HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Capital Pointe in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Regina Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 7:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by darclar View Post
I stopped by the site on the weekend, and there were two employees putting fences back up, it looks like the construction trailers have been removed. Not like we needed any more signs that this project is doomed, but there is now no place for construction workers to muster. I really hope this deal officially gets axed and the site gets sold to a repuatble developer that can deliver on a vision.
FOR SALE

Giant hole in the ground

Great location

Best offer takes it

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
FOR SALE

Giant hole in the ground

Great location

Best offer takes it
Sweet new downtown home for this guy?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 4:36 AM
arf

Le sigh. Can we get our lanes back soon?

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 1:56 PM

^ We feel your pain

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 3:39 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Le sigh. Can we get our lanes back soon?
I'd like the sidewalks...

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
At this point, I think gravel parking lot with no landscaping would be preferable.
Maybe they'll finally build the Chateau Qu'Appelle that Grand Trunk Pacific Railway started in 1913, too!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I'd like the sidewalks...
Looks like you're getting your wish...
http://ici.radio-canada.ca/amp/10517...-retard-delais

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 3:46 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Très intéressant

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Can't believe it took them this long to bring in the sea can pedestrian walkways. Commonplace in most other centres for large projects like this (all over NYC; Ottawa; Vancouver; Toronto; etc). The municipality typically requires projects to maintain safe pedestrian routes during construction (rather than completely closing a sidewalk, as Regina seems to prefer, see: Tower III; AgPlace; H&M; CP; etc). Many cities are much more cramped for road space in their cores than Regina is... yet they routinely (not always) find ways to keep pedestrian access available.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Can't believe it took them this long to bring in the sea can pedestrian walkways. Commonplace in most other centres for large projects like this (all over NYC; Ottawa; Vancouver; Toronto; etc). The municipality typically requires projects to maintain safe pedestrian routes during construction (rather than completely closing a sidewalk, as Regina seems to prefer, see: Tower III; AgPlace; H&M; CP; etc). Many cities are much more cramped for road space in their cores than Regina is... yet they routinely (not always) find ways to keep pedestrian access available.
http://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4259551

Based on the article, looks like we can thank the City for making them restore sidewalk access.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike328 View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4259551

Based on the article, looks like we can thank the City for making them restore sidewalk access.
The city needs a demand a bond for large projects like this, so that when it fails we'll have some money to fill the hole.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
The city needs a demand a bond for large projects like this, so that when it fails we'll have some money to fill the hole.
Bingo.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
They still have the right to charge the cost to the property tax account in priority to mortgages. If there was actually a hazard, they could fill the hole and be indemnified by the value of the land. The City could even sell the land and pay themselves first.

I don't think added more red tape and costs to projects will help get projects built in this City.

I am not aware of any hazard at this time. The hole appears to be fully shored.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
They still have the right to charge the cost to the property tax account in priority to mortgages. If there was actually a hazard, they could fill the hole and be indemnified by the value of the land. The City could even sell the land and pay themselves first.

I don't think added more red tape and costs to projects will help get projects built in this City.

I am not aware of any hazard at this time. The hole appears to be fully shored.
For an average project, with an average developer, and average delays... I agree, more red tape is unnecessary. BUT Cities do need the ability to address extreme cases. A Demand Bond is a common & relatively inexpensive tool. Project proceeds roughly on planned timeline... the Demand Bond is an inexpensive insurance. Project goes off the rails & City needs to step in/taken action... Demand Bond is there. Insurer (SGI offers these, as do others) can choose to go after the bond-holder to recover the cost... they usually do.

Adding to the tax account of an entity that has either gone belly-up, is in trouble, or has a bunch of lawyers on speed-dial, isn't likely to yield revenue to cover the City's costs. Blood from a stone.

I think the bigger issue is the City's approach to development - we need policies to encourage developers to keep things moving/follow-through on commitments/etc (removing some red-tape may be one of the things needed). 99% don't need to be prodded.

For the minority that don't meet requirements (with reasonable exceptions), these same policies/bylaws need to give the City a hammer they can use.

Based on the CBC's story yesterday - the City cannot refuse to issue a building permit extension, so long as Nat'l Building Code & City Regulations are being met. The LP's story says permit holders have 6months to start, and 2years to finish the permitted work.

Something doesn't make sense here - they have 2 years to finish, but if they don't - according to the CBC - the City must issue unlimited extensions... but not meeting the 2year requirement should contravene a City requirement... so the City should have the ability to deny a permit extension. Yet they don't. This is a problem.

A Demand Bond would also be helpful in the case of the building at Albert/11th. After 4-5yrs of aggregate instead of a sidewalk, the City had every right to step in, pave the areas, and tack it on the developer's taxes... but I bet they knew the developer was broke, so they'd essentially be eating the cost of paving. Demand Bond would have addressed this problem - failure to meet a project requirement, City calls the bond. In my experience, SGI pays their demand bonds within a couple days... and then goes aggressively after the other party (something I don't think the City has the stomach to do).

[rant warning]
Once again comes back to the City of Regina being behind the times/hesitant to move decisively - can't please everyone all the time, need to find solutions that are in best interests of the City.

Parking enforcement (until recently) and snow routes are examples of this hesitation/hesitation approach. Even though no one likes getting tickets/towed, all Canadian cities enforce parking bylaws. Most cities focus on key areas (downtown, near schools, hospitals, etc), but many also proactively enforce key parking bylaws across the city... residential, evenings, weekends, etc. This is just a fact of life & people get used to it. In Ottawa, max on-street parking anywhere in the City is 3hours (7am-7pm, 365 days of the year). Everyone knows this. You can expect a ticket for parking in front of your home for 4-5hours on a Saturday, or a holiday. Extreme? Sure - probably is... but people adapt & move on. In Regina - even with proactive (versus previous complaint-driven model) enforcement, cars in residential areas are unlikely to get a ticket even after days on the street. Not saying this is bad - really, in most residential neighbourhoods, who cares? - just saying that even when the City gets more assertive, they're still timid compared to other cities (don't get me started about the fact we can park 2 FEET from the curb at any time of the year & not be in violation of a parking bylaw... c'mon, WTF?)

Winter snow routes are another example. Saskatoon has snow routes too (min. 8hrs notice is given). Ottawa has an automatic, city-wide on-street parking ban from 1am-7am any time more than 7cm of snow is forecast (includes forecasts like "5-10cm"). No notice issued, no signage is erected... cars are simply ticketed/towed out of the way. You learn pretty quickly not to park on-street when you need to spend an hour wandering your neighbourhood to find your car... AND have to pay a ticket.

I get that these examples are not related to development, but they do demonstrate that other cities have made decisions that they feel are in the best interests of the city as a whole... and didn't concern themselves with particular groups who will invariably not like a decision. Frankly, virtually every decision a government makes is going to displease some people - that's just reality. People will gripe for a while, then they'll get over it. Making decisions based on a satisficing model is just poor governance.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 4:52 PM

Anyone else think that Fortress was more than happy to use the sea cans... if for no other reason that removing motorists' direct line-of-site into the pit? I know there are windows that people can look into the pit through, but the sea cans create a nice wall to hide the lack of progress.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 5:36 PM

I think Hawkins is onto something that the city needs a limit on construction. This project is ridiculous. In 7 years a lot changes and the market has not been stagnant that whole time. I can't see the same demand for what this building is supposed to have. And honestly, I would be surprised if anyone still has their down payment in this project.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 5:53 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
I think Hawkins is onto something that the city needs a limit on construction. This project is ridiculous. In 7 years a lot changes and the market has not been stagnant that whole time. I can't see the same demand for what this building is supposed to have. And honestly, I would be surprised if anyone still has their down payment in this project.
Capital Pointe had a small window a few years back where people could pull their deposit, anyone who didn't is stuck; the deposit will be held in trust until either the project is completed or officially cancelled.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan View Post
capital pointe had a small window a few years back where people could pull their deposit, anyone who didn't is stuck; the deposit will be held in trust until either the project is completed or officially cancelled.
not true at all deposits are returned within days thank you

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post
not true at all deposits are returned within days thank you
Are you trying to tell us you work for Fortress?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan