HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

View Poll Results: Which transbay tower design scheme do you like best?
#1 Richard Rogers 40 8.05%
#2 Cesar Pelli 99 19.92%
#3 SOM 358 72.03%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 12:10 AM

Being one of the tallest in town adds to the prestige of a building, and to the amount the owner can charge tenants. I am wondering how owners of the existing tallest buildings in S.F feel about this zoning change that will make their properties look short, and much less marketable...

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reminiscence View Post
For months now I've held the concept of building a tower around the height of 1500'. I've always tried to imagine it, but it seemed like people I talked to were not buying it when I mentioned it, saying it would be nice, but unlikely to get approved. I posted this a few pages back to provide something of a visual aide to what I was refering to. In this shot, the Transbay Tower appears at 1500', the tallest among the buildings in the central part of the skyline.

1400' is very nice, but if they build it at my height, they would top both Taipei and Sears Tower with a higher roof, and it would become the tallest building in an earthquake zone, a testament to advances in earthquake technology. I felt as if the meeting dropped hints that such a thing is possible and that they've given it some serious thought. This along with Tyler's research makes me think we'll find this to be reality at the unveiling on August 6th. A stellar design combined with superb engineering and this supertall height should make this one building the whole world will keep its eyes on. I certainly hope I see this in a few days .
You are the man, thank you!!!

I would be as giddy as a Japanese school girl at a Hello Kitty convention if this came to fruition, imagine the construction pictures as the tower hit 500, 750, 1000, 1250 feet and just towered above San Francisco. OH MY GAWD!!!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 3:26 AM

It would make the rest of the high-rises downtown instantly obsolete...

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nequidnimis View Post
I would not go that far, it would just be another new, exciting, and beautiful addition.

The best views of Transamerica and BofA are from the north, looking south - or something like that. Honestly, don't think it will affect these buildings too much.

If these buildings were to surround Transamerica and BofA, that would not be too hot. These new buildings are going to be just south of Market (or SOMA if you like...), which isn't a very significant area in that these hi-rises will not block a whole lot.

What will change is the view as you drive by downtown on 80...but thats not a big deal. As it is now, you see a wall of skyscrapers a half mile away, now you will see some of the tallest buildings in the nation towering far above you

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 4:57 AM

I bet LA would go nuts, and try to top SF. I could only imagine.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 6:50 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokoon11 View Post
I bet LA would go nuts, and try to top SF. I could only imagine.
They have quite a lot of catching up to do, skyscraper wise.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 8:55 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Wow. Just wow:

Nice work, SFView.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 2:59 PM

I am having visions of the Chicago Skyline from Lake Michigan, as seen from this photo by wlauber on Flickr.com

...but I certainly like the view!

http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=740671706&size=l

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nequidnimis View Post
I actually think these towers are well situated. These new towers look like the tall guys standing behind the shorter guys and besides the new residential buildngs on the left and the older financial area to the right. It does not appear to take away from the embarcadero buildings either which have their distinctive lighting design in the evening.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Wow. Just wow:

Nice work, SFView.
I personally love the look and agree that the Chicago lakefront analogy is a good one. My concern would be that if people are complaining about their views being destroyed with One Rincon, what will they think with towers twice as tall? My hope is that these people are becoming increasingly marginalized.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 6:38 PM

roadwarrior:

Look how far this project has come and how little opposition it has come across. Also, because the city is backing this project (not just some developer wanting to build a tall building), makes it even harder to do anything about it.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 6:55 PM

The central Transbay core will not block views of the Bay or Bay Bridge from Twin Peaks. From Twin Peaks, they will only block views of other tall buildings and the sky behind them. The current view experience of the San Francisco hills from most street, highway and residential locations will not change due to the taller towers.

Last edited by SFView; Jul 29, 2007 at 7:52 PM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 7:04 PM
BANNED

Those things would be visible EVERYWHERE, possibly from San Jose/ Fremont area as well!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 3:20 AM
Sonoma Strong

that skyline looks siiiickkk

new wallpaper

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 3:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenratboy View Post
roadwarrior:

Look how far this project has come and how little opposition it has come across. Also, because the city is backing this project (not just some developer wanting to build a tall building), makes it even harder to do anything about it.
The University of California San Francisco wanted a tall dormitory at Mission Bay. City College wants a tall building in Chinatown. These efforts were blocked by opposition applied to politicians who caved because the only organized voices were in opposition (until recently the Chinatown proponents of the City College building have gotten some organized a bit).

I do think the fact that certain city politicians have supported the idea--or at least, like Chris Daly, said height in itself isn't bad--is helpful, but I don't trust any of them IF one or more neighborhood organizations start to voice opposition.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
The University of California San Francisco wanted a tall dormitory at Mission Bay. City College wants a tall building in Chinatown. These efforts were blocked by opposition applied to politicians who caved because the only organized voices were in opposition (until recently the Chinatown proponents of the City College building have gotten some organized a bit).

I do think the fact that certain city politicians have supported the idea--or at least, like Chris Daly, said height in itself isn't bad--is helpful, but I don't trust any of them IF one or more neighborhood organizations start to voice opposition.
Obviously SOME people will complain, but a few angry voices here and there will not be too much of an issue - and also, I think times are really changing and this is more of a (positive) reality than some sort of burden the city has to bear.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 4:57 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFView View Post
The central Transbay core will not block views of the Bay or Bay Bridge from Twin Peaks. From Twin Peaks, they will only block views of other tall buildings and the sky behind them. The current view experience of the San Francisco hills from most street, highway and residential locations will not change due to the taller towers.
As one who lives on Twin Peaks, I think that the super tall Transbay core would dramatically improve my view. It's the tall Rincon Hill towers that are and will be the most controversial.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 5:03 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post

Again, a tall building in Mission Bay would be just as controversial as on Rincon Hill because it would block views that are currently not obstructed. Tall buildings in the heart of the downtown core, including around the Transbay Terminal, won't do this.

The City College controversy in Chinatown is a different story completely, driven by the Chinese investors who own the building that is now the Hilton (formerly the Holiday Inn Financial District/Chinatown). They don't want their views blocked for commercial reasons and are being hypocritical by trying to hide this fact.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 5:46 PM
BANNED

^^^Everybody has their reasons and they don't have to seem logical to me or to you. I am simply saying it's possible that opposition to these buildings could emerge from an unexpcted quarter and some of the politicians you think are for them now could quickly switch sides.

Also, I do think there's a greater possibilty for objections from Twin Peaks than most of you seem to.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 6:46 PM

^^^I think that the City, as well as some of us on SSP, are well aware of these potential issues.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development