HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 3:09 AM
BANNED

Bombers win again!!!

5-2!!!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 2:09 PM

The big test comes next week vs. Edmonton... the Bombers have lost both games against the elite western teams that they've played, and they're going to have to pull if off against one of them if they want to be considered a real contender. It'll be an interesting game.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 8:37 PM

Really fun game last night, wish I could have gone. The atmosphere really was visible on tv.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Really fun game last night, wish I could have gone. The atmosphere really was visible on tv.
It was epic... the stars all lined up yesterday in a way I don't remember since the Bombers still played at the old stadium. Mid-season "statement game", top-notch opponent, great Bomber performance, perfect summer evening, VICTORY.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 8:50 PM

Great game last night. Couldn't make it, so watched on TV. Bombers were looking pretty good. Need some clean up on defense, but overall everything went well for the Blue.

Too bad the next home game isn't until Banjo Bowl. Was a beautiful evening. Damn those weekend cottagers! haha Basically only have 2 home games in the prime summer months..

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 9:09 PM

^ I wish there could be more Friday nighters... is there a team in the league that has fewer of then than us? I hate having to dash home right after the game to get to bed since I have to get up early the next day. The vibe is always way better on a Friday too.

Who is this cottage mafia that prevents us from enjoying football on Friday?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 9:20 PM

The bombers specifically request dates during the week for july and august because of complaints from cottagers. Not sure how that compares to the rest of the league. But guessing there are more games elsewhere on weekends to make up for the lack of games in Winnipeg during the summer.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 11:06 PM
Armchair urbanist

Cottagers with season tickets can sell/give them away and watch from the cottage can't they?

This season has a good balance of Thu, Fri and Sat home games though

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 12:36 AM

I get not having Saturday games in the summer, but honestly, what big deal is it to miss a couple of Friday nights at the lake a summer?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 3:31 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Either way, f*** the cottage mafia!

That game last night proved that the Bombers can play against any team. So far we won like what, 5 or 6 games in a row now? Not that I'm complaining of course. We're doing great right now, and the team is finally coming together. Defence is getting better, but of course, so there's always room for improvement.

Other than that, I'm happy. I need to attend a game this year though. I haven't had the chance last year, but I promised myself this year I would go to a game.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It was epic... the stars all lined up yesterday in a way I don't remember since the Bombers still played at the old stadium. Mid-season "statement game", top-notch opponent, great Bomber performance, perfect summer evening, VICTORY.
A few of my buddies came out from Southern Ontario for the weekend to surprise me for my birthday and we went to the game. They were blown away by the game / stadium / atmosphere. We all could barely talk friday. We all had a blast. As mentioned was absolutely perfect night at IGF.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 5:11 PM

The lack of Friday name games for the Bombers has ZERO to do with cottagers and is 100% because we are in the central time zone. To have a Friday night game we would need to have kickoff no later than 6:00 pm so that TSN can air their precious double header. The location of the stadium makes anything earlier than 7.30 pm on a weekday a complete non-starter for the team as actual ticket holders, not some imagined group, won't get there on time. Also with the amount of money TSN pays for the TV rights this is likely something that won't change anytime soon.

The choices are: Thursday, Saturday or Sunday.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 5:17 PM

^ It's not like TSN does a double header every Friday... it's sporadic, maybe half of the weeks have Friday double headers at most.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 6:33 PM

^^ Good catch. I hadn't noticed that over half the weeks this season had single games on Friday night.

That said the one Friday night this game (the home opener) had lower attendance than this past Thursday's game. If people want more Friday night summer games they need to vote with their butts and get them into seats at the stadium regardless of the opponent.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 7:01 PM

^ They hit the 30,000 mark for the home opener on a Friday night, it's not like the game was poorly attended. Attendance dropped by over 5,000 for the game the week after on a Thursday night (although I suppose it didn't help that the Bombers lost their home opener).

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 7:57 PM

I could be wrong, since the CFL is hiding attendance numbers due to the league wide issues on that front, however I was at the home opener and it definitely didn't feel anywhere near 30,000 in the crowd. While I had to miss Thursday's game from all reports it was close to a true 30,000 in attendance.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I could be wrong, since the CFL is hiding attendance numbers due to the league wide issues on that front, however I was at the home opener and it definitely didn't feel anywhere near 30,000 in the crowd. While I had to miss Thursday's game from all reports it was close to a true 30,000 in attendance.
The CFL isn't hiding attendance figures, it's there on the league website and at the bottom of every box score. Attendance is roughly on par with past years except for Toronto where it's down from the average over the last decade.

I was at the home opener and I wouldn't dispute the crowd number. It didn't look that much different than last week's game although the fans were way more into it last Thursday which may have made it seem like the crowd was bigger?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 3:00 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Another win for the Bombers, and this time, in double overtime!

Not as dramatic as a month ago at Iggy Field, but Medlock with another kick to win the game!

EDIT: Seriously, the west is stacked AF!!

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 5:07 AM

Running the table for August is pretty impressive.

I don't believe that we are a great team. But we are realllly good, and appear to be tough mentally. I'm not sure it is a championship year, but we're going to be a tough out. This is an easy team to cheer for numerous personable and likable players. It's nice to see Winnipeg become a model of stability.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Running the table for August is pretty impressive.

I don't believe that we are a great team. But we are realllly good, and appear to be tough mentally. I'm not sure it is a championship year, but we're going to be a tough out. This is an easy team to cheer for numerous personable and likable players. It's nice to see Winnipeg become a model of stability.
I would say we're great. Not elite yet, but great. The stability thing is huge though - we never used to be able to finish tight games, and now we can with consitency. A lot of people hate on O'Shea, and I'll agree sometimes he makes some bad play calls - but I think in terms of coaching, he seems incredible. The players love him. And so what if he's "laid back" after losses and in interviews... just shows he's confident in the team.

For the record, Bombers are 17-5 in their last 22 regular season games. That is damn impressive.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan