HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 11:32 PM

Hwy 91 and Nelson rd interchange

Before they built the interchange, thought it is good for traffic, but after it open, almost everyday, the S curve blocked, sometimes extend to Alex Fraser Br. They limit the trucks on westminister Hwy, all trucks must be hwy 91. The three lanes between Nelson to Knight is necessary. Any opinion?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 11:50 PM

I agree completely, and have thought so many times in the past year. All of the necessary over/underpass space already exists to allow for an expansion to 3 lanes from Nelson to Knight/99. A second phase, going 3 lanes to Westminster Hwy (where the rest of the truck traffic comes from), would only require the one rail crossing to be widened. It would make for a nice cheap pre-election promise and I hope it comes to reality.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 1:03 AM

1 HOV + 3 general purpose from Highway 99 to the 91A would be beneficial.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 2:25 AM

Yah what is another 100 million?
We don't have any other priorities for transit or anything else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
I agree completely, and have thought so many times in the past year. All of the necessary over/underpass space already exists to allow for an expansion to 3 lanes from Nelson to Knight/99. A second phase, going 3 lanes to Westminster Hwy (where the rest of the truck traffic comes from), would only require the one rail crossing to be widened. It would make for a nice cheap pre-election promise and I hope it comes to reality.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 3:30 AM

3 laning from Shell to Nelson, plus proper Highway 1-style median light posts. That shouldn't be expensive at all.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tybuilding View Post
Yah what is another 100 million?
We don't have any other priorities for transit or anything else
3-laning from Nelson to Knight/Jacombs would be probably 5 million... there is nothing to be done except preload and pave. 4-laning Nelson to Knight would only cost a bit more as the underpasses would need re-landscaping. It only gets expensive if you want to add lanes east of Nelson, which is not where the problem is anyway.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
3-laning from Nelson to Knight/Jacombs would be probably 5 million... there is nothing to be done except preload and pave. 4-laning Nelson to Knight would only cost a bit more as the underpasses would need re-landscaping. It only gets expensive if you want to add lanes east of Nelson, which is not where the problem is anyway.
Thanks for all your opinion. In the near future , 5 million can save ten thousands commuters lots of time is worthy.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 11:55 PM
(daka_x)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouverer View Post
Before they built the interchange, thought it is good for traffic, but after it open, almost everyday, the S curve blocked, sometimes extend to Alex Fraser Br. They limit the trucks on westminister Hwy, all trucks must be hwy 91. The three lanes between Nelson to Knight is necessary. Any opinion?
It seems this is only occurring on the peak hours because for most of the rest of the day from what I see this ramp isn't very well used. Myself I haven't ran into congestion on this stretch and I commute it every weekend, but that happens during the evening hours. I feared it in the same way though and I agree with your thought.

East of Nelson I don't see much of a need for a 3-laned westbound ROW though; plus it might be complicated if any 3rd lane were to extend from 91A west of the Westminster Hwy exit. How would there be a safe exit (i.e. no weaving) onto Westminster at all, unless a C/D setup with overpasses (similar to what is planned Rte 1/Willingdon/Grandview) is used?

If anything like this I'd like to see if there would be an opportunity to construct transit priority facilities (shoulder?) for use by the 410 on the 91. With all due respect IMO however, I would rather see any such money used towards an east-west at-grade rail rapid transit route that could extend from 22nd St to Bridgeport (then beyond) inexpensively via the railway row parallelling Marine, over near Knight Street Bridge, past Summer Night Market and then inexpensively again down the unused railway ROW/bike trail to Bridgeport - to complement the service provided by 410 & 100. I can see such a line as having a true potential to become a competitive transit option and then help decongest the Alex Fraser and Queensborough Bridge, two choke points we can't do much about capacity-wise.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 5:44 AM

It is an issue throughout the work day, including at midday. There are 3-5 large trucks entering Hwy 91 WB on every green light on Nelson Road, plus the occasional non-truck traffic. A similar amount exit on Nelson in the EB direction. That traffic is quite close to maxing out Hwy 91's capacity even at midday.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure