HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 11:06 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Doubtful. Calgary will remain as bland and devoid of culture as is Phoenix or Houston, though with a much, much lousier climate.
I wouldn't consider Houston's climate to be all that great (unless you enjoy 100% humidity and +30 and above temps nearly year-round). Also, don't forget hurricane season!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
I wouldn't consider Houston's climate to be all that great (unless you enjoy 100% humidity and +30 and above temps nearly year-round). Also, don't forget hurricane season!
Daily maxima above 30°C from May through Sept. only. Winters are usually in the 16° to 19°C range during the daytime. March, April, October and November are perfect. Frost on winter nights is rare.

Contrast to Calgary where snow in June or August is not uncommon and snow in any given May or September is a near certainty. Humidity is good for the skin and hair. Those who have lived in Calgary for many years look very weathered because of the dryness.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 3:55 AM
I am a typical

The worst part about Houston isn't the climate, but that it's in Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That is depressing. It's like having parasites, but only in this case the parasites are human.
Yeah, it's really disturbing.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
The worst part about Houston isn't the climate, but that it's in Texas.
Texas has a GDP larger than Canada, despite 9 million fewer people, and a debt to GDP ratio 40% that of Ontario. I know which jurisdiction I'd chose if I was an investor.

Canada now 17th in terms of GDP (PPP) per capita. Despite our immense natural resources this country is below countries such as Ireland, The Netherlands, Sweden, Austria and Denmark. Canada's GDP (PPP) per capita is now just 79% of the USA and has slipped well below Australia's.

Very, very poorly governed and with forecast economic growth in 2020-21 barely above the rate of (artificial and unsustainable) population growth. Essentially a no growth economy.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Texas has a GDP larger than Canada, despite 9 million fewer people, and a debt to GDP ratio 40% that of Ontario. I know which jurisdiction I'd chose if I was an investor.

Canada now 17th in terms of GDP (PPP) per capita. Despite our immense natural resources this country is below countries such as Ireland, The Netherlands, Sweden, Austria and Denmark. Canada's GDP (PPP) per capita is now just 79% of the USA and has slipped well below Australia's.

Very, very poorly governed and with forecast economic growth in 2020-21 barely above the rate of (artificial and unsustainable) population growth. Essentially a no growth economy.
Canada is growing too fast to keep up with good GDP/capita. Canada is in a race to hit 100 million by the end of the century.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 4:50 AM
I am a typical

Quote:

I mean, the people are pretty fucking shitty. It's bad enough I have to live surrounded by Thunder Bayers. I'd probably kill myself if I had to be surrounded by Texans.

Growth isn't everything, and growth isn't forever.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 5:01 AM

Quote:
I mean, the people are pretty fucking shitty. It's bad enough I have to live surrounded by Thunder Bayers. I'd probably kill myself if I had to be surrounded by Texans.

Growth isn't everything, and growth isn't forever.
If the population keeps growing the pie has to grow too.

Unless you want to end up with living standards similar to Argentina or Brazil, or worse. Well on our way.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 5:07 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
If the population keeps growing the pie has to grow too.

Unless you want to end up with living standards similar to Argentina or Brazil, or worse. Well on our way.
Who said the population has to keep growing?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Your federal government.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 6:55 AM
surely you agree with me

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 8:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Probably the worst thing for climate change in Canada is a larger population but the left and the tax loving liberals don’t care!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Your federal government.
I.e., the people of Canada ...

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 4:01 PM
arf

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I.e., the people of Canada ...
In B.C. and Manitoba the government received the support of barely a quarter of those who bothered to cast a ballot, it was roughly one eighth of those in Alberta and Saskatchewan. Fifteen out of 104 seats.

Not the people here.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 5:08 PM

^ I think he meant, Federal Government "represents" the people of Canada (people of Eastern half Canada best), not all people of Canada are Federal Government.
Whether Justin is wearing black face or extolling Cuban dictators, inviting known convicts on tours of India, or having trouble distinguishing where visiting "Chinese"(Japanese) diplomats to Ottawa are from, or even just snubbing American leaders on hidden open mics for UK reporters, which is probably number 1 rule never to do in international diplomacy guide book. Even though Justin got less votes than Scheer in the last election, Justin still represents 100% of each & every single Canadian, both in mentality & stupidity internationally.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Doubtful. Calgary will remain as bland and devoid of culture as is Phoenix or Houston, though with a much, much lousier climate.
And fucking Winnipeg is better? that's hilarious.

Quote:
Daily maxima above 30°C from May through Sept. only. Winters are usually in the 16° to 19°C range during the daytime. March, April, October and November are perfect. Frost on winter nights is rare.

Contrast to Calgary where snow in June or August is not uncommon and snow in any given May or September is a near certainty. Humidity is good for the skin and hair. Those who have lived in Calgary for many years look very weathered because of the dryness.
Well you're just completely full of shit aren't you. Where do you live that's such a paradise?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
And fucking Winnipeg is better? that's hilarious.
Culturally and aesthetically most definitely better, unless your idea of beautiful is beige.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 5:45 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
And fucking Winnipeg is better? that's hilarious

Easy there fella.

Winnipeg is bastion of weather stability in an unstable world.

Its cold and white in the winter, warm and green in the summer, with a couple shitty, short shoulder seasons thrown in for good measure.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Culturally and aesthetically most definitely better, unless your idea of beautiful is beige.
I disagree completely with this statement, Winnipeg has a ton of potrential with it's history but the city is just dirty and run down. There are like 3 nice new buildings in the downtown and the suburbs look the same as any suburbs in North America built in the last 40 years. What is this superior culture you speak of? did Winnipeg somehow turn into Broadway or something?

I get that people have civic pride and all that, but this "superior culture" argument everyone tries to use against Calgary is hilarious. Whatever you have in Winnipeg we have here, and vise versa.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Easy there fella.

Winnipeg is bastion of weather stability in an unstable world.

Its cold and white in the winter, warm and green in the summer, with a couple shitty, short shoulder seasons thrown in for good measure.
Winnipeg wins for weather in the summer, won't argue that. I'll take a chinook a few times a month over a marathon of -20 for 4 months straight though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada