HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 5:37 PM
Meh

I actually like these lights. The setbacks are creating some unfortunate breaks in the effect, but otherwise, I like it. Actually, I don't know why they didn't do this on the southwest corner of 500 West 2nd.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I actually like these lights. The setbacks are creating some unfortunate breaks in the effect, but otherwise, I like it. Actually, I don't know why they didn't do this on the southwest corner of 500 West 2nd.
Just imagine this building but twice as well, maybe with a big setback halfway up, and without the ridiculous parking garage.

With this lighting, it'd look really great.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 10:35 PM

The lighting looks pretty good on this one. BTW, does anyone know who does updating on wiki for Austin's tallest buildings? I noticed it was removed from the under construction section, but never placed on the completed section.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTrox73 View Post
Does anyone know who does updating on wiki for Austin's tallest buildings? I noticed it was removed from the under construction section, but never placed on the completed section.
I do some of it, recently added https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_185 and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_%26_West_Residences. Going off of the list's standards, it should still be in the U/C section.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 8:09 AM

3rd and Shoal tower sells Via Erin Edgemon at ABJ
Quote:

Third + Shoal, a 29-story downtown Austin tower with Facebook Inc. as its largest tenant, has sold for an undisclosed price.

The developers of the tower, TIER REIT Inc., Cielo Property Group and Invesco Real Estate, announced the sale June 11. The newly completed 345-square-foot building, which is 100 percent leased, was expected to trade for a record price. The tower at 208 Nueces St. was put on the market in February.

The name of the buyer wasn't immediately released.

“We believe the sale represents a new precedent of demand for top quality office properties in Austin,” TIER REIT CEO Scott Fordham said in statement. “We are proud of the mark we have left on the Austin skyline and pleased with the strong value creation we delivered to our stockholders.”

The sellers were represented in the transaction by HFF.

Austin commercial real estate brokers told the Austin-American Statesman that Third + Shoal had the potential to sell for more than $700 per square foot, which would be a record for commercial real estate in the Texas capital and equate to a total price tag of more than $260 million.

The record has belonged to 5th & Colorado, an 18-story downtown high-rise that sold for $663 per-square-foot in 2017.

Facebook occupies 10 floors of the tower. Other tenants in Third + Shoal include Bank of America Corp., law firm Dickinson Wright PLLC and the New York-based investment firm Stonepeak Infrastructure Partners.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 4:03 PM

The new Bank of America signage really dresses up the ugly side of the building. You hardly notice the big blank wall now.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 4:19 PM

From that angle the design looks like something out of the 1960's, very... utilitarian.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 4:28 PM

I've always thought it looked like a 60s building. Reminds me of 2 Broadway.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 4:48 PM

I walk through this area almost every saturday night and think how cool would it be to cover these blank ugly parking garage walls (3rd and Shoal, Independent, Seaholm) with big TV screens ala Times Square and turn the electrical substation into a big public plaza.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
I walk through this area almost every saturday night and think how cool would it be to cover these blank ugly parking garage walls (3rd and Shoal, Independent, Seaholm) with big TV screens ala Times Square and turn the electrical substation into a big public plaza.
At the very least, put up some framed billboard-type space but have local artists pain murals.

Anything is better than a stale cold blank wall, especially as the Shoal Creek trail overhaul comes online.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 8:15 PM

Have some artists do neon/digital art like those in Dotonbori in Osaka

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post
At the very least, put up some framed billboard-type space but have local artists pain murals.

Anything is better than a stale cold blank wall, especially as the Shoal Creek trail overhaul comes online.
Remember, the purpose of the screen mesh was to allow exhaust fumes to escape the parking garage. Covering it up even in just a few spots could hinder those fumes from escaping. Painting murals on the screen mesh could work if it doesn't come across as graffiti. From the parking garage up, this isn't a bad looking building. Messing with the less than desirable parking garage exterior could make it worse. And lighting it up with LED billboards would destroy any ambiance on the creek side. Now that wouldn't be a bad idea for the tooth tower.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
No need for tv screens... just use projectors

Old Posted Feb 16, 2020, 11:18 PM

This screen has become even more of an eyesore with these exhaust fumes. Surely there has to be a way to clean this, right?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2020, 11:22 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Gross
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 12:03 AM

A couple of thoughts about this...the balcony below could get whiffs of exhuast fumes if the wind is just right, the BoA can't be too happy with this smudge so close to their sign. If this is the only area of exhaust staining, then its probably easily fixabe, but it certainly is a result of the developer taking the cheapie route. It certainly justifies my annoyance when I saw this in person. Its like putting hubcaps on a Lamborghini. Or better yet, using lattice to cover a crawl space under a mansion.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 12:18 AM

It's nice to see that they are changing the color of the screen. Green and black look good together. Although it's gonna take a while this way.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 6:59 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

It's pretty embarrassing. Not only did they miss a huge opportunity to utilize the Shoal Creek side in a better way, which is probably the most viewed side of this building, but they couldn't even design the exhaust so that it wouldn't stain the siding. Overall the lower half of this building on that side is a mess.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 7:45 AM

In a funny way, this looks kind of gritty like a 60's office building in a European city. Even the BoA sign looks retro. The cloudy, gray day doesn't help. Definitely not what they intended for a brand new building...

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 12:10 AM

Being cleaned up

Third & Shoal by Darius Fontenette, on Flickr

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin