HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 2:27 AM
I am a typical

Rural Montreal, no less!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 3:56 AM
BANNED

I live in Chelmsford ON. It is part of the City of Greater Sudbury, to whom I pay property taxes to.
My address is Chelmsford though.

P0M 1L0

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 9:18 AM

Many mailing addresses in Ontario still go by old names and not the actual name of the municipality they are in.

The eastern parts of Timmins still have mailing addresses where the town is Schumacher, South Porcupine, Porcupine or Connaught.

It's still pretty common across Ontario.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 12:58 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Many mailing addresses in Ontario still go by old names and not the actual name of the municipality they are in.

The eastern parts of Timmins still have mailing addresses where the town is Schumacher, South Porcupine, Porcupine or Connaught.

It's still pretty common across Ontario.
Is that "official" or simply "accepted" by Canada Post?

Here in Gatineau (and most places in Quebec I think) when they did the big municipal mergers they told people they needed to use the new municipal names otherwise the mail would not get through.

So at this point basically no one here would write "200 Promenade du Portage Hull QC" anymore.

In Ottawa it seems less prescriptive and while they did eliminate all street name duplication, people use "Kanata ON", "Orleans ON", "Cumberland ON" on addresses all the time. I believe some City of Ottawa facilities still do, even.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Is that "official" or simply "accepted" by Canada Post?

Here in Gatineau (and most places in Quebec I think) when they did the big municipal mergers they told people they needed to use the new municipal names otherwise the mail would not get through.

So at this point basically no one here would write "200 Promenade du Portage Hull QC" anymore.

In Ottawa it seems less prescriptive and while they did eliminate all street name duplication, people use "Kanata ON", "Orleans ON", "Cumberland ON" on addresses all the time. I believe some City of Ottawa facilities still do, even.
In Ontario from what I can tell, you use whatever your nearby post office uses. I just wish we would do what Quebec has done and use the actual municipality who you pay taxes to.

Some former municipality parts of Toronto and Ottawa did largely change to the new city name after the municipal mergers but not everywhere. I do know that Canada Post has no issue if you put Ottawa or Toronto even though the address might be in Kanata or Scarborough. It's the postal code that is more important.

But in Timmins if you live in the parts I mentioned, you still have to use the town name of the post office that covers where you live even though it's in the City of Timmins.

For Temiskaming Shores, NOBODY has a mailing address that uses the name of that municipality. The old names are still used. (New Liskeard, Dymond Twp, Haileybury, North Colbalt)

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 10:23 PM

Canada Post doesn't actually use city names for routing anymore. All that matters is unit number (if present), street number, street name, postal code. Canada Post sends its mail to a particular place based on the postal code and from there to the relevant street address, so the locality is irrelevant; it's literally only written on as a way to make addresses more readable for people.

You can write a letter to someone in say, Ottawa, and write something completely nonsensical, like "Magicalferryland, Ontario" and it will still get there as long as the postal code is right. There's no point migrating to "official municipalities" when they aren't actually used.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 3:31 AM
I am a typical

You can often just put a name and a postal code and it will get to its destination. A lot of businesses do this. Being one of only two residential addresses with my postal code (and both mail boxes are side by side and have names on them), you can actually just put my last name and the postal code on a package and it will get to me. I've received mail with the correct name and postal code but incorrect address on a couple occasions, but only gotten mail with a wrong postal code once, and it was over a month late.

Before the urban postal code changes a few years ago, many of the slightly urban areas around Thunder Bay used the postal city (to borrow a British term) of "Thunder Bay", so the postal city of Thunder Bay was much larger than the municipality of Thunder Bay. After the reform, they added some new FSAs, and now everyone uses the municipality that they're in, with a few exceptions. (Streets shared by two municipalities will use one name for both sides.)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada