HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe

Old Posted Oct 10, 2006, 1:03 PM
FutureTimeline.net

Absolutely FUCKING USELESS.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2006, 4:22 PM

It was working this morning. It was extremely quick. Never seen that before.
Afterwards it suddenly fell apart once again.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2006, 5:21 PM
SSC Fan!!!

And still, it doesn't work.

Very slow today for me!!!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2006, 6:05 PM

I don't know why they just don't close it down for a week, get it sorted and then get it back online again - yeah you might loose some people, but christ it is hard to do anything when the site is about as slow as a French lady undressing over the course of several weeks.

I say delete the skybars as well - absolute waste of space for no good rambling and concentrate back on the urban and skyscraper aspects that are the strong points of the site. A bit more like SSP, but just more of it.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2006, 6:33 PM

Worked like a charm the other night. Every page was loading in about a second.

But then again there were only 250 members on at the time.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2006, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_taylor
I say delete the skybars as well - absolute waste of space for no good rambling and concentrate back on the urban and skyscraper aspects that are the strong points of the site. A bit more like SSP, but just more of it.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2006, 7:21 PM

I agree about deleting at least the main skybar, it's absolutely useless, full of threads in a manner of "Nigerian man discovers a screeming cat" or "Guess if this man is Chinese"

Old Posted Oct 10, 2006, 8:09 PM
Lovable dictator

Is this your alter ego, Dr. Mesofius?

http://www.trekearth.com/members/Mesofius/

Old Posted Oct 10, 2006, 8:27 PM

Now that's preposterous!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2006, 8:31 PM
Lovable dictator

Do you know that guy?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2006, 9:10 PM
mumble

Here's the lineup of error messages I'm getting atm when attempting to access SSC, and they're all fatal:

www:
Quote:
Warning: Memcache::connect() [function.Memcache-connect]: Can't connect to 66.249.139.174:11211, Connection refused (61) in /includes/class_datastore.php on line 285

Fatal error: Unable to connect to memcache server in /includes/class_datastore.php on line 287
www1:
Quote:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: preg_replace() in /usr/home/jklerks/public_html/includes/class_core.php on line 1927
www2:
Quote:
Warning: Memcache::connect() [function.Memcache-connect]: Can't connect to 66.249.139.174:11211, Connection refused (61) in /includes/class_datastore.php on line 285

Fatal error: Unable to connect to memcache server in /includes/class_datastore.php on line 287

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_taylor
I don't know why they just don't close it down for a week, get it sorted and then get it back online again - yeah you might loose some people, but christ it is hard to do anything when the site is about as slow as a French lady undressing over the course of several weeks.

Nick is right. Jan's last announcement is from Sept. 22nd, and the place has been barely limping along ever since. No updates.

And eh -- how do you know she's a lady?

As to the skybars, why not start out with the UK one? Others get pruned regularly, but the UK skybar seems to be sacrosanct. It still goes all the way back to April 1, 2005! Thousands of mindless posts boosting people's post counts, excepting the occasional gem from you & Monkey of course. True, there was a big hack directed at the UK forum over a year ago, but those wounds should have healed by now. It's time to kick the patient out of the hospital! The UK forum should be forced to gain its status through other means. It's just ridiculous that a quarter or more of a forum's total posts should be contained in the skybar.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2006, 10:29 PM

^^ Unfortunately its not just the UK sub-forum, it happens all over SSC and its something that needs to be sorted out before the site bottoms out from overload of threads and posts completely unconnected to skyscraper and urban environments.

Now the hacks over the last few years (I think theres been at least two directed at the UK sub-forum) wasted away countless large construction threads - Swiss RE was probably the largest going construction thread on all of SSC, but that and all the previous versions were wiped I believe, as were countless other threads - the skybar on the otherhand escaped because its nothing except a consumer of waste and grey matter. The space that could have been used to back up those threads was wasted on people going on about "who will post last" or "those creepy crawlies scare me". I just suspect that it just becomes too hard to manage, but christ it can't be too hard to just delete such threads and free up the bandwith for more intellectually minded subjects. SSP does this, but its international focus and depth is unfortunately noway as near.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2006, 7:08 AM
FutureTimeline.net

Nick, even if we deleted every thread in the Skybar, it would barely make an iota of difference to the bandwidth.

And btw, it's "Those Creepy Animals", not "Those creepy crawlies scare me" - and both Tubeman and I agree it's the best thread ever

Old Posted Oct 11, 2006, 8:31 AM

Its working like a dream for me at the minute

Old Posted Oct 11, 2006, 10:05 AM

A comparison:

UK & Ireland Projects and Construction
Threads: 2,556

UK & Ireland Skybar
Threads: 3,721

I'd say that that is a waste of bandwith - nearly as much content is in the skybar than in all of the project and construction sections of the UK & Ireland! Thats a ridiculous situation, multiply that across all the other regional and country sub-forums, and that is a very large amount of posts that are mostly random or to boost post counts. I'd probably estimate thatn 40% of the entire site is taken up by Skybar activitiy and most of that connected not even to meaningful debate but post boosting threads.

If people want a social life, talking online isn't the place to do it - going outside is and meeting people face to face is, and you know what - it wouldn't suprise me that the majority of those who spend their days wasting away on the skybars haven't had sex for a long time.

Hell, this thread is starting the same at SSP - at least I have something meaningful and important to point out - but the hordes of posts here are of people complaining of being deprived of SSC, despite the fact that most of those people tend to be the same people who clutter the bleeding skybars up in the first place which leads to the problems we have. Nearly 20% of all posts on the Europe section here at SSP is taken up just by this thread alone!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2006, 1:40 PM
metro

if the skybar went all the other "serious" forums would end filling up with crap, but i think i know where your're coming from. perhaps turn the skybar into an adult dating forum, i dunno....i doubt if there'd be enough women though

Old Posted Oct 11, 2006, 5:23 PM

Of course close skybars and ban people like effer lotrfan bikkel and wanch!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2006, 6:23 PM
Administrator

The problem is that there are skybars everywhere... I wish the other Admins would have heeded my advice long ago and left the forum having one front page collection of Skybar/off topic forums, leaving the regionals strictly for serious, on topic discussions of highrises, urbanism, and so on.

of course, from an administrative standpoint, the allure of having all of those forums is that there are lots of discussions raging everywhere, 24/7, which means lots of traffic... And on the net, lots of traffic inevitably translates into lots of $$$$ at one point or another.... It's a delicate balancing act, believe me.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2006, 6:47 PM
Honored Member

The fact is that all those skybar addicted people have lots of possibilities to go on other websites or as such to talk about anything they want to.

This forum aswell as SSC is in fact a forum about architecture and nothing else.
So allow me to ask you this question: why do you even tolerate all those SSC skybars , they mean lots of traffic but they are certainly blocking people with a healthy interest in architecture who often are inaccesable to SSC and often SSP due to the heavy skybar users.

Some people who are registered just to talk about crap...get rid of them
I don't need to say what the staff should do at SSC but at least they have to think about this , in other words get rid of those crapbars or keep just one.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2006, 8:57 PM
Get Off Me!

SSC is superslow right now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe