HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 12, 2007, 9:47 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
people don't get it... it's not 35 million for the stadium! my goodness.. this petition needs to die, and fast.

I think sooner or later people will start to get it. I mean 20 years ago no one wanted the Utah Jazz when they first came here, Then in 1999 no one wanted to have "Trax" build. But yet now the Jazz are the most watched team here in salt lake, even this season most home games are sold out and with Trax each year more and more people are riding them with new records each passing year. That's just one thing about Utah and that is people here are afraid of new things. How will Salt Lake ever grow as a city if we don't accept new things?
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 2:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post

I think sooner or later people will start to get it. I mean 20 years ago no one wanted the Utah Jazz when they first came here, Then in 1999 no one wanted to have "Trax" build. But yet now the Jazz are the most watched team here in salt lake, even this season most home games are sold out and with Trax each year more and more people are riding them with new records each passing year. That's just one thing about Utah and that is people here are afraid of new things. How will Salt Lake ever grow as a city if we don't accept new things?
It's not that I am afraid of new things, or that I don't want a soccer team in Salt Lake City...
As I understand it, and I could be wrong, Salt Lake City is not really getting Real, or the Stadium! Sandy is! Just because the team carries the name "Real Salt Lake" doesn't mean much! What people think of our city, after a visit, matters more than what those people (who have never visited) think about it. What I mean to say is, people will wonder why they're watching a Real Salt Lake game in Sandy.
If this stadium deal goes through, Salt Lake City will most likely loose out on any future chances of getting a major league soccer team. If Sandy looses the team to St. Louis, oh well! It would give Salt Lake the ability to have another chance later on. Sure, we like to see growth, progress, and new things built, but it is my strong opinion that we are going about it the wrong way!

Last edited by urbanboy; Mar 13, 2007 at 2:48 AM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanboy View Post
It's not that I am afraid of new things, or that I don't want a soccer team in Salt Lake City...
As I understand it, and I could be wrong, Salt Lake City is not really getting Real, or the Stadium! Sandy is! Just because the team carries the name "Real Salt Lake" doesn't mean much! What people think of our city, after a visit, matters more than what those people (who have never visited) think about it. What I mean to say is, people will wonder why they're watching a Real Salt Lake game in Sandy.
If this stadium deal goes through, Salt Lake City will most likely loose out on any future chances of getting a major league soccer team. If Sandy looses the team to St. Louis, oh well! It would give Salt Lake the ability to have another chance later on. Sure, we like to see growth, progress, and new things built, but it is my strong opinion that we are going about it the wrong way!
who nellie there.. yes, it sucks that it isn't in SLC itself, but you are absolutely kidding yourself that if they lose the team to a different city, that SLC will have another chance (just cause it was sandy team, not SLC).... It is the SL METRO team! that's the point.. many many many many professional teams have their stadium in a suburb rather than the city it is named after. LA Galaxy, FC Dallas, NY Jets and Giants, Arizona Cardinals, Minnesota Wild, Tampay Bay Devil Rays, Dallas Cowboys, Chicago Fire... etc. etc...

is it better to have the stadium downtown in the city it's named for? IMO, absolutely! But, just cause it is in a suburb, doesn't make it a different team. It's the METRO's team... sorry.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 11:54 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:

And that is my whole point. Just because the stadium will not be build in downtown salt lake city or anywhere in salt lake city then screw RSL. That's why everyone hates them and wants them to fail just for that reason.
The thing is if RSL moves to St. Louis there will NOT be another change later for Salt Lake to get a new major team. If we show the world that here in Utah we the people will not support a new team, then what makes you think that any team owner will want to try to move their team to salt lake. Remember these are business men. It's all about making money for them. They are not going to want to move here if no one will support their team, buy their tickets and go to their home games. That is why that RSL MUST stay. Even if it's in sandy. Like I said time and time again. Better Sandy then St. Louis.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 8:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post

And that is my whole point. Just because the stadium will not be build in downtown salt lake city or anywhere in salt lake city then screw RSL. That's why everyone hates them and wants them to fail just for that reason.
The thing is if RSL moves to St. Louis there will NOT be another change later for Salt Lake to get a new major team. If we show the world that here in Utah we the people will not support a new team, then what makes you think that any team owner will want to try to move their team to salt lake. Remember these are business men. It's all about making money for them. They are not going to want to move here if no one will support their team, buy their tickets and go to their home games. That is why that RSL MUST stay. Even if it's in sandy. Like I said time and time again. Better Sandy then St. Louis.
Sure, these team owners are buisiness men, and yes, buisiness men/women love making money, but it doesn't mean that future buisiness men/women who are owners of sports teams will not locate a team in Salt Lake City just because one buisiness man didn't get what he wanted. This is a falacy of argument. Salt Lake City certainly could get another chance, it's just a matter of time! We'll just have to wait for a time when Utah doesn't have idiots up on the Hill, screwing everything up!

Last edited by urbanboy; Mar 13, 2007 at 8:38 PM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 8:34 PM
BANNED

Question

Quote:
It is the SL METRO team!
Yes, but will the tax revenue from the stadium be distributed evenly throughout the Salt Lake Metro region?

Last edited by urbanboy; Mar 13, 2007 at 8:40 PM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Yes, but will the tax revenue from the stadium be distributed evenly throughout the Salt Lake Metro region?
Would it be distributed evenly throughout the SL metro region if the stadium was in SLC (where the minority of the people in the metro live)?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Would it be distributed evenly throughout the SL metro region if the stadium was in SLC (where the minority of the people in the metro live)?

Wow, I think we've pretty much hashed this issue to death. I oppose the proposal, but this referendum will fail, and bickering about it much more isn't going to do anyone any good.

That said, from a tax revenue distribution point of view, downtown would be a better location as most of the hotel tax collected comes from downtown hotels. The bulk of the stadium's tax revenue would be re-distributed back to the area that its funding came from.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Sure, these team owners are buisiness men, and yes, buisiness men/women love making money, but it doesn't mean that future buisiness men/women who are owners of sports teams will not locate a team in Salt Lake City just because one buisiness man didn't get what he wanted. This is a falacy of argument. Salt Lake City certainly could get another chance, it's just a matter of time! We'll just have to wait for a time when Utah doesn't have idiots up on the Hill, screwing everything up!
Let's give credit where credit is due. The so called idiot's on the hill have one of the two highest ratings of any state in the nation for fiscal responsibility. Our bond rating is the envy of the nation. These so called idiots,"both democrat and republican," didn't come by these achievements and many others, through fiscal irresponsibility. Our legislature stands head and shoulders above the bulk of state legislatures in this country.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 9:40 PM
100 days to economic ruin

Quote:
Had to take a minute to think about what they "screwed up", but I agree in part that Greg Curtis screwed up by forcing RSL to Sandy. I think this would have gone over smoother if it had been in SLC either downtown or at Fairpark.
I don't mind the tax deal they were given, but do mind the politics. Just because I agree with end result doesn't mean I agree with means used to accomplish it.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2007, 9:44 PM

Goldman Sachs dumps RSL:

Real Salt Lake soccer has new investor
By Rosemary Winters
The Salt Lake Tribune

Article Last Updated: 03/16/2007 03:01:44 PM MDT

Posted: 3:02 PM- Real Salt Lake has a new investment partner.
Goldman Sachs is out; another multibillion-dollar New York investment firm is in. But RSL isn't saying who.
During its financial wrangling with Salt Lake County government for a public funding package, the team touted the backing of Wall Street giant Goldman Sachs.
But Goldman became impatient with delays in the deal and withdrew, Sandy Mayor Tom Dolan said Friday.
In February, the Legislature - at the prodding of Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. - salvaged a plan to funnel $35 million in Salt Lake County hotel taxes to the site after county Mayor Peter Corroon deemed the stadium deal too risky.
RSL spokesman Eric Gelfand said the new investor has asked not to be named. He said there is a confidentiality agreement between RSL and the investor.
"They're just stepping into Goldman's position," Gelfand said. "The effects on our business plan are materially equal." That means the new partner will become a 50 percent owner of the team, along with Dave Checketts' SCP Worldwide, and would invest $24 million in the project and secure a $33 million construction loan for the stadium.
However, Gelfand said that Goldman Sachs could be interested in investing in the project's second phase, which includes the addition of
retail, office space and a hotel around the stadium.
rwinters@sltrib.com

I wonder if this means another delay in stadium construction.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2007, 9:49 PM

so, when will construction start? last I heard it was supposed to have started already... is this petition thing holding it up? If so, that really sucks.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2007, 10:05 PM

I think construction is waiting for approval from the Sandy City Council which should happen next week.

The Sandy Planning Commission wants to tie any money from Sandy City until RSL gives detailed parking information. I don't think that the City Council will do that. The sooner it can start, the sooner it will leave the headlines and people will forget about the whole debacle.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 7:01 AM

Quote:
so, when will construction start? last I heard it was supposed to have started already... is this petition thing holding it up? If so, that really sucks.
Based on stuff posted earlier in this thread, the state funding can't be final until sometime in late April. This is right after the deadline for the referendum signatures. If there are enough signatures (unlikely), they'll simply postpone the funding until after the vote. If there aren't enough, then the money will become available in late April.

I doubt the late April date has anything to do with the filing of the petition. It probably takes that long for any kind of public measure of this sort to take effect. There are all kinds of statutes and ordinances that require public notice, time for public objection, etc.

And it's really unlikely that construction would have started this soon anyway. A month ago this project wasn't going to happen at all and there was talk of the team moving to St. Louis. You don't start construction on a project of this size with that short of a lead time. It will take months for Sandy to approve the site plan, issue permits, get the state funding, begin to install the necessary infrastructure, etc.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 6:31 PM

just a little update on the whole soccer stadium referendum petitions...

as of march 17th....This was before Brad even left on his road trip.

With 19 days left to go before the deadline, we estimate that approximately 35,000 referendum signatures have been collected thus far.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlord View Post
just a little update on the whole soccer stadium referendum petitions...

as of march 17th....This was before Brad even left on his road trip.

With 19 days left to go before the deadline, we estimate that approximately 35,000 referendum signatures have been collected thus far.
sickening.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 7:37 PM

yeah... I'm very interested to see how many signatures they end up collecting.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 9:27 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Yea I bet just one guy sign while the other 34,999 were Brad's signatures over and over again.
Still has along ways to go.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 11:47 AM

Real now wishing on iStar — as its investor

By Amelia Nielson-Stowell and Lisa Riley Roche
Deseret Morning News
After keeping the name of their new investor under wraps for almost a week, Real Salt Lake officials said Thursday that iStar Financial will invest in the Major League Soccer team and stadium.
The firm is stepping in to replace Goldman Sachs, which pulled out as an investor last week after stadium negotiations — still not completed — dragged on for months.
The terms of the deal with iStar are the same as those of the proposed deal with Goldman Sachs, said team spokesman Eric Gelfand. New-York based iStar will own a 50 percent share of the team with Real owner Dave Checketts' company, Sports Capital Partners.
In addition, iStar will invest $24 million in the stadium project, as well as $24 million in other Real business ventures. iStar also will secure a $33 million construction loan for the stadium.
Although not as lucrative a name as Goldman Sachs, Sandy Mayor Tom Dolan said he is confident in iStar.
"They're a multibillion-dollar firm, and they may offer some more flexibility to the project," Dolan said.
Sandy and state officials requested that Real disclose the name as soon as possible, said Randy Sant, Sandy's economic development director. iStar, however, asked Real to keep it confidential.
Real's Gelfand said various companies expressed interest in partnering with Real, but iStar was at the forefront. iStar has been involved in a variety of big projects in the sports and entertainment industry. The firm's portfolio is worth $10.9 billion, including $6.9 billion of loan assets, such as the Real deal.
Andy Backman, iStar's Vice President of Investor Relations, said iStar doesn't talk publicly about investment deals, but he complimented the Real stadium.
"We liked the project scope, and we liked the involvement of Dave Checketts, who is well respected in the sports industry," Backman said.
iStar Financial will help finance the first phase of the stadium project, which includes the 42-acre stadium. Phase two would be a 136-acre mega-development with retail, office space and a hotel and broadcast studio. Goldman Sachs is still interested in investing in that second phase, Real officials said.
Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. said before the team's announcement that he had discussed the new investor with Real owner Dave Checketts within the past two weeks or so. Asked during the taping of his monthly televised press conference on KUED Channel 7 if the name of the company should be made public, Huntsman said that was up to Real.
"They're taking the business risk and the stadium, and they have to decide if their level of financial support, financial investment, makes it worthwhile," the governor said.
He said the taxpayer funds involved in the project — $35 million collected from transient room taxes paid in Salt Lake County — are coming from people staying in hotels and will be used to pay for land and parking. The project is much larger than that for the private investors, Huntsman said.
"The state's involvement in this has always been limited to securing the land where the privately funded stadium will be built, as well as the construction of a parking facility that will also greatly benefit visitors to the South Towne Expo Center," Huntsman's spokesman, Mike Mower, said after the announcement.
Meanwhile, a Salt Lake resident is wrapping up his statewide tour to collect signatures for a referendum that would allow voters to decide whether public money should be spent on the project. Brad Swedlund, 50, filed the request earlier this month and has been visiting various counties to find registered voters who will sign the petition.
State law requires Swedlund to collect nearly 92,000 signatures of voters who participated in the last gubernatorial election. Those signatures must be collected from at least 15 of Utah's 29 counties by April 9. Swedlund reported on his Web site, www.getrealutah.org, this week that 35,000 signatures have already been collected.
Meanwhile, Sandy's planning commission Thursday night voted unanimously for a code amendment that, if passed by the City Council next Tuesday, allows for off-site parking at temporary events, such as Real soccer games. Per the state's $35 million funding package, $20 million must be used for 1,000 new parking stalls within a five- to 15-minute walking radius of the stadium.
Sandy's commission voted last week to hold off on issuing $10 million from Sandy's Redevelopment Agency for Real until the parking plan meets its conditions set forth by the commission.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 12:00 PM
Bring out the cranes...

That sounds like good news for once on the stadium and for RSL.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West