HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 5:21 AM

Quote:
San Francisco's Virgin Megastore to Announce Closure
Wow. This (all but) ends an interesting chapter in retail. Virgin Megastores were the hottest thing around when they first opened in the '90s, with their huge selections, snazzy stores, and general aura of Virgin-brand coolness. But record stores (especially the modern ones, as opposed to vintage places like Amoeba and Rasputin) lost so much business to so many other sources that it was bound to end.

I was in the SF store last weekend and I remember thinking to myself how the store was buzzing a lot more when I first moved here 7 years ago.

By the way, their stores on Michigan Ave in Chicago and Times Square in NYC will be replaced by Forever 21.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 5:31 AM

Too bad we've already got our multi-story Forever 21 a block away...

I'm surprised that these stores lasted as long as they did, but it still sucks. That's a lot of square footage to fill on one of the most prime corners in SF. Maybe we can get a TJ Maxx to balance out the Ross across the street

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 6:17 AM

If the economy were better, Best Buy would seem like a no-brainer for that spot (they've done multi-story urban stores in NYC and there's no competition nearby). But in this climate, I'm guessing the most likely tenant is "no tenant at all".

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 5:32 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
Too bad we've already got our multi-story Forever 21 a block away...
On the KRON4 news this morning they mentioned this closing and said the rumor is that it will be replaced by Forever 21. Ha! I'm sure this "rumor" is what they pulled out of the reports from Chicago and NY. Guess they haven't looked around the area very carefully.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 1:30 AM

i dont really care too much about the virgin megastore, im just sad that this means that citizen cupcake will be out too (presumably). hopefully they will find a new location closer to street level.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 5:04 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewK View Post
i dont really care too much about the virgin megastore, im just sad that this means that citizen cupcake will be out too (presumably). hopefully they will find a new location closer to street level.
I care about it because I will dread seeing a vacancy in such a prominent location.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
I care about it because I will dread seeing a vacancy in such a prominent location.
Exactly - that's a HUGE space - four stories on one of the most prominent corners that we have.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 7:01 AM

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...business&tsp=1

Quote:
Union Square area losing its Virgin-ity

Victoria Colliver, Chronicle Staff Writer

Thursday, February 26, 2009

(02-26) 20:27 PST -- The Virgin Megastore in San Francisco will shut its doors in late April, adding a large vacancy at Stockton and Market streets to a growing number of empty storefronts around Union Square, the retail heart of the city.

The music and video retailer, which opened its estimated 45,000-square-foot store 14 years ago, will start liquidation sales sometime next month, company officials confirmed today.

Union Square is still considered one of the country's most vibrant shopping districts and a destination for international tourists. But one of the worst holiday shopping seasons in recent memory, low consumer confidence and an overall dismal economic scene have made retail among the hardest-hit sectors of the economy.

"It's a tough time. It's probably as tough a time I've seen since I've been in business here," said Ken Brownell, partner in Blatteis & Schnur, a retail brokerage firm that manages and owns some buildings in Union Square.

But he remained optimistic. "In San Francisco's history, the retail comes back sooner than the rest of country. We're the last ones to get hit and first to come out of it," he said. And the economic downturn has opened up opportunities for retailers to readjust their rents and for new businesses to come into the area, he added.

The landscape, however, paints a different picture.

The closure late last year of Shoe Pavilion left an empty storefront at 838 Market St. The Escada boutique, formerly at 259 Post St., and Ann Taylor, at 240 Post St., closed a couple of years ago, and their spaces remain vacant. The former Disney Store at 400 Post St., which shut its doors last year, has yet to be filled.

In addition, a number of retailers are considering downsizing or not renewing their leases once they expire. Those include Talbots at 126 Post St., Mango at 117 Post St. and Rockport at 165 Post St., which wants to sublease a portion of its space.

Rite Aid Corp. announced earlier this month that it was pulling out of San Francisco, selling all seven of its stores to Walgreen Co. Since Walgreen already has a nearby store on Market Street, the future of the Rite Aid at 779 Market St. is in doubt.

But all is not bleak. Amid the retail shakeup, there are newcomers to the area. Bulgari is on track to open a 13,600-square-foot store at 200 Stockton St. CB2, Crate & Barrel's lower-cost home-furnishing outlet opened in the fall. And a lease has just been signed for the former Sharper Image site in the 200 block of Post Street, though the brokers involved declined to reveal the new tenant.

Meanwhile, renovations are under way at 800 Market St., across from Virgin, to accommodate a new Diesel clothing store. BCBG just renewed its lease at 331 Powell St., and British designer Sir Paul Smith is planning to open his store at 46 Geary St. in the coming weeks.

As for Virgin Megastore, it had been affected in part by a shift in music-buying habits to digital downloads - the same trend that led to the demise of such mainstays as Tower Records in 2006. In recent years, however, Virgin diversified its offerings to include DVDs, clothing and accessories.

The Virgin Megastore in New York's Times Square also will close and will make way for trendy clothing retailer Forever 21. The company said Thursday it also would close its store in New York's Union Square.

The closures of the San Francisco and New York locations will leave just three Virgin retail stores - in Hollywood, Denver, Colo., and Orlando, Fla. - from a peak of 23 stores in 2002.

Part of the empire started by Sir Richard Branson, Virgin Megastores were sold to the Related Companies and Vornado Realty Trust in 2007. At that time, the company operated 11 stores. Officials from Related Companies did not return calls for comment, and a Vornado representative referred all calls to Virgin.

"It's sad Virgin is going, but nobody is really surprised," said Vikki Johnson, principal in the San Francisco real estate firm Johnson Hoke Ltd. But, Johnson said, the site has a future because that corner of Market Street is a far more attractive location than when Virgin Megastore opened in 1995.

San Francisco resident Mark Nichols stopped by the Virgin Megastore today after trying to take advantage of book sales in the final days of the iconic Stacey's Bookstore, which is closing up shop at 581 Market St. after 85 years in business.

Nichols, 50, was unaware of Virgin's pending closure. "That's pretty sad," he said of the news, adding that he planned to return for the going-out-of-business sales. "I think we're getting the repercussions of the economy. The dominos are falling."

E-mail Victoria Colliver at vcolliver@sfchronicle.com.
Ok, the only thing new that I found out from this article was that Rite Aid had sold their SF stores to Walgreens. Most of the Rite Aids that I can think of in SF are practically right across the street from an existing Walgreens. It will be interesting to see what happens to those places (I'm guessing that some will close - either the Rite Aid or the Walgreens across the street).

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 8:50 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Ok, the only thing new that I found out from this article was that Rite Aid had sold their SF stores to Walgreens. Most of the Rite Aids that I can think of in SF are practically right across the street from an existing Walgreens. It will be interesting to see what happens to those places (I'm guessing that some will close - either the Rite Aid or the Walgreens across the street).
I knew about the Walgreen's/Rite Aid thing and what I can't figure is why CVS didn't use the opportunity to get into San Francisco by buying those stores. But I suspect Walgreen's bought them to block CVS and will close most of them.

What I didn't know--I guess because I'm out of town--is that Stacey's was closing. THAT's really sad.

In fact, with CompUSA and Virgin gone, I'm trying to think of what reason I'll have to go to that part of Market St anymore (not being a Diesel kind of person)--and also where I'll be able to buy a DVD if I don't want to wait for one to be sent after ordering online. Best Buy may be the only place left for DVDs. And, for a while at least, there's still the Apple Store near Grant & Market.

That Virgin store is very large. I can't imagine who would fill it. I remember when they renovated the building. Let me think: T . . . A . . .R . . .G . . .E . . . T. or possibly even the store beginning with "W" that cannot be mentioned (which is experimenting with a smaller format for urban locations than the usual monster big boxes). Or maybe would Lowe's even consider it (Home Depot has multistory locations in Manhattan)?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 8:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Maybe we can get a TJ Maxx to balance out the Ross across the street
We've already got TJX's other (and I think better) brand, Marshall's, up the street.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 2:23 PM

Yeah, Stacey's announced closing about a month ago I think. The store is mostly empty now. Good point about CVS - they do have the Longs that recently opened on Van Ness, but the Rite Aid deal would have seemed like a good fit.

For DVDs, Border's sells them I think. I know that they have a pretty large selection of DVD TV box sets at least, as I bought one of the seasons of The Wire there a few years ago. (One correction - the Apple store is near the corner of Stockton and Market - basically directly across the street from Virgin).

The Virgin store is supposed to be roughly 45,000 sq ft - not sure if that includes the fourth floor that they currently use as office/storage space, but which has the ceiling heights for retail use. Even if it is closer to 60,000 sq ft, not sure if that is big enough for a Target or Walmart or Lowe's or HD - and the lack of a loading dock would be a major no-no I would think - there is no "rear" of the building. (I've seen them unloading a large shipment for Virgin straight through the front doors - hard to imagine that being done for something with much higher inventory turnover like a grocery/discount/hardware store, but who knows I guess. Just seems like the logistics would be crazy).

TJX just opened a new TJ Maxx store at Harrison & 4th and I knew about the Marshall's, so I was just kidding about that one

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 5:21 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
On the KRON4 news this morning they mentioned this closing and said the rumor is that it will be replaced by Forever 21. Ha! I'm sure this "rumor" is what they pulled out of the reports from Chicago and NY. Guess they haven't looked around the area very carefully.
Isnt there a Forever 21 right in front of the cable car turnstyle half a block away?

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 5:21 PM
Pay it Forward

too bad Barney's didnt get that Virgin spot.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 5:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
CVS - they do have the Longs that recently opened on Van Ness
Long's on Van Ness?? Where? I guess I'll have a lot of reorienting to do.

Quote:
the Apple store is near the corner of Stockton and Market - basically directly across the street from Virgin).
Yeah, I knew it was across from Virgin--I run back and forth between the 2 a lot--or did--but I was thinking that was Grant.

Quote:
TJX just opened a new TJ Maxx store at Harrison & 4th and I knew about the Marshall's, so I was just kidding about that one
More news to me.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 5:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
Isnt there a Forever 21 right in front of the cable car turnstyle half a block away?
Yes, which is why it's unlikely they'll grab the space in SF.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
well i mean of course, but aside from that.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 8:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
For DVDs, Border's sells them I think.
Yeah, they do, but as I've said before, Borders is in trouble too.

But that brings to mind that possibly Barnes & Noble might be interested in a Union Square location.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 12:12 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
Exactly. That's what made me laugh.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 8:35 AM

i can definitely see the red bull's eye taking virgin megastore's spot.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 8:58 AM

Im thinking Adidas could move out the mall and create a big store akin to their store on Houston in NYC. We have Niketown up Stockton so I dont see why not. From watching too much TRL, I actually am sad at the demise of virgin. I used to go there on my breaks and laugh at hobos jamming to the Nelly Furtado headset. Old Navy has its gaudy lights, and Diesel will have its sleek renovation, I'd like to see something prominent and bright there. (Adidas could bring a giant David Beckham poster :p) Actually now that I think of it, wasn't there already like a Colt or Falcon ad on the upper floors? haha

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West