HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 12:12 AM

No, since the numbers quotes are for different days.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 12:24 AM

Not to channel zwei in here, but what methods are they using to count E and M lines?

I haven't had any lineups, it sure is nice to have all of the new cars running all the time.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 12:47 AM

^ Don't worry about Zwei, he declared he is taking a sabbatical to do "research" (http://railforthevalley.wordpress.co...-a-sabbatical/)

On downtown E-line stations, the often back-to-back 4-car MK2 trains less than 1 minute apart do effectively clear platforms most of the time, in contrast with 3-minutes-frequent C-Line.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLC View Post
^ Don't worry about Zwei, he declared he is taking a sabbatical to do "research" (http://railforthevalley.wordpress.co...-a-sabbatical/)
Wow. He said "enjoy the Olympics".

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 2:49 AM
BANNED

Over 700,000 on Sunday. A funny quote from Doug Kelsey, the CEO B.C. Rapid Transit Company, the only part of our transportation system that has no pistons, "Clearly all pistons are hitting and it's really exciting." As well, it should be "all pistons are firing" as it "firing on all cylinders. You don't really want your pistons hitting anything.

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/l...shColumbiaHome

Quote:
TransLink broke ridership records over the weekend, transporting more than 700,000 commuters between the Expo, Millennium and Canada Lines on Sunday alone.

Despite some lengthy lineups reported since the Olympics opened on Friday night, transit officials claimed a successful first leg of Games service on Monday afternoon.

"It's going tremendous," Doug Kelsey, CEO of the B.C. Rapid Transit Company said. "Clearly all pistons are hitting and it's really exciting."

With thousands of Olympic tourists in town, and Vancouverites urged to abandon their vehicles in favour of public transportation, Kelsey said a record-setting 500,000 people rode the Expo and Millennium Lines on Sunday. Another 210,000 rode the Canada Line.

The number of bus passengers was not yet available, but Kelsey estimated it would double the total ridership for the day.

He also praised passengers' patience, and warned of more lineups and delays to come.

Five Olympic hockey games are scheduled on Tuesday – including the Men's Team Canada's first bout against Norway – and transit could be crowded.

"There's going to be real significant surges," Kelsey said. "Just be ready for those extra lineups and plan accordingly."

With a report from CTV British Columbia's Stephen Sma
Zwie's research is probably counting SkyTrain ridership to "prove" TL wrong.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 2:55 AM
HA

Quote:
Originally Posted by racc View Post
Over 700,000 on Sunday. A funny quote from Doug Kelsey, the CEO B.C. Rapid Transit Company, the only part of our transportation system that has no pistons, "Clearly all pistons are hitting and it's really exciting." As well, it should be "all pistons are firing" as it "firing on all cylinders. You don't really want your pistons hitting anything.

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/l...shColumbiaHome

Zwie's research is probably counting SkyTrain ridership to "prove" TL wrong.
Can any of you guys upload the ctvbc news video in the internet link onto youtube? I want to see it but it doesn't allow me to do so since I'm in the US (Screw you ctvbc!!). That'll be great, thanks!!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 9:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Henry_Man View Post
Can any of you guys upload the ctvbc news video in the internet link onto youtube? I want to see it but it doesn't allow me to do so since I'm in the US (Screw you ctvbc!!). That'll be great, thanks!!
LOL I've got the same problem in trying to see the NBC videos it won't allow me because I'm not in the USA

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 10:25 AM
Big City Enthusiast

wow, 710,000 passengers and ON A SUNDAY!!!

just goes to show you - SkyTrain is the way to go. I hope people will keep it up once the games are over, hopefully having 500,000+ riders per day. Hopefully, the kinks have been worked out and Translink will see their much needed commitment to make all of this work successfully. ....

Add in the Evergreen, Millennium extension to UBC, and Expo Line extension and upgrade to full metro capacity - wow, could 1,000,000 passengers per day be achieved during future major events?

I hope the city goes all out now and go ahead and build all of the SkyTrain metro lines. It has clearly proved itself and with the expansions, extensions, new lines and improvements (faregates) - Vancouver will and should have a fully functioning system that would be the largest on the West Coast of North America (and one of the top 5 to boot).

Wow!

This is serious vindication for SkyTrain and its viability as a metro.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 11:34 AM

The amazing part is how we wondered if the whole skytrain network including Canada Line. Would pass 500,000/day during the Olympics.

Not only did we pass that number we absolutely and completely crushed that number. And to thing the busiest days are still ahead of.

Hmm I wonder how a street grade LRT that apparently is better. Would have handled things.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabotp View Post
Hmm I wonder how a street grade LRT that apparently is better. Would have handled things.
It would still be stalled in a protest rally somewhere. Zwei's head would explode.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabotp View Post
LOL I've got the same problem in trying to see the NBC videos it won't allow me because I'm not in the USA
google "IP Spoofing"

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 11:14 PM
HA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
google "IP Spoofing"
So, how can I make it so that i can watch ctvbc news videos online here in the US?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
It would still be stalled in a protest rally somewhere. Zwei's head would explode.
I wish I could see that.

Last edited by deasine; Feb 17, 2010 at 1:54 AM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Henry_Man View Post
So, how can I make it so that i can watch ctvbc news videos online here in the US?
Once you have IP Spoofing software running so the internet 'thinks' you're using a canadian connection, you can surf to http://www.ctvolympics.ca/ or http://www.ctvBC.ca/ to get your fill of Canadian Content.

Last edited by jsbertram; Feb 17, 2010 at 6:21 AM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 6:02 AM

Memo to Gordo. Lesson from the Olympics and actions to take

1 Build Evergreen NOW
2. Build Broadway skytrain NOW - no more studies, no more NIMBY pandering - get it built. NOW
3. Buy another 20 cars for the Canada Line and extend the platforms. Order the C-cars (you'll need 20 of them too)
4. Get on with expanding Expo Line and buying more SkyTrain cars

DO IT...

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightrail View Post

1 Build Evergreen NOW
2. Build Broadway skytrain NOW - no more studies, no more NIMBY pandering - get it built. NOW
3. Buy another 20 cars for the Canada Line and extend the platforms. Order the C-cars (you'll need 20 of them too)

DO IT...
*edit*

5a. Bombardier streetcars from Granville Island to ScienceWorld, Gastown and Stanley Park

5b. Bombardier streetcars in a Burrard Street subway from the Convention Centre to Granville Island; on the surface running down Arbutus tracks to Marine Drive; Riverfront Streetcar along Marine Drive / Kent Avenue / Marine Way (Burnaby) tracks to Westminster Quay market.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 6:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightrail View Post

1 Build Evergreen NOW

DO IT...
Make sure he gets the memo, premier@gov.bc.ca

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 6:38 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Make sure before you send the memo that you send a certified cheque for $7Billion, I'm confident if you do that he'll listen.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Make sure before you send the memo that you send a certified cheque for $7Billion, I'm confident if you do that he'll listen.
Or a sizable liberal party donation ...

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 8:08 AM

i bet gordo will step aside soon once the games are over

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure