HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 3:01 AM
homemoaner

The AMPAS building is at Fountain and Vine, south of Sunset.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 9:56 PM

That article is from January, it will be next to its existing Hollywood facility on Vine. I saw it mentioned on the Oscar Telecast.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 5:48 AM

March 6, 2007

Blackstone to buy Tussauds' parent
The $1.9-billion deal would add to the private equity firm's stable of attractions, which includes Legoland.

LONDON — Private equity firm Blackstone Group is buying Tussauds Group, owner of Madame Tussauds wax museums, for about $1.9 billion in cash, creating the world's second-biggest theme park group, behind Walt Disney Co.

The deal, announced Monday, would combine Tussauds, one of London's biggest tourist attractions, Sea Life aquariums and the London Eye Ferris wheel with New York-based Blackstone's Legoland and Gardaland theme parks, which are held in its Merlin Entertainments Group.

The newly enlarged tourist attraction group plans to accelerate expansion, particularly in North America, with a Legoland in the Kansas City, Mo., area and a Sea Life in California already in the works.

"If we were sitting here five years from now, I think we'd be disappointed if we weren't operating 10 businesses, from three now, under three different brand names in America," Merlin Chief Executive Nick Varney said.

Tussauds is also planning to open wax museums, home to lifelike re-creations of the world's biggest celebrities such as Queen Elizabeth and Brad Pitt, in Washington this year and in Hollywood in 2008.

The group is planning to spend as much as $118.2 million each year to roll out four or five attractions to exploit the brands before an eventual initial public stock offering, Varney said.

"I think all those things point to a stock market flotation in three or four years' time," Varney said. "That is probably the most likely outcome."

Dubai International Capital, a government-backed buyout firm, bought Tussauds Group for about $1.5 billion two years ago. It is retaining a 20% stake in the merged group.

The combined 50 attractions and four hotels drew about 30 million visitors last year. Only Disney's theme parks attract more visitors globally.

Merlin and Tussauds currently rank sixth and seventh, respectively, Varney said.

The new group, which does not anticipate much in the way of cost savings from the combination, aims to create clusters of short-visit and long-term attractions with related hotels, enabling more efficient marketing and revenue growth.

Tussauds was sold by Pearson, the world's biggest educational publisher, in 1998 to Charterhouse Capital Partners. It has grown to 6,000 staff members last year from 2,000 when it was acquired, Tussauds CEO Peter Phillipson said.

Britain-based Tussauds Group also operates the Alton Towers, Thorpe Park and Chessington World of Adventures theme parks in Britain.

Merlin operates the Dungeons and Earth Explorer tourist sites in addition to four Legoland theme parks and Italy's biggest theme park, Gardaland.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 10:57 AM

^ Damn, the wax museum probably won't break ground until next year while we wait for DC to start theirs! I'm more concerned about getting rid of another deadzone and replacing it with something flashy to build on the critical mass of entertainment venues collecting in Hollywood.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 6:08 PM

i think you read it wrong. they plan to OPEN in Hollywood in 2008, so they have to start pretty soon.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 11:12 PM

^ I will believe it when I see the auspicious green tarp-fence surround that ugly lot!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
Film Academy Plans Hollywood Movie Museum

LOS ANGELES -- Film executives are moving forward with a long-planned movie museum they hope will lure more visitors to the heart of America's film industry.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, which is building the museum, has selected a site for the $200 million film archive about a half-mile south of the intersection of Hollywood Boulevard and Vine Street said Bruce Davis, the academy's director.

"I think it has a chance of being enormously successful in getting visitors," Davis said.

Groundbreaking is set for 2008 on the museum, which will occupy 75,000 square feet next to the film academy's Pickford Center for Motion Picture Study.
The academy's museum committee hasn't considered an architect yet, but Davis said members want the displays to be shown in pavilions spread over an outdoor space, "since the weather is what attracted the movies here in the first place."

Some of the pavilions would house exhibits on the history of film, while others would be used for changing exhibits on different subjects, he said.

The academy already owns much of the land at the planned site, but still needs to acquire some parcels along an adjacent commercial strip of chain restaurants and discount shops, Davis said.

"People come to Hollywood and look for things that teach them about the art form of movies, and it is astonishing that there are only a few things," he said.
I just want to clarify that this article is from January of 2006 and that a more recent article mentioned that Gallagher & Associates had been commissioned to design the exhibits. Groundbreaking is now anticipated for 2009.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2007, 12:23 AM

I'm not sure if anyone else has seen it, but the historic building at the northeast corner of Hollywood & Vine (I forgot what it's called) is now scaffoldding-free and is beautifully lit during nighttime hours.

I saw it last night and it looked great! I can't wait till the renovations of the other 2 buildings at that corner are completed.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2007, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarLarRec1 View Post
I'm not sure if anyone else has seen it, but the historic building at the northeast corner of Hollywood & Vine (I forgot what it's called) is now scaffoldding-free and is beautifully lit during nighttime hours.

I saw it last night and it looked great! I can't wait till the renovations of the other 2 buildings at that corner are completed.
Are you talking about the Bank of Hollywood building? I love this building and have always wanted it to be renovated, thanks for the news!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2007, 2:28 AM
übersupermegascraper

^ dude, that's hollywood & highland, not hollywood & vine

Old Posted Mar 15, 2007, 2:54 AM

March 15, 2007
Out of castle's shadow
Bar Marmont is not strictly a restaurant, but it does offer a new menu substantial enough to fuel a long night of partying.

By S. Irene Virbila, Times Staff Writer

CHATEAU MARMONT, the glam 1920s hotel on a hill above the Sunset Strip, has always owned the walls of Bar Marmont down below, but until recently the space was leased out. Now this sexy spot is run by the hotel, and changes are afoot. The biggest: a new chef, and not just a line cook, but the former chef de cuisine of the New York gastropub the Spotted Pig. Her name is Carolynn Spence, and her new menu looked good enough to warrant a visit.

The bar's look is an enchanting mix of slightly shabby and bohemian, and the scene is a wild brew of A-listers, poseurs and tourists who've passed muster with the muscle at the door. Drifts of real or fake (it's too dark to tell) Monarch butterflies are pinned to the ceiling. Ornate lamps with red silk shades and marbled glass light fixtures from some antiquarian's stash dangle from the ceiling. A party of rock 'n' rollers may be tucked away in the small room at the end of the bar. And in the long, yellowed ivory dining room animated lovers and friends are seated within inches of one another along banquettes.

Bar Marmont is not strictly a restaurant, but it does offer a short, succinct menu of bar snacks, small plates and a handful of dishes substantial enough to fuel a long night of partying.

In its previous incarnation the food was never the draw, but that could change. As I looked over the new menu, the word "goug–res" leapt out from the bar snacks category. Cheese is supposed to smooth out any rough edges in a wine, and goug–res are a favorite with winemakers in Burgundy. Bar Marmont's are delicious, like miniature popovers, served wrapped in a cloth napkin to keep them warm. Other bar snacks include the usual olives and mixed nuts, but also tarragon lupine beans and "boozy" bacon prunes.

You can get half a dozen oysters on the half shell with Bloody Mary mignonette for seasoning, or a selection of three cheeses with fig toast and buckwheat honey. More interesting is the spicy lamb and pea crepinette with a minty salsa verde or crispy rosemary artichokes with a lemon-drenched aioli. Tomato soup comes with asparagus and a Parmesan crisp. And tomato salad gets a lift from lovely opal basil and ricotta salata.

More substantial appetites can tuck into a "damn good burger" with homemade ketchup and fixings. Spence makes her gnocchi with sheep's milk ricotta — a nice touch. Grilled Porterhouse, though well-priced at $29 (versus the $40-something charged at some steakhouses), wasn't top quality. A hangar steak might fit the concept and the place better.

The menu offers something for everyone: vegetarians (tagliatelle with wild mushrooms and artichokes), fish-lovers (crispy skinned salmon), even French fry connoisseurs (here they come with three different dips). For those with a sweet tooth, there's salty pistachio crumble with pistachio gelato and affogato (ice cream drowned in espresso), which seem pricey at $11 each.

But then, nobody expects a bar like this to be inexpensive. And guaranteed, there's nothing else on the Strip with Bar Marmont's sort of low-key glamour. Tant pis.

Bar Marmont
Where: 8171 W. Sunset Blvd., West Hollywood
When: 6 p.m. to 2 a.m. daily. Kitchen closes at 1 a.m.
Price: Bar snacks, $5 to $7; appetizers, $8 to $18; salads, $9 to $12; entrees, $19 to $29; sides, $7; desserts, $11. Full bar. Valet parking, $18.
Info: (323) 650-0575

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 4:09 PM

saw this from curbed la:

The Chamber was represented at a hearing this week in support of JPI Development’s proposed Jefferson at Hollywood project. Vice President of Public Policy Rochelle Silsbee testified that the development is an important addition to the revitalization of Hollywood at a highly visible entrance to the community. Located at the corner of Highland Ave. and Yucca Street, the project will feature 270 residential apartments, about 8,500-sq.ft. of retail space, with 470 parking spaces to serve the development and an additional 285 spaces provided for public parking. The public parking spaces will fill an important need at this location, since the adjacent historic buildings fronting Hollywood Blvd. do not have parking spaces of their own.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 4:36 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Good deal... I hope it comes to fruition and gets started soon because those parking lots are an eyesore. The design is rather tiresome though and all too familiar with everything else going up.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 8:55 PM

^ Yeah, the design is getting a lot of play here in LA, but maybe it will come to be identified with the city down the road... I don't mind it so much. Is there a name for that style of building?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 10:24 PM

I was hoping they would incorporate something a bit more daring into developments adjacent to Hollywood+Highland.

One of the ideas I had was to bring Conan O'Brien down from Burbank to Hollywood after he replaces Leno in the future. I met with the CRA about this when I was at the DCBID. They were more interested in AFI at the time (American Film Institute) taking over some old space on Hollywood Blvd. But Conan O'Brien would be an important addition to the entertainment oriented Hollywood.

It would have been puuuurfect if (cash-strapped) NBC decided to build a taping studio in back of the historic building at Hollywood and Highland. This Jefferson development has very little retail space and doesn't take into account that the future for Hollywood is much bigger than "8,000 square feet."

But I'm glad to see it proposed anyway. One less deadzone is definitely a blessing any way u look at it.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 6:43 PM

CRA-LA

Unwrapping Hollywood Landmark's Many Stories

Owners of a gutted Sunset tower say all asbestos was removed before a protective plastic shroud was damaged.

By Bob Pool, Times Staff Writer
March 23, 2007

In the beginning, Los Angeles' first modern skyscraper won acclaim. Then, the Sunset-Vine Tower somehow turned into the city's most cursed landmark.

Some of its problems were real. An electrical explosion in 2001 burned out its entire power system. There was a surprise lockout of its tenants by city officials. Squatters took over the 20-story building and turned it into what some called "the world's biggest crack house." Others were imaginary. The 1974 image of the building, at the southeast corner of Sunset Boulevard and Vine Street, falling apart was merely a special effect for the thrill flick "Earthquake." The spectacular 2005 fire that turned the place into a towering inferno ended up causing no damage at all.

And now the tower's asbestos scare of 2007 turns out to be fake, too. Developers, who have gutted the high-rise to turn it into luxury apartments, say there was no public health hazard when winds ripped away a plastic shroud that encased the tower to stop the escape of asbestos particles, which can cause cancer.

The removal of asbestos fireproofing material from the building had been completed by late December when high winds began tearing the plastic covering loose and blowing through the skeletonized structure, say officials of the CIM Group, which owns the building and is converting it to 63 residential units. "There's basically no asbestos left in the building," said Ryan Harter, vice president of investments for CIM. "The abatement was complete in the third quarter of last year. I want people to know we haven't put any people in danger."

When the white plastic was first wrapped last year around the 306-foot-high scaffolding that surrounds the building, locals nicknamed it "the condom." After residents complained of the large cellphone company ads that popped up on the plastic, CIM executives in late October explained that the exterior wrap was not there for advertising purposes but to prevent asbestos from escaping. That prompted some to worry that with the plastic covering gone, the wind was sending asbestos raining down on Hollywood neighborhoods near the tower.

Harter said the outer plastic shell had only been a secondary asbestos barrier. There were other containment "envelopes" inside the high-rise, where asbestos-laden fireproofing material was being scraped away from steel beams. Air sampling was done before those containment barriers were taken down. New plastic covering will be attached to the exterior scaffolding next month to protect workers who will begin installing a sleek new facade — an all-glass curtain wall that features space for nine-story, Sunset Strip-style super graphics on the building's sides.

CIM Group, meanwhile, continues to "work through" issues surrounding the Dec. 6, 2001, electrical fire that caused so much trouble for the Sunset-Vine Tower, Harter said. The blaze plunged the skyscraper into darkness and sent employees of 40 companies with offices there clambering down stairwells to safety. Tenants said an underground electrical transformer next to the building's underground parking garage blew up and caught fire.

The high rise's then-owner, Roy Mehdizadeh, blamed recurring Hollywood-area transformer explosions on power surges related to construction at the nearby Hollywood & Highland shopping center. But the city's Department of Water and Power denied responsibility.

City building and fire officials allowed tenants to briefly return to their offices to retrieve important papers. But authorities refused to let them rent a generator to run the elevators to help in removing heavy equipment. Officials said the building was unsafe because its fire alarm system had been knocked out by the transformer fire.

Lawyer Thomas Hunter Russell, who had offices in the tower for 26 years, paid a work crew $25,000 to lug legal files and computers from his 10th-floor suite. An executive of radio station KWKW-AM (1330) carried a computer down 16 floors. Broadcast equipment had to be left behind in the darkened studios of radio stations KWKU-AM (1220) and KIRN-AM (670), which were also given a short period to carry as many things as possible down the stairs. Tenants who couldn't afford to pay professional movers as much as $1,200 to carry down a copy machine from upper floors were out of luck. So were those who did not remove all their office files and records during the city's brief authorized re-entry period.

Squatters managed to break in, however, and the results of their vandalism are visible through the darkened tower's windows. Among the victims was the architectural firm of Honnold, Reibsamen & Rex, which occupied an 18th-floor suite. "Their offices were vandalized, and squatters destroyed their entire archives," said Tony Merchell, a Palm Springs architectural historian. "It was a major loss. It's so hard to recreate a career from newspaper clippings."

Douglas Honnold was a pioneering modernist architect whose work ranged from the iconic Trocadero and Ciro's restaurants and the 1950s Biff's coffee shop to private homes of film stars such as Dolores del Rio and large office buildings such as the Los Angeles County Hall of Records. Honnold also designed the Sunset-Vine Tower.

Built in 1963, it was the first skyscraper built after Los Angeles rescinded its long-standing ban on buildings taller than 13 stories. By the end of that year, it was garnering state and international design awards. The American Institute of Architects named it the best structure built in Los Angeles in the previous five years, picking it from among 8,000 eligible projects.

Its proximity to Hollywood studios made the tower a popular filming spot. It had its own starring role in Universal's "Earthquake," when the movie's first major quake stunt sequence had it shaking apart and raining debris down on Charlton Heston and Ava Gardner. Also featured in the film were George Kennedy, Lorne Greene, Genevieve Bujold, Richard Roundtree and a new, theater-shaking sound system called "Sensurround."

The 2005 roof fire, blamed on a cutting torch used in the renovation, only burned material earmarked for demolition. But firefighters who carried as much as 100 pounds of gear up stairwells to get to the blaze had to undergo asbestos decontamination afterward. Although the original building featured a popular penthouse restaurant, the 360, commercial space in the new apartment tower will be restricted to about 9,000 square feet at the bottom, according to CIM officials.

They said the reconstruction is expected to be finished and the 63 apartments ready for occupancy in the fall of 2008 — hoping to capitalize on Hollywood's renaissance. So breathe easy, Tinseltown.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 12:47 AM

This Oscar goes to … the first taker
A 1930s Academy Award lies among the furniture up for grabs at a Hollywood home.
By Deborah Schoch, Times Staff Writer
March 25, 2007

The early morning browsers at the estate sale on Miller Drive found the typical crystal, dining room set, Wedgwood collection — and, in the jewelry case, an Oscar for best supporting actor, on sale for $150,000.

At first glance, it looked too small to be an Oscar. A shopper in a rush might miss it altogether. The figure holding the sword is shorter and a bit more squat than the statuettes given out today, and he stands next to an engraved plaque. But it's an older model.

"Presented to Joseph Schildkraut," it reads, "in recognition of his performance in 'The Life of Emile Zola,' 1937."

This is Hollywood, and one never knows what memorabilia may show up at Saturday garage sales.

But even here on the steep, twisting streets of the Hollywood Hills, Oscars are not a common sale item. On Saturday morning, no one seemed in a rush to buy it. The hot items seemed to be the furniture: the dining room set, the upstairs vanity, the yellow chaise longue.

Some shoppers said they wouldn't want it, even if they had the money.

"I didn't win it," said Mahnaz Hendifar of Los Angeles, who was shopping for glassware instead. "That Oscar means something to the person who won it."

Only a few people interviewed outside the simple two-story home even recognized the name of Joseph Schildkraut, who took home the statuette for his performance as Captain Alfred Dreyfus.

But Evelyn Kilbrick, a neighbor and self-described film buff, said she went to the sale because she knew Schildkraut's work, and, besides, she is looking for an armoire for her television.

"Most people don't know who he is, or was," Kilbrick said. "He was never a Tom Cruise. But he's a nice-looking man, and he usually played the other guy." She remembers him best from "The Shop Around the Corner." A wonderful film, she said.

Schildkraut, the son of actor Rudolf Schildkraut, may be best known today for his role as Otto Frank in the 1959 film "The Diary of Anne Frank," which he called the culmination of his 60-year career.

He also had roles in dozens of other films, including "Orphans of the Storm," "The Three Musketeers" and "Flame of the Barbary Coast." He performed on Broadway and appeared in a well-known "Twilight Zone" episode in 1962 called "The Trade-Ins."

Schildkraut died at 67 in 1964, leaving behind his third wife, Leonora Schildkraut, who owns the Miller Drive house where the three-day estate sale is being held. She is a former music editor whose radio broadcasts for children became well known.

It was her choice to sell the statuette, said Wendy M. Gerdau, owner of Treasures Estate Sales, which is holding the sale.

"She has been the keeper of the Oscar for many, many years, and it's time for someone else to enjoy it," Gerdau said.

Schildkraut was known as an intellectual, and his extensive collection of records and books has been donated to USC, she said.

Leonora Schildkraut could not be reached for comment Saturday, nor could a spokeswoman for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, which sponsors the awards.

Historically, academy officials have frowned on the sale of Oscar statuettes. Since 1950, they have asked all Oscar recipients to sign an agreement stating that the first right of purchase goes to the academy, for the price of $1.

In one well-known case, Beatrice Welles, the daughter of Orson Welles, fought to be able to sell her father's Oscar as co-writer for "Citizen Kane." Christie's auction house withdrew it from sale in 2003 after the academy raised objections.

The rules haven't stopped the buying and selling of the statuettes awarded before 1950. Ronald Colman's best acting award for the 1947 film "A Double Life" sold at Christie's for $147,500 in 2002. In 1999, Michael Jackson paid $1.54 million for the 1939 best picture Oscar for "Gone With the Wind." Steven Spielberg has bought several Oscars and returned them to the academy.

As of Saturday evening, Schildkraut's Oscar was still for sale.

Kilbrick, who would not give her age — "senior citizen would be preferable," she said — bought only a china hors d'oeuvre dish.

She said she enjoyed viewing the items in Schildkraut's house, including the art prints and the baby grand piano given to him at age 13. It was rather like a museum, she said.

"You just got that feeling of what it might have been like for them in those times," Kilbrick said. "It's a little piece of Hollywood, old-time Hollywood."

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 9:58 PM
urbanphile

sunset and gower

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 10:18 PM

^ Wonder who the developer is on this one? Looks like it could add some VERY NICE density to Hollywood and near the Metro stop and Blvd 6200/W Hotel.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 10:23 PM

Great find!!! I am so glad that this tower doesn't have that "little hat" like all the others. The fact that it is going to tower 40 stories is a nice addition to the hollywood skyline!!!!

Name: The Columbia Square project (40 stories approx 480 feet)

Developer: Apollo Real Estate Advisors

Architecture: Johnson Fain

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West