HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Phenomenal as usual Nick - small correction, that is the base for the mat.
Think I'll drag the 600mm downtown tomorrow and give it a try.
Thanks, Harry! I thought things seemed to be moving exceedingly fast, ha.

Assuming weather isn't too bad. I plan to get some more update shots of WPE around 10:00am. Heading to 360 after to (hopefully) catch the Thunderbirds ripping through the city.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 9:53 PM
Chicago

August 17, 2018

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 10:11 PM

Amazing updates! Great Scott! this is moving fast. Guess if you have an anchor tenant booked for 500k sq feet...

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 11:09 PM

I just realized there are only a few prime riverfront properties left in the city that aren't built on... It'll be bittersweet in a way when they are all gone, because there is something so unique and beautiful about the construction of buildings with the barges and constrained conditions that these locations offer.

Off the top of my head, the main spots left are WPS, 400 LSD, the final unused clump at the end of LSE, and that parking lot next to the NBC tower. There are others obviously on the North and South Branches, but those are not as iconic or impressive of locations as far as aesthetics are concerned.

That means there is only one lot left in the river canyon that doesn't have something planned or under construction on it. Let's hope NBC sells that property soon! Maybe they could reboot the Waldorf or Shangri-La designs that I'm still sad never got built during the pre-recession cycle (I can dream ).

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
I just realized there are only a few prime riverfront properties left in the city that aren't built on... It'll be bittersweet in a way when they are all gone,
Then we'll just have to redefine or expand our definition of "prime riverfront" -- if Riverline / Southbank / the 78 take off, then the skyline will push southward and we'll have many new prime lots.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 4:39 PM

NBC parking lot is a true puzzler

someone must not like money

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 4:41 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
I just realized there are only a few prime riverfront properties left in the city that aren't built on... It'll be bittersweet in a way when they are all gone, because there is something so unique and beautiful about the construction of buildings with the barges and constrained conditions that these locations offer.

Off the top of my head, the main spots left are WPS, 400 LSD, the final unused clump at the end of LSE, and that parking lot next to the NBC tower. There are others obviously on the North and South Branches, but those are not as iconic or impressive of locations as far as aesthetics are concerned.

That means there is only one lot left in the river canyon that doesn't have something planned or under construction on it. Let's hope NBC sells that property soon! Maybe they could reboot the Waldorf or Shangri-La designs that I'm still sad never got built during the pre-recession cycle (I can dream ).
There is enough room over the next one or two building cycles at least. And even then I hardly think there will be a tear shed if the underutilized and lackluster buildings such as the Westin River North, Renaissance Hotel on the river, Gleecher Center are demolished and rebuilt on.

Not to mention the near north/south branches where I at least one day I expect (hope?) of a redevelopment of the Apparel Center, East Bank Club, SE Old Post Office parcel etc. All of which are rather high profile in their own right especially the last of that group.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 5:35 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post

Oh, they love money alright. They just must not need it right now.

And year after year, that parcel grows more valuable..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
There is enough room over the next one or two building cycles at least. And even then I hardly think there will be a tear shed if the underutilized and lackluster buildings such as the Westin River North, Renaissance Hotel on the river, Gleecher Center are demolished and rebuilt on.

Not to mention the near north/south branches where I at least one day I expect (hope?) of a redevelopment of the Apparel Center, East Bank Club, SE Old Post Office parcel etc. All of which are rather high profile in their own right especially the last of that group.
Still that sliver on S. Wacker Drive near Congress.
Also 311 S Wacker has a south parking lot that has river views. This is way past due for development.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
Also 311 S Wacker has a south parking lot that has river views. This is way past due for development.
http://murphydevgroup.com/301-321-s-wacker
There are plans for that lot (311 S Wacker). Idk what the hold up is though. No tenant? Developer waiting for their other development (1326 S Michigan) to deliver? IDK

As for 110 Wacker, they have poured quite a bit of rat slab. I think we can expect lots of rebar to start arriving soon.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 1:16 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
Wow, thats crazy narrow. I wonder if anything can realistically be done with it? If anything, maybe a boutique office building. Nothing too tall, since there's barely any space to fit an elevator core as it is.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 1:19 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fvn View Post
http://murphydevgroup.com/301-321-s-wacker
There are plans for that lot (311 S Wacker). Idk what the hold up is though. No tenant? Developer waiting for their other development (1326 S Michigan) to deliver? IDK
I believe he was pointing out the tiny riverfront parcel, immediately to the south of 300 S Wacker.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
I believe he was pointing out the tiny riverfront parcel, immediately to the south of 300 S Wacker.
He also made note of the 311S Wacker parking lot though, so he responded to both. Clarification on your clarification

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 1:58 AM
Chicago

August 21, 2018

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 2:45 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
Then we'll just have to redefine or expand our definition of "prime riverfront" -- if Riverline / Southbank / the 78 take off, then the skyline will push southward and we'll have many new prime lots.
Great point. The river stretches for quite a ways doesn't it? =p
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 3:52 AM

Seeing how little all the guys look while standing down there is starting to give me a good idea for how it's possible for them to fit a boatload of parking spaces down belew grade. Making sense now

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
August 21, 2018

You can see the building stagger/profile already.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post

I've said it before. Mr. Mahn, billionaire from Germany and owner of nbc tower, wants to build duel art deco towers on both the north and south lots. I dont know when if ever that would come into fruition and obviously everybody has their price. But I know he has a model of it in his office. Not sure on height but both are much taller than nbc. I havnt worked at nbc in years so im not sure if he sold it in the meantime.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 4:28 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
I've said it before. Mr. Mahn, billionaire from Germany and owner of nbc tower, wants to build duel art deco towers on both the north and south lots. I dont know when if ever that would come into fruition and obviously everybody has their price. But I know he has a model of it in his office. Not sure on height but both are much taller than nbc. I havnt worked at nbc in years so im not sure if he sold it in the meantime.
Wow. Yes please!!!!
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 4:47 PM

I love this building. It will be a nice addition to the river canyon! I do wish it was over 900 feet so it can have some presence due to being so close to 150.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive