HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 5:33 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I looked for that. Do you have a link?

If it's a gas tax, then I'd tell my fellow Republican to screw off. That's our money to begin with.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 5:50 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I looked for that. Do you have a link?

If it's a gas tax, then I'd tell my fellow Republican to screw off. That's our money to begin with.
It started as part of the Revenue Act of 1932, and is currently 18.4 cents per gallon. It hasn't been raised since 1993, and, frankly, needs to jump to 30 cents and then be indexed to inflation.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Where does the FTA get their money?
It is mostly gas tax money, but the FTA is also funded through annual appropriations in the federal budget process. There have been additional federal funds made available every year since at least 2008. I imagine each year there is haggling about how much money the FTA is going to get, but there is not much reporting about it in the press. It probably has a lot bi-partisan support since it represents bringing home the bacon to multiple Congressional districts both Republican and Democratic.

http://itepnet.org/pdf/pb43fedgastax.pdf

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 7:41 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
It is mostly gas tax money, but the FTA is also funded through annual appropriations in the federal budget process. There have been additional federal funds made available every year since at least 2008. I imagine each year there is haggling about how much money the FTA is going to get, but there is not much reporting about it in the press. It probably has a lot bi-partisan support since it represents bringing home the bacon to multiple Congressional districts both Republican and Democratic.

http://itepnet.org/pdf/pb43fedgastax.pdf
It doesn't have bi-partisan support any longer. It used to through the earmark process, but since that's been largely done away with it's harder to build bi-partisan support and that's why there's been budgetary shortfalls in transportation funding more often lately than historically.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 9:16 PM

Okay so downtown on Cesar Chavez westbound they installed some signs that look like electronic traffic restriction signs at I think Cesar Chavez and Congress, and one just before I think... Brazos?

Anyway, does anybody know what those are? I'd go down and check, myself but I'm currently in Tunisia. I feel like they're probably "No left turn" signs that can be turned on when Congress is closed for events.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digatisdi View Post
okay so downtown on cesar chavez westbound they installed some signs that look like electronic traffic restriction signs at i think cesar chavez and congress, and one just before i think... Brazos?

Anyway, does anybody know what those are? I'd go down and check, myself but i'm currently in tunisia. I feel like they're probably "no left turn" signs that can be turned on when congress is closed for events.
sxsw

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 8:33 AM
World Traveler

Had a friend who still lives in Austin email this to me to get more voices heard on transportation matters. This is a survey for the CAMPO 2040 plan. It takes just a few minutes to fill out, so please do so if you have a bit.

www.surveymonkey.com/s/draft2040plansurvey

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 4:49 AM

The Wire

We need to get going with "The Wire" (the urban cable car/gondola proposal/idea). I actually had a dream last night in which I travelled west along and above Chavez in a gondola and then switched to a more-or-less southbound line (not parallel to any street) at a height of about 500 to 1000 feet and the views were amazing. That is I suppose one of the problems with the idea. It's on the opposite end of the choice spectrum from buses (only ride if absolutely necessary) -- so much so that people would ride it when they didn't need to go anywhere. As you might guess, reading SSP is one of the last things I do before retiring for the night.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 6:01 AM
Honored Member

Speaking of public transportation that doubles as a recreational diversion, I wonder why there aren't private entities that would be willing to construct for-profit transit systems that are designed to be so appealing and enjoyable to ride that they'd be, you know, profitable. I suppose the problem here involves the positive externalities of public transportation. Another way of looking at it is that the true cost of driving is vastly higher than the private cost. As long as we continue to subsidize driving via bad public policy and negative externalities, public transit will require public subsidies. If we could make driving cost enough, we could make it profitable for corporations to finance and build mass transit systems.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvalkan View Post
We need to get going with "The Wire" (the urban cable car/gondola proposal/idea). I actually had a dream last night in which I travelled west along and above Chavez in a gondola and then switched to a more-or-less southbound line (not parallel to any street) at a height of about 500 to 1000 feet and the views were amazing. That is I suppose one of the problems with the idea. It's on the opposite end of the choice spectrum from buses (only ride if absolutely necessary) -- so much so that people would ride it when they didn't need to go anywhere. As you might guess, reading SSP is one of the last things I do before retiring for the night.
Would everyone just stop with the damn gondolas. It just doesn't work and is never, ever going to happen.

This isn't fear of trying something new, there are just too many huge problems, some avoidable with $$ (which we don't have) and others just completely insurmountable.

They fall into 3 main categories
1) issues intrinsic to the mode
2) the US regulatory and litigation environment
3) financial

Mode:
a) Gondolas just don't work very good as a transportation system, especially one that needs to respond to variable demand. Your capacity at 5 AM is your same capacity at 8 AM is your same capacity at 5 PM is your same capacity at 11 pm (trying to take cars off the wire is almost the same as just running them empty, where do you park them, and you've now introduced an additional safety point of failure).
b) Similar to monorails, it's extremely difficult to extend routes or build them into a system (switching lines/branching is difficult).
c)huge issues with handicapped accessibility and ADA compliance
d) You _have_ to run the whole system up in the air (where it's expensive to build). With rail, you can have parts elevated and parts on the surface, and parts underground, where it most makes sense and for maximum economy.
e) trip time/distance are hugely increased (you have to go up/across/down)

Regulations and lawsuits:
f)The regulations don't exist in the US yet. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean you're free to do what you want, it means you have to wait for them to be written.
g) Also the same thing as monorails, in your mind you see this narrow thing in the sky, you don't see the emergency access/exit walkway that has the run the entire length of the thing. Monorails also need a shield running under the whole thing to catch failing parts, but _maybe_ you'd be able to get away without it.

Financial
h) as alluded to above, a system of any scale ends up being more expensive than rail, since you can't run segments along the ground where it makes sense.
i) stations are huge undertakings (elevators, etc.) $$$
j) No one is going to pay for you to build it. The feds won't give you money for it, which is a huge part of current transportation systems.

The fact that no one has ever done one, even in China where lawsuits are absent and financials are easier, should be a pretty big warning sign. Not a guarantee, but very suggestive.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novacek View Post
would everyone just stop with the damn gondolas. It just doesn't work and is never, ever going to happen.

This isn't fear of trying something new, there are just too many huge problems, some avoidable with $$ (which we don't have) and others just completely insurmountable.
thank you amen. I am so sick of hearing about it. It is never gonna happen, it is ludicrous to think it will, but nobody hear has ever listened to my many protestations along the lines of what you posted above.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 4:33 PM
Honored Member

I've listened, and I'm sure others have as well. When you present the arguments against gondolas, they appear at face value to be completely unfeasible. I used to like the idea (and still do as just a fun thing but not a serious option), but I changed my mind about it thanks to what I've read on this forum and in links that were posted here.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
I've listened, and I'm sure others have as well. When you present the arguments against gondolas, they appear at face value to be completely unfeasible. I used to like the idea (and still do as just a fun thing but not a serious option), but I changed my mind about it thanks to what I've read on this forum and in links that were posted here.
Well, I take it back then: some people have listened.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 7:41 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Ok...then what if we built a large wooden badger?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 1:05 AM

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 6:03 PM

The Mayor, City Manager, and Council Member Kitchen announced a new Traffic Congestion Action Plan this morning. You can read the press release here: http://www.austintexas.gov/article/c...on-action-plan and a more detailed, 5 page description here: http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/def...7.15_FINAL.pdf

I'm glad they are going to do a "Don't block the box" campaign. Hopefully with that and a little bit of enforcement people will stop blocking intersections and crosswalks.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 10:39 PM
Honored Member

I just saw a piece on KXAN about a protest today against the expansion of Mopac South. The group sponsoring the protest is Keep Mopac Local. Today they were specifically targeting the plan to add 4 toll lanes to the section from Cesar Chavez to 360, and there was mention in the brief story about a public meeting tonight, but I didn't catch the details. This is an interesting issue, and much more controversial (rightly so) than the expansion of north Mopac. I wish more attention would be paid to the much-easier and non-controversial completion of 183 between Manor Rd. and 45 south, not that this would do much (if anything) to affect Mopac. But it would provide a pressure relief valve for I-35.

Last edited by Tech House; Mar 30, 2015 at 10:52 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
I just saw a piece on KXAN about a protest today against the expansion of Mopac South. The group sponsoring the protest is Keep Mopac Local. Today they were specifically targeting the plan to add 4 toll lanes to the section from Cesar Chavez to 360, and there was mention in the brief story about a public meeting tonight, but I didn't catch the details. This is an interesting issue, and much more controversial (rightly so) than the expansion of north Mopac. I wish more attention would be paid to the much-easier and non-controversial completion of 183 between Manor Rd. and 45 south, not that this would do much (if anything) to affect Mopac. But it would provide a pressure relief valve for I-35.
I saw that news story. It was a really small group of whiners getting more attention than they deserve. They are typical of the anti-everything crowd that wants to close the invisible door that prevents people from moving to Austin. They are a big part of the congestion problem we have now because they all looked old enough to be a part of the same whining crowd of the 80s and 90s.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 11:18 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

They didn't want Circle C. We got Circle C.
They didn't want Bowie HS. We got Bowie HS.
They don't want Mopac South. We'll get Mopac South.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 11:33 PM
World Traveler

I wonder how many of these protestors moved to Austin in the 80s and 90s when a lot of that area was building up. A lot of folks who are against Austin's growth contributed to it over the past ten or twenty years...which paved the way for everything that we're seeing now, the good and bad. Anti-growth is only going to clog up the city, not help it "keep it's charm." People need to see the forest through the trees and realize that denser and wiser development complemented with good transportation planning (multi-faceted - which includes *some* freeways when necessary) encourages healthy neighborhoods...especially given that growth has happened and will continue to happen whether they like it or not.

Okay, done preaching to the choir now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin