HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 5:57 AM
Registered Drug User

This has been done before, but here it is again: Toronto from Niagara-on-the-Lake:

By the way, I've never posted an original photo on this forum before. This is an historic first!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 7:07 AM

Is that Scarborough on the far right?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 7:19 AM
Aimless Wanderer

Or maybe it's Leaside?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 3:25 AM
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
While, Montreal can be seen from so far from the south, because of Mount Royal, it is pretty difficult to spot the skyline from the north and west (Laurentians/Lanaudiere northern Monteregie) region, though it parts of the skyline) can be seen from north of the A-15/A-640 junction in Boisbriand which is about 30-35 km from downtown.
Not sure if someone posted that but actually here's a photo from Asphalt Planet which shows the skyline from the A-15 slope just outside of Saint-Jerome. So that would be approximately 60 km to the north of downtown Montreal. Wouldn't be surprised if it can be seen at the top of some of the ski hills.

http://asphaltplanet.ca/PQ/A/15/A15L...outh_May10.jpg
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Not sure if someone posted that but actually here's a photo from Asphalt Planet which shows the skyline from the A-15 slope just outside of Saint-Jerome. So that would be approximately 60 km to the north of downtown Montreal. Wouldn't be surprised if it can be seen at the top of some of the ski hills.

Love that view. Also can make out the oratory.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
No, that's still Toronto -- at viewing distances like this, due to gravitational lensing and Toronto being the centre of the universe -- it's all just illusion.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 2:15 PM
More transit please

Quote:

You can see Downtown very clearly on a sunny day from Le Versant Golf Course in Terrebonne.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 6:31 PM
Registered User, Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by softee View Post
Or maybe it's Leaside?
I was wondering the same thing. Took me a while to figure it out, at first I thought it might of been the distillery district or Yonge/Eglinton but those two highrise nodes are accounted for just next to and behind the freighter.

Turns out its North York - the tallest building being Hullmark and the 2nd tallest just to its west is the slimier Emerald Park.

Last edited by vegeta_skyline; Aug 28, 2017 at 7:26 AM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 5:13 PM

I happened to be in Niagara-on-the-Lake this morning. I tried very hard to see the TO skyline across the lake but I couldn't see it because of the haze.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 5:50 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Probably only a few kilometres but the view from Eastern Passage to the Halifax skyline is pretty nice:

Source

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 10:45 PM

Found a new pic showing Montreal from 100+ kms away in Fairfax, Vermont. It's shown on a website advertising a cottage for sale, and one of the selling points is a 'spectacular view of Montreal'.

According to google fairfax is 127km away. This would seem to indicate Montreal can be viewed from several different areas in the green mountains, albeit on a minuscule scale.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 10:57 PM

Impressive, you even see the crane on the Marriott.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 12:30 AM
You talkin' to me?

You can see downtown Halifax from this spot about 10km away. As far as I know its the furthest you can be without losing complete sight. For some reason it's hard to get good vantage points from a great distance.

Interesting note: To the very right in this image is the Magazine Hill Ammunition Depot. it blew up in 1945 due to a barge which had caught fire in the basin and exploded, causing a chain reaction. The onslaught of exploding shells and ammunition continued for over 24 hours, and they still find unexploded ordinance in the woods around the depot today. It's often refered to as Halifax's second explosion.

Last edited by Wishblade; Jul 13, 2015 at 12:49 AM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 3:10 AM

Someone needs to hike to the summit of Mt Rainier (>4300m) and take a photo of Burnaby's Metrotown (280km away). Precisely, they will see the top 5 or so floors of Sovereign and Metroplace (anything over 250m above sea level)

It has a good chance of being the furthest a highrise can be seen from any point on earth. Metrotown/Mt Rainier lucked out by having the horizon point from both ends over a body of water. I added the qualifier "highrise" because there are some villages in India and Bangladesh that are further than that but within the 330km horizon of Mount Everest. Everywhere else in the world, the are obstructions within that distance.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 3:38 AM

Is the Vancouver skyline visible from anywhere in the U.S.? There is American land that is so close but I'm wondering if it is positioned correctly to see the skyline? And what about from American waters?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 10:35 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Is the Vancouver skyline visible from anywhere in the U.S.? There is American land that is so close but I'm wondering if it is positioned correctly to see the skyline? And what about from American waters?
I think I saw it from the ferry to Victoria, which is passing through US waters.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 3:54 PM
Construction Enthusiast

You should be able to see the Vancouver skyline from Point Roberts, I would think.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
I added the qualifier "highrise" because there are some villages in India and Bangladesh that are further than that but within the 330km horizon of Mount Everest. Everywhere else in the world, the are obstructions within that distance.
330 km is pretty insane. One would be able to see both Montreal and Toronto if there was a Mount Everest in Ottawa.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 5:17 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
330 km is pretty insane. One would be able to see both Montreal and Toronto if there was a Mount Everest in Ottawa.

That's further than Calgary to Edmonton. Well now I at least know they wouldn't have to reach Everest heights to see each other.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
There are several mountains in the Bellingham area that you should make it possible to see Vancouver (or at least parts of Burnaby) on a clear day and through some good binoculars. Even further, one should be able to see Vancouver also from the top of Olympic Mountains and Mount Rainier, as indicated. But the weather needs to super clear.

I have seen a photo of Mount Rainier being visible from top of Vancouver's North Shore Mountains which are over 200km apart. So also the opposite should be possible, but naturally anything smaller than a mountain will look tiny from such a great distance. But it is possible.

You just need one of these.

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada