HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
PP is interested in becoming PM, that's about it. He has nothing to offer but stoking Trudeau exhaustion, and on housing, his big pet issue, he talks a good game but his actual platform is nonsensical. That's to say nothing of the fact that it's actual been David Eby in BC and Sean Fraser federally who are pursuing policy that is likely to actually get housing built. He attacks them as housing gatekeepers, but then has nothing to say about Rob "No Fourplexes" Ford.

Trudeau has overstayed his time in office, but electing Poilievre would be a very unfortunate swing in the other direction.
Its true Trudeau has been there a while. I wish the Conservatives would have picked somone more moderate and not full of BS to give an option.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 6:08 PM

Every election has the usual suspects in the media and in places like this standing on the sidelines pointing a finger at the opposition leader saying “Oooooh!!! Baaaad!!!”. In reality they almost never are and only make changes that tinker around the edges. JT has been a disaster so I wouldn’t worry about his successor being worse. To do that would be a Herculean effort.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 6:26 PM

TBH, pulling PP into the conversation sounds a little like whattaboutism. Sure, he hasn't impressed (not me, at least), but shooting him down before he has had a chance at the helm doesn't seem to make much sense. The person (team, actually) currently in power has already proven to make a mess of things, so the old 'fool me once, shame on you - fool me twice, shame on me' adage seems to come into play here.

As mentioned, it took a team of people without foresight/ability/knowledge (hopefully not malicious intent or silly politics as alluded to) to make this happen. If one is not a fan of PP (I'm not), one can at least hope that he will have a team surrounding him that will keep things in check. We won't know unless we try. I honestly can't see how it would be any worse, but I've been wrong before.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
TBH, pulling PP into the conversation sounds a little like whattaboutism. Sure, he hasn't impressed (not me, at least), but shooting him down before he has had a chance at the helm doesn't seem to make much sense. The person (team, actually) currently in power has already proven to make a mess of things, so the old 'fool me once, shame on you - fool me twice, shame on me' adage seems to come into play here.

As mentioned, it took a team of people without foresight/ability/knowledge (hopefully not malicious intent or silly politics as alluded to) to make this happen. If one is not a fan of PP (I'm not), one can at least hope that he will have a team surrounding him that will keep things in check. We won't know unless we try. I honestly can't see how it would be any worse, but I've been wrong before.

Until he cuts all the programs Canadians hold dear. Honestly, I don't think people understand what we are in for. Hopefully it comes out in the election.

Also, all he does is attack. I have no idea what his solution are for anything? Other than rail against Justin and the Liberals.

If he was the government right now we would be in the exact same situation, but worse. Inflation would still be high, we would still have a housing crises, and the supports to help people through would not be there.

Last edited by Haliguy; Mar 27, 2024 at 7:12 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 6:52 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
As an ex-Haligonian, I visit once in awhile to re-asses a possible move back home. The city is immeasurably nicer and more cosmopolitan than it was before but the deal breaker continues to be how auto-centric Halifax remains. That a place like Dartmouth Crossing was allowed to be built just left me shaking my head.

I remember it taking 50 minutes to get to Dalhousie from Clayton Park on a weekday morning. It's only gotten worse since then. Halifax needs LRT and it really needs to go in a tunnel like Toronto's Eglinton Crosstown. Halifax is a much smaller metro and it would be massively expensive but congestion won't get fixed without it. If 500,000 person metros in Europe can do this, so can Halifax.

The stadium? Well yes, the 42 year wait (and counting) for a CFL team is a reminder of why I left in the first place. Life's too short to wait around decades for things to happen. I'm not saying no CFL was what decided things, but it was one of many things. At some point, you just give up. I'll stick to summer vacations to Halifax.
Fortunately we could achieve a lot with a much shorter underground stretch. Maybe 3km compared to Eglinton's 10km. But we absolutely can't fix the mobility problems without a bold stance that will either piss off a lot of people (like policies that reduce the number of cars on the road and dedicate more space to transit), cost a lot of money (like building a rail system), or both. Well, assuming we don't want to wreck the city by razing swathes of stuff for wider streets, highways, and parking.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 6:57 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Fortunately we could achieve a lot with a much shorter underground stretch. Maybe 3km compared to Eglinton's 10km.
And Toronto has 70 km of subway in total. Even if Halifax built a 3 km underground transit tunnel, which seems like a gargantuan investment, it will have spent less on a per capita basis on transit than Toronto.

I have often thought that a Toronto-style streetcar line with some improvements to keep it from being stuck in traffic (like tunnel portions) would be pretty nice. It doesn't need to be super fast or high capacity, but it should be high enough frequency for schedules not to matter most of the time while being comfortable and faster than driving.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
I hope not! PP is going to be bad news.
Apparently its baked in. Matt Gurney of the Line blog had some interesting insight after having a long conversation with a Conservative insider that has been involved for decades. The insider gave credit where its due in that PP has been hammering on about affordability and has ignored the culture silliness. PP has been meeting thousands of real people after the Country wide rallies and has his finger on the pulse of folks frustrations.

The insider has consulted with Liberal friends in his same position and internal polling is showing something they have never seen before . Men are about to vote en Masse to get rid of both Trudeau and Singh. They have had enough about being taken for granted, reduced employment options, inflation and accusations of mysogany and other Liberal labels. Both parties are seeing that Quebec men for the first time in Canadian history are willing to vote against one of their own. Biding their time and there is a very solid alliance among Progressive Conservatives and Blue Liberals to fire Trudeau. That combination is what fired Harper back in 2015.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartguard View Post
Apparently its baked in. Matt Gurney of the Line blog had some interesting insight after having a long conversation with a Conservative insider that has been involved for decades. The insider gave credit where its due in that PP has been hammering on about affordability and has ignored the culture silliness. PP has been meeting thousands of real people after the Country wide rallies and has his finger on the pulse of folks frustrations.

The insider has consulted with Liberal friends in his same position and internal polling is showing something they have never seen before . Men are about to vote en Masse to get rid of both Trudeau and Singh. They have had enough about being taken for granted, reduced employment options, inflation and accusations of mysogany and other Liberal labels. Both parties are seeing that Quebec men for the first time in Canadian history are willing to vote against one of their own. Biding their time and there is a very solid alliance among Progressive Conservatives and Blue Liberals to fire Trudeau. That combination is what fired Harper back in 2015.
Taking for granted? How so?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 8:13 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Oh geez I hope you're not taking this seriously.

Eventually every government dies just like every person dies. It doesn't matter how good our bad the government is just like it doesn't matter how health and safety conscious a person is. All it does in either case is extend or shorten the lifespan. But governments , like people, are never perfect. And once they reach an absolute number of failures and mistakes then the public gets fed up and boots them out. Let's say that number is 100 bad things. A government may have failed or poorly executed 100 out of 200 things it tried to do. Or it may have a ratio of 400 successes to 100 failures or 1,000 successes to 100 failures. That's the difference between a terrible, mediocre, or successful record. But once they reach that 100 failures threshold then people will have had enough. The only difference is how long it takes to get to that point.

Maybe it's one term, maybe it's two, or four or whatever. But no matter how low the percentage of failures you will get there eventually. Of course there isn't any absolute number of failures where people reach the point of being fed up. Some things are bigger and more important than others and some opposition parties are better at publicizing and exploiting failures. But the general existence of a threshold remains the same. But when that point does come, confirmation bias leads each individual opposed person to assume the rest of the public now agrees with their particular view.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Most people that run business's are Men. Most Landlords are Men. The Military are mostly Men. Have those three categories of Canadian society been respected? No, we have the most anti Business, Wealth generating, and anti Military government in the history of the Country.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Until he cuts all the programs Canadians hold dear. Honestly, I don't think people understand what we are in for. Hopefully it comes out in the election.

Also, all he does is attack. I have no idea what his solution are for anything? Other than rail against Justin and the Liberals.

If he was the government right now we would be in the exact same situation, but worse. Inflation would still be high, we would still have a housing crises, and the supports to help people through would not be there.
There's always so much speculation and partisanship surrounding elections and politics in general, that in the end most of it comes down to opinion... it's politics after all.

As to which party would be best in power, or which "leader" we should want to prop up as a representative of our country, I say the pickings are slim, but it's no secret the the current crew has made a mess of things. We can speculate as to what it might be like if another little-known quantity was in place, but nobody will really know until it happens... then we can complain about him/them and vote them out after one or two terms, or whatever. For me it's not really worth debating.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Most people that run business's are Men. Most Landlords are Men. The Military are mostly Men. Have those three categories of Canadian society been respected? No, we have the most anti Business, Wealth generating, and anti Military government in the history of the Country.
So dramatic and not true!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 1:39 AM

Quote:
So dramatic and not true!
Well Men are going to vote out the present Government. That will be a little drama.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
PP is interested in becoming PM, that's about it. He has nothing to offer but stoking Trudeau exhaustion, and on housing, his big pet issue, he talks a good game but his actual platform is nonsensical. That's to say nothing of the fact that it's actual been David Eby in BC and Sean Fraser federally who are pursuing policy that is likely to actually get housing built. He attacks them as housing gatekeepers, but then has nothing to say about Rob "No Fourplexes" Ford.

Trudeau has overstayed his time in office, but electing Poilievre would be a very unfortunate swing in the other direction.
Sean Fraser was Minister of Immigration until 2023. He is the person most responsible for the current housing crisis.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Hahahahahahaha...wow. What you are illustrating is the deep cultural advantage that men (sorry...Men!!) have had through Canadian history. This feature of our history does not reflect some inherent capacity for men, and only men, to do these things. If any disrespect is being offered, it is towards this kind of childish thinking.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 5:22 PM
Volatile Pacivist

It's just ridiculous on so many different levels it's hard to even respond. Beyond the systemic, historic inequality part of it, there's also that the vast majority of men are not landlord, business people or military personnel. Men are everything - doctors, lawyers, teachers, bus and taxi drivers, food delivery guys, janitors, waiters, engineers, you name it. So the idea that say, a store clerk is thinking to himself, "the government isn't being nice enough to my landlord, and since the my landlord is male (as are many other landlords), and I am also male, therefore I should vote for a government that will coddle my landlord.

And even the basic premise that the government isn't "respecting" those sectors of society is pretty shaky. For instance, the current housing crisis is absolutely wonderful for landlords because it has driven up prices so substantially. Yes in some jurisdictions there are regulations that limit how much rents can be increased. But even so, having a low vacancy rate greatly benefits landlords because they can pick and choose exactly who they want to lease to, don't lose money due to periods of vacancy, and don't need to spend much on advertising, promotions or incentives to attract renters, etc.

Last edited by Nouvellecosse; Mar 28, 2024 at 8:37 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchipman View Post
Hahahahahahaha...wow. What you are illustrating is the deep cultural advantage that men (sorry...Men!!) have had through Canadian history. This feature of our history does not reflect some inherent capacity for men, and only men, to do these things. If any disrespect is being offered, it is towards this kind of childish thinking.
Men built this Country despite the present Gender based and biased Federal Government. Trudeau however has driven out everyone of experience and talent from his Cabinet.
Mark Garneau, Canada's first Astronaut
General Leslie, head of the Canadian Army. Managed a 4 Billion dollar budget
Morneau, the only other Liberal that can count
Scott Brison, making a mint in Toronto now
Gerry Butts, the Climate activist that Gave Trudeau his Majority

You know the Ladies that have left.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 8:13 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Landlords are making a killing, ask lio, and any business associated with F.I.RE - Finance, Insurance, Real Estate has done tremendously well with Canada focusing on real estate speculation as a foundation of the current Canadian economy

You can criticize a lot of things, these industries are flourishing.

Halifax is now one of the most expensive rental markets in all of Canada :
1 bedrooms are $2,000/month
2 bedrooms are $2,600/month
https://www.zumper.com/blog/rental-price-data-canada/

Do you think women contribute nothing to the Canadian economy? 1964 called, they want their misogynistic views back.

At first I thought your post was parody.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTG_78 View Post
Sean Fraser was Minister of Immigration until 2023. He is the person most responsible for the current housing crisis.
A: His previous ministerial position doesn't change his current achievements.

B: It's unequestionably true that around 2021, temporary immigration levels started getting out of control. That is a whole-of-government problem, and reflects a lack of foresight on the part of many. That's a legitimate criticism. But it's not the fault of one person.

C: Poilievre has so far added nothing to the national conversation except "Justin Trudeau is resonsible for everything currently wrong with Canada," which an incredible number of people seem to think is all there is to it.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Landlords are making a killing, ask lio, and any business associated with F.I.RE - Finance, Insurance, Real Estate has done tremendously well with Canada focusing on real estate speculation as a foundation of the current Canadian economy

You can criticize a lot of things, these industries are flourishing.

Halifax is now one of the most expensive rental markets in all of Canada :
1 bedrooms are $2,000/month
2 bedrooms are $2,600/month
https://www.zumper.com/blog/rental-price-data-canada/

Do you think women contribute nothing to the Canadian economy? 1964 called, they want their misogynistic views back.

At first I thought your post was parody.
Of course Women contribute to the Economy. I said that Men BUILT the Country. Small Landlords in the Halifax area BTW way are selling out especially when they have to remortgage as its not profitable any more with the Provincial rent control. They will do quite well when they sell but it has led to a huge reduction in affordable units as there is no limit to what the new owners can and are charging. A local non profit society has estimated that close to 8,000 formally affordable units have been sold in the Halifax area in the last 3 years. Unforeseen consequences but the market has spoken.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment