's fine. An arena would detract from Quebec's downtown, not add to it. Unless you're trying to achieve a downtown revitalization objective, which Quebec has no need of, it makes sense to have a big sports facility in a place with easy highway access and lots of parking. I hope that the Nordiques are back again soon and that maybe the CFL won't be too far in the future for Quebec as well.
It made sense in the 1970's.

Now it makes sense to have a big sports facility close to the subway, commuter rail, bus lines, street cars..... like the ACC.

Urban sprawl and massive parking lots and everyone driving isn't a good thing.

Having said that, I have no problem with the arena's location. It's not like its a situation in Ottawa where its miles from the city limit. It's well within the city proper and has built up development around it.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix19 View Post
I wasn't sure when I saw this image the first time , but now, after seeing for real, I love it.

source : http://www.journaldequebec.com/2015/...itheatre-mardi
Same thing for me. I wasn't sure at first but I like the building more and more. It looks pretty unique (it doesn't look like all the other glass arenas) and will be easy to recognize.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 5:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
A downtown arena would be preferable if there was excellent public transit access, but QC does not have LRT or a subway.

Also, given the historical ambience of downtown QC, I really don't think a modernist arena would work.

In this particular case, a suburban location is just fine........

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 5:15 PM

The arena is not even 4km from downtown. You can access it by car in less than 10 minutes from Chateau Frontenac and 20 minutes by bus. Definitely better than Ottawa's Canadian Tire Arena.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 5:45 PM
Haru Urara

It's not that far from Downtown. There's no issue regarding the placement of the arena here. It's a 10 minute drive tops, and quicker for the larger number of people who don't live in Downtown QC.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 6:12 PM

mtlurb

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada