HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 11:13 AM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YSL View Post
This area is such a barren insustrial dump, when I first came to New York a year ago I was amazed something this awful could be in prime Manhattan! I can't wait until this is up, but that area still would need lots of help. I wish the Javitz could be razed, and the street grid restored in that area. Oh well.
It will take some time, but this area will be completely transformed in the next 10- 15 years: new towers (these two are just the beginning, parks, high line extension, a general revitalisation, new subway stations etc etc.. One can only hope there won't be much of a delay.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2011, 2:59 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by YSL View Post
This area is such a barren insustrial dump, when I first came to New York a year ago I was amazed something this awful could be in prime Manhattan! I can't wait until this is up, but that area still would need lots of help.
The City agrees...
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=123575

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 10:29 PM
New Yorker for life

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...NewsCollection

Hudson Yards first tower
Developer: Related Cos.

Outlook: Fair to good

Quote:
For decades, planners have hoped to develop the 26-acre West Side rail yards, by the southern end of the Javits Convention Center, in a bid to remake Manhattan's far West Side into a business district.

Now Related Cos. is getting closer than anyone before: Handbag maker Coach Inc. has announced plans to buy one-third of the 1.8-million-square-foot planned first building on the site, and Related says it expects to start construction early this year.

Still, the Coach deal isn't final and Related, the New York firm headed by Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross, is looking for another commitment to fill the 1.2 million square feet of the tower not yet slated for a tenant. It's questionable whether lenders will embrace the project until more deals are finalized.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 11:52 PM

only here in NY could we get a skyscraper built for a luxury handbag company. I love it.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 8:12 PM

Not really surprising that they're weighing all of their options, just thought I'd share. It should be noted, their current headquarters the Time Warner Center on Columbus Circle, is a Related building as are the Hudson Yards, so that existing relationship should be a plus. But I still bet they end up at the Hudson Yards. Related has said they're willing to break even on the office space, so it'll be significantly cheaper office space than other new New York office buildings. What's top office space rent for on the west coast? Just wondering.

Time Warner Will Consider Office Space Outside New York in Real Estate Review
2:17 PM PST 1/5/2012 by Georg Szalai

"Time Warner management is optimistic that 2012 can be a strong year for the entertainment conglomerate, CFO John Martin told an investor conference in San Francisco on Thursday.

He also said that the company will consider new office space not only inside of, but also outside of New York City as it reviews its current real estate with an eye on reducing costs when current leases expire in the coming years...

...Asked about potential real estate cost savings in New York, Martin said TW currently occupies 10 buildings with more than 8,000 employees and spends roughly $300 million on office space a year. It owns its headquarters, the Time Warner Center. With most leases up around 2017, the company previously said though that it is approaching the market to look for new space that would allow it to save money and consolidate operations.

..."We are going to be looking to essentially get the best deal for future space and…look for space that is in a terrific environment for our employees to work in," Martin said. But he also emphasized: "We can't just limit it to New York City. We are going to be looking at other areas, too, because unfortunately the environment that we are operating in is we can't be blind to cost of doing business. And operating in New York City is extremely expensive, so we are going to be aggressive and looking around in any number of places."

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 8:50 PM
BANNED

I don't think that they ever planned to put 2m sf of office space in expensive, Class A space. Their HQ will remain in Manhattan and might occupy 500-600k sf.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 11:42 AM
DENNAB

If Time warner wants space outside NY why not sign up for the new tower in LA. That supertall needs a tenant.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 12:40 PM

Smile

And in Chicago? Maybe a collaboration with the International Property Developers for the Old Main Post Office project.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2012, 2:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
If Time warner wants space outside NY why not sign up for the new tower in LA. That supertall needs a tenant.
Apart from the roughly 500-600k sf of HQ space, they're looking to minimize the costs for the other 1.5m sf. They couldn't get space at $30/sf in an expensive new tower in LA. Besides, they're a NY company and seek to keep their back-office operations nearby.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 5:40 PM
World Machine

I'd be shocked if TW moved out of the city . . that headline is just 'tough talk' to scare Related into giving them a lower rate. Amount of space aside, I believe that some form of TW will make an appearance at Hudson Yards.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
I'd be shocked if TW moved out of the city . . that headline is just 'tough talk' to scare Related into giving them a lower rate. Amount of space aside, I believe that some form of TW will make an appearance at Hudson Yards.
Exactly. Every company does this.

And they're not talking about moving out the region. If they rent some space outside the city, they'll obviously go to NJ, CT, or wherever, to save money.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 5:49 PM
World Machine

^^^Easily, and they could probably land a good rate in Stamford or JC . . . ideally though I think they would like to consolidate into one Manhattan location and stay with Related.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 9:51 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Exactly. Every company does this.

And they're not talking about moving out the region. If they rent some space outside the city, they'll obviously go to NJ, CT, or wherever, to save money.
Right, they won't move away from the City, but might consider moving some operations outside the City to save. But that's not unusual. Besides, it's always helpful to throw that option on the table when negotiating leases.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2012, 8:21 AM
New Yorker for life

In this rendering 15 Penn is slightly out of place, and it may be an older rendering for Manhattan West, but you get an idea of how close everything is.
http://www.kpf.com/news.asp?id=84

http://www.kpf.com/project.asp?R=1&ID=125

Quote:
Two tapered office towers rise dramatically above a glass enclosed seven-story retail podium. Encompassing nearly 5.5 million square feet, this “superblock building” bound by 10th Avenue, 33rd Street, Hudson Boulevard and 30th Street will be the largest commercial building in New York City. The defining characteristics of these two towers are the manner in which they relate to each other, to the city, and to the waterfront, and the crucial way they express the activity happening between them.

The two buildings tilt in opposing directions, almost as if they are having a purposeful dialogue. One tower defers to the city and the other pays homage to the Hudson River. The towers skyline presence is dynamic, offering varying experiences depending on the viewing location, and creating a lyrical and lively presence on the New York cityscape.

Coach Inc. will occupy the building at the northern end of the High Line. Their vertical campus with a soaring atrium will serve as the visual anchor for the High Line. This vibrant space will also be the heart of the south tower’s complex, and is reflective of the company’s collective and community-focused environment.

Last edited by NYguy; Jan 12, 2012 at 8:46 AM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2012, 8:37 AM

That skyline render is so dreamy. If only all the buildings in that photo go up as originally planned (i'm looking at you Manhattan West and 15Penn).

Old Posted Jan 12, 2012, 8:56 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post
That skyline render is so dreamy. If only all the buildings in that photo go up as originally planned (i'm looking at you Manhattan West and 15Penn).
Also, there are a lot of buildings not included in that rendering.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2012, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post
Disagree. I'm all for gigantic buildings, but the current wave of supertalls are entirely glass... aka, incredibly boring when grouped together. In that depiction you can barely tell one building from another, as the facades are so monotonous.

One major + to 432 Park will be that the facade will have a distinguishing element... cannot say the same about these towers.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2012, 4:53 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
Disagree. I'm all for gigantic buildings, but the current wave of supertalls are entirely glass... aka, incredibly boring when grouped together. In that depiction you can barely tell one building from another, as the facades are so monotonous.
That's just a rendering, and not a very detailed one. The facades will vary, but the two towers of the first phase will obviously be very similar. Everything else should be considered placeholders, even the depiction of Manhattan West. But as far as glass itself goes, it's 2012, not 1930. Office buildings are going to be glass, as the emphasis is put on views and daylight in wide open spaces.

http://www.observer.com/2012/01/dann...rds-the-world/

Danny Meyer Taking Over Hudson Yards, the World

By Matt Chaban
1/12/12

Quote:
As if there was not enough anticipation surrounding the construction of Hudson Yards, here is probably the one reason to trump any other: Danny Meyer will be setting up shop on the Far West Side.

The Related Companies and Union Square Hospitality announced a new partnership today, whereby Steve Ross and his globetrotting development company will take a stake in Union Square Events. While not encompassing all of the restauranteurs operations, USE offers more than just catering but also runs the sports venue operations for Mr. Meyers sprawling eatery empire, and now it will do even more. So no fine dining, necessarily, but Mr. Meyer will be offering a range of culinary options, from private residential dining to catering events in Hudson Yards buildings as well as operating restaurants and outdoor cafes.

In a way, Mr. Meyer is keeping things local, as his catering company was founded in the area in 2004 and even used to be named after the neighborhood. “We love the irony that USE was born seven years ago as ‘Hudson Yards Catering’ – and now one of our greatest opportunities to grow will be in Hudson Yards,” Mr. Meyer said in a statement.

Last edited by NYguy; Jan 12, 2012 at 5:07 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2012, 5:17 PM

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 5:22 PM
BANNED

So, when will construction start on the first tower?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive