HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Work has started on rehabbing Graham Ave paving stones. Some delays to transit as Graham is down to one lane.
At least they're having both ways busses take turns down graham. Previously they had re-routes to portage and it was far worse of a disruption.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
^Cool. Hopefully they add lots of plants, haha.

FYI found out today that pretty much the entire Pembina/Corydon/Osborne (southern) portion of Confusion Corner is getting rehabbed and realigned, that's why the Money Mart is still standing. Bike lane will end at Warsaw for the winter and next year Money Mart will be expropriated and the rest of the bike lane and road enhancements will be finished. They fell behind this year and didn't want to start half of it before winter.
Reason it isn't being done this year doesn't have anything to do with falling behind this year, it was because of problems acquiring Money Mart property. There would have been plenty of time to do it all this year as the work would happen concurrently with the northbound work between confusion corner and Grant, but that part of the project was changed to 2018 already this past winter... Still hasn't been ironed out as of today so I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it isn't even done next year. We'll see.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
At least they're having both ways busses take turns down graham. Previously they had re-routes to portage and it was far worse of a disruption.
They had flaggers out there directing traffic. They were even stopping cross traffic on Donald and letting buses go through. Seemed to be a good system, just a bit slower of course.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman View Post
Reason it isn't being done this year doesn't have anything to do with falling behind this year, it was because of problems acquiring Money Mart property. There would have been plenty of time to do it all this year as the work would happen concurrently with the northbound work between confusion corner and Grant, but that part of the project was changed to 2018 already this past winter... Still hasn't been ironed out as of today so I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it isn't even done next year. We'll see.
I was speaking to an engineer working on the project saying they wouldn't have had time to finish, as the street realignments at CC are complex, as they obviously can't just close the area to traffic.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 1:07 PM

Quote:
I was speaking to an engineer working on the project saying they wouldn't have had time to finish, as the street realignments at CC are complex, as they obviously can't just close the area to traffic.
No worries, it makes sense that that's what they would tell you, could even be possible that that's the reason they were told, but it isn't true... I was involved in the process over the winter, and still involved now. Sorry if I'm coming across as a jerk, no offense intended.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 3:47 PM

All good. Are there any major changes happening to how Transit functions in that triangle and on Osborne? It seems like now would be the best time to make changes, as there's been chatter for years on how to improve CC. With the apartment soon to follow the office tower, it may inspire the giant parking lot owner to do something better.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 5:17 PM

Are the bike lanes on Garry / Fort or whatever going to happen at all now? Haven't heard anything about them and construction was supposed to start this summer IIRC.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree View Post
Are the bike lanes on Garry / Fort or whatever going to happen at all now? Haven't heard anything about them and construction was supposed to start this summer IIRC.
They're going to happen, but have been delayed until 2018.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseman View Post
Surprise, surprise .

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 4:51 PM

Quote:
All good. Are there any major changes happening to how Transit functions in that triangle and on Osborne? It seems like now would be the best time to make changes, as there's been chatter for years on how to improve CC. With the apartment soon to follow the office tower, it may inspire the giant parking lot owner to do something better.
No functional changes to the transit triangle or Osborne. Just adding the bike lane in the northbound curb lane and reconfiguring how northbound traffic splits when approaching CC. Mostly just changing the geometry and reconstructing the pavement/sidewalk for the northbound lanes from Jessie to Osborne.

As an FYI regarding schedule, it really sucks that the Money Mart expropriation screwed up the schedule because all the work should have and would have been completed this year and there wouldn't be any traffic disruptions in that location in 2018. Instead, because of that shitty little building and not getting things sorted out in time there will be a 3rd season of construction (minimum a couple of months) in the stretch around confusion corner to mess up traffic. Unfortunately it's typical for this City, being proactive is a foreign concept and the people of Winnipeg are the people that are going to suffer through traffic/inconvenience because paperwork got dragged out.

Last edited by pacman; Aug 17, 2017 at 4:57 PM. Reason: added last paragraph

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseman View Post
Thanks. They seem to be doing some work on Garry and Fort right now with pipes so maybe that was an unexpected but necessary delay. Still a bit of a bummer.

Do you know if they are going with the 1way on Garry, 1way on Fort bike lane layout (so each street gets a protected bike lane, going in the direction with traffic) or if it was going to be just on Garry (2 way traffic bikeline on Garry - nothing on Fort). Last I saw it was just the 2 way on Garry which is better than nothing but not the best option.

Last edited by tree; Aug 17, 2017 at 6:01 PM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree View Post
Thanks. They seem to be doing some work on Garry and Fort right now with pipes so maybe that was an unexpected but necessary delay. Still a bit of a bummer.

Do you know if they are going with the 1way on Garry, 1way on Fort bike lane layout (so each street gets a protected bike lane, going in the direction with traffic) or if it was going to be just on Garry (2 way traffic bikeline on Garry - nothing on Fort). Last I saw it was just the 2 way on Garry which is better than nothing but not the best option.
Last I heard, they're going with the two-way option on Garry.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 6:18 PM

They are fixing Graham. No more bricks. Expensive but well worth it.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
During the pour, and maybe all day yesterday, they had buses travelling east only down Graham.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 8:01 PM

^They have buses being re-routed down to St. Mary. That was this morning heading westbound on Graham, I turned off at Garry I think.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
^They have buses being re-routed down to St. Mary. That was this morning heading westbound on Graham, I turned off at Garry I think.
Makes sense. I saw the bus stop in front of Boston Pizza. Graham west bound will be closed for a few weeks as they are now setting up a concrete pour between Donald and Hargrave. They dug up the bricks and called it a day at noon or maybe they were gone for lunch. They did a good job at the Donald Street intersection.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 7:28 PM

Yesterday they had the stop at Hargrave by BP. Today the stop was 1 block east at Donald.

I assume they'll reverse the detour when the switch to the westbound lanes of Graham. Busses may have to go down to York. Or maybe they'll continue with the same detour and just have the WB buses in the EB lanes on Graham.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 9:38 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Why isn't there a York bus route?

I know because I lived in the neighborhood for over 20 yrs. It's a fair distance between Graham-Portage and Broadway.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 9:41 PM

That's a good question. With the way Graham gets backlogged some days, might be worthwhile to route some of those buses down York.

At the WB City Place stop on Graham, they can only fit 2-3 buses between the stop and the traffic light before. So lots of times buses have to wait for the light cycle. Gets a bit slow sometimes.

Same with the stop on Portage at MTS Centre. Constant back-ups waiting for cars and buses to get through the light cycles. Albeit only at rush hour, so a bit on inconvenience isn't the end of the world.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 4:25 PM

Just a guess but when Graham was made bus-only any that were previously on York and St Mary's likely moved there. It is also only one block from York to Broadway which has limited bus service.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan