HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 6, 2006, 12:29 PM
planner-sh!t disturber

I'm not kidding. I'll see if I have it lying around on my desk at work or not today and snap a couple shots -- I might have already sent it off to another department, so if I did that, I won't see it again for a few weeks. I'll check it out

Old Posted Jul 6, 2006, 1:57 PM
BANNED

Great, I was waiting for a purely residential building to break a new height barrier, if they can do it all the time in Chicago then why can't we as well. I look forward to the renderings element.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2006, 3:11 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilioo
Hey Tony, ive noticed that in the diagrams there is only one maple leaf square tower listed, so im assuming both of them will be in one diagram as one building?
Im asking because i figure its about time to do a rendering for them (I started awhile ago but got sidetracked)
no, no. Each tower has it's own database entry. Do a search or click on the proposed buildings link.

Element! Don't be a tease, SHOW US THE MONEY!

Flickr®

Old Posted Jul 6, 2006, 4:30 PM
Super duper illustrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by element103
I'm not kidding. I'll see if I have it lying around on my desk at work or not today and snap a couple shots -- I might have already sent it off to another department, so if I did that, I won't see it again for a few weeks. I'll check it out
you do realise that you are like..torturing us!!! Atleast give us an idea of what it looks like! lol

I used to be a schizphrenic, but we're okay now

My SSP diagram
http://www.skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?m15179

Old Posted Jul 6, 2006, 7:16 PM

The height is 227 metres and the plans can be reviewed at City Hall only.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2006, 9:20 PM
I am the law!

"no, no. Each tower has it's own database entry."

actually, I do believe Jared combined the two entries

Old Posted Jul 6, 2006, 9:42 PM
planner-sh!t disturber

*sigh* sorry guys, I had already sent it off to another department for their review. It's a very sleek tower, IIRC, with a lot more glass than ROCP I and II. It's got a sweeping roof element and definitely will make its mark on the skyline. I'll keep hunting for it at work tomorrow.. maybe try to recall it.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2006, 10:42 PM
Super duper illustrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlookin'
"no, no. Each tower has it's own database entry."

actually, I do believe Jared combined the two entries
i think your right, because i cant find the smaller tower anywhere, so i guess im drawing the diagram with both buildings (kind of like the petronas towers), I like it better that way anyway for some reason.

My SSP diagram

Old Posted Jul 6, 2006, 11:42 PM

Its better to have them as seperate entries as it makes our numbers look larger, but I guess that is kind of pointless.

Element: A forumer on UT also made the same claim that you had confirming the 75 floor height. I knew all along

Old Posted Jul 7, 2006, 12:19 AM
Super duper illustrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOBoy
Its better to have them as seperate entries as it makes our numbers look larger, but I guess that is kind of pointless.

Element: A forumer on UT also made the same claim that you had confirming the 75 floor height. I knew all along
Yeah, pointless seeing as its only a one building difference..not really going to make a difference in the overall numbers.

My SSP diagram

Old Posted Jul 7, 2006, 12:22 AM
senior something

I combined Maple Leaf Square into a single building. I figure it would look better than breaking up the podium. Also, it allows us to add data such as unit count, square footage etc. which can only be found for the project as a whole. There are plenty of examples of this sort of thing already in the database, i.e.:

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=1319

Here is the new MLS btw:

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=41660

I've also updated RoCP3 to include the new height (sorry Neilioo, i had to take your drawing out, sincec it isn't the right height anymore)

I'm not the guy from Subway.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2006, 2:24 AM
I am the law!

It is undeniably two towers. I do realize that the diagrams are somewhat the main focus of the database and it being easier to draw/picture the whole complex but why not then draw two different perspectives of the complex for each entry or highlight the specific tower by drawing the rest in a grey scale.

Quote:
Also, it allows us to add data such as unit count, square footage etc. which can only be found for the project as a whole.
however, it has the opposite affect on building identifiers (addresses) and other status such as year built, status

and, unit counts for the individual towers are easy to come by considering they were sold as separate phases

I need clarification

Thanks to our great planning and my laziness to investigate further, we have many heights for the new developments with some including mechanical penthouses while others do not. I've been differentiating them by putting those without the mechanical under 'roof height' and those with mechanical under 'spire height' although I'm suspicious the database's preference maybe 'top floor' and 'roof'

Old Posted Jul 7, 2006, 5:04 AM
Super duper illustrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared
I combined Maple Leaf Square into a single building. I figure it would look better than breaking up the podium. Also, it allows us to add data such as unit count, square footage etc. which can only be found for the project as a whole. There are plenty of examples of this sort of thing already in the database, i.e.:

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=1319

Here is the new MLS btw:

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=41660

I've also updated RoCP3 to include the new height (sorry Neilioo, i had to take your drawing out, sincec it isn't the right height anymore)

Hey no problem, i didnt like that drawing anyway! Ill gladly do a MUCH better one for the next tower.

And i finaly finished my MLS diagram (with height increase included)
And ive seen so many damn differently coloured renders of the building that i decided to go with something lighter and non tacky unitll we know for sure what the coliur scheme will look like.

My SSP diagram

Last edited by neilioo; Jul 7, 2006 at 5:12 AM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2006, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

^ Neilioo, that might be your best diagram so far!! Just add a sutble blue shading to the glass.

Flickr®

Old Posted Jul 7, 2006, 11:02 PM
senior something

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlookin'
It is undeniably two towers. I do realize that the diagrams are somewhat the main focus of the database and it being easier to draw/picture the whole complex but why not then draw two different perspectives of the complex for each entry or highlight the specific tower by drawing the rest in a grey scale.

however, it has the opposite affect on building identifiers (addresses) and other status such as year built, status

and, unit counts for the individual towers are easy to come by considering they were sold as separate phases

I need clarification

Thanks to our great planning and my laziness to investigate further, we have many heights for the new developments with some including mechanical penthouses while others do not. I've been differentiating them by putting those without the mechanical under 'roof height' and those with mechanical under 'spire height' although I'm suspicious the database's preference maybe 'top floor' and 'roof'

I tend to include them as one. All the info for the tallest tower is entered in the proper slots, and then any extra stuff I just add into the description. As for the two diagrams from different perspectives idea, I think it's been mentioned before, but would end up misleading people. Take a look at this, for example:

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=6

Even if the taller tower was grey, people would still focus on it, even if this is meant to be a drawing of the shorter tower.

Re height entry:

put mechanical under roof, and then add a comment saying "mechanical penthouse".

add a custom height called "main roof" and add that height there. Spires are for those pointy sticks.

I'm not the guy from Subway.

Last edited by Jared; Jul 7, 2006 at 11:08 PM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2006, 11:22 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Re height entry:

put mechanical under roof, and then add a comment saying "mechanical penthouse".

add a custom height called "main roof" and add that height there. Spires are for those pointy sticks.
thanks - makes alot of sense - will have some repairing to do - find it relaxing though while sitting in the backyard with a cold beer by my side

Old Posted Jul 8, 2006, 12:33 AM

Over at UT, 3D has posted a photo of the redesigned College park 3. 787 ft. in total.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2006, 4:12 AM

Old Posted Jul 9, 2006, 12:15 PM
samsonyuen

From: http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/n...2-0f51187c026d

James Cowan
National Post

Saturday, July 08, 2006

The Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corporation wants to convert Queens Quay Boulevard into a public promenade for 10 days this August, replacing two lanes of traffic with impromptu gardens, a bike path and a makeshift lawn.

The temporary transformation of the boulevard between York Street and Spadina Avenue, from Aug. 11 to 20, is intended to give the public a taste of the future as the TWRC begins its transformation of Toronto's central waterfront.

"This is something that allows people in the short term to start realizing the benefits," said Kristin Jenkins, a TWRC spokeswoman.

The TWRC unveiled a new plan for the shoreline between Bathurst and Parliament last month. Designed by West 8, a Dutch architectural firm, the proposal calls for the creation of a tree-lined pedestrian right-of-way along Queens Quay. The jury that selected the winning design suggested temporarily closing Queen's Quay "to create an initial version of the team's ultimate concept."

City Councillor Pam McConnell, who represents the area, said she supports the creation of the pilot-project promenade.

"The fact that you can design a road and try it out before you build it is very, very creative and may, in the long run, make for a much better road," she said.

The TWRC will need the approval of city council and its own board before it creates the temporary promenade.

If endorsed, the project will close the eastbound lanes while leaving the westbound lanes open. TWRC designers have proposed installing a lawn in the closed curbside lane and putting gardens and planters along the streetcar right-of-way. The project will also temporarily extend the Martin Goodman trail.

"The Martin Goodman Trail essentially disappears in the central waterfront right now," Ms. McConnell said. "So this will connect it between Bathurst and Jarvis."

While road closures usually provoke fears of traffic chaos, many local residents appear to be embracing the plan.

"There are people who think this will help animate the street and there are other people who think it's just going to make traffic problems worse," said Anne Christensen, president of the Harbourfront Community Association. "But we won't find out unless we run this trial."

Ulla Colgrass, a representative of the York Quay Neighbourhood Association, described the temporary closure as "a very exciting thing."

"It's worth trying out," she said. "It not only transforms the neighbourhood, it transforms the city to have an area that's not totally beholden to car traffic."

Despite the enthusiasm, some residents are concerned a full assessment has not been done of the effect on local traffic.

"There has been no modelling of the impact that the closure of these lanes will have on traffic," Margaret Samuel, a representative of the Central Waterfront Neighbourhood Association, wrote in an e-mail, adding later, "We will be inconvenienced, however, the response of the TWRC that I heard to this is that we need to put the inconvenience into perspective, that streets are closed all the time."

Ms. Jenkins said the TWRC is committed to adjusting its plan to address neighbourhood concerns.

For her part, Ms. Christensen said she hopes the plan might actually reduce traffic congestion in her neighbourhood.

"Queens Quay definitely has a traffic problem," she admitted. "Not only because of the growing number of people living here, but people use it as an alternate route to get downtown. If this will make Queens Quay for local traffic rather than Lakeshore and Gardiner traffic, then I think it's great."

Ms. Colgrass also noted residents have easy access to public transit and arterial roads. "We have Lake Shore with all those lanes, we have the Gardiner and we have Bremner Boulevard -- we're not exactly in the wilderness," she said.

Work on implementing West 8's design will begin this year with the transformation of eight desolate boat slips into public spaces. The federal, provincial and municipal governments have committed $20.1-million toward the project.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2006, 8:57 PM
fan of all that scrape

It's official. I have found a new destination which I now strongly desire seeing with my own eyes!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations