HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
^ i think rsbear is referring to le corbusier's "towers in the park" - large buildings surrounded by dead space, ostensibly providing relief from the city (right?) but in fact killing the pedestrian environment
Bingo! And thank you.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 5:05 AM

Thanks for the clarification....If, in fact, this is Dubai, I doubt if there is much pedestrian traffic anyhow because of the heat.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 5:32 AM

This isn't a Corbu tower in a park. It's a gaudy Dubai/Vegas mega structure and is probably on top of a shopping center or water park. Regardless, this structure is irrelevant. What it demonstrates is the use of energy production.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 8:21 AM
'Can Draw It'

Original question: Why can't we have buildings like this in Portland?

I don't think it's a matter of we can't. We just don't! I don't care too much for serious "flash" but somewhere in the middle would be nice. I mean, Portland is starting to get recognized (well, maybe even past "starting") as an artist's city. With art comes risk. By that (speaking from an artist) I don't mean live or die or rich or poor risk, but the kind of risk that is stepping outside of the box so to speak.

It doesn't have to involve looking like a sore thumb next to the rest of the skyline. And yes, I agree that our ground level pedestrian friendly city is important and should be taken into account. But P-town, for as "artsy," "free-thinking," "left of center," and the list goes on (think: keep portland weird) sure shrivels up in the nutsack when it comes to taking a little bit of a step (baby steps is all it takes) beyond the box of bland in the skyline department.

Funny, because I still love our skyline, and feel "at home" especially when I'm going west over the Fremont bridge.

Nothing wrong with a little razzle dazzle though, just find that middle ground. SOWA is probably the place. Time will tell.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 12:30 AM

Yes, that is the Lighthouse Tower of Dubai. I agree with Mudshark, Portland could use some 'flash' in the skyline. Unfortunately I don't have that much faith in the PDC to approve such designs.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 12:39 AM

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 1:24 AM

I would like to see something like this...

TIANJIN CHINA ‘PILE OF BOXES’

renderings from http://www.inhabitat.com/2007/05/17/...pile-of-boxes/

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 7:18 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Just let Sienna get some more stuff down in Portland. That'll shake things up a bit! They're the guys that designed the Cascade Tower that never got built (Lloyd Center).

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Just let Sienna get some more stuff down in Portland. That'll shake things up a bit! They're the guys that designed the Cascade Tower that never got built (Lloyd Center).
...add the Allegro as part of Sienna's "never built in Portland" list.

Our northern neighbors new proposed 660 ft tower makes the PAW look very conservative:

Last edited by NJD; Apr 23, 2008 at 5:35 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 5:24 PM

^^^Why doesn't that happen here?! I know everyone here talks about portlands street-level activity and how that is more important than buildings but damn, I would love to see some spectacularly designed, TALL building like the ones above in ptown. I suppose sometime before I'm old and gray there might be one built.

Old Posted May 16, 2008, 11:20 PM

new apple store in boston photos by kznyc2k

more: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show....php?t=1511867

Old Posted May 17, 2008, 8:19 PM
Bombshell Vintage

Personally I agree with everyone who said street-level is most important. I think that the quality of most new buildings in the Pearl and in SoWa is very high, and Portland is lucky to have architecture firms that do such good work. As for the flash, I couldn't care less. All I would like to see is a little more variety in height between buildings downtown. We don't need supertalls, and I would actually hate to even see a Seattle-style skyline in Portland. But we do need to change the damn 22-story boxes with spandrels and mirrored glass lining the downtown riverfront. It's such a flat front for our city that I don't even like looking at it.

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 2:00 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by realm0854 View Post
Personally I agree with everyone who said street-level is most important. I think that the quality of most new buildings in the Pearl and in SoWa is very high, and Portland is lucky to have architecture firms that do such good work. As for the flash, I couldn't care less. All I would like to see is a little more variety in height between buildings downtown. We don't need supertalls, and I would actually hate to even see a Seattle-style skyline in Portland. But we do need to change the damn 22-story boxes with spandrels and mirrored glass lining the downtown riverfront. It's such a flat front for our city that I don't even like looking at it.
While I do disagree some about the quality of many of our buildings in Portland, when it comes to our attention to street level, it is amazing. I hate much of the architecture in the Pearl, but I cannot say anything bad about the area when I am walking around in it because it is designed very well to get people to want to walk around there.

I would love to see us take a bold move forward with sustainable architecture. I think that is where we should start getting flashy with the design.

As for that Apple store in Boston, that is just amazing, I love the honesty in the structure. It isnt trying to hide anything, it is just trying to let the materials do what they need to do for the loads. This is what I wanted the Ladd Tower to be like at the base. Could you imagine being in the park blocks and looking over at a base like that. It would almost disappear in the light through the trees making the building seem as if it isnt really there. Instead, they are building a big giant piece of crap with a good amount of street level activity.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 5:22 PM
Well designed mixed use

Better Architecture in PDX?

From Today's Willy Week
http://wweek.com/editorial/3503/11890/

Building Block

America’s most lauded architecture critic loves Portland. Just not its buildings.

BY MIKE THELIN

“Ewwww,” moaned Paul Goldberger as his tour guide pointed out the van window at the bland Wells Fargo Center, Portland’s tallest building. “I kind of have an affection for that building,” confessed one of his seatmates, local architecture critic Randy Gragg. “It’s like the squirrelly lamp in your living room.”

“I understand the affection,” Goldberger countered, “it’s just a very, very big lamp.”

Goldberger, a sharp, affable New Yorker in his late 50s, is one of America’s foremost architecture critics. Since the early 1970s—first for The New York Times and, in 1997, switching to pen New Yorker column “The Sky Line”—the Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist has been a respected voice for great buildings and strong neighborhoods.

Last Thursday he was at the University of Oregon’s new Old Town campus to deliver an evening lecture. Earlier that day, a pack of locals were entrusted with the job of showing him around. Goldberger rode shotgun while Ankrom Moisan Associated Architects principal Jeff Hamilton played official tour guide with Gragg. (I was jammed in the back seats with UO Journalism prof Al Stavitsky and architecture-school dean Frances Bronet.) Windows fogged, quarters were tight. I could feel the keys in Stavitsky’s pocket imprinting my leg, but I didn’t mind. You don’t often have a chance to pick the brain of a man considered one of the country’s best authorities on buildings and cities.

The excursion took us through Old Town, jetting past rows of historic buildings that Goldberger described as “wonderful,” until we paused at the intersection of Northwest Davis Street and 4th Avenue. “That surface lot is terrible,” said Goldberger of the parking lot that scars Old Town’s epicenter. When Gragg mentioned that the barren lot could soon become home to a gigantic Uwajimaya grocery store, Goldberger sounded his approval.

“This parkway is just so beautiful,” noted Goldberger 10 minutes later as we drove along the South Park Blocks, past the home of the Wednesday farmers market, the melancholy statue of Lincoln, the Schnitzer Concert Hall and Pietro Belluschi’s Portland Art Museum.

Throughout the tour of downtown, the Pearl District and the rest of Portland’s west side, Goldberger heaped praise on our active streets, ample public transit, and urban feel despite our small size. But of all the positive accolades about Portland and its aging landmarks, Goldberger had curiously little to say about Portland’s buildings, particularly any built recently.

This could be because Portland builds great neighborhoods, not notable architecture. Not since 1982, when Michael Graves unveiled the ill-fated Portland Building—that beribboned gift-box monstrosity on which the statue Portlandia is perched like a gaudy hood ornament—has the city tried to create anything of note.

In fact, of the hundreds of buildings we passed in the city’s central core, there was only one Goldberger wanted to stop to see: Belluschi’s Commonwealth Building. Built in 1948, the 13-story structure at Southwest 6th Avenue and Stark Street is credited as one of the first glass-box towers ever built. It doesn’t stand out much today among its modern peers, but when it was built, its aluminum sheath and flush curtain wall were about 20 years ahead of its time. Inside, a mural by the architect is plastered on a high wall. It’s a minimal and playful collage of red rectangles, yellow blobs and a blue swoosh on a stark white background. “It’s just lovely,” Goldberger remarked.

“Coming here to talk about the meaning and the physical form of cities in our time seems a little like a Catholic missionary going to Rome, or a liberal Democratic politician campaigning on the Upper West Side of Manhattan,” Goldberger told the 200 or so admirers who gathered for his lecture later that evening. “It’s a form of preaching to the converted.”

Later, he referenced Portland’s rep as the “anti-Houston”—we’re a city where planners start with the premise that streets are more important than buildings, and that quality of life is more important than quantity of growth. The audience, filled with Portland planning and academic types, loved hearing that. They’d heard it before.

The Portland story Goldberger applauds is indeed a wonderful tale of urban planning, but it’s also the same one we’ve been telling for decades. Portland shouldn’t have to choose between vital streets and good buildings. Great buildings, like Seattle’s Space Needle or Beijing’s Bird’s Nest, help a city create a reference point to the outside world, and serve as an inspiration to its residents. Great architecture should be essential, no less important than museums or libraries. Goldberger may fawn over our streetcar system and bike lanes, but Portland’s still lacking a single building that could establish the city as the global center for good design that it’s becoming. Whether it’s a permanent amphitheater on Waterfront Park or a stunning year-round home to the Portland Farmers Market, another attempt at great architecture in Portland is nearly 30 years overdue. We should invite Goldberger back—just not until we build it.

MORE: Read Paul Goldberger’s work at paulgoldberger.com.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 8:25 PM
A before E

What Goldberger loved about this city is why I ended up moving here. It was never really about the architecture, it was how the people interacted with the context of the city.

Though I do agree, Portland needs inspirational architecture, but it has to breath Portland. A year round farmers market is a great example of that. Architecture that becomes even more transparent is also another good example. Much of the great architecture I would love to see be built in this city, my only real reference I would love to see Portland take from is basically the Netherlands.

Also keep in mind, while it is great to have inspirational architecture, it is just important to have just as inspirational landscape architecture. That is actually one category Portland has been moving forward on....maybe not as progressive and experimental that I would like, but definitely moving forward.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 8:44 PM

Id like to see Portland actually develop its own architectural language that is inspired by this absolutely f*cking amazing natural environment we live in. To drop a European Box or an eastern birdsnest into Portland wouldn't work. The sights, sounds, smells and natural seasons of this region should more then be enough to inspire a new form of architecture. A buildings function in its environment should lead to a true NW form. Architects should start by getting their collective heads out of architecture books and into NW nature.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 12:40 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
Id like to see Portland actually develop its own architectural language that is inspired by this absolutely f*cking amazing natural environment we live in. To drop a European Box or an eastern birdsnest into Portland wouldn't work. The sights, sounds, smells and natural seasons of this region should more then be enough to inspire a new form of architecture. A buildings function in its environment should lead to a true NW form. Architects should start by getting their collective heads out of architecture books and into NW nature.
bingo

Have you ever read the book Toward a New Regionalism?

You should definitely give it a go. Excellent history of the Northwest's regional style, influence of Native Americans and Modernism.

Too bad more architects don't read it. Everytime I see a fake adobe California-style home in town I think of this book.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 8:06 AM

Fish Market in Istanbul

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 4:47 PM

Beautiful. Compare that to the new Saturday market design.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2008, 3:19 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
Beautiful. Compare that to the new Saturday market design.
it would be amazing having a design like this for Saturday Market, but people would freak out over the contrast to Old Town...cant have anything too tall or too stark in architecture, you know it has got to blend in the the number of parking lots currently scarring old town.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues