HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 7:22 AM
Californication

With Apple's new focus into Music, having a store with a 900 seat venue is interesting.

But the Tower Theaters is a Historical Building, with all the limitations attached, I don't think it's Apple's first choice.

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 7:29 AM

[QUOTE=BrianMojo;7441384]Not really. They've already varied it up for the sake of fitting a couple historic buildings.

^^Not to mention Grand Central Station in NY. That one looks similar to the Parisian store. Definitely a historical building.

Old Posted May 15, 2016, 6:11 PM
LADevelopmentMap.com

Ambitious plans — I'm going to combine the DTLA and Hollywood development maps and add the rest of LA including West LA, WeHo, Santa Monica, Westwood, The Corridor, Playa del Rey, K-town, Culver, Miracle Mile, etc. Eventually I'd like to add all of LA County but that will require some help.

I'm not sure, can you add admins on Google Maps? Would be pretty cool if we had several people making updates.

Old Posted May 15, 2016, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastSupertall View Post
Ambitious plans — I'm going to combine the DTLA and Hollywood development maps and add the rest of LA including West LA, WeHo, Santa Monica, Westwood, The Corridor, Playa del Rey, K-town, Culver, Miracle Mile, etc. Eventually I'd like to add all of LA County but that will require some help.

I'm not sure, can you add admins on Google Maps? Would be pretty cool if we had several people making updates.
You can have multiple admins in google maps. I can do Burbank, North Hollywood and Glendale. And maybe some others too

Old Posted May 15, 2016, 6:48 PM
LADevelopmentMap.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kill 'em View Post
You can have multiple admins in google maps. I can do Burbank, North Hollywood and Glendale. And maybe some others too
That would be fantastic. I'll take WeHo, Miracle Mile and possibly Beverly Hills. DTLA and Hollywood are covered. Would be great to get someone on Santa Monica. This is probably a convo for the other LA thread.

Old Posted May 15, 2016, 7:25 PM
life is good

They are dissassembling the scaffolding at the 4th and Broadway mess finally! I asked the workers and they said they were demoing the whole building but who knows. You can see all the retail bays etc now.

I have photos will upload later if i have time

Old Posted May 15, 2016, 9:01 PM

Tuck Hotel opening late summer

I find this 14-room small hotel a very interesting development. I hope we see more of this, especially along Broadway. I have stayed in these "pensione" type places in Europe and since there is so much odd space in the historic core, I would think this model would do very well. Having a restaurant/bar in the retail space will also create more street activity.

http://www.ladowntownnews.com/news/t...e3672e354.html

Old Posted May 15, 2016, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA/OCman View Post
I find this 14-room small hotel a very interesting development. I hope we see more of this, especially along Broadway. I have stayed in these "pensione" type places in Europe and since there is so much odd space in the historic core, I would think this model would do very well. Having a restaurant/bar in the retail space will also create more street activity.

http://www.ladowntownnews.com/news/t...e3672e354.html
It reminds of the movie Big, where Tom Hanks stays in that little hotel in Times Square I think right after he becomes big.

Old Posted May 15, 2016, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMojo View Post
Not really. They've already varied it up for the sake of fitting a couple historic buildings.
It’s not about the occupying of historic buildings which makes it a departure. Paris and London locations were already high-end prime real-estate, already primed for an high-end occupant without or without Apple.

It’s the type of historic space Tower Theatre is, which is a very darkly gothic, decayed glamour Baroque-style ornateness that focuses your direction onto a main stage. Theaters are naturally dark, intimate space. And then you have the upper balcony which remains unused if they can’t find a way to remove the seats and level the sloped floor. With historic buildings like the examples above, very little was changed. You can paint and change the flooring and repair what’s there. You have to respect the historic space.
So if they outfit Tower Theatre, it isn't going to be a dramatic buildout, which is why the space is strange for an Apple store, even with a ton of lighting.

Last edited by ocman; May 15, 2016 at 11:18 PM.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 4:31 AM

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 4:34 PM

The Broad launching a film and entertainment series this summer, http://www.ladowntownnews.com/arts_a...a68cf9b2b.html

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 1:06 PM

AECOM has installed their Logo on top of 1 Cal Plaza, is this the first time in its History of ever having a logo atop it? Also, the new penthouse level at Paul Hastings tower has all of its new glass completed and is finishing installing the outer border around the glass

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 4:57 PM
LADevelopmentMap.com

AMEN! Pro development piece from the LA Times: http://www.latimes.com/opinion/livab...nap-story.html

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 5:15 PM

Affordable Housing Planned in Westlake

Six-story building with 76 residential units and 6,000 square feet of ground-floor commercial space.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkao View Post
With Apple's new focus into Music, having a store with a 900 seat venue is interesting.

But the Tower Theaters is a Historical Building, with all the limitations attached, I don't think it's Apple's first choice.
Would be interesting that rather than being an Apple store, it's the first Beats Music Store (+Apple Music)

Thats the biggest reason I can see them wanting a theater. To actually use the theater for Beats and Apple Music related events.

Also +1 for the comment about Apple only entering buildings they control being bs

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 1:14 AM

It certainly feels exciting to have so much going on. I'll be headed to Downtown tomorrow for another mega-update. We're due for one. I'll be getting photos of Circa, Oceanwide, Metropolis, TEN50, 8th & Olive, Onni 50 story, and Broadway palace. I'll grab a few photos of the 6 stories as I walk around. Gosh, does anyone remember when all we had going up was the 22 story Marriott? I'm glad we've moved past that. Even if we don't get anything new for awhile the projects we currently have will transform the skyline immensely. Cross your fingers for 888 S Hope and 4th & Hill/Broadway

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
It certainly feels exciting to have so much going on. I'll be headed to Downtown tomorrow for another mega-update. We're due for one. I'll be getting photos of Circa, Oceanwide, Metropolis, TEN50, 8th & Olive, Onni 50 story, and Broadway palace. I'll grab a few photos of the 6 stories as I walk around. Gosh, does anyone remember when all we had going up was the 22 story Marriott? I'm glad we've moved past that. Even if we don't get anything new for awhile the projects we currently have will transform the skyline immensely. Cross your fingers for 888 S Hope and 4th & Hill/Broadway
Remember back when literally nothing was being built and new restaurants opening were the only updates we could get?

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spantik View Post
Remember back when literally nothing was being built and new restaurants opening were the only updates we could get?
Yea I feel like I'm taking this boom for granted. I remember back in the mid 2000's with Evo, Luma, Hanover, etc...I vividly remember the pure hatred that was spewed towards the Watermarke Towers podium cover on this forum. (Now look at how many podiums we have!). Then the late 2000's came along and I would log on for weeks to find no projects u/c, proposals, etc. NOTHING! The Grand Avenue project was the only thing that kept my interest for a while, but now look at what a hopeless mess that development has become!

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 5:15 AM

Is it just me, or are things slowing down?

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Is it just me, or are things slowing down?
Still a lot of material coming in to downtown

this south view will change so much in few years.

Video Link

Last edited by cesar90; May 18, 2016 at 6:32 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations